Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Long Drive

marky0140
June 7th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Hey, I gave a search to see if this'd been covered elsewhere, so forgive me if it has.

I'm moving about 1100 kms and doing it by car. I've got a small male indoor shorthair who is coming with. I was curious if anyone has any good ideas on the best manner to get him comfortable in the car on the way. I assume a small space is probably preferable but I'd like to know if anyone knows any good ideas for litter, food, and water. Its about a 13 hour drive if the roads are average, so that would normally entail a bathroom visit and a bit of food and water. I'm curious what the best method for giving him his necessities would be. I've considered setting up a larger carrier, like a large dark box, obviously with air holes, that might be able to hold a small litter box, but I recall hearing somewhere that they're less stressed in more confined spaces... Ideas would be great!

crazymonkeys
June 7th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I would definitely keep your kitty in a carrier or crate because you don't want him running loss in your car. You can make a small litter box with anything from the cardboard bottom from a case of canned food with a plastic bag or tin foil liner, if you don't have one of those you can always make a "custom" cardboard litter box by cutting down a cardboard box and using duct tape to hold it together. If you have an old small metal baking sheet or cake pan (obviously one that you don't plan on using again:-) would also work. And to make the trip a little less stressfull drape a towel over part of the carrrier and I recommend giving him a little Bach Pet Rescue Remedy before you leave. It is homoeopathic medicine that can help calm in stressful situations. It can also help him settle in his new home. I found it works great, and if your feeling a little stressed with the move you can even take it:thumbs up. Anyways hope this helps. Good luck with the move.

sugarcatmom
June 7th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Also a good idea to get your cat used to the new carrier/crate before the trip. Set it up all comfy at home so that he sees it as a safe place to go. When he's used to that, put it in the car and let him hang out in there without going anywhere. Give him treats so that everything stays happy and positive. How does he do on car rides generally? If the only time he ever goes in a car is to go to the vet, you might want practice taking him for very short car rides around the block, again with lots of treats.