Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat weaning "sock"

14+kitties
June 5th, 2008, 10:24 AM
So guys - you know I have a couple of mammas going in for fixing next Sunday. I was having some problems with momma in the house because no matter how closely I watched the kittens still managed to suckle her. She needs 2 weeks to dry up before she gets fixed. So...... I came up with an idea. :o It's a little goofy but so far :fingerscr it's working!
I cut the foot out of a knee high, cut holes for her legs, and waa laa, a weaning sock! No more suckling!
Let me know what you think.

cpietra16
June 5th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I would have chosen black...:laughing::D
It's a great idea. How does mommy like it?

ancientgirl
June 5th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Boy, are you ever inventive! I'd never have even remotely thought of that! Did she fuss about it being on at all?

Love4himies
June 5th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Have you checked her for milk? How is she liking that ingenious invention?

A couple of Sweet Pea's kittens suckled until they left home :cry:, just when she allowed them to and that was usually at bed time, but she wasn't producing any milk. The last little girl was 5 months old and spayed and still trying to suckle from Sweet Pea. The boy was 4 months when he was sent off for adoption. They just loved their momma :lovestruck:

jiorji
June 5th, 2008, 11:18 AM
ohmy! very stylish!;)

14+kitties
June 5th, 2008, 11:25 AM
She actually has been great with it. For the first while after I put it on she did the whole - Oh no! You put something on me, I can't walk, flop! thing. But it wasn't long before she was walking around, acting as normal. She is also in heat again. I am wondering if there is a sock we can make to fix that!!

cpietra16 - I took the first one I grabbed out of my drawer. Maybe next time it will be black. I quit wearing those things years ago. I don't even know why I still have some. :shrug:

L4H - her belly feels nice and normal. No lumps, bumps, no milk at all that I can see/feel. But I can't take the chance. Their rules for getting them spayed is no milk, period. The momma in the porch still has lots! I am keeping an eye on her that it doesn't result in mastisis.

Chris21711
June 5th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Let me know what you think.

I think you should patent it :laughing:

krdahmer
June 5th, 2008, 12:40 PM
:laughing: Genius! And I love the 'flop' they do! Almost like a protest! (mine do it in their harnesses :rolleyes:)

That would have been a good way to recycle legwarmers too!

:thumbs up

Love4himies
June 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM
L4H - her belly feels nice and normal. No lumps, bumps, no milk at all that I can see/feel. But I can't take the chance. Their rules for getting them spayed is no milk, period. The momma in the porch still has lots! I am keeping an eye on her that it doesn't result in mastisis.

I had to squeeze her nipples to make sure there was NO milk at all before the Humane Society would even book an appt for spaying her. Any idea why they can't be spayed if they have milk?

Frenchy
June 5th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I would have chosen black...:

The net ones ? :laughing:

genious idea !

phoozles
June 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Great idea :thumbs up
plus it looks hilarious! :laughing:
Soon they'll have spanx especially for cats - for that lean look ;)

sugarcatmom
June 5th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Kitty-sausage!!!!! I love it.

14+kitties
June 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys!! :D
L4H - supposedly there can be complications and infections from the milk. And from what the vet techs told me in TO - the vet doesn't like being sprayed with milk. :shrug:

onster
June 5th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Great idea!!!! :thumbs up

Magicwildwolf69
June 5th, 2008, 10:46 PM
What a great way to recycle :lightbulb:

lol thats a great picture i love the way they flop when you put something on them they don't want on

14+kitties
June 5th, 2008, 11:25 PM
:laughing: Genius! And I love the 'flop' they do! Almost like a protest! (mine do it in their harnesses :rolleyes:)

:thumbs up

kr - legwarmers would be too easy for the kittens to push up. They have been trying hard with the knee hi but haven't been successful yet. I have an idea for a better one too but will have to take time to actually make it! Maybe when Canadian Idol is on next week. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. It's been fun hearing comments. Hubby thinks I am completely whacko now!!

growler~GateKeeper
June 5th, 2008, 11:36 PM

I've used them as a sweater to prevent further damage on a cat that was obsessively scratching her shoulder blades - just cut holes for the front legs worked great :thumbs up

kimnmark
June 6th, 2008, 07:16 AM
What a clever idea! And it works too: fabulous.

14+kitties
June 6th, 2008, 07:36 AM
The legwarmers would work great for that growler! It's amazing, we spend millions every year for a wardrobe for our furbabies and it's not necessary. With a little ingenuity we could just recycle our sock drawer. :D

loopoo
June 6th, 2008, 01:01 PM
what a great idea and so good that it will help her to heal up faster so that she can be spayed:)

kathryn
June 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
haha, well good luck with that. I tried similar things to make my kittens wean, but nothing worked. I ended up having to ship my cat off to my grandmoms for a while so that Missy & Kasey would stop trying to nurse (Holly was already weaned by then).

It's strange, as too this day I still find Missy trying to nurse from Socks o-O and shes over a year old. :shrug:

14+kitties
June 6th, 2008, 03:21 PM
haha, well good luck with that. I tried similar things to make my kittens wean, but nothing worked. I ended up having to ship my cat off to my grandmoms for a while so that Missy & Kasey would stop trying to nurse (Holly was already weaned by then).

It's strange, as too this day I still find Missy trying to nurse from Socks o-O and shes over a year old. :shrug:

Actually kathryn - she has been wearing it whenever she is around her kittens (usually 3 to 4 hours throughout the day) and it has been working fabulously. They are separated at night which is the time I would really worry about it. Her milk is dried up but if the kittens keep trying to suckle her could start again. She is being fixed next Sunday and she needs to be dry. After that I don't care how often they try to suckle. But thanks for the comments.

hazelrunpack
June 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Why is it that if you actually wear those things, they run. But cut a few holes in one and insert cat and it doesn't even ravel! :laughing:

What a great idea, Geri! :thumbs up

14+kitties
June 6th, 2008, 04:46 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Hazel!!! So true! Actually, I have had a few runs in one. I had to make a new one. But it's still working fantastic!!
Thanks !

chico2
June 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM
OMG,you are a genius,a bit whacky,like your husband says,but still a genius:laughing:
I understand the kittens are eating by themselves now,right?Or you would not do this.
I bet you moma now feels stylish and relieved,she will be even more so when she won't have to be preggers again,thank's to you:angel2:

14+kitties
June 6th, 2008, 04:54 PM
:D Thanks Chico!!
Kitties are 9 weeks old today. They are doing great! My other babies are 9 weeks on Sunday. They are doing really well too!
Sometimes whacky isn't ALL bad. ;)

dmc123
June 6th, 2008, 06:29 PM
That really is a great idea! When Tilly had the quads, that would have been nice to have. I think she would have fed them til they were grown. We had to bring them inside the house to stop them from nursing on her.

Again, great idea!

Diane

14+kitties
June 6th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks dmc!!!! :D

rainbow
June 9th, 2008, 02:11 AM
LOL......too funny :laughing: but what an awesome idea. :thumbs up