Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Broke my heart...extremely obese cat

onster
June 7th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Went to visit Catnap cottages yesterday and there was this one cat there..so very very sad. Really broke my heart. He had such tiny skinnny legs and such a tiny head but he was sooooooooooooooooo huge!!! Lady said he was over 25 pounds :sad: SHe let him out of his cage while I was there. His legs were shaking when he was going down his ledge thing on to a ramp. When he tried to give me his belly for belly rubs he had such a hard time rolling over..he couldnt :cry:.

He's a short hair but he has all these little mats on him cuz he can't groom himself. When he tried to get back in the cage it took him like 4 tries hoisting himself up his ramp thing, legs quivering.

He's only 3 yrs old :yell:. I asked if the owners were doing anything about it, lady said ya he's on diet kibble. Now, I tried that on Onnie who is not that overweight at all and not only did it mess up his fur, but it he didnt lose a pound!! I suggested wet food, or maybe adding some wet food to his diet cuz it worked for my cat but I dont know if she will pass it on to his owners or if they will try. I wanted to cry for him :cry:

krdahmer
June 7th, 2008, 10:16 AM
You could print out some information put it in an envelope and ask it be given to the owners... :shrug:

I know how hard it is to see a cat suffer even if it is just from being overweight....:sad:

Oh and better yet.... tell the owners to check out pets.ca! ;)

Jim Hall
June 7th, 2008, 11:20 AM
can that be considered abuse ? i would be very very militant about that
thats just plain abuse IMHO

sugarcatmom
June 7th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Tragic. I tend not to blame the owners so much as the pet food manufacturers making the diet dry crap that is responsible for more feline obesity than any other single thing. If you can somehow get the cat's owners the link to this website: http://felinediabetes.com/ they're inevitably going to need it one day. :sad:

Jim Hall
June 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
no its abuse there os no reason shortof neglect that allows that in this day and age there is not that much too finding the appropriate reasources

duttypaws
June 7th, 2008, 01:47 PM
i would call it abuse yet... and i mean what owner lets their cat get to that size? i know some do naturall but im sure at some points ud go ok he's getting chubbier...

onster
June 7th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I don't know if I would call it abuse, I wasnt really mad at the owners just very upset for poor kitty.

I mean I have a cat who needs to lose a kg too. Within 5 months of being with us he gained a kg and I didnt notice!! He has lost some weight tho. I have tried the diet kibble under pressure from my vet, just does not work!! Thanks to sugarcatmom and others I have moved towards more wet food ( I know raw is better but as I said b4 not feasable for me now).

However, that being said with the cat at THAT weight, clearly suffering they should be doing something other than diet kibble which is clearly not working!!! Vets should get their stuff together too and realise that no, diet kibble does not work.

I will be sending a thank u note to cat nap cottages for the tour yesterday and enclose the link for feline diabetes as well as pets.ca. :pray: that kitty gets some help.

onster
June 7th, 2008, 03:27 PM
If the owners do actually come on and check this out:

Maki is a really beautiful cat. I really thought he looked part siamese and his blue eyes are stunning. It's so cute when they go kinda cross-eyed when he's looking at u, :lovestruck:

I know u care about him and u are trying with the diet kibble but its just not working (I was told he's been in before and has actually gained weight). Please please check out the cat food forum or post questions here about what you can do to help him. :grouphug:

Jim Hall
June 7th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Please However you are, you wouldnt want to live that way, do you think another soul does ? Look to your heart and your lord and do what they say.
:thumbs up:2cents:

ancientgirl
June 7th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Poor kitty. I've seen shows on Animal Planet that have shown obese animals, and it's horrible to see how much they struggle to even walk.

Love4himies
June 9th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I consider it abuse, however, people are allowing their children to become obese these days too. Very sad.

kimnmark
June 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM
That's just so sad. I'd have been upset too. From the picture you describe I would have to consider it abuse as well, that's not just a little chubby...that much fat is deadly. Poor thing!