Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog has flea casing under the skin?

Jon4444
June 7th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I got my dog back from a friend and it had terible flea's. I gave it a few baths and got rid of the flea's but now it has casings on its stomach around the nipple.
They come out with tweezers but painful for dog, is there anything else I can do. Thanks

growler~GateKeeper
June 8th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Take the dog to the vet. If you are not sure of what it is you should not be removing it yourself especially when it causes pain to the animal.

Whatever it is, it is not fleas under the skin, ticks possibly but those do not burrow unless you pull them off & leave the head & mouth parts attached. There is a certain way to remove ticks in order to get the mouth as well. A vet can show you this.

jiorji
June 8th, 2008, 12:25 AM
my cat had that around the nipples too. SHe came from the shelter infested with fleas.

I don't think a flea bath works, because fleas jump from place to place, i doubt your house is clean. Apparently the eggs last a few months, so they'll come back.

If you take the to vet they give you something that kills them all AND the casings. Thay fall off eventually if treated. DOn't tweeze

jiorji
June 8th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Whatever it is, it is not fleas under the skin, ticks possibly but those do not burrow unless you pull them off & leave the head & mouth parts attached. There is a certain way to remove ticks in order to get the mouth as well. A vet can show you this.

she could be right tho growler.........Peanut had all these dark spots around her nipples too. It looks like blackheads :yuck: but i think it's fleas:yuck::yuck:

growler~GateKeeper
June 8th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Okay I get what you're saying - it's the larval stage of the immature flea, which btw in most cases they survive & hatch in the environment not on the animal itself. I have never seen them burrow into an animals' skin :shrug:

In anycase don't pull them out/off take the dog to the vet