Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Linin, a rescue mini horse

FancyAppy
June 5th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Linin is our newest family member. He was rescued from a terrible home and will now live furever with us.He has been with us since Tuesday.
Our vet said it will take about 6 months of careful feeding to restore his bloom. But that is ok cause I know he will once again be a healthy happy little horse.He looks like an old horse in these pics but he is only 4 years old. His chronic malnutrition has created his shrunken hunched look.He is in very poor condition but now he is on the road to recovery.{The blood on his legs is from a medical procedure which he came thru very well.}
He has joined 2 other adopted mini horses that arrived here last week. They are in fine condition and are settling in well.If you would like to meet them I will post their pics.
Linin brings our family to 23 and they are all beloved to us.You have already met many of our little creatures and I thank you for all your kind comments about our goats, donkeys and horses. So now we have these 3 little tiny mini horses that just warm your hearts....Please keep Linen in your thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. He is by far the sickest animal we have rescued but with good care and love he will blossom again.

Lukka'sma
June 5th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Bless his poor little horse heart
You have made such a difference for all these animals, how proud you must feel when you see a recovered animal in your field restored back to a healthy life.
And as for wanting to know if we want to see more pictures, oh hell yes
Blow the bandwidth to smithereens

aslan
June 5th, 2008, 12:14 PM
aaaw poor little man, ty once again for looking after all these neglected little ones.

Chris21711
June 5th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Bless him and bless you Fancyappy for taking him under your wing.
Like Lukka'sma said blow it to smithereens we never tire of seeing your wonderful pets. :cloud9:

happycats
June 5th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Awww your an :angel: for helping these poor creatures!
I'm sure with your love and care Linin will be a happy healthy mini in no time.

:pray::goodvibes::fingerscr for a speedy recovery.

And I agree..........And as for wanting to know if we want to see more pictures, oh hell yes
Blow the bandwidth to smithereens :)

Frenchy
June 5th, 2008, 12:42 PM
:thankyou: for rescuing him !! :2huggers:

Will all the love he's getting at your home , I'm sure he'll recover in no time ! :goodvibes:

He's too cute , and since he is recovering , we will need , at least , one picture a day :D

krdahmer
June 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
You can see the hope in his eyes! :goodvibes: for a speedy recovery!!!:grouphug:

want4rain
June 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
oh the poor baby. :( sending lots of love from the south!!

whats with his groin area?? not the blood part, the fleshy colored stuff (im saying this fully realizing it might be a weener!!)??

-ashley

Frenchy
June 5th, 2008, 01:00 PM
whats with his groin area?? not the blood part, the fleshy colored stuff (im saying this fully realizing it might be a weener!!)??

-ashley

I was wondering the same thing :o

Love4himies
June 5th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Thank you for rescuing this poor soul :angel:. I am sure you will have him fixed up and happy in no time. Animals know when their humans care for them;)

FancyAppy
June 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Thank you all so much for the kind words. We really love this guy and fuss over him like he is a baby. He loves it. What a sweetheart he is. The vet jokes that once he regains his strength he may be a bit more rowdy so enjoy him being so docile now.He was gelded{we neuter all rescues/adoptions} so his groin is swollen and sore but it will return to normal in a few days.He is recovering rapidly from the surgery and that is wonderful.
Here are some more pics of him and I will post pics of the other 2 on a separate entry.
He is very tiny .He stands about 29 inches at the shoulder.and is a fleabitten grey. I think he will be stunning when he fills back out and starts to prance again.
Thanks again for your well wishes. He is such a brave little soul.

FancyAppy
June 5th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Here are Boo and Nestle our adopted mini horses. They came from a loving home whose owner just could not afford to feed them any longer. She had stopped all medical care, worming and farrier work already because she did not have the money. She reluctantly gave them up..but she did it out of love.Her only condition was that they go together. I network with many farm animal rescue/adoption and was told about them and as soon as I saw their pics I was in love.I said yes without seeing them in person. They arrived here 2 weeks ago now , they have been vet checked, got thier shots,feet trimmed, wormed and are good to go....vet says she thinks Boo may be pregnant...that is unexpected but, you know, it would be our first farm baby and that is rather exciting.Anyway here they are. Boo is the tan horse, stands about 30 inches at the shoulder, Nestle is chocolate and stands about 25 inches. He is only a year old. He is not Boo's baby but she protects him like he is her own.

want4rain
June 5th, 2008, 02:21 PM
gelded! that makes sense!! i hope he is feeling spunky later!! they sure are beautiful! makes me jealous of all your land!! our 1.5 acres just wont cut it. :sad:

-ashley

Ford Girl
June 5th, 2008, 02:33 PM
You are an :angel:. Look at these guys!! :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

I can't imagine how anyone...I don't even need to finish the sentence. :sad: But at least they have a chance to be horseys now...thansk to you. :angel:

Yes please, more pics!! Everyday, as many as you can find time to post. :thumbs up :laughing:

ancientgirl
June 5th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Aww, I hope Linin recovers soon. What a little sweetheart. Boo and Nestle are adorable as well.

You're a wonderful person for helping them.

Please keep the pictures coming and keep us updated on Linin!

Stacer
June 5th, 2008, 09:08 PM
That's awesome, i'm glad you could help Linin.

It's funny, looking at the pictures, if you hadn't said they were mini horses I might not have realized it. There's not alot of things in the photos to compare their size to, so I will continue to believe that they are normal size horses until you provide way more photos to prove that they're teeny tiny :).

happycats
June 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Boo and Nestle are beautiful!! :cloud9:

Frenchy
June 5th, 2008, 10:06 PM
They're all adorable ! :lovestruck: thank you so much for rescuing them ! :angel: so you might get a baby mini horse ? :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

Chaser
June 5th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Ohhhh...such sweet little horsies! :cloud9: I'm so happy that they have all found you!

14+kitties
June 5th, 2008, 10:59 PM
:highfive: to another successful rescue!! Keep up the great work!! And thanks for being the angel these babies needed!

KimandAutumn
June 6th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Thank goodness he's in a better place now!! Speedy recovery Linin :goodvibes:

loopoo
June 6th, 2008, 01:04 PM
awww poor thing... all the horses are gorgeous.:cloud9:.. so amazing that you have taken him in.. he will be loved and taken care of and heal up in no time:)

FancyAppy
June 6th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Thank you all so much for visiting with our new babies.I am so happy they are with us. Esp. Linin who is a sick little boy. He had severe shaking last night and I stayed up with him most of the night. I covered him with blankets and sang to him trying to calm him.He just seems so afraid of everything..What has he been thru?...well all that is over now and he will never be beat, or hungry again.
There are at least 50 little razor type cuts all over his hind legs , belly and hips.I medicated them all but they are a mystery...where has this horse been?
He seems more perky this morning. But the vet is coming back out Tuesday to look at him again. I feel he is too sluggish for my liking.
Your continued prayers and positive thoughts for him are so appreciated. We have been entrusted with his care and we are grateful to take him into our lives and hearts.
Thank you all again for your very encouraging words about our rescue work.
I am proud of ALL of us, for every single one of us here at this site.'Cause every one of us has a big animal heart and always makes room for "just one more".

FancyAppy
June 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Stacer
I agree I will just have to keep posting pics of this little guy to prove he is a mini! LOL...How hard that will be for me..lol..You all know I love taking pics of my babies.
Here is one with the goats so you can see his size but when he is well enough to be with the big horses...well those pics will be really fun...the difference in size is amazing!

chico2
June 6th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Aww Fancyapp,you are just a wonderful human beeing,as well as your husband,Linin will florish for sure under your loving care,it certainly was his lucky day when he came to you.
Hopefully he has no lasting medical problems because of his former life:pray:
All the little guys are just beautiful and it's true,if I did not know they were small,I would think they are normal size horses,you or your husband will have to stand beside one,for us to see how small they are.
Thank Dog for people like you and hubby:grouphug:

FancyAppy
June 6th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Frenchy
We think our adopted mini mare may be pregnant. We will do a ultasound to find out. We were not told about this before she came here but we are excited. It will be the first baby born on our farm...so in a way I am hoping she is. I guess I am ready to be a Grandma.
Anyway she just looks unusually fat in her lower belly...it is not a health issue..vet gave her a good report..so either she is pregnant or just a pig.
Here are some pics of Miss Fattness looking, well, fat.

FancyAppy
June 6th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Frenchy, Chico2,loopoo,kim,14kitties, chris, aslan,Lukka'sma, krdahmer,chase,happycats,stacer,ancient, ford,want4rain,love4him,
Thank you all for your support and kind comments.Linin came to us in a very special way. I think he was meant to find us as silly as that may sound. Too many odd things came together to bring him to our attention...just like many of the creatures here, events were perfect for us to meet.
Here are some more pics of our darlin's.

Gail P
June 6th, 2008, 06:37 PM
You have some really nice looking minis there (and I should know! I have a quality herd of 20+ of them across the road from me!) My neighbour breeds reg. AMHA and AMHR minis, and hers usually bring some of the highest prices at the mini sales she goes to. Right now she's got 7 foals. Linin looks really leggy for being only 29"! It's nice to see them really looking like miniature horses, nice and trim and leggy with longer necks, not short-legged little ponies with huge bellies and short necks. And without the bulgy foreheads that you sometimes see with dwarfism, especially considering that these guys are all 30" and under. How old is Boo? If she's pregnant she's actually pretty trim, so maybe it's her first? You should see the bellies on some of the older broodmares across the road, they're huge! :laughing: Your vet has probably told you this, but may have to limit the amount of pasture these little guys have access to, they founder pretty easily. That shouldn't be a problem for Linen right now since needs to pack on some pounds though. Apparently some people seem to think they need to almost starve minis to keep them mini, so in essence they try to stunt them. From what I've seen, fed well they attain most of their growth (height) in their first year and then just fill out more. I know it seems like my neighbour is always doing paperwork, first putting the temporary papers on them, then the permanent papers when they stay under the max. allowable height.

Anyways, they're beautiful little horses, good for you taking them on and adding them to your crew. :thumbs up I'm sure you'll have Linen all better in no time.

Oh! Looking back at the pics something just jumped out at me! If the vet isn't sure that Boo is already pregnant, and you don't plan to breed I'd separate her and Linen, or at least talk to your vet about it. I know he's been gelded, but only just recently and there is still a period of time where apparently a stud can remain fertile. At least that's what our vet advised us when my boarders purchased a new horse that had just been gelded the week before he arrived here. We set up a temporarily electric fence paddock attached to a run-in shed to keep him away from my mares for a while, just in case.

Stacer
June 6th, 2008, 07:30 PM
those new pics are fantastic! I love love love horses and goats and donkeys, so sweet.

I hope Linin is feeling better.

kimnmark
June 6th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I love the all the new pics! Linen looks so sweet. How wonderful that you were able to save him.

FancyAppy
June 6th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Gail.Your neighboring mini- horses sound wonderful. I will have to check threads and see if you posted any pics of the mini's.I am glad you think ours look good.That means alot coming from another horse person. Thank you for the advice. Please, if you think of anything else to help us please share.We need all the help we can get!
Linin visits briefly with the other 2 mini's for socialization.He is only allowed 20 min of grass grazing a day till next week then he can have an hour. He is in great danger of foundering as he was living in a dry lot.
Boo is a alpha mare and I wanted to ease him into her company very gradually.I know it is rare but they still can breed after gelding for a short time. But really, Linin is so feeble I can't imagine him working up the gumption to do anything even if he felt like it.
The mini's are in with the goats and donkeys for now. Our regular horse fields are 15 acres each and way too lush for these little guys. Leave it to us to bring them home and worry about details later!
They are doing well with the goats in the goat pasture. It's about 2 acres and the grass is sparser, not rich like the horse fields so it is safe for them to eat.We are deciding weather to divide one of the horse fields or enlarge the goat field...it seems to work ok with the goats they all eat different things and they seem to enjoy each others company.The donkeys will always live with the goats because they can become obese very quicky on good pasture....my goodness I am writing a book about these guys...can you tell I really love them? lol!
Before I bore everyone to death let me share some more pics!!!!!!!!

ancientgirl
June 6th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Wow, they really are mini! I guess I'm used to seeing mini's that are a little more compact looking.

I don't even want to think about how Linin got those marks. How terrible. I hope he gets better soon. Poor little guy probably is so afraid. I know little by little he'll realize he is in a safe place.

FancyAppy
June 6th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Stacer, kimnmark
Thank you so much! In a month I will post before and after pics and hopefully we will see a big improvement in Linin.Eric says we should call him Lightning so he may get a new name to go along with his fresh start.Thanks for your encouragement....I am worried about him because he is so very thin...Every day I look at him to see if he has gained any weight. I know he hasn't yet but I look anyway...
The donkeys are so adorable...they roll around in their little dirt patches and sleep all stretched out in the mud...It is impossible to keep them clean.
More pics of our little family.

sophistikitten
June 6th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I wish Linin a speedy recovery! Thank goodness for people like you! :)

Winston
June 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
FancyAppy nice to see you again! What an :angel2: you are! Now matter what they have been through its nice to know they have found their FOREVER home! They are all so beautiful..even with their scratched and all...they must feel like their in heaven....If your one girl is pregnant will there be any risk to the baby considering she hasnt had it easy lately...mind you she looks rather good! I dont know much about horses at all !

How big is your farm? I think you mentioned it before...having a brain freeze at the moment...

I hope the resst of your crew are well....

Cindy

chico2
June 7th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Fancyapp,I think you are living everyones dream-life(at least on this Forum)and any animal that comes your way is lucky.
I too believe there is some sort of power,call it fate,that draws people who care towards animals in need.
In the one pic,you can really see how skinny"Lightning"is,but I have seen much worse on Animal Planet where the horses made a full recovery:fingerscr
Oh,and in one pic,I thought the black/white goat was a pig:sorry::laughing:

FancyAppy
June 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Chico2,
You gave me my first laugh this morning!The black/white goat is Bob and he is a pig!!!!!He is a pygmy goat that weighs about 95 pounds..he loves his snacks...I affectionately call him my little piggy goat.I so love that goat.....
I agree with you that sometimes we find our way to animals that become our family by God, fate,our dear departed furbabies,or a combination of positive forces.Sometimes the oddest event occur to put that animal in your path...to make you take notice so to speak.
Here are pics of 2 examples of this. Patches our shelter dog and Lightning {as my husband has now renamed Linin.}Patches came to us from a shelter shortly after Rusty our 20 year old dog passed last Nov, and Lightning who came to us on the 1 year marker of my beloved Chuckys passing...the stories of how all these animals are connected is amazing . Simply put.."it was meant to be"
Here is Patches saying good morning to Lightning.

FancyAppy
June 7th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Winston, ty for the warm welcome back and for the words of encouragement.Our little farm is aprox 45 acres. We have aprox 33 acres devoted to pasture at the moment.two 15 acre horse pastures, one 1 acre training pasture and a 2 acre goat pasture with woods. The rest is woods, a bit of yard, a creek, and lots of rocks.It is pretty rough still but we are always working on it.The best part is that it is very secluded .
Boo the mare is getting ultrasound on Tuesday to determin if she is pregnant or just fat.She and Nestle are in very good condition. They were owner surrender due to the owners financial situation. But they were well treated and cared for....Boo has a bit of 'tude but she's so pretty she can get away with it. She thinks she is Paris Hilton.lol
Here are some cute shots of Lightning/Linin little horse face. He is quite a charmer.

Lukka'sma
June 7th, 2008, 10:14 AM
My heart breaks for what little Linin must have been through in his life. Looking in his eyes I see only sadness and a look that says he gives up. How I hope that isn't the case and if anyone can change his life I know you can. How wonderful that you stayed with him and covered his poor shaking body with a blanket and sang him songs to sooth him. He most likely has never known kindness in his life prior to coming to live with you.
Who ever is responsible for the condition of this animal should be severely dealt with, our animal cruelty laws are a joke here in Canada, but perhaps you have tougher laws there.

FancyAppy
June 7th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Ancient, sophisikitten,
TY for your comments on our newest addition.
I have seen alot of pony type minis out there so I know what you mean. But these little guys really look like horses not ponies. my "big" horse really look huge!!!! beside these guys.
I was told that they do not see themselves as smaller so they can become lead horses in a fields of big and small horses. I can't wait to take pics of them together.
Lightning is eating breakfast in these photos.
My husband was thinking about his name and thinks his name always was lightning...he responds to that.We think the people who had him were calling him that and we misunderstood. They were saying Ly-nin which I thought was Linin but really it was Litnin' they were saying....or Lightning.lol..we can't even get his name right..no wonder he was confused.

badger
June 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Hmmph, where are the cat pictures. Much as I love your donkeys, goats and dog (and what a beautiful place you have, a real haven), I need to see the moggies. At your pleasure!

Lukka'sma
June 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Hmmph, where are the cat pictures. Much as I love your donkeys, goats and dog (and what a beautiful place you have, a real haven), I need to see the moggies. At your pleasure!

And lets not forget some updated pictures of Sylvia:lovestruck:

Gail P
June 7th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Ancient, sophisikitten,
I was told that they do not see themselves as smaller so they can become lead horses in a fields of big and small horses. I can't wait to take pics of them together.

That is 100% true, they really are big horses in tiny bodies. Once, several years ago a gate got left open at my neighbours and 3 of hers found their way across the road and into my field (there's a mini-sized gap between one of my gates and the fencepost). I wasn't home at the time but she said there they were, in my field and the one little guy was standing up to my gelding who's the boss over here. They were nose to nose and the little guy squealing and all, ready to take on the big boss man. Nothing happened, nobody got hurt so it was a bit of a joke and she said to check my horses shins for scrapes :laughing:

Boo is really gorgeous. I bet if she was located around us and is papered my neighbour would have loved to get hold of her. Buckskin is one colour she doesn't have. In the one recent photo with her lifting her hind leg to scratch she does look more pregnant, but the other views she's not all that wide looking. One of my neighbour's first-time moms this year was like that though.

Looking at the close-up head shots of Lightning, I think you've got yourself another appy! He's got all the appy characteristics: pink sclera, mottling all over his muzzle and around his eyes, and striped hooves. I don't know a lot about appy's, but isn't there a colour called a varnish or varnish something-or-other that is mostly a solid lighter colour but has the dark varnish marks on the hocks, knees etc, and a bit on the face, like Lightning has?

I don't think I've posted any pics anywhere of minis yet, I should see if I can get some shots of the mares and foals. They are up in the barnyard and easily seen/photographed from the road. Not that I couldn't go over and right in with all the horses, but I tend to get caught up there and spend hours. Geez, maybe I can even get a shot with Gabby in it. If you remember he's her pygmy goat that I said looks like Bob. He lives out with the minis. Let's see, there are a bunch of mares with foals all together. Other mares without foals and a few geldings in a different field with her 2 big horses, and then there are her 4 studs. They each have their own small field with run in sheds. Actually at one time she used to be very in to collies and had several large yards set up for the dogs and now that she's more into the minis and less into the dogs she's converted some of the dog yards into mini stallion fields. Also ran some new fencing in one big field to divide off a couple of small fields for the studs at the front of the big field.

Whenever the neighbours are away overnight or for a weekend I do chores for them, but if the herd grows much more I might start loosing track of names. Let's see, the studs are: Awesome, Little Dude, Prince and Charger. The geldings are Joker, Classy Man, Scamper and Di-el (D.L.? - not really sure how it's spelled, but that's how it sounds). The mares, if I'm not forgetting anyone are: Strawberry, Magic, Echo, Belle, Star, Princess, Beauty, Sparkles, Caramia, ...uh oh. I think I am forgetting somebody. That just doesn't seem right. Unless it's because Windance and Pride just recently were sold. Hmmmm....maybe I should go take another look and take some pics while I'm at it :D I have no idea even of what the foals are called, except the first one born this year is Duster, and one of the others is Sapphire. Beyond that I haven't heard.

want4rain
June 7th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Beyond that I haven't heard.

no pun intended??? :laughing: :laughing:

im such a dork. :cool:

-ash

ancientgirl
June 7th, 2008, 12:18 PM
How's Lightning this morning? does he seem to be doing better? :fingerscr:fingerscr

chico2
June 7th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Gail.you too must have a wonderful life,wish I had neighbors like yours,guess where I would be:laughing:
Fancyapp,I just want to give Lightning a big hug,he has a wonderful face,love your rescue-doggie Patches:lovestruck:
I kind of agree,we do need to see some kitty-pics too..

FancyAppy
June 8th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Lukka'sma
Thanks for asking about Sylvia.
Here she is knocking over her bench and looking innocent, plus a couple from our last goat walk. She is pretty independant and will go off on her own so I have to keep an eye on her when we walk cause she will meander far behind. Then she looks up and starts yelling..."where's everybody at?!" She will get those fat little legs motoring and catch up in no time...She should be a little racing goat! haha
Thank you for your concern over Lightning/Linin...He seems happier , perky this morning . As abuse far as laws goes here, they are riddled with red tape and proceedure and not enough organizations and people to carry out the existing laws ...but I would say it is better than even 5 years ago...Still the penalties are not nearly serious enough for animal abuse crimes because animals are legally considered" property" here. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh

FancyAppy
June 8th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Badger, Chico2,
Ty so much for your well wishes and kind comments regarding our babies...Cat pictures????HAHA boy do I have cat pics...I would need a couple years to tell you about our cats.
I have always loved cats. All my life I have always had at least one kitty to love. I have lost many over the years but they are all forever in my heart.
Our current kitties are Fat Albert who lives up to his name, Sylvester, Little Kitty[tabby[ and Cisco...[black].I will post pics on 2 diff entries...thanks for asking about our kitties...
There are so many beautiful cats and dogs on this site...we all have so great furkids!

ancientgirl
June 8th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Your kitties are just as adorable as the rest of your gang! I love the picture of Fat Albert:laughing:

FancyAppy
June 8th, 2008, 10:32 AM
more kitty pics...Albert is about 23 lbs..he is really tall and long, not just fat..he is "big-boned"..haha, Little Kitty is about 8 lbs so it is very cute to see them sit side by side, sorta like the big horses and mini horses.Sylvester is avg size with a traditional lazy kitty attitude and Cisco is our youngest, 1 year old and still finds everything around him a complete delight...oh the lessons I could learn from him...

Lukka'sma
June 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Love the cat pics, all your animals are special individuals and I wish I could look out my window and see you hobby farm right next door:)
Oh and little Sylvia, is she just not the limit?
Glad to hear L/L is feeling a bit perkier this morning.:thumbs up

ancientgirl
June 8th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Does Cisco have a little white patch down there? It looks like he has some little white hairs.:D

FancyAppy
June 8th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Gail..I think you are right he does has Appy markings...a mini appy? now that would be pretty exciting as Appys are my favorite horses. I know there are all white appys called a "few-spot"...I will look into the varnish coloration...
thanks for the info and insight...more please! I love "horse talk"!
What great names your neighbor's horses have. She must have some beauties. Boo is papered as a class B mini..She is a beautiful color..the pics really don't capture her grace well at all...but she is very marish...a bit cranky with other animals..she kicked the donkey this morning quite hard and wolloped Rose the goat yesterday...She may be moved in with the bigger horses or the other horse pasture sooner than later. She is very affectionate with people.Her registerd name is High Steppin' Boo. She is harness trained and can pull a cart.Eric is already telling me he is not buying a cart..haha.. Here is more Boo .

FancyAppy
June 8th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Ancient..no he is all black . He was rolling around on the hay trailer and has hay all over him. He is such joy. Black cats are such great looking cats. I know you like the panther-black cats too.

FancyAppy
June 8th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Ancient, lukka....Linin is so much perkier this morning. He seems very alert and even did a little prance.!

Everyone....Thank you all for your well wishes, prayers and positive thoughts. Everyone here has been so supportive and I really appreciate that so much. What a great group of folks you all are!
Here is our little guy this morning.

ancientgirl
June 8th, 2008, 01:23 PM
That first picture of Lightning is wonderful! You can really see he's much happier and his legs even look a lot better too. I'm so relieved he's doing better. I think he'll get better faster if he's happier and realizes he's got a wonderful home now.

And yes, I love my two mini-panthers too:D

Gail P
June 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Gail..I think you are right he does has Appy markings...a mini appy? now that would be pretty exciting as Appys are my favorite horses. I know there are all white appys called a "few-spot"...I will look into the varnish coloration...
thanks for the info and insight...more please! I love "horse talk"!
What great names your neighbor's horses have. She must have some beauties. Boo is papered as a class B mini..She is a beautiful color..the pics really don't capture her grace well at all...but she is very marish...a bit cranky with other animals..she kicked the donkey this morning quite hard and wolloped Rose the goat yesterday...She may be moved in with the bigger horses or the other horse pasture sooner than later. She is very affectionate with people.Her registerd name is High Steppin' Boo. She is harness trained and can pull a cart.Eric is already telling me he is not buying a cart..haha.. Here is more Boo .

Yes, minis do come in appy colouring, and here's a bit of trivia for you. Not as common, but they also come in a colour called pintaloosa (pinto/appy). You might see a pintaloosa that looks mostly pinto but has a blanket and spots, or maybe no blanket but spotted over the rump and up into the rest of the body. I don't see them across the road, they're not really into appy's, but I have seen pics and somebody else I know has had appy's.

When you say Boo has her B papers, do you mean she's reg.'d with the AMHR? I don't quite keep track of the whole business of all the paperwork for minis, but I know AMHA is for 34" and under and I believe AMHR is for up to 38". But, to begin with they get temporary papers and then have to be remeasured etc. to get their permanent papers at a certain age. If Boo is as small as you said before, I wonder why she's not AMHA, unless the permanent papers were never sent in. If you really wanted to look into it or find out more about the minis you can look up the website for the AMHA and go from there. Lucky you though, she's gorgeous, papered and broke to drive. I know she's got a permanent home with you but I'd guess you've got yourself a valuable little mare there. Almost surprising that her previous owners didn't sell her if money was an issue, but I guess there are many of us for whom that isn't the primary concern and would just want our animals to go to the best home possible. Get to work on Eric about that cart :D That's what my neighbour's geldings are used for. She's got 4 geldings broke to drive single and the two of them that are pretty well colour matched are also broke double. There's a whole little collection of carts and buggies in her barn. Some are the easy-entry style carts, others are 4-wheeled buggies, plus she's got some skis she can exchange the wheels for on one cart for the winter.

chico2
June 8th, 2008, 02:41 PM
OMG Fancyapp,you are killing me,look at all those beautiful kitties and Sylvia,the other goats,Patches and all the horses,what an absolutely perfectly wonderful life you have..
Hubby who is the economist in the family,keep asking how on earth you can afford all these animals,we know what only our 3 cats cost us.
Maybe you are a secret daughter of Donald Trump,or your hubby the Donalds son:laughing:

FancyAppy
June 8th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Chico..LOL...We love our life here..it is alot of hard work, the farm always needs something and the house is a wreck..but we love it.
We had it all.the huge house full of antiques,new furniture, two new cars, all the luxuries.etc.We were living very well. I had a great job and so did my husband..but as the years passed we felt empty. we felt we had all this stuff but no life...It took many years but we seemed to reach the same conclusion at about the same time.We wanted our own little farm with animals. Hubby and I decided we need to stop and smell the roses or in our case goat and horse poop.
We auctioned our house and possesions,bought the farm .That was 4 years ago this June. It was the best decision of our lives.
How do we afford it?..well we have no children or dependents, live very simply and no longer have new cars.lol!
We have learned to do alot of vet work, shots, basic things etc ourselves. Whatever extra a vet must do we have the money for it.I don't make alot of money at the job I have now but my husband has a good job so we are blessed that way.
We have set a limit for ourselves on how many animals we can keep and still be able to care for them 100%.I sold a nice trail horse last week to a very sweet girl. That gave me room for Linin .So that is alittle of our story..see what happens when two animal lovers get married? hahaha

chico2
June 8th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I'd say,a match made in heaven or wherever these things are decided,you and hubby are very,very fortunate to realize your dream:thumbs upfortunate to for all those wonderful animals:grouphug:

FancyAppy
June 8th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Gail thanks for all the info. I am learning so much from you. Thanks!
I love the buggy and cart idea but hubby says no way...I think he is afraid he will look like a sissy riding around in a little cart pulled by a tiny horse. LOL.
It is nice to know Boo is a nice horse but we would never part with her.Even if she is cranky.haha. Boo and Nestle join so many others here, goats, donkeys, horses, cats and dog that we promised to provide a forever home.But they give us so much back in return for that forever home...peace, contentment and joy. I know you understand, as a horse owner you know the feeling that comes from bonding with them...It is wonderful isn't it?
He is a pic of our appy Auggie, my riding horse,for you to see. I think you really like the Appys too. Thanks so much for all the great info you are sharing with me.

rainbow
June 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
What wonderful stories in your thread :cloud9: .....you and your hubby are such angels for everything you do. :angel:

Lightning will no doubt flourish with your care :thumbs up and you can see the improvement already in the last pics you posted of him. :lovestruck:

Gail P
June 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I know you understand, as a horse owner you know the feeling that comes from bonding with them...It is wonderful isn't it?
He is a pic of our appy Auggie, my riding horse,for you to see. I think you really like the Appys too. Thanks so much for all the great info you are sharing with me.

I do know what you mean. As for me really liking the Appy's, well actually I'm much more of an Arab person :laughing: The closest thing I have to an Ap is my little pony mare Skittles, she's Arab/POA and has exactly one white spot about the size of a nickle on her otherwise bay body :D She does also have a faint bit of roaning on her, but it's not very noticeable except over her withers and at the base of her tail, and her tail has a little bit of white mixed in the top. I can however appreciate that everybody has their own breed preferences and when I was a kid (before I had my own horse) I used to try to learn as much as possible about them all.

Auggie's a very nice horse, nice and solid looking. I bet he's a good, dependable ride. He reminds me a lot of a friend's horse. She's into the Appy's and does some breeding. She's got a couple of geldings (one is getting quite old now), a stallion, a couple of appy mares and she had a QH mare too I think but I'm not sure if she sold that one or still has her. You would probably enjoy taking a look at her website and reading about her horses. Here's the link http://giltvalleyfarm.homestead.com/

I meant to also add that I agree with everyone who's said they can already see a difference in Lightning. In those first few pics you posted he looked very sorry for himself and now he's looky perky and happier. Also, very cute the one with Nestle making baby faces at him. Nestle's face was partly hidden but I could see his little teeth champing :lovestruck:

minimomma
July 5th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I am new hear and I was wondering how your rescue mini is doing?

Has he put on enough weight? I have a rescue minature horse and I might be able to help you out a bit.

THanks

Lise
July 6th, 2008, 07:55 AM
You have absolutely beautiful horses,it's so great that you are involved in rescue.There's nothing as nice as watching a scared skinny horse fill out and change into a happy fat one!!My daughter has an appy too so she loves your guys,hers is an appy/westphalian cross.I'm an arab person but one of them is ticked so sort of appy.Your little guys really are adorable.You show what happens when two animal people hook up!!amazing.

14+kitties
July 6th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Auggie is beautiful! He looks for all the world like he got splattered by a mud covered paint brush. :cloud9: Too cute!!

FancyAppy
July 6th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Rainbow..you are kind to compliment us . I know in my heart that we would all-everyone at this site- do and have done the same for animals in need..You and so many others here have opened your heart and homes to many animals who all have great lives and know love . That is one of the best things about this site...it is evident everyone here loves animals and are passionate about their welfare.
I really enjoy the stories posted her and the wonderful photos from all the members. what a great bunch of big hearted caring people.
Thank you for your words of encouragement about Lightning. It means so much.
Here is the little guy last week meeting Rockystar,Milan and Espree for the first time.

FancyAppy
July 6th, 2008, 09:15 AM
minimomma..love your name!
Thank you for asking about our boy. here are some pics from last week. He is filling out VERY slowly but the vet says that is good but I wanted him fat and round yesterday...patience is not one of my virtues.lol
He is like a new horse. He runs, plays loves his food and us...he knows how to butter us up ..he nickers when he sees us..it so swells my heart with joy to hear that nicker.
Tell me about your rescue. What are you doing to get your mini back on his feet and how did you come about having him?Would love to here about him when you get a chance.
Thanks again about asking about Lightning. Here he is playing with the goats.

FancyAppy
July 6th, 2008, 09:29 AM
14kitties, lise,Gail

14 kitties..........
Thank you for your compliments on Auggie and our appys. We have always loved horses in every form. Appys stole my heart cause of thier personalities..sweet loyal, thoughtful,affectionate. They are not aloof. I love all types of horses but must admit Appys are my favorite.
Lise .............
you are so right about watching a skinny horse fill out . it just warms your heart to see them bloom again.
Gail, lise...............
My first horses were Arabs. Magnificent, intelligent horses. Wonderful companions and great to ride. My Appys tend to be a bit bouncy..those short legs? or my bad riding skills? lol
I purchased Auggie, my Appy after my Arab mare got sick...been about 8 years now, I guess, but I think of that Arab mare everyday. I loved her so much.

Here is more Auggie "spots"

FancyAppy
July 6th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Here is Lightning today. I think he looks so much better. He is now on pasture with a cup of grain a day, plus vit/min supplement. He is acting pretty normal and seems happy, not depressed anymore. His belly is rounding out.his hips, chest, neck are still pretty thin but are coming along.
Thank you for all your prayers, well wishes and positive thoughts you directed to Lightning. I know it aided in his recovery greatly.
He is a real delight. I am glad he is here.

Lukka'sma
July 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM
WOW Lightning is looking spectacular. You're doing a great job with him FancyAppy.:thumbs up
I just love all the pics you post.

minimomma
July 6th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I have alot of rescues. It is kind of funny, hubby says no more critters.. but when the call comes for a critter in need... He doesn't say anything goes outside and hooks up the trailor and we go get them. Then he spends the next 24 hours building another pen or shelter.. 90 percent of my critters come from horrid pasts. BUt with a little love and some medical intervention they turn around. I am always amazed at how animals always forgive and have room for love.

I should start a different thread with their stories and pictures.

Putting on weight takes time. We had a standard bred mare that we had to put on 300 lbs. We adopted her out, and she is doing great......

Lukka'sma
July 6th, 2008, 01:08 PM
minimomma, just go here
http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15
scroll down about a quarter page and click on new thread.:)

minimomma
July 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks- I started a new thread......

FancyAppy
July 7th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Lukka'sma
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement
...Lightning has enriched our lives so much. He has given back to us so much more than we gave to him. He is one of the happiest creatures I have known.
I don't think it is an accident that he was put in our path. He reminds me of my beloved Chucky, gone a year, who also beamed with joy all the time.
It just made me happy being in Chuckys company and Lightning is the same way.He is just happy to be here. I could learn alot from him.
Thank you for watching his progress and for your kind words.
Here is Lightning with our kitty Little Kitty, and Boo our adopted mini mare.

clm
July 7th, 2008, 08:07 AM
The difference in that sweet little horse is just amazing. Now he looks like a happy healthy 4 year old instead of the skeletal old look he had when you first rescued him. It's good to know he's got such a wonderful life now along with all his other furry friends. You've done a wonderful job with him.

Cindy

FancyAppy
July 11th, 2008, 09:45 AM
clm..thank you so much..I can really see a difference as well. Also in his attitude. He is frisky and a bit pushy. lol..he just is so happy to see us, it just warms my heart to see him everyday. He is doing my heart a world of good. . He he is last night with Boo.relaxing and scratching.just enjoying being a horse..isn't is wonderful?

ancientgirl
July 11th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I love these pictures. It shows how much they love each other.

chico2
July 11th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Oh Fancy,those are just beautiful pics,looks like love:lovestruck:
Are they both males??

FancyAppy
July 11th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Ancient..it was hate at first sight when they first meet but now she really seems to enjoy Lightning . What is really beautiful is seeing them play tag at nite. Around 7 every nite the 3 mini horses and 2 mini donkeys chase each other around the field for an hour. In and out of the woods, squealing , rearing and bucking. It is our nightly entertainment. I think you are right they really do care about each other and enjoy each others company very much.Thank you for viewing my darlings.

FancyAppy
July 11th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Chico. ty for your comments. The buckskin is a mare[girl]. She has a real attitude most of the time..very Queenly.. She thinks she runs the show around here.hahaha. She has a strong personality, some would say bullheaded but I think she is just putting things in order and helping us out .lol here she is having a "moment" with Lily goat who is just as bullheaded. Lily has claimed the picnic table and Boo wants it too. Why ? just because Lily has it. lol!

ancientgirl
July 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I think it's incredibly beautiful that they play tag with each other. :lovestruck:

chico2
July 12th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Fancy,I soooo love your pics,you are living in paradise on earth..what better way to spend an evening,than watching your beautiful animals have fun,you are very,very fortunate and an :angel2:for rescuing,I think I said that before:laughing:but I am just so impressed:thumbs up

rainbow
July 12th, 2008, 02:11 PM
FancyAppy, I didn't realize that you had posted so many more pics in this thread and they are all so heartwarming. :cloud9:

You have done an amazing job with Lightening :thumbs up :angel: and I especially love the pics (post 77) of him with Boo. :lovestruck:

What is really beautiful is seeing them play tag at nite. Around 7 every nite the 3 mini horses and 2 mini donkeys chase each other around the field for an hour. In and out of the woods, squealing , rearing and bucking. It is our nightly entertainment.

Any chance that you have a videocam so we can enjoy too? :D :fingerscr :goodvibes: That would be awesome to see. :goodvibes: