Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat peeing problem

miyuki
June 5th, 2008, 08:49 PM
hi everyone and i will like to say thanks for reading this before i continue.

i have recently moved in with my bf and he has 3 cats, Cj and Kasey are about 3.5 years old and Raven is about 9 months old. All the cats have warmed up to me but lately i found that Raven decided to pee on a few objects that i use, one being a jacket, which fell off a hook, another near my shoes, and one on a plastic bag i was taking my shopping out of. All 3 cats have a clean bill of health and up to date on shots and what not. I have personally never owned a cat before ( im more of a dog person) so im not to sure how i am supopsed to correct her, or if there is a reason for her to be doing this. any suggestions or information on this would be awsome =).

Frenchy
June 5th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Maybe she knows you're a dog person :laughing:

just kidding , you should always start by taking her to a vet to rule out urinary infection or other health issues ... then if it's behavioral , I'm sure other members will come and help you with some good advices.

growler~GateKeeper
June 6th, 2008, 12:01 AM
A vet visit is the first step to rule out a medical issue such as urinary infection, etc.

Then if all medical issues are ruled out it is on to other things:

Alot of animals get very stressed when there is any new changes (new house/moving/new person coming in/new animal coming in) in their homes/lives. Stress can be exhibited in many ways: peeing, sickness, hiding, fighting, etc.

She could be marking her territory on/near your stuff - to let you know that's "her" house :D Be the one to feed the cats, play with them, brush them - gain thier trust, show them you are not taking over and going to remove them. Don't smother them but show affection and let them have time with the bf as they did before you moved in

im not to sure how i am supopsed to correct her

You don't correct them for a pee/poo incident ever. That would only increase their stress making them prone to repeating it. They also don't know what you are correcting them for even if it just happened in front of you, depending on the reason for the peeing - the behaviour is normal to them. For example if the cat has a urinary infection, you'd be correcting them for reacting to being sick.

miyuki
June 7th, 2008, 07:10 PM
vet came up with nothing shes in perfect health, and shes doing better now. i got some cat toys i can interact with them, and a few of there treats, andi got my bf to let me feed them so they get used to me being around and thepeeing seemed to of stopped =) thanks for the responce