Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Calming a puppy

deb12
June 5th, 2008, 03:59 PM
How can you calm a puppy down and be able to focus more?

BusterBoo
June 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM
How old is the puppy? I know it took a lot of patience (and treats) to get Buster to focus on anything when he was younger. Puppy obedience classes helped a lot too!

kimnmark
June 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I find that if I tired them out a bit first (chasing balls or going on a walk) it helped them to focus for short training periods. And like Busterboo said...lots of patience & treats.

deb12
June 5th, 2008, 08:05 PM
She is 15 weeks and man she is all over the place and very aggressive when she plays and gets the zoomies, Tenderfoot said the calm the down in your arms and get them to trust you, but she calms down and you put her down, then she becomes nasty and all over the place and she will not allow you to pick her up again. Help

SnowDancer
June 5th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Well, my American Eskimo is now 4 years and 2 months and I am still waiting for him to grow up - isn't going to happen. His Assistant Groomer is about to adopt a Papillon puppy and she is already prepared that her new guy is going to be a twin, personality wise, of my Eskie.

deb12
June 6th, 2008, 09:21 AM
That is so funny SnowDancer, a papillon is such a small dog, but holy they have a huge about of energy and attitude. An eskie, your so lucky, we had a Westkamo when I was growing up (westie/eskimo) and the personality was so strong, yet very loving!

SnowDancer
June 6th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Well, my guy is 22 lb. but wants to be a big dog - Boxers are very popular where he spends every Thursday. After his Assistant Groomer gets her Papillon (the Groomer has the Boxers and everyone comes to work) I will let you know how she handles the Papillon puppy behaviours. I do know that a trait Eskies and Paps have in common is that THEY NEVER GROW UP! The soon to be mom will I think be wearing long pants a little more very shortly. She often has on a short skirt or capri length pants and when my jaws and claws guy arrives he HAS to jump up for a hug and usually she is at the sink bathing a dog (my Groomer offers daycare as well so Thurs. is the socialization day) - not good when you have bare legs. I am sure you will remember all about this. The Eskie is a funny little dog! I have seen some Paps at the vet and they are kind of similar. She is getting him around July 8 - 10 weeks.