Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Try finding some skin on the necks of these guys.

clm
June 4th, 2008, 09:46 PM
It was a hot day and they hate car rides anyway. Thank goodness the vet is close. The last few times hubby took Bentley to the vet, he sat in the front seat, so he jumped in my lap after we had started off and I had a face full of dog fur all the way there. :laughing:
Baxter weighed in at 53lbs, Bentley at 32. Amazing what a difference there can be in the same breed, same breeder, even with the same father. :laughing:
They got the blood taken for their heartworm tests and I got their meds. They didn't send the blood out for the tests until yesterday but I got the all clear today to start the heartworm meds. Got the stuff that goes on the skin on the back of the neck. :laughing::laughing: It was mighty hard to get down to the skin on Baxter's neck. Finally dug our way down to find a tiny patch. :laughing: Bentley was a little easier to find the skin, just a whole lot squirmier, so he was every bit as big a challenge. :laughing: Thank goodness it's just applied once a month.

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
June 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
:laughing: I'll bet that's a challenge :laughing:

Chaser
June 5th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Ugh - Chase is always squirmy for his Revolution! I actually wish they would make it in a pill too....they're easier to give him. I can't even imagine having to apply it to your fluffy little guys! :D

SnowDancer
June 5th, 2008, 10:13 PM
This is the reason my Eskimo gets Sentinel rather than the topical Revolution he had his first year. The manufacturers recommended to vets that double coated breeds be givin heartworm protection in pill form because of the risk of the topical not being absorbed due to said double coat - no kidding. What an event - and the Eskie fur, actually being more like Persian cat hair - isn't nearly as dense as the Keeshond's so I can just imagine what you are going through. We had to apply the Revolution at bedtime just in case he should have to go out and his neck get wet. I would dig into his fur and try to hold it back to find a pink spot and tell my husband we were ready. Only then would he start opening the Revolution, at which point my guy would have moved and we would have to start again. Plan B, according to vet was to shave a spot prior to application, but neither we nor she really wanted to do this - itchy as all get out, and it would be a monthly thing. So far he is doing really well on the Sentinel. That is quite a difference in weight between your dogs - guess one is just "bigger boned". The 2 Keeshonds I am acquainted with weight about 45 lbs. - gorgeous colouring. I am jealous - particularly on rainy, muddy days with my white Fluffo.

clm
June 6th, 2008, 06:29 PM
How's your Eskie liking the heat today? My guys are quite contenct to lounge around in the house with the air conditioning. :laughing: They're not going to enjoy this weekend outside much with the heat.

This is the reason my Eskimo gets Sentinel rather than the topical Revolution he had his first year. The manufacturers recommended to vets that double coated breeds be givin heartworm protection in pill form because of the risk of the topical not being absorbed due to said double coat - no kidding. What an event - and the Eskie fur, actually being more like Persian cat hair - isn't nearly as dense as the Keeshond's so I can just imagine what you are going through. We had to apply the Revolution at bedtime just in case he should have to go out and his neck get wet. I would dig into his fur and try to hold it back to find a pink spot and tell my husband we were ready. Only then would he start opening the Revolution, at which point my guy would have moved and we would have to start again. :laughing::laughing:Yep, that was us. Once we finally did get it on the skin we made them stay still for a minute so it actually had a chance to soak in well. I've had trouble with kees in the past with the pills and the chewable heartworm meds. Both my previous dogs had reactions to them. Scary, they would almost be totally out of it for a couple of days after taking them. I stopped giving the meds to our first dog, heartworm wasn't a big problem here 20 years ago, so the vet suggested we just stop giving it to him since he didn't handle it well. Our second dog was related to the first, and they had the topical stuff out by the time we started giving him the meds, so when he had the same problem with the pills and the chewies, we switched him over to the topical. Plan B, according to vet was to shave a spot prior to application, but neither we nor she really wanted to do this - itchy as all get out, and it would be a monthly thing. So far he is doing really well on the Sentinel. That is quite a difference in weight between your dogs - guess one is just "bigger boned". Yes, Baxter is bigger boned. Bentley has a slight frame. The 2 Keeshonds I am acquainted with weight about 45 lbs. - gorgeous colouring. I am jealous - particularly on rainy, muddy days with my white Fluffo.Oh, if Bentley were white, he'd never stay that way. :laughing:I bet you just love mud season. :laughing:

SnowDancer
June 7th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Cindy, my Eskie loves to bask in the heat on the tile in the kitchen on is back - and on his back on the grass if we are at his feet, and he is harness and leashed. This is a guy who loves to flash, hence the showing off of his nether regions. Re the chewable Heartworm meds, the funny thing there is that when we had my darling Dachshunds, they never had a problem with them, it was only when the topical was prescribed that they had a reaction and needed Benedryl. Fortunately our Eskie has no problem with the Sentineal chewable - the vet did ask us though to watch for any of the tell-tale signs of a problem. This is his second year on the chewable and actually last year they suggested he take it year round due to our supposedly warmer winters. Many of the patients were coming in around January as the snow melted with stomach upsets from eating stuff in the ground, and our Eskie is a serious Hoover, so for him it worked out great. No stomach problems - althought his year who could have found the ground - snow yes - and he is a major snow eater - but what goes in, must come out - and when it is cold, even more so. Yesterday we had to pick up my husband and he went with me. I put one of those Rubbermaid icy packs - the one with the little cubes on the lap over a sheet - El was in bliss and I was freezing. But after we got out of the car, the number of wets was incredible - my husband couldn't believe it - it is the cold in the kidneys. Too bad your pups can't have the chewable, because I never, ever want to go through the trying to find the pink spot on the neck again. If only my husband had been ready with the Revolution - and he has no patience - just thinks he does. Now he could hold El's neck while I applied the Revolution, but El is more comfortable and likely to sit still while I hold his neck - a true Mommy's boy - I do like the male dogs, even if he is the most feminine guy I know - EXCEPT FOR LOVING THE MUD. He was groomed last Saturday, the 31st. As we were 4 blocks from the car that torrential storm hit - so much for his blow dry. Actually every time he gets groomed it rains, but this was nuts. Good luck next month with your Revolution. So far we have been very lucky with all of his shots. The only one that is off the regular schedule is the Kennel Cough - he gets it in Jan. and the rest April 1 - his birthday (guess who is the fool and it isn't El). This year was the year for everything and no problem, for which I am grateful. I except he is saving his illnesses/accidents for something horrible which will mean a midnight run to Guelph for emergency surgery. I love the Guelph clinic even though I absolutely never want to see it again. Hope your pups enjoy the weather - and the pool. I absolutely will not get a little pool for El, he would be soaked constantly, then roll in the dirt and no doubt develop hot spots. It is bad enough that he tries to get hosed down by everyone watering their lawns - and spraying water to shut him up is an absolute treat. At the Groomers when he goes to socialization they will sometimes spray water into the air when all of the dogs are barking - the only one not stand and take it in is our little very angelic looking DEVIL.

clm
June 7th, 2008, 08:45 PM
:laughing::laughing:Your Eskie sounds like a real character. Likes to get wet and play in the mud after, he sounds like Bentley's twin. :evil:

Cindy