Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Naturopathic Vet

deb12
June 5th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Okay was talking to my Dad last night at his house and he brought up about a Naturopathic Vet.

Now there dog is not vaccinated and does not have a dog tag, how is this possible?

What do any of the members think of this idea as I think I may actually make an appointment for Nova.

mastifflover
June 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I am actually considering going with a naturopathic vet. I only vaccinate Clark for the things he needs and not all the extras he will get rabies every other year. If I have to board him I do take him in for shots for the usual stuff he could get in a kennel. I try and avoid boarding if possible. But I think the less chemicals we put in our bodies or our dogs is better for us. The Chinese have been using herbs and other methods for thousands of years they must be doing something right. The only drawback is if you do not do rabies you cannot get a license, but if you microchip and have if lost tags that will probably help to get your dog back. Clark is also registered with animal control. One of our great mods here posted a link to it do a search for free tag it should find it for you. I really think it is a good idea to do rabies just in case the dog ever bit someone he would stand a chance of living without the shot he may not

satchelp
June 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Holistic vets generally still give vaccinations, but at what they think is a more appropriate time (waiting a bit longer than traditional vets to give the initial puppy vaccines, not doing the rabies vaccine till the dog is 6 months old, for example). They also use titers to establish the level of immunity for various diseases in lieu of repeated vaccines for things like parvo, distemper, etc. Also, they tend not to use combination vaccines. We go to a holistic vet and this is essentially what he does in terms of vaccines. Most of them use the same philosophy. Some believe in using homeopathic nosodes, but even amongst the holistic vet community, their use is controversial.

The problem really lies with the rabies vaccine. It is the one most often implicated as the trigger for a lot of different medical conditions in a dog. However, in most places it is the law that a dog has to be vaccinated for rabies, and if they aren't, if the dog ever bites someone, the dog will have to undergo mandatory quarantine, and the person that was bitten would have to undergo a series of rabies shots. There is a study underway now that is attempting to prove that rabies shots are good for at least 7 years. One can sometimes get around having to have the vaccine by getting an exemption letter from the vet if the condition of the dog is such that a rabies vaccine would pose a danger to the dog's health; however, the same situation would apply if the dog were to bite someone (i.e. quarantine, rabies shots for the human etc.).