Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cooling Vests?

Colubridz
June 7th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I've been looking around for a decent supplier and with so many different makes and materials I'm really confused as to what type I should get. It would be for every day use during the summer and during trials.

Any advice greatly appriciated
Kayla

SnowDancer
June 8th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I don't know a lot about cooling vests - EXCEPT - I just happened to read about cooling beds/vests on a different, breed specific bed and apparently they do not really work well with double coated breeds (I have an American Eskimo) as the cooling feature doesn't really penetrate. Looks like your dog isn't a double-coated pup though - unless you have more than one.

Colubridz
June 8th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Yes I can deffiently see how that would happen. Duke is a mix but absolutly dies in the summer to the point I cant bring him out some days before 9:30pm.

I found this make by a company in St. Catherines. It should be arriving in a few days, very excited to try it out.

http://www.thecleverk9.ca/swampcooler.html?sc=2&category=24

Kashi
June 9th, 2008, 08:22 AM
There were a lot to be seen at Woofstock, and a couple booths had some that seemed to be a single layer of chamois-like material, with some decorations added.

So - last night, the family and I went to walmart and spent $10 on a chamois cloth, and $1 on some velcro. Going to see if I can't create my own cooling coat for Pugsley. It won't be as pretty, but as long as it's effective I'll be happy.

angeldogs
June 9th, 2008, 08:25 AM
There were a lot to be seen at Woofstock, and a couple booths had some that seemed to be a single layer of chamois-like material, with some decorations added.

So - last night, the family and I went to walmart and spent $10 on a chamois cloth, and $1 on some velcro. Going to see if I can't create my own cooling coat for Pugsley. It won't be as pretty, but as long as it's effective I'll be happy.

That's what i was thinking of doing.i bought a micro towel.we have the walk for ALS on Saturday and wanted that for Jag

Winston
June 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Too bad you were not a Woofstock they were selling them there! I think a large was around 50.00...but I have to tell you at first I thought people were dressing up their dogs in that heat...till I talked to one of the men that had one on his dogs...EVERYONE said they worked really really good! I felt under a couple of the dogs that had them on and it was cool! I wanted one for myself...:laughing:

Cindy