Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog is sick: Throwing up and diarrhea

Dreamamb
June 7th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I have a small 7 pound Rat Terrior that about 8 years old and on wednesday night he started throwing up white foam and the next morning we could tell he was weak so we took him to the vet. He gave him a shot and gave up two liquid medicins to give him by mouth and told us to come back in a week. But it doesn't seem like he's getting better, he can't keep his medicine down cause he throws it up and he's varly keeping water in him. He's very weak and just walks around a little bit before laying back on his side (he's laying down right now and his paws are really cold) . His diarrhea also starting to look red. We called the vet again today and he say the red look was normal and he gave us a pill to replace one of the medicines to see if he could hold it better.

Sorry it's so long but we're very worried about him and wondered if anyone here probly knew something or maybe some advice.

Shaykeija
June 7th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I would advise you to go to another vet and get a 2nd opinion. A small dog like that can die pretty fast.

Dreamamb
June 7th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Yes hopefully we'll try that. Right now I just pray he'll live through the night.

crazymonkeys
June 7th, 2008, 05:04 AM
You need to see a different vet, because the red in your dogs diarrhea is definately not normal. Red = Blood. If your dog has had vomiting and diarrhea since wed, he is most likely dehydrated. If he can not keep anything down including his meds than he needs IV fluids (or SQ fluids at the very least). If your dog is cold, means he is not regulating his temperature. If he continues to decline I would take him to a vet hospital if there is one availible. If you can take his temperature and it is below 37.5 C he needs a heat source (ie oatbags, heating pad, warm towels etc.). What did your vet say was causing your dogs sickness? Hope your little guys ok.

hazelrunpack
June 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM
It sounds like your dog could be dangerously dehydrated and possibly need fluids. He also needs to be evaluated for what's causing the bloody stool. I hope you've taken him to an animal hospital in your area--he needs to see a vet on an emergency basis as soon as possible!!!

Good luck with your furbaby, Dreamamb. :fingerscr Please keep us posted.

Purpledomino
June 7th, 2008, 10:10 AM
OMG I couldn't reply to your post fast enough. If you haven't already, please take your dog to an emergency vet now. There is a condition called Hemmoraghic Gastroenteritis, which basically is bloody diarrhea (looks like raspberry jam) and it can be fatal. A few months ago, I lost my Miniature Pinscher to this condition, he had it twice....the second time he did not make it. This is EXTREMELY serious in toy dogs, as they do not have the reserve to endure repeated bouts of vomitting and/or diarrhea, will get dehydrated/hypoglycemic and can go downhill so fast you won't know what hit them.
The fact that your dog is weak is another reason to get there now. The vet you saw does not realize the urgency of the situation. Mine did not at first either.....please let us know how he does. Best of luck. :pray:

Adri1970
November 4th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I have a 4 year old English Setter who is in the hospital and the doctors think that it is HGE. It came on very suddenly on Sunday but thankfully I went to a hospital that was able to rule it in pretty quickly and took the best course of action. This was by far the scariest thing I have ever dealt with!!! I am hoping that she will be home tomorrow. Please bring your pet into the vet's and mention this disease as I was fortunate to get her there in time to save her life. Best of Luck!

Purpledomino
November 4th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I am glad that you got your dog to the vet and she will be okay. Just so you know, the OP posted this thread in June...and hopefully their dog has recovered. Welcome to the forums by the way! :goodvibes: