Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Noid Update: blocked again :-(

Crestedcrazy
June 5th, 2008, 05:48 PM
So as the title says Noid had a set-back again yesterday and he blocked so back to the vets we went!

Now I am almost 100% convinced that the stones she found yesterday when she did the catheter again were just some rouge stones that were missed previous to the surgery he had.... at least I hope so!

The vet isn't convinced and says she believes she got them all but really it was a bloody mess in there literally and as much as she did a great job I imagine it still would have been hard to know for sure.

But as I knew though the surgery was just to make the passage shorter and wider so he could pass the stones more easily as he would always and forever more be a stone former.

Same boat as well as far as the drugs go, she called me back today and No Thiola for Noid Canada hasn't approved it through our Food and Drug administration which peeves me to no end since in the States it has proven to be safe and effective for this specific disease!

The only other drug is D-Pennicillimine aka Cupriman (sp) which is not as effective and has many bad side effects that are more common than not and the Vet refuses to put him on it and from what I have read it scares me so I agree.

However....
since no drugs are available now the only thing left is when and if he blocks we go and get the catheter done to flush the stones which puts him at risk for infection and then he'll go on antibiotics which I am sure would only work for a while cause as we all know they do become immune eventually.

I'm still going to try to manage this with food and talked with the vet today about switching him from a ultra-low protien diet 3.8% that he is on right now to a Vegetarian diet.

It's the Methionine in animal protiens that is causing his issues which aggravates the cystine production and is found in Chicken, fish, eggs, milk ect and many other animal protiens.

So....
I have a couple of suggestions for a good vegetarian canned food one of which is Evangers and it's available here in a nearby town so easy to get!
Another which I am waiting for the vet to check is the Royal Canin canned veggie but I don't know the protien % and it's a prescription food that I would have to have ordered by them.

Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions that I can check out?

angeldogs
June 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I have no food advice for you.i do feel for Noid having to go through this.

Tommysmom
June 5th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Poor Noid:sad:.

I wouldn't bother with the Royal Canin one - we tried that when my pup was ill and he wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole - the only veggie one he'd show any interest in was Evangers, although that was tough for me to get... if it's easier for you, I'd definitely start with that one.

Good luck, I hope he feels better soon!

Crestedcrazy
June 5th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks I found a store that is fairly close that has the Evangers so I'll try a can of that and I found a site that have some reviews and lists the protien % and Evangers is lower than the Royal Canin as well so I think that's the route I need to go!

Thanks everyone :fingerscr and heres hoping it works better for him!

ancientgirl
June 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I'm sorry your little guy is having more problems. I hope the food helps. So many times changing food does the trick. I hope this is one of them. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
June 6th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Noid is still having problems. :grouphug: I hope the change in diet does the trick now! :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Give the handsome little dude a couple of extra smoochies from hazel!

growler~GateKeeper
June 6th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Oh no! poor little Noid :sad:

Is there a homeopath vet over there that your vet can contact with? There might be a holistic remedy that can help :fingerscr :goodvibes:

I'm glad your not going w/RC :yuck: Have you thought/tried a home cooked (or prepared might be a better term) diet?

Crestedcrazy
June 6th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I have been home cooking for Noid now for quite some time, he has to be on an ultra-low protien diet 4% or less

and the animal protiens are what aggravates his condition so that's why we are now looking into a vegetarian diet for him. I know that dogs are not vegetarians and generally need meat but due to the specifics of his condition we don't have much choice.

Problem is that his disease is very rare and not many studies on it for humans with this let alone canines.

I do belong to a yahoo group for dogs with this but they all still feed their dogs the BARF diet or whatever it was they were on and had the surgery and things were working for them that way.

Noid just seems to really produce alot of cystine in his kidneys and rather quickly which we just don't understand why.
This operation he had a few weeks ago was supposed to make a bigger and shorter passage for the stones to pass through.
Now what I really am hoping is that he is still just a bit swollen inside from the surgery, it was a very invasion procedure and that she also just maybe missed a few stones and then they worked there way down and blocked.

however just in case I want to explore other options which are very few since the surgery was kinda the last resort one but if diet can help I'll try a change and see.

It's important for him to drink lots of water as well so if anyone has suggestions on how to get him to do that I would appreciate it!
we have a fresh flow water system for him and it's changed and cleaned twice daily and I also keep a regular ceramic bowl with clean filter water in it and although he drinks water a couple times or so a day he still doesn't quite drink enough.
The vet put him on a 10 day supply of Lasix to get him to pee more to help flush his system.
Maybe there is a flavouring or something that could be added that would entice him to drink more???

I guess basically I'm just searching for anything I can research and try so any and all suggestions are most def welcomed!
He's only going to be 4 on the 13th so I just want to have him happy and around for a very long time yet!

And thanks so much for all the well wishes for my little man, good vibes are always helpful :thumbs up

Frenchy
June 6th, 2008, 04:18 PM
So sorry about Noid's issues again. Speedy recovery little guy , so that mom can dress you up and take more pictures :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
June 7th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Maybe there is a flavouring or something that could be added that would entice him to drink more???

The only thing I can think of right now is meat related but :shrug: don't know about the protein content. Chicken broth or Tuna juice added to the water helps get them to drink more water. The Chicken broth you can make yourself by boiling chicken in a pot on the stove, then remove the chicken pieces and save the leftover water let it cool & add to the water bowl. The Tuna juice is just the no salt added "juice" that the tuna comes packed in, in the cans.

What about Sub Q fluids? would that help flush this type of crystals?

:goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Crestedcrazy
June 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I had never heard of Sub Q fluids and so I ggogled that and found a video on youtube :eek: they were doing a cat and wow that would take some getting used to!

Noid freaks getting a shot or even nail clipping is a 2 person job, he may be small but he's strong and wirey I'm not sure how this would go over!

It is something that I'll mention to the vet and see what she says and if it would work for him or not :shrug: I don't know
if it was something and it came to this I suppose we would both get used to the routine but I sure hope this isn't something we would have to do!

Thanks for the tip though it is something to keep in mind as a possibilty

So Far So good though since the last flushing he has had a steady pee and seems to drink fine throughout the day so hopefully it was just a rouge stone left over that lodged so keep those paws and :fingerscr that he continues on this way now!

And thanks for all the help we appreiciate it very much!:dog:

chico2
June 8th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Oh no,poor little Noid,I know stones or crystals are painful in humans,how is Noid,is he in pain?
After the surgery he went through I was hoping he'd be fine,hopefully this is just something they missed:pray:
We want Noid to be back to the little clown he was,letting mom take fun pics:grouphug:to both of you.

rainbow
June 8th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Awww......so sorry to hear about our little Noid. :sad: I hope it was just a rogue stone as well. :fingerscr

I also think the Evangers is much better for him than Royal Canin. As far as getting him to drink more water since he can't have chicken or beef broth will he eat the Evangers if you add a little water to it? Or does he like watermelon for a treat? :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
June 8th, 2008, 11:34 PM
No more blockages, Noid! :fingerscr :goodvibes: