Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Apprehensive and not sure what to do, please help!:(

Gerri05
June 5th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Hi, my name is Gerri, I hope this site works :s I've been ringing round trying to get some advice all day! Basically I am wanting to get two different kittens at the weekend from different litters. Fitstly is it ok to introduce two different kittens? are they likely to get on? and secondly one of them i have been told by the owners that a friend of theirs who is a vet had given them their first vaccine apparently called f.v.r.c.p. But there is no paper work to support this and i am not sure whether they have had the full course or not and it is very confusing! basically i would like to know that if i started from scratch and acted like the kitten hadnt had any vaccination would it be harmful for him to have the lot done if he has already had one or maybe more already done? i was told it wont harm him but i just want to be sure! thanks ever so much.. just hope it is ok as really want him but dont want to over-vaccinate him! hope to hear back soon...

Love4himies
June 5th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I would insist upon the paperwork, no you certainly do not want to overvaccinate you kitty, it is very hard on their immune systems. If the person who is giving you the cat won't, then contact the vet who gave the shot.

How about adopting from your local shelter? That way you will have all medical paperwork applicable to that cat.

There are NO guarantees that two cats will get along. Best bet is to visit your local shelter and adopt two cats that have lived together, that way you will be sure. ;)

katherine93
June 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Hi there Gerri! first off, kittens are more than likely to get along as soon as they meet. If it were full gorwn cats, you might have a problem, but kittens, nahhh, the'll be fine.. Not sure what to do about the vaccine thing. When an animal gets any sort of vet care there is always paper work done up i thought. Im sure somebody else can help you alot more than i have.. Goood Luck!:thumbs up

BTW- WElcome to pets.ca!! You will meet alot of great and caring people around here! :D:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
June 5th, 2008, 08:59 AM
If you are unable to get the paperwork on the vaccination, you might want to ask your vet if a titer would be useful. A titer can determine how much, if any, immunity an animal might have--it will be elevated after vaccination. Costs a little bit (around here they run about $60) but if you can avoid overvaccinating your new kitten, it's well-worth the money, imo!

Good luck with your new additions, and welcome to the board! :D Oh, and once you are able, we'll be demanding lots of pics of your little newbies :thumbs up