Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ethel's babies *WARNING* Cute Kitten Overload!

phoozles
June 6th, 2008, 08:17 PM
So my stray Ethel called out her kittens while I was by her nesting site and after a few jumps, they were running all over me! :lovestruck: I think it helped that I came with food :laughing:

So here are a MESSLOAD of pics, because I can't chose my favorites..

Here's all three peering out at me when I returned with the camera. I thought the flash would scare them, but they didn't care.

One of the tabbies has brown eyes, the other blue. And the all black one isn't all black like I thought.. (s)he has white hairs all over! :cloud9:

phoozles
June 6th, 2008, 08:20 PM
1 The black one eating (the biggest of them all)
2 How cute is that?
3 Checkin' out the scene

Chris21711
June 6th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Too Cute, such weeny little things, what's the next step Phoozles :cat::cat::cat:

phoozles
June 6th, 2008, 08:26 PM
1. caught their attention
2 Ethel and blue eyes
3 taken when blacky FINALLY stopped eating :laughing:

Hey, the pictures would be nice.. :rolleyes: :loser:

more on the way!

phoozles
June 6th, 2008, 08:30 PM
1 brown eyes REALLY liked eating my foot
2 blacky in full glory (no, the name won't stick :))
3 proof that there are two tabbies not just one ;)

okay, one more batch coming..

phoozles
June 6th, 2008, 08:33 PM
How sweet are these little guys! I made a quick video too - we'll see if my dial up will let me upload it.. I'll try later, though, I'm hungry!

Winston
June 6th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Phoozles did you bring them home? OMG they look like they are in good health! what a good momma Ethel is! the black one is striking!

Cindy

phoozles
June 6th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Too Cute, such weeny little things, what's the next step Phoozles :cat::cat::cat:

I'm not sure.. I've already handled all three of them - I have a feeling that I could pick them up and take them over to my house, but I feel like maybe I should wait a bit longer.. :confused:

phoozles
June 6th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Phoozles did you bring them home? OMG they look like they are in good health! what a good momma Ethel is! the black one is striking!

Cindy

She's a GREAT mom - they are all plump, but poor momma is still so skinny :sad: I'm doing my best to fatten her up, but when I brought the food over, she made sure not to eat until all three were done.. :cloud9:

I haven't brought them home - I guess I could - I just don't want to freak them out.. :shrug:

Winston
June 6th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I think Ethel will let you..she has gained your trust..but if there outside she may move em..can they be segregated in your house? I am worried they met start to get curious and wonder around the area? They look really healthy!

Cindy

14+kitties
June 6th, 2008, 09:30 PM
K, first of all - you're safe! They aren't "my" kitties! Although the tabbies could be.
Second - OMG They are so CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Third - do you have that room set up for them yet? I would get them into it asap. If you have a carrier you can take them all safely across the road at one time that would be best. Mom too. Mom might think it's ok for you to play with them but if you tried taking them it might be a different story. You don't want to take the chance momma might move them. I don't think she will now but you never know.
Fourth - OMG They are so CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14+kitties
June 6th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Just took another look at the pics. :o Mom looks like a few of mine too. :) The little black guy is adorable with the white shot through his fur like it is. :cloud9: They are just too darned cute!

Sorry Winston. I didn't know you were posting at the same time :o

ancientgirl
June 6th, 2008, 09:38 PM
They're adorable! Ethel looks like such a young kitty:sad:

Maybe you can gain her trust enough for you to be able to put them in a box and walk them over to the cabinet. I hate thinking about Ethel trying to get them all across the street by herself.

14+kitties
June 6th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I hope you are going with a room and not the cabinet. If you try that and she doesn't like it she may try to take them back "home". I know you know that. Just the thought of cars scare me after losing a couple last year to cars. :sad:

hazelrunpack
June 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM
They're darlings! :flirt: Oh, man, I wish I had cat-tolerant dogs... Look at those little tykes! :D

jiorji
June 6th, 2008, 10:01 PM
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:cloud9:

this reminds me of when Twiggy was a stray kitten:cloud9: her and her siblings started running all over the place. ARe you planning on cathing them? do they let you pick them up? Food helps :thumbs up:laughing:

phoozles
June 6th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I can't resist looking at them either.. so cute!

I have a room that they could go into, but I just don't know if there is full trust there yet. I went back to see them after I posted this, and Ethel called them out to see me, just like the first time. I was playing with them, and then FH came around the corner and sat down. The kittens went into hiding again, and it took Ethel at least 10 minutes before she would call them back out. I don't know if she trusts him as much as she trusts me.. I guess she eventually did, because she called them out..

The problem is that I'm going to be out of town tomorrow - driving 3 hours to Barrie for my niece and nephew's birthday party, and I have to leave early..

She seems to keep them in a tight reign.. I think I have at least one more day.. :fingerscr

(of course, you know I'm going to head over there again soon to see if I can get them.. :rolleyes:)

Frenchy
June 6th, 2008, 11:29 PM
ohhh I love that black one ! The white fur is too cute :lovestruck: but they're all cute :cloud9:

Dracko
June 7th, 2008, 12:22 AM
They are all so sweet but the black one with the white is very unique. Wonder if the white will stick around? My pure white cat had some grey on his head but it disappeared as he grew.

When you take the kittens in you do plan to take the mom, too, right.

growler~GateKeeper
June 7th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww :cloud9: :lovestruck: Sooo Cuuuute :lovestruck:

The black one is very striking and I love the blue eyes on the one tabby how cute is that :cloud9:

kimnmark
June 7th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Oh my goodness, they are just sweetness in the flesh, er uhm fur. :)
They do look healthy, hopefully now that you are taking care of the momma she will fill out a bit. It is probably a big relief to her to know she can trust you. I'll be waiting for more pics :)

phoozles
June 7th, 2008, 07:23 AM
They are all so sweet but the black one with the white is very unique. Wonder if the white will stick around? My pure white cat had some grey on his head but it disappeared as he grew.

When you take the kittens in you do plan to take the mom, too, right.

I know - the white hairs are strange.. The black one also has a white tip on its tail and a little patch on its chest :lovestruck:

I will definitely take in the mom too :thumbs up Not quite sure what I'm going to do with all these kitties, but something needs to be done.

phoozles
June 7th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Oh my goodness, they are just sweetness in the flesh, er uhm fur. :)
They do look healthy, hopefully now that you are taking care of the momma she will fill out a bit. It is probably a big relief to her to know she can trust you. I'll be waiting for more pics :)

Don't worry, there will be more coming ;)

It's just that with my dial up, it just might take awhile. :frustrated:

chico2
June 7th, 2008, 07:46 AM
OMG Phoozles,they are such adorable little thingys:lovestruck:Ethel looks so proud laying there watching over the introduction.
What would worry me the most,would be predators,those little ones are very vulnerable once they start exploring the area.
I know,it's easy to say,but I would catch mom first,if she would go in to the carrier,then the kittens.
Leave her in the carrier until you bring her the kittens,then maybe she won't go that crazy:fingerscr
I have no experience with this,,but that's what I would try to do.:grouphug:

duttypaws
June 7th, 2008, 10:00 AM
awwwww they are so cute... look at that black one its like he's had a wee shock! ... very fluffy! :lovestruck:

phoozles
June 7th, 2008, 10:50 PM
OMG Phoozles,they are such adorable little thingys:lovestruck:Ethel looks so proud laying there watching over the introduction.
What would worry me the most,would be predators,those little ones are very vulnerable once they start exploring the area.
I know,it's easy to say,but I would catch mom first,if she would go in to the carrier,then the kittens.
Leave her in the carrier until you bring her the kittens,then maybe she won't go that crazy:fingerscr

That's a good idea, chico .. The good thing about them is that they are extremely skittish. Any slight moves and they are under cover, and being by that building, there are a lot of little holes for them to hide in - Ethel did a good job picking that spot!

I think I will try the move tomorrow - I just got home and it's pitch black right now.. Of course I had to check on them anyway :lovestruck:

By the way: they are still cute :)

I can't wait to get them out of there - there's a bunch of biting bugs around that building - I've been bitten about 10 times in the past two days :mad:

14+kitties
June 7th, 2008, 10:58 PM

Good idea Chico!
The only thing that concerns me is if mom is the one who is calling the kittens out she will also be the one calling them back in. As in telling them to run from danger. She may perceive being put in the carrier as danger. My thought would be to have FH with you as she knows him. He can hold the carrier and make sure any kittens you have caught don't escape while you get mom. The carrier would be big enough for all of them to cross the road. Then it's all done in one trip. :shrug:

phoozles
June 7th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Good idea Chico!
The only thing that concerns me is if mom is the one who is calling the kittens out she will also be the one calling them back in. As in telling them to run from danger. She may perceive being put in the carrier as danger. My thought would be to have FH with you as she knows him. He can hold the carrier and make sure any kittens you have caught don't escape while you get mom. The carrier would be big enough for all of them to cross the road. Then it's all done in one trip. :shrug:

That's a good point too.. The kittens won't come out until Ethel calls them. So if I move her into the house first, I'll never get them out..
That's why I wanted them to trust us a bit more before the move - I'm not sure how easy this will be to get all three in one shot..

Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Oh, and I thought I'd throw in some more pics too, because, why not?

1. kitten butt :lovestruck:
2. another peek shot
3. seriously - dude loves my foot :)

growler~GateKeeper
June 7th, 2008, 11:27 PM
:laughing: Kitten butt :lovestruck: so cute :laughing:

I think you won't have a problem nabbing the one who loves your foot :laughing:

Have you brought them some tasty treats? like a bit of chicken or cheese? tempt them to come closer :mwaha: :D If you & FH can nab the 3 kittens all together it would be easier than grabbing singles. Once you have the kittens Ethel will come willingly to her babies

jiorji
June 8th, 2008, 12:22 AM
CHICo!! i'm almost surprised by your comment!!:eek: OMG! maybe your cats LIKE carriers but i struggle to put my Twiggy in the carrier and at the smallest change she pushes out. :laughing:

I'd take the mom cat, take her to the shelter, then take the kittens and take them to the shelter...or whatever you're planning on doing with them.

But especially since she's a stray cat, i DOUBT that she won't bolt out from the carrier if you try to open to put more cats in there. It's not that easy to catch a stray. My parents had to do it last summer so be prepared.

:lightbulb: come to think of it...have a blanket ready and wrap her up and put her in the carrier. That's how Ms. Twiggy goes in :laughing: Easiest and fastest :shrug:

ancientgirl
June 8th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Good luck getting hold of them all. Those little guys are adorable.

chico2
June 8th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Jiorji,OH no,my cats are terrified of the carrier,it's a 2-man job getting one in there:laughing:
However this little mom,is quiet tame,goes up to Phoozles and her hubby willingly and probably has not yet had a scary experience(like vet-visit)in a carrier.
Getting the mom first,if the kittens go in to hiding is probably not a good idea after all:cat:

phoozles
June 8th, 2008, 09:30 AM
CHICo!! i'm almost surprised by your comment!!:eek: OMG! maybe your cats LIKE carriers but i struggle to put my Twiggy in the carrier and at the smallest change she pushes out. :laughing:

I'd take the mom cat, take her to the shelter, then take the kittens and take them to the shelter...or whatever you're planning on doing with them.

But especially since she's a stray cat, i DOUBT that she won't bolt out from the carrier if you try to open to put more cats in there. It's not that easy to catch a stray. My parents had to do it last summer so be prepared.

:lightbulb: come to think of it...have a blanket ready and wrap her up and put her in the carrier. That's how Ms. Twiggy goes in :laughing: Easiest and fastest :shrug:

I can't take them to the shelter - For the month of June they're having a "Cat-a-thon" because they have 25 more than capacity - they are putting the ones that have been there the longest to sleep :cry:

We'll probably keep Ethel, and I already have a few dibs on at least the black one.. I guess we'll just give the other two away :shrug: (it'll probably be really hard, though)

She's also super friendly - I've already picked her up with no problem. I could probably carry her all the way back to my house (which really isn't that far - we're directly across the street) without a carrier, but I don't know what she'll do once the kittens have been rounded up.

I have to get the kittens first - otherwise they'll never come out.

Plus with Jake, I think I've mastered the art of getting a cat in a carrier. It helps if you work with really fat one.. :laughing:

Stacer
June 8th, 2008, 10:00 AM
They are the fuzziest, cutest balls of fur ever! Makes me long for the days when Angus and Finn were that little :cloud9:

Are you going to get them today? I wish I could help. I caught two stray kittens last November at work. It ended with me getting a very sharp kitten tooth clean through my middle finger nail into my finger and a rabies scare, lol. I recommend wearing some leather gloves, because no matter how much they trust you they may not appreciate being picked up :laughing: and you don't want your finger impaled on a little tooth.

Good luck Phoozles!!

rainbow
June 8th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Awww....:lovestruck: they are just too cute for words. :lovestruck: I've never seen a black cat with white throughout like that. :cloud9: Do you know the people well that are taking it? Will we get pics when it gets older? :fingerscr

I hope the roundup goes well today. :goodvibes:

phoozles
June 8th, 2008, 08:07 PM
They are the fuzziest, cutest balls of fur ever! Makes me long for the days when Angus and Finn were that little :cloud9:

Are you going to get them today? I wish I could help. I caught two stray kittens last November at work. It ended with me getting a very sharp kitten tooth clean through my middle finger nail into my finger and a rabies scare, lol. I recommend wearing some leather gloves, because no matter how much they trust you they may not appreciate being picked up :laughing: and you don't want your finger impaled on a little tooth.

Good luck Phoozles!!

Thanks Stacer! I've actually picked up each one of them for short periods of time (Ethel too), but I did get a bit of a bite from the brown eyed one - my fault, I was feeding it chicken and forgot to always have some in my hand :rolleyes:

Awww....:lovestruck: they are just too cute for words. :lovestruck: I've never seen a black cat with white throughout like that. :cloud9: Do you know the people well that are taking it? Will we get pics when it gets older? :fingerscr

I hope the roundup goes well today. :goodvibes:

The black one does have a strange coat - no idea if it will stay that way, but either my sister or my brother wants to take it, so if that happens, we'll definitely get more pics! :thumbs up

As for the round up, it didn't go all that well.. FH had to work early this afternoon - we sat with them beforehand, but the kittens were just too skittish. Later on, after FH left, the sky started to darken, so I went to see the kittens, just to fill up the dish at least. Ethel came running out, and the wind was just so crazy that I thought I would try to get the kittens myself to save them from the storm..

I got the carrier from my house, filled it with treats and came back - by this time the sky is whipping around, it's almost black and it feels like a tornado is coming.. Ethel walked right into the carrier (no worries there!) to get the treats and Iggy (the brown eyed one), started to go in too, but the other two were no where to be seen. Soon the rain started to pelt down, and I figured I missed my window. I had a new problem - Ethel wouldn't get out of the carrier! I needed to get her out so that I could save it from the rain for the next attempt, and I actually had to force her out - I hope she doesn't hold it against me..

:fingerscr FH gets home before dark and we can try tonight, or we'll have to wait until tomorrow.. :shrug:

14+kitties
June 8th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Great attempt! At least you know mom will go in without a problem. If you can give it some time she would probably get the kids in too. But I still think the course of action should be kids first, then mom. Or kids first, carry mom. Something like that. Then again, sometimes you just gotta go with the flow, seize the moment ..... :thumbs up

FancyAppy
June 8th, 2008, 08:20 PM
There is never an overload as far as I am concerned of cute kitten pics. And these little kittens are so cute.We have not had a kitten in our house for awhile. Looking at these pics reminds me how much fun it is to be around kittens. I think all of these are adorable, esp the one your family member may take. That kitten is a real cutie.

ancientgirl
June 8th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Darn the weather!:frustrated: I hope the next try is more successful. :fingerscr

At least you have mom who is being cooperative, so that's one hurdle down.

Love4himies
June 9th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Do you have two carriers or will all of them fit into one? I was thinking if you put food in two, kittens may go into one and momma into the other. Keep getting their trust to go in the carrier and don't try to trap them in unless you are sure you can get them all, it may scare them and they won't go in again.

Good luck, they are super adorable!

phoozles
June 9th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Well, here's the latest update..

FH got home before dusk, so back we went, carrier in hand.. Ethel went in pretty quickly, and then the brown eyed one was in there, attacking it with gusto :laughing:. The black one soon followed, and I purposely picked them up a few times to get them used to it - I especially did it right in front of Ethel, and she didn't mind..

Then came the blue eyed one. *sigh* . This one is EXTREMELY skiddish. It finally came close enough, so I grabbed it (because the other two were already in the bag) and it freaked and ran back under. The next time it came out I waited a long time. It looked like the right time, so I grabbed it again, it hissed and back it went into hiding. It took forever to come back out, but I didn't want to risk grabbing it again, so we just let them play.

So the kittens are still there. The other two will be easy to get - it's just that one. And I'm sure Ethel will just follow us back to our place - no carrier necessary for her. I've picked her up several times and held her, and she has no problem with it. All four could easily fit in it, but I think it would be best to not have Ethel in there with them.

Tonight we're going to try to establish trust with the blue eyed one. If it takes the whole night to do so, then we wait another day.

I have been eaten alive trying to get these little guys - stupid misquitos! Oh well, patience patience patience..

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2008, 11:36 AM
You're getting so close! I think tonight will be the night!:fingerscr

phoozles
June 9th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I hope so Ancient! Then I have to see how Jake and Alley are going to react..

I don't know if it's the heat or what, but for the past couple of days, the two of them have been getting along pretty great. Jake hasn't really hissed at her at all (lately it's been all he's doing - even if she was across the room), and he was even playing with her for a while..

Love4himies
June 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM
How about trying some canned food on your hand. I found that really gained the trust of my foster kittens who were semi feral.

krdahmer
June 9th, 2008, 12:22 PM
:goodvibes: that today is the day!!

When we were stealing our outdoor feral's babies ( a little different than what you are doing as they trust you a bit....), we just grabbed them and no matter what didn't let go until they were safely in the carrier (mind you our hands were pretty rough after:rolleyes:). We worried about gaining trust AFTER we had them safely inside... and as Fagan can attest to, it worked, he barely remembers being a scared kitten manhandled by us. It'll be great if that third kitten gets in on his own... but you might have to just scruff him and shove him in. I know how hard it is to grab those squirmy little guys when they don't want to go.... so I hope tonight goes realy smoothly and you have no problems with Ethel either!!! :goodvibes::pray:

Those kitties are so lucky to have you! :grouphug:

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Hopefully Jake and Alley will be okay with it. I know that's hard, but right now you have to help that momma kitty and her babies.

That's a good idea about the food. Skittish kitties are so hard, but hopefully he'll come around.

phoozles
June 9th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I'm thinking a quick grab of the third one will have to be done as well. I tried it the first time, but it squiggled and hissed and I felt bad and let go - when I should have just shoved it in the carrier..

I've tried luring it with treats and cooked chicken, but it's terrified of any hand movement we make - we can't even make eye contact with it without it ducking back under cover. It kind of seems like a new development - I could have sworn that on the first night I was able to actually pick this little one up .. :shrug: I'll try the food on my hands (:yuck: :laughing:) but I'm not sure it's going to work - not with that one.. Worth a try though! :thumbs up

Thanks again for everyone's help and support - it really makes a difference! :grouphug:

Chris21711
June 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Just grab him Phoozles, he/she won't hold it against you. :cat:

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Grab and shove! I had to do that Saturday morning with Czarina to put her in a carrier. She wasn't happy, but I got her in there and she was okay afterwards. That little guy won't even remember what you did after a while.

happycats
June 9th, 2008, 12:50 PM
OMG so cute!!! I just love the colour of the black one.....he has the white hairs all over the black and fluffy.....he's going to be a real beauty when he's fully grown. He looks like Pepper!:):)

phoozles
June 9th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I wish it wasn't too hot to wear gloves - this is probably going to hurt :laughing:

Here's another pic of them, all three together - I posted it on the original Ethel thread, but if you missed it, here they are again - I love the brown eyed one's mouth in this one!

(I've tentatively named the brown eyed one Iggy - FH wants to name him - pretty sure it's a boy - Admiral Awesome, the black one Captain Cool and the blue eyed one General Ninja.. Men.. :rolleyes:)

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2008, 01:37 PM
LOL, omg don't let him name your kids!

rainbow
June 9th, 2008, 01:43 PM
LOL, omg don't let him name your kids!

:laughing: I Agree !!! :laughing:

I also agree with the grab and shove for the elusive one. :thumbs up

Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

kimnmark
June 9th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Good luck Phoozles :fingerscr:fingerscr Hopefully tonight will be the night.

phoozles
June 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Still no kittens :sad:

I went over there right after work - Ethel wasn't around, but Igby (the brown eyed one) came out after I called him, even without her there, and walked right into the carrier.. :) But, of course, I needed all three, so I left and had dinner.

Later, FH came home so we went back.. Had both Igby and the black one in there, and after a lot of patience, the blue eyed one was right next to me. So I grabbed it and put it in the carrier - but FH was too slow and didn't close the carrier fast enough so out they came :yell:

WE WERE SO CLOSE!

Anyway, massive thunderstorms came in shortly after, so we'll have to try again tonight.. *sigh*

Chris21711
June 10th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Men :wall: Hope all goes well tonight Phoozles. Did you see Ethel today?

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I hope Ethel is okay! Did you see her at all?

14+kitties
June 10th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Still no kittens :sad:

I went over there right after work - Ethel wasn't around, but Igby (the brown eyed one) came out after I called him, even without her there, and walked right into the carrier.. :) But, of course, I needed all three, so I left and had dinner.

Later, FH came home so we went back.. Had both Igby and the black one in there, and after a lot of patience, the blue eyed one was right next to me. So I grabbed it and put it in the carrier - but FH was too slow and didn't close the carrier fast enough so out they came :yell:

WE WERE SO CLOSE!

Anyway, massive thunderstorms came in shortly after, so we'll have to try again tonight.. *sigh*

You are getting so close!!
My thoughts are - if the two kitties will go in no problem then you can make sure they are in the carrier. Put the carrier sort of on edge/end and put third kitty in. This way he/she can't get out before slow FH gets the door closed. (sorry FH, Phoozles said it first :p) Even if Ethel isn't around take the kitties back to your place. She will show up, believe me! I don't think she is going to leave a good thing and she will be looking for her kitties. It worked really well for me with the last feral I caught. If it makes you feel better give it a couple of days rest to regain trust again. JMO :shrug:

phoozles
June 10th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Oh yes, sorry, Ethel is fine - she was there when we came back the second time (or was it the third? hard to keep track).. I was a little worried when I didn't see her the first time, but I guess she was just cruisin'.. When I came back the next time, a tortie was eating their food.. And I all thought was - I can't get invested in you.. you need to leave..

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Thank goodness she's fine. Poor Tortie, but I know what you mean. This morning I was talking to Miguel, telling him to keep Czarina's old food to give to the others around, and he said he was going to start putting some out for a little orange tabby to try and tame him too. NOOOOOOOOOOOO. I told him I've already got 5, I absolutely have no room for one more. The little tabby already breaks my heart, because he reminds me of Maks, but I can't get emotionally attached to another one:sad:

:sorry: didn't heat to TJ.

phoozles
June 10th, 2008, 11:47 AM
You are getting so close!!
My thoughts are - if the two kitties will go in no problem then you can make sure they are in the carrier. Put the carrier sort of on edge/end and put third kitty in. This way he/she can't get out before slow FH gets the door closed. (sorry FH, Phoozles said it first :p) Even if Ethel isn't around take the kitties back to your place. She will show up, believe me! I don't think she is going to leave a good thing and she will be looking for her kitties. It worked really well for me with the last feral I caught. If it makes you feel better give it a couple of days rest to regain trust again. JMO :shrug:

Hmm.. putting it on it's end might work.. if we're fast enough.. we've just got a problem with sudden movements and that blue eyed one.. he/she won't come over unless it sees its siblings nearby, PLUS Ethel, so if the other two are both at the bottom of the carrier on its side, I'm not sure if the blue eyed one will come close enough for me to grab it.. Hard to say, but that is worth a try..

The blue eyed one especially will NOT come out if Ethel is not there. Pretty much the only one who will is Igby. He's always the first one out, and the first one to investigate.

He found a seagull feather last night, so I went to take it from him to lure him closer the the carrier and he growled.. :laughing: That one has some food aggression issues, I've noticed.

phoozles
June 10th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Thank goodness she's fine. Poor Tortie, but I know what you mean. This morning I was talking to Miguel, telling him to keep Czarina's old food to give to the others around, and he said he was going to start putting some out for a little orange tabby to try and tame him too. NOOOOOOOOOOOO. I told him I've already got 5, I absolutely have no room for one more. The little tabby already breaks my heart, because he reminds me of Maks, but I can't get emotionally attached to another one:sad:

:sorry: didn't heat to TJ.

No problem - it's so hard, but it's true, we can't save them all.. :sad:

FH said he saw an orange one the other day that looked like it might be pregnant :wall: I'm sticking with the 'outta sight, outta mind' on this one - I have to deal with this situation first.. As long as I haven't seen it, he might be mistaken.. :rolleyes:

rainbow
June 10th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Awww, soooo close.....sorry it didn't happen. :grouphug:

Take a towel with you next time since the blue eyed one is the last to appear and if FH is too slow after you grab it then just wrap it securely in the towel and take it with you. :fingerscr

I know......easier said than done. :o

Good luck for next time. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

kimnmark
June 10th, 2008, 03:22 PM
You are surely an angel to take so much time & look out for Ethel & her wee kittens. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

phoozles
June 10th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks guys - don't really feel like an angel, but I have to follow through and help out this poor little girl who's barely old enough to have three kittens to watch over.. Plus I first came into contact with her on my birthday AND the night I got engaged.. so she's extra special to me :cloud9:

Oh, and I know I'm giving FH a hard time, but it's not really his fault - he had come home from a hard day at work, ended up quitting because his bosses were :censored: and he was STILL willing to trek across the street with me for some kitten roundup. He's actually been really supportive over this whole thing, which is kind of surprising, considering he's a dog person and REALLY wants us to get a dog.. I told him not until I see a ring on my finger - and since he gave me an 'engagement watch' instead, I've still got time :laughing:

Plus it's really hard to communicate around the kittens.. they've finally gotten used to my voice, but his is really deep, and any time he utters anything, they do a quick dash under those rocks.. so it's a lot of whispering and slight gestures with our eyes.. Man we must look like :loser:s Or at least bad mimes. :D

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2008, 05:49 PM
You are an angel, just trying to do what you can for her is worthy of angel material to me.

I hope you give us some good news soon!:fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
June 11th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Don't forget to bring lots of chicken too ;) :D

rainbow
June 11th, 2008, 02:10 AM
:fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for the next time and :grouphug: for FH :goodvibes:

chico2
June 11th, 2008, 07:39 AM
FH????? Future husband? Favorite Husband??Famous husband???Which one is it???:shrug:
Whatever he is,he is great for helping out,obviously loves cats,a great trait in anyone:lovestruck:
Good Luck!!

Love4himies
June 11th, 2008, 07:49 AM
My hubby claims not to be a cat lover :rolleyes:, but he seems to get such enjoyment out of them, and they love him to death!

I think your FH is a soft hearted wonderful person, good catch!

phoozles
June 11th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Here's how it went down..

Got home from work and FH (Future Hubby, chico :D) was napping on the couch. I put on my 'kitten catching' shorts and woke him up to tell him I was going to get the kittens.. He told me he'd join me in a couple minutes..

Went back with the carrier. Igby and the Captain (the black one, FH and I compromised :rolleyes:) got into the carrier. I had the food dish right next to the opening. Finally blue eyes came over and started eating. I stayed pretty still.. finally making some slight movements to see if it would startle it - it stayed eating.. At this point, I figured that I couldn't wait for FH - so I seized the opportunity - both Igby and the Captain were in the carrier, so I grabbed the blue eyed one (tentatively named "CC") while at the same time turning the carrier on its end and put it in. The Captain got out, but the other two were still in, so I quickly closed it. Luckily Cappy is easily lured by moving around a straw, so he came out from behind the rocks and I grabbed him, carrying him in one hand and the carrier with the other two in the other hand.. I got them in the house, where FH was still napping (good thing I didn't wait for him :rolleyes:). Ethel didn't even follow me. I had to go back and get her - I carried her into the house as well.

So all four are in my back room.

I got the Cat Attract litter, and after just about 15 minutes or so, all of them had been in it :thumbs up (of course, the kittens spent a lot of time playing in it)

The bad news: Ethel has diarrhea - this is a little graphic - it's not all liquid - there are chunks as well and it smells god awful :yuck: Her belly is still firm and round - I did see Igby nurse briefly from her, but I'm still not sure if she has worms. I saw Cappy poo and it soft but firm, so he, at least, does not have the runs. I didn't get a chance to see the other two go, so :shrug:

Also, Ethel was very upset. Whining and moaning for a good portion of the night. Sometimes she was calling them (they found a new hiding place in my back room - behind our dismantled air hockey table), and sometimes she was just making a lot of noise.. I know this is to be expected because she's in a new place, but it was still heartbreaking..

Last night, at around 2:30 AM, I got woken up to some god awful cat noises. I rushed downstairs and saw the back room door slightly ajar - I had to track them down in the dark, but I saw Ethel in another room with Jake, and she was screaming to high heaven.. It seemed to have even caught tough guy Jake by surprise! I rounded up Jake and Alley and then had to gently coax Ethel back into the back room - she was growling terribly. :sad: I don't even know how she got the door open!

This morning wasn't as bad - went in there to feed them and spend some time with them. Igby is always out and investigating, it takes the other two a while to come out of hiding every time I go back there.

The whole thing feels bittersweet - I feel bad for Ethel, and I don't really know what my next step is.. I need to get her to the vet soon, I know that. FH wants us to do a catch and release with her once the kittens are given away, saying she is an outdoor cat.. :sad:

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I'm so glad you got them! I feel bad for Ethel. I know what you are going through. I went through that last time I had Czarina inside. This time isn't so bad, but it ain't over til it's over.

I kind of hoped FH would let you keep Ethel once you found the kittens homes. What's one more cat after all.:D

On a side note, I must have grown impervious to talk of pet poop. I'm eating and your talk of runny poop had no effect on my appetite!:laughing:

phoozles
June 11th, 2008, 12:37 PM
:laughing: Well, if you saw it happen, you might be feeling differently about the poop :yuck:

I've got an appointment to take her to the vet tomorrow morning. Hopefully it's just whatever she's been eating aside from what I've been feeding her (which isn't the greatest, I know)..

FH might come around - if I remind him how sad he'd be if he saw Ethel hit by a car, he might change his tune - he's a big softie ;)

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2008, 12:58 PM
:laughing: Well, if you saw it happen, you might be feeling differently about the poop :yuck:

I've got an appointment to take her to the vet tomorrow morning. Hopefully it's just whatever she's been eating aside from what I've been feeding her (which isn't the greatest, I know)..

FH might come around - if I remind him how sad he'd be if he saw Ethel hit by a car, he might change his tune - he's a big softie ;)

Yes, play to that warm and fuzzy part of his brain. It's true though, after the emotional investment you have made her way, it would be very hard if you saw anything had happened to her.

14+kitties
June 11th, 2008, 01:01 PM
WTG ON CATCHING THEM ALL!!!
I would be very surprised if the vet told you Ethel didn't have worms. It sure sounds like it to me. She has been on her own for quite some time. It would be a miracle if she doesn't.
The howling, don't you just love it? :rolleyes: She isn't used to being confined to one room. I think once she knows for sure you aren't going to hurt her and that she is safe she will settle. Tell your FH it will get better. :D You should have heard Storm the first few nights I had her in the dog carrier. She's great now! I think the more time you spend with Ethel and her babies the better everyone will be. Ethel will settle and the babies will be more trusting. It is so much fun to have babies around. It is also so much work!
I am just so happy you got them all and they are safe! You are their :angel: for sure. Don't let momma's moaning deter you.
It is also quite possible Ethel is in heat. :eek:
Good Luck and keep us posted!!!!!
Oh, and now you have them............. pics please :D

Love4himies
June 11th, 2008, 01:18 PM
WAHOO

Please don't feel bad for Ethel. You have done the best thing for her and please if you can, don't release her back, even after she is spayed. Her life expectency will be cut in half.

Jake is lucky to not have Ethel really lay into him, momma's can be so protective (reason Sweet Pea and Puddles HATE each other)

Now for the important stuff more pictures!

Love4himies
June 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM
When you take momma to the vet, take the kittens too if you can. That way momma won't smell different to the kittens and momma won't be so stressed without her kittens.

phoozles
June 11th, 2008, 01:22 PM
WTG ON CATCHING THEM ALL!!!
I would be very surprised if the vet told you Ethel didn't have worms. It sure sounds like it to me. She has been on her own for quite some time. It would be a miracle if she doesn't.
The howling, don't you just love it? :rolleyes: She isn't used to being confined to one room. I think once she knows for sure you aren't going to hurt her and that she is safe she will settle. Tell your FH it will get better. :D You should have heard Storm the first few nights I had her in the dog carrier. She's great now! I think the more time you spend with Ethel and her babies the better everyone will be. Ethel will settle and the babies will be more trusting. It is so much fun to have babies around. It is also so much work!
I am just so happy you got them all and they are safe! You are their :angel: for sure. Don't let momma's moaning deter you.
It is also quite possible Ethel is in heat. :eek:
Good Luck and keep us posted!!!!!
Oh, and now you have them............. pics please :D

Thanks! It was kind of anti-climatic - I think it's because I did it by myself, and FH was still too groggy to give me a well deserved high five.. :sad: :D

Yeah, I figure worms are a pretty good possibility.. Can they figure that out without a stool sample?

Ethel was really confused when I first brought her in.. I got her some canned to chew on, and when Igby came up she hissed at him.. and when the Captain finally came out from hiding, she hissed at him too :eek: Once she figured out who they were, she was okay. I'm sure she'll be fine, she still comes up to us for constant lovin' and she hasn't lashed out at either of us. :cloud9:

As for the pics - I was waiting for that :laughing: I was too exhausted last night to take any pics - I'll get on it tonight :cat:

phoozles
June 11th, 2008, 01:26 PM
When you take momma to the vet, take the kittens too if you can. That way momma won't smell different to the kittens and momma won't be so stressed without her kittens.

I'm not sure that is going to happen - the blue eyed one still barely comes out from behind the table (it's almost as hard to get to as when she was outside). I could bring at least one, but maybe that would be counter productive.. ? Is there something I can do to make the return better for all of them if I can't bring in the kittens?

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Maybe put a towel somewhere that you know the kittens will be laying on, and you can take that with you? :shrug:

phoozles
June 11th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah I could try that.. The pamphlet that came with the Cat Attract said to rub the jaws of the kitties on a towel and put it with the other cats so they could get used to the scent.. Might try that with the kittens, and with Ethel, Jake and Alley so maybe they'll get along! :thumbs up

chico2
June 11th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Aww Phoozles,one day Ethel will show her gratitude towards you,by beeing a loving purry kitty,happy to be safe.
You did great,you might have to live with kitty-howls for a while,do Jake and Alley react when they hear her?
I know my Rocky would be climbing the walls and my legs:yell:
I am sure your FH(thank you for clarifying)will come around and love Ethel,it worked with my hubby and Vinnie:cat:

14+kitties
June 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM
The ol' baby powder trick will probably work. Rub it into your hands and then pet mom. Do the same for the babies before you reunite them. It should be ok. She won't be gone too long.
:fingerscr for the vet visit. If you wanted to you could just take a stool sample in for testing. You don't need to take mom if you want to give her a chance to settle for a day or two. The vet visit could wait till she is feeling more secure. JMO It may help her and the kittens not to be more stressed right now.

Sorry, missed this part. They could figure out if she has worms if they see one hanging from her butt or stuck to her fur. Other than that - nope.

phoozles
June 11th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Aww Phoozles,one day Ethel will show her gratitude towards you,by beeing a loving purry kitty,happy to be safe.
You did great,you might have to live with kitty-howls for a while,do Jake and Alley react when they hear her?
I know my Rocky would be climbing the walls and my legs:yell:
I am sure your FH(thank you for clarifying)will come around and love Ethel,it worked with my hubby and Vinnie:cat:

Actually, Jake and Alley surprisingly have ignored her cries.. It's weird - Jake used to freak out when he saw her through the window, but now that she's inside, it doesn't seem to faze him. Even when there was that showdown at 2 AM, Jake wasn't aggressive at all - he seemed a little confused, but that was it.. of course, I was awoken from a dead sleep, so maybe it was just me who was confused :D

The ol' baby powder trick will probably work. Rub it into your hands and then pet mom. Do the same for the babies before you reunite them. It should be ok. She won't be gone too long.
:fingerscr for the vet visit. If you wanted to you could just take a stool sample in for testing. You don't need to take mom if you want to give her a chance to settle for a day or two. The vet visit could wait till she is feeling more secure. JMO It may help her and the kittens not to be more stressed right now.

Sorry, missed this part. They could figure out if she has worms if they see one hanging from her butt or stuck to her fur. Other than that - nope.

Yeah, I was thinking of the baby powder thing as well.. I don't think the kittens will mind her new smell, but what do I know? :laughing:
I didn't think they could really check for worms without seeing them.. If I just bring in the poop (hopefully it can be covered in litter, because there is no way I'm catching that stuff without it :yuck:), do you think I need to call the vet ahead of time to let them know that Ethel's not coming too?

:laughing::laughing:I just got a visual of the vets expecting a cat, and all I have with me is a baggie filled with poo :laughing:

14+kitties
June 11th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I guess I missed the part that you already had the appt made. :o I suppose you should take her in then. Unless you have a great vet you can phone in the morning and have them reschedule for a few days down the road? In any case they would have to have a poop sample, litter covered or not. You should see some of the ones I had to take in. They were more litter than poop. :yuck:

phoozles
June 11th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I know, I feel bad about uprooting her so soon, but at this point, I don't know if it'll make too much of a difference.. I'll give it a shot and call them in the morning, and see what they say - my appointment isn't until 11:40 AM.. :shrug:
When I called this morning they asked me if I had time this afternoon to bring her in.. considering I was calling from work, the answer was no..

14+kitties
June 11th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I am sure if you phone in the morning and explain the situation they will let you know what they think is best. It's always good to listen to the experts. If they say bring her in I would. She sounds like she is a pretty good kitty except for the yowling. :cloud9: JMO

kimnmark
June 11th, 2008, 08:16 PM
:cloud9: I'm so happy that you have Ethel & her babies all safe & sound. I repeat you are an :angel:

growler~GateKeeper
June 11th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Way To Go Phoozles :highfive: Excellent job on the cat & kitten nabbing :thumbs up

rainbow
June 12th, 2008, 01:43 AM
WOOO HOO......so glad everything went well. :highfive:

phoozles
June 12th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks guys!

So I took Ethel into the vet this morning - she did NOT like the car - started scratching up my sherpa bag, so I had to let her out of the bag.. Once we got there she was okay, though..

Anyway, the vet at first thought she might be pregnant again because of her belly :eek: but we think it's probably gas or worms.. She said there is also a possibility of an aborted fetus in there - :fingerscr that that's not it!

She got me to take a FIV and FeLV (sp) test, which of course, has me all freaked out.. I hope she doesn't have it - I'm getting the results by phone in about 20 minutes.. She said "At the shelter, when they are positive, they euthanize them" :cry: I'm just worried about putting Jake and Alley in danger - at least they don't have access to the same room. Plus poor sweet Ethel and her babies!

She's got Ethel on antibiotics and dewormer.. Ethel is seriously the easiest cat - the pills are huge, and I managed to get it in her easily after one shot, and this was after all the stress from the vet visit! :thumbs up I've got liquid dewormer for the kittens too - I'll try and give it to them tonight - getting the blue eyed one will once again be a challenge!

Chris21711
June 12th, 2008, 01:25 PM
:fingerscr for Ethel Phoozles and all of the kittens, for Jake and Alley too.:cat:

ancientgirl
June 12th, 2008, 01:29 PM
:fingerscr I hope she's negative. I'm going to have the same issue with Czarina on Saturday.

It sounds like Ethel must have been someone's kitty. She is just so friendly and easy going.

krdahmer
June 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM
WOOOHOOOO!!!! :thumbs up Ok this AND Czarina pooped!!!! I like all this good news!

FH wants to name him - pretty sure it's a boy - Admiral Awesome, the black one Captain Cool and the blue eyed one General Ninja.. Men.. :rolleyes:)
I like those names! They're too cute... but I agree, you name the kids! :laughing: (my brother has Rosco P. Coltraine and Zeke:laughing:)

As for not taking the kitties, if they need meds for worms etc, usually the vet requires a weight on them. Whenever I take in outdoor cats I always revolution them right away (mine are on it all the time for Fagan's sake, but if not I would do them too) The revolution covers the flea possibility as well as most worms (not tape though). Depending on the weight of the kittens they can have revolution too.

Best of luck with Ethel and hubby, it'll be a long road like Ancients Czarina but well worth it. I have also done spay/release before... but only with cats that you can't even touch. She lets you pet her, so there is hope there for sure!

You certainly are workin hard for your kitty angel wings this week eh?!;):grouphug:

phoozles
June 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I've got my baby scale at home, so I can weigh the kittens to see exactly how much dewormer they need.. I was kind of hoping she'd give me revolution instead, but we'll start with this stuff.. I figure that if they do have fleas, I'd know by now.. The fleas like me almost as much as they like the cats :frustrated:

On another note: Ethel is NEGATIVE!! :thumbs up Phew! I was getting really worried there!

The weird thing about the vet was, I brought a stool sample, but left it in the car.. I kept telling them I had one, and they didn't seem all that interested.. :confused: It was kind of annoying.. (then I wondered what that smell was .. :yuck: i had left it in the car.. it's out now.. )

Plus she asked me what I was feeding them. I admitted it was crappy because I had to buy a big bag to feed them when they were outside. I told her I was feeding Jake and Alley Wellness - she looked like she didn't know what that was. She told me I should be feeding Ethel a good quality food, like Hills or, if I was going to the grocery store, Iams.. :rolleyes: I held my tongue - I was late for work..

ancientgirl
June 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM
WooHoo! Yay for Ethel! That's great!

phoozles
June 12th, 2008, 04:24 PM
:fingerscr I hope she's negative. I'm going to have the same issue with Czarina on Saturday.

It sounds like Ethel must have been someone's kitty. She is just so friendly and easy going.

Good luck with Czarina! :grouphug: :fingerscr

I often wonder if Ethel belonged to someone because of how sweet she is - but she's barely a year old - who would let her have her kittens in the bottom of some building if they owned and loved her? :shrug:

ancientgirl
June 12th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Wow, she really is a young little thing. Maybe she got away from someone. Or maybe she's just a very laid back kitty.

Anyway, I really hope you are able to keep her and find the kittens a good home.

chico2
June 12th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Phoozles,did the vet give you an approximate age of Ethel??
She most certainly at one time had a home,a home with someone who did not bother having her spayed,or bother looking for her.
So happy she is ok,no serious problems:thumbs up
This is only the beginning though,now you have to show FH what an absolute sweety she is and how greatful she would be to have a loving home.

phoozles
June 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Phoozles,did the vet give you an approximate age of Ethel??
She most certainly at one time had a home,a home with someone who did not bother having her spayed,or bother looking for her.
So happy she is ok,no serious problems:thumbs up
This is only the beginning though,now you have to show FH what an absolute sweety she is and how greatful she would be to have a loving home.

To be honest with you, the vet seemed kind of out of it.. she's not my regular one, and she was nice, but she just didn't really seem to know what she was doing.. She didn't tell me how old she was :shrug:

There are SO many strays around here.. Not sure who belongs to who, if any of them.. I say, even if Ethel HAS a home, she's not going back - anyone who would let her be without being spayed doesn't deserve that darling little one!

I only wish FH was with me at the vet today - if he had gotten the FIV fear into him like I did, he would know he wouldn't want to give her up - the thought of that sweetheart having to be put down broke my heart - so thank goodness she's okay!

btw. I tried to take some pictures last night - the kittens were doing a lot of wrestling and not a lot of snuggling - plus the lighting was bad, so I had to use the dreaded flash.. I'll try to take some more tonight and yes, I will try to get them on too.. :o

14+kitties
June 12th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Ok, I just tracked down this post. I am so tired my eyes are closing on me so if the spelling is bad, sorry. I have been on the go since 6 this morning. Seven hours of driving....:sleepy:
I had forgotten about the kitten weight for meds. Bad me. I should have remembered because I am going through that now with my little ones. They were just dewormed for roundworm with liquid and have to have their second dose on the 23rd. My vet will give me the meds to give them at home too.
I am so glad Ethel is negative! I bet that is a load off your shoulders!! FH should have been there. I bet his mind would be changed very fast. I have a feeling by the end of all of this he will love her to bits!!
Gotta hit the hay. Night kitty :angel:

growler~GateKeeper
June 13th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Wonderful news :thumbs up

*runs off to find pics*

Love4himies
June 13th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Good luck with Czarina! :grouphug: :fingerscr

I often wonder if Ethel belonged to someone because of how sweet she is - but she's barely a year old - who would let her have her kittens in the bottom of some building if they owned and loved her? :shrug:

She is definitely not full fledged feral so she would have been owned by somebody and probably got lost. How long have you been seeing her around?

kimnmark
June 13th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Woohoo for Ethel being negative!
Off to find the kitten pics now.

Chris21711
June 13th, 2008, 10:35 AM
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gifEthel is negative, Ethel is negative, pictures olease, pictures please :cat:

krdahmer
June 13th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I imagine that could well be a case of 'it costs how much to spay her?!?!' and plop outside they go.... :sad:

phoozles
June 13th, 2008, 11:18 AM
She is definitely not full fledged feral so she would have been owned by somebody and probably got lost. How long have you been seeing her around?

We've only been living at our place since last October.. I remember seeing Ethel quite a few times before I saw her pregnant, but she really started hanging around us since then - April 18th.

My "town" consists of my street.. It would be pretty easy to find her if she 'got lost', in my opinion.. She might have been a 'barn cat' - there are a bunch of farms near me.. I personally think she's just the spawn of one of the many strays around here - the frozen food place beside me feeds them, so maybe she learned that humans are good because they give them food.. :shrug:

phoozles
June 13th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Ok, I just tracked down this post. I am so tired my eyes are closing on me so if the spelling is bad, sorry. I have been on the go since 6 this morning. Seven hours of driving....:sleepy:
I had forgotten about the kitten weight for meds. Bad me. I should have remembered because I am going through that now with my little ones. They were just dewormed for roundworm with liquid and have to have their second dose on the 23rd. My vet will give me the meds to give them at home too.
I am so glad Ethel is negative! I bet that is a load off your shoulders!! FH should have been there. I bet his mind would be changed very fast. I have a feeling by the end of all of this he will love her to bits!!
Gotta hit the hay. Night kitty :angel:

Yeah, my problem with the worm medicine is that these kittens are still pretty scared of us.. They'll come close (eventually), but the moment we make a move, they run.. The only time we can really pet them is when they are eating.. They seem more scared now than they were when they were outside.. I guess they'll come around.. But I'm going to have to freak them out again by grabbing them to give them their meds.. *sigh*

14+kitties
June 13th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Awww com'on Phoozles. If I can pill a full grown feral momma cat who has only been in my care for a week you can do 3 little tiny kitties with a syringe. :D :p Joking!! I know how hard it is for babies to accept humans. AND I know how much the little beggars can hurt when they are panicking!

Where do you live? I'll come do it for you. Seriously! If you aren't too far away, I will. PM me.

Love4himies
June 13th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Yeah, my problem with the worm medicine is that these kittens are still pretty scared of us.. They'll come close (eventually), but the moment we make a move, they run.. The only time we can really pet them is when they are eating.. They seem more scared now than they were when they were outside.. I guess they'll come around.. But I'm going to have to freak them out again by grabbing them to give them their meds.. *sigh*

Have you tried the canned cat food on your hand? Kittens are ruled by curiosity and they tummies. It will make the connection between humans and food for them.

phoozles
June 13th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Have you tried the canned cat food on your hand? Kittens are ruled by curiosity and they tummies. It will make the connection between humans and food for them.

I tried that briefly with CC, but she's really freaked out.. I'll work on it again tonight .. I moved the air hockey table that they were hiding behind, and took it out of the room, so now they have to be more in the open. they still have hiding spots, but they aren't so big, so they stay out in the open more..

CC's the real challenge - If I can win her over, I'll be okay with the other two.. I'm just so impatient :laughing:

Love4himies
June 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I had to remember with the semi feral kittens I am fostering, veeerrrryyyy slllloooowwww movements, so I know what it is like :laughing:

Love4himies
June 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I had the advantage that they didn't have their momma to feed from so they would get very hungry so the cat food on the hand worked well when I needed to get a hold of one of them.

Mahealani770
June 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM
How's it going with the kittens, phoozles?

phoozles
June 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
It's going pretty great, actually. Igby, the brown eyed one, is the most personable and the least frightened - he'll come right up to me and lick my hand, try to fight it, etc. :lovestruck: :laughing:
Cappy, the black one, slowly comes around - you can play with him eventually, but every time I see him we need a warm up period..
And CC.. well, the blue eyed one doesn't trust me at all.. *sigh* .. she goes out of her way to not walk by me, and hisses at me when she can. I still managed to get her medicine in her - so hopefully by next week, she'll trust me enough that the second dose won't be so difficult :fingerscr
Ethel's doing great too, although each pill dosing is getting harder and harder.. I guess she finally figured out that she doesn't like it :rolleyes: Too bad they are horse pills and I have to give them twice a day.. Oh well, hopefully that batch will be done soon..

My other two cats seem to be okay too.. although that could change.. the room that Ethel and the kits are in is separated by a pretty heavy door that doesn't have a space at the bottom, so maybe they can't smell each other.. :confused: But the cats on either side of the door don't seem threatened in any way, so hopefully the formal introduction (once the kittens are gone) won't be that bad..

calikat421
June 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I LOVE THE STRIPED ONE WITH THE SPOT ON IT'S NOSE AND BLUE EYES, SO PERFECT, MAKES ME WANT TO REACH THROUGH MY COMPUTER SCREEN AND SCRATCH HER CHEEKS!!! SO CUTE!!! :lovestruck::cloud9: