Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog in heat

highhoney36
July 3rd, 2004, 06:56 PM
Hello, I have a question if some one might know the answer it would really help. My female golden retiever has gone into heat before her vet appointment to be spayed she ahs been in heat for about 18 days, today a male dog got into the yard and wouldn't you know the did the dirty deed, i was not happy. The owner of the male dog said he was not fixed but that he was not able to produce becasue of an injury when he was a puppy. My question is how soon will my dog go out of heat if she is pregnant? The male dog is purebred german shepard who got loose and found our dog.

I know gestation lasts about 63 days, but is there another way to tell? Do they go out of heat as soon as they mate? I have always had male dogs so I am kind of dumb on the female part of mating hahaha

Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me

LavenderRott
July 3rd, 2004, 07:08 PM
Keep her spay appointment and tell the vet what happened. If she is still in heat, you may have to wait a little bit before she can be spayed/aborted.

rebel24
July 3rd, 2004, 07:18 PM
in my experience they don't go out of heat as soon as they mate. my female when she accidently got pregnant she finished her heat cycle. then a month later she started getting bigger then we knew she was pregnant. this is just my experience.just a side not, we are working on getting her spayed right now. hope this helps.