Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training Babe to COME when called

Tess
July 3rd, 2004, 04:07 PM
We rescued our Rottie / Shep from the shelter, she is 1 year old they say. We have had her for 2 weeks now and have had to train her all over again. She is a very fast learner, but she is also a very fast runner !The only problem we have with her now is, she still wont come when we call her most of the time. If we are in the house, she comes, if we leash her and walk to the truck for a ride, she goes right to the truck without running off. But, If she is out running or to excited she will just look at us like shes thinking, " no way, I'm having fun, catch me if you can ! " then she has this look like shes laughing at us as she runs faster the other way. Can anyone give suggestions as to how to train her to come when we call her as we are a outdoors family and cant have her running all over the world ! lol ,,,, thanks for any suggestions you might have !

LavenderRott
July 3rd, 2004, 04:18 PM
Go to the nearest feed store or place where you would buy horse supplies and get yourself a lunge line. Until your girl learns "come" and is ROCK solid, she should not be off a leash or line.

The two single most important rules of come are:

1. Don't say it if you can't make it happen.

2. Don't say it if you are going to yell at the dog when it gets to you.

When you call her using the word come, if she doesn't - reel her in! And give her a treat when she gets there! For the next couple of weeks, you should be finding treats in your pockets every night when you go to bed. I have found that those little cat treats work great. They are small and the dogs love them. You have to make "come" the best part of the day. If she pooped on the floor, go get her and take her out. Don't use the word come. If she manages to get out the door without that leash or lunge line on, then use the word here instead of come. Every time you say come and she has an option, you are reinforcing her right to choose what she wants to do. Take away her options! Don't be afraid to pull on her leash and "drag" her to you, just remember the treat when she gets there.

Kari
July 3rd, 2004, 04:26 PM
LavenderRott - I hadnt even thought aobut cat treats for training, but they are perfect being soft and small - are they really ok for dogs??

LavenderRott
July 3rd, 2004, 04:30 PM
So long as you don't fill a dish and use it as dinner. LOL. I use the hard ones though. That way they don't mush in your pocket.

Tess
July 3rd, 2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks for your advise Sandi ! we do train her with her leash to come and do bring her in when she TRYS to refuse and that seems to work most of the time. She is very good about coming to us when we call her while in the house or out back. Its just when at the dog park or out other places that she says, " yeah right, I'm free, come and get me. lol, so I have had to take her to the dog park when no one else is around for that reason plus, other dogs try to bite her and then she wants to bite back. Wont be much fun in the dog park if there is fighting. Is the lunge line like a leash that you can reel in ? I'm going to check on that for sure. she has stopped pooping in the house, as we pick up her food at 7 pm and put it up. She found out that if she stands up she was able to reach it the first night,,,lol, shes not tall enough to reach top of the ref so now thats where it goes when we leave the house and at night. She will however still find one thing in the house to chew on, and its not her toys ! she has tons of toys she loves, but still finds just one thing, out of everything that she will chew on while we are gone. Never for long is she left alone, shes a child to us so we try to take her everywhere. Believe it or not, even though coming is still a problem, she does very well in public execpt the dog park no leash thingy. Thanks again !

LavenderRott
July 3rd, 2004, 04:40 PM
I avoid dog parks. It isn't that I don't trust my dogs, it is everyone else's dogs that I have a problem with. As a rottweiler owner, I have found that my dog must be on BETTER behavior then everyone else's. Just last night, poor Chase was minding her own business sitting by my side when a lab mix lunged at her all snarling and nasty. Had she defended herself, I am quite sure the blame for a dog fight would have fallen squarely on my girls shoulders. Not fair, but fact.

Kari
July 3rd, 2004, 04:42 PM
Thnaks for the info Sandi - I have had trouble finding good trainign treats, our trainer suggested semi soft only because they wont crumble and defeat the point whrne dog startsg like a vacuum cleaner with the crumbs, but I have found if they are small enough it doesnt matter anyway........

Spoiled
July 3rd, 2004, 04:43 PM
Good advise LavR! I would have said the same thing.

If she starts to playbow when you call her at the dog park, she is teasing you. Don't run after her, or it will make into a game for her. Run away from her, and she will most likely chase you enough so you can catch her. Also, just attaching the lunge line and dropping it can be a good thing, because then you can catch her by stepping on it.

A friend of mine actualy wore holes in her shoes that way! :eek:

glasslass
July 3rd, 2004, 05:01 PM
Den-Den's a min. poodle, different than dealing with a large dog. Before we get out of the car, I tell him what we're going to do, like "Let's go see Grandma & Corky!" in an excited voice. When I open the door, he excitedly runs to my mom's front door. If I don't do this, he'll hop out and look around to see if there's anything interesting to investigate. Anyplace else though, we keep him on the leash. :p

Spoiled
July 4th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Is it normal for Min. Poodles to run away when off leash? My dog would never do this unless he saw another dog, and then there is always the come command. :)

glasslass
July 4th, 2004, 07:57 PM
He doesn't run away, but he pushes the envelope by smelling the tree, than the bushes, than my mom's neighbor will see him and call him and he has to run to see her. We need to work on the "come" more. He comes, but takes the scenic tour. He was much worse when he was younger. He thought it was a big game. Now I make a point of telling him what we're doing and praise him when he runs straight to her door. ;)

Shelby
July 15th, 2004, 10:10 PM
I have a similar problem with my 9 month old GSP. He has been fantastic at coming when called (I think it's because he follows our Weimaraer when she comes back). But lately he's been choosing to ignore me when I call him back, and he comes back when he's ready. I don't really want to put him on a lead, as the two of them like to chase eachother in the park and and even being on a long lead would hinder this? Do you think I should take him out on his own for a while to try and re-teach the come command again?

Spoiled
July 15th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Yes. Put him on lead and teach the command. Repeat it over and over. When you first let them play again off leash do it in your backyard. Keep the line attached to him. When you call him to come reward him if he does, and if he doesn't then gently pull him in. I find it helps if you make a funny noise or throw something beside the dog if he is just nosing around and ignoring. Always reward your dog for coming. :)

LavenderRott
July 15th, 2004, 11:55 PM
The fact of the matter is this: every single time you tell your dog to come and he/she does not do it right away, you are reinforcing that behavior for the next time you say come. One day that command may mean the difference between life and death for your dog. I think that makes it worth to put a leash on the dog for some remedial training.

Shelby
July 19th, 2004, 11:49 PM
I've lately been calling come whenever he is running toward me, and that seems to be helping as well. We'll get there eventually...

Tess
July 20th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Thanks Spoiled ! the running away worked better then I thought. I also used it to teach her to fetch the ball or toy and BRING IT BACK. lol, she would go get it, but then she would try to get ME to chase HER. And I have to admit, I did the first few times. Then got tired and would just go sit down. She would then tease me with her toy as she ran all around me with it. I tryed your running away and you should have seen the look on her face..lol it was really very funny. Like, hey, you stole my idea! Anyway. thanks again !
The getting her to come part, since the day we brought her home I have always explained in detail to her what we are doing. I also ask her if she wants to go to grandmas, park, takin Cody to school. She is very very good at leaving the back door and going straight to the truck, where she sits and waits. When I get there, I open the door and tell her to load up. Now there have been a few times, shes decided to see if he can take a side trip first. I tell her No Babe, we need to go to ?? now load up. And she runs for the truck. Good luck ! :rolleyes:

Spoiled
July 22nd, 2004, 12:09 PM
I'm glad that works. I've had to use it with my dog a lot. :D