Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Roaches!

ancientgirl
June 4th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I just had to chase Oksana down the stairs and to the kitchen, just to get a roach from her. I saw her playing with something, and when I looked at what she was playing with, it was a roach! I went to smush it with my flip flop and she grabbed it with her mouth and ran!

:yuck: I managed to get it from her mouth and got a paper towel and threw it away. I don't like seeing her eat them, because I have this fear they might have some bug spray from another apartment or something. Mind you, I've found body parts here and there on occasion, so I know someone has been feasting on the nasty things, but if I can help it, I won't let her eat one. Double :yuck:

Frenchy
June 4th, 2008, 08:28 PM
But they're full of proteins :laughing:

krdahmer
June 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM
EW EW EW :yuck: My very first apartment was so exciting until the new guy who moved in above us brought the dastardly things with him! They were everywhere... in our couches, cupboards, dressers....:yell: And I hate bugs!!! We had to store all our food in the fridge! I'm so impressed you were brave enough to pick it up! Everytime I saw one I wanted to run out of the apartment screaming! :rolleyes:

I would be careful about them, just in case they get into the kind of poison they eat... might make the kitties sick too by eating them. Our landlord came and put stuff in the back of the cupboards and that seemed to get rid of them.... then we moved and started new somewhere else sans le creepy crawlers!!! :)

I heard you get some pretty monstrous bugs down there in the south.... one reason why I loooooove winter.... kills most every year and we go almost bug free for 4-5 months! :thumbs up:D

otter
June 4th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I'm with you one the EW, EW, EW double :yuck:

I'd be interested in whether the roach can carry poison that might affect the kitties.... i've never thought of that. Does that happen or are you being cautious? (caution never hurts :thumbs up)

Hopefully the critters will get the message that your place is well guarded by attack kitties :D and just start to stay away (and hopefully tell all their friends :laughing:)

Chaser
June 4th, 2008, 08:58 PM
:yuck::yuck::yuck: is really all I have to say about that...and I think you are very brave!

Jim Hall
June 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM
i owuld love to find out the affects if various roach poisins on cats also

i use the food bait traps where they eat go back and die but all of the cats i have had owuldnt eat them just chase them and toss them around

idn think cats would eat em cause one of thier defendes is they are suppused to taste bad maybe the florida ones taste better :D:D

ancientgirl
June 5th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I'm being cautious, when I see her. I imagine if those nasty critters get into poison and die it would affect my kitties, so when I see them messing with one I immediately give it the ol' whack!

I'm assuming my cats eat them, because I have found dismembered roaches here and there. And Oksana had this one in her mouth so I had to make her drop it.

The good thing is, I don't see many, but the problem is, they do live in the walls. So they can easily come from one apartment to another, and if there's an opening somewhere they're in. I hate them, they're just so incredibly disgusting and big! This one was nearly the size of my thumb.:yuck:

chico2
June 5th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I realize down south it's a pretty common thing,difficult to control,a haven for Roaches:yell:
I've seen many in South Carolina,but if I had any in my house,I'd probably sell:laughing:

ancientgirl
June 5th, 2008, 07:59 AM
The good thing, I suppose, is I really only ever see them coming from the bathroom. Mainly upstairs, coming out of the cabinet where the sink is. :shrug:

There's really little you can do, especially if you have small kids or pets. Fumigating is dangerous. Yes, you could put something to kill them in the cupboards, but again I'd be afraid whatever they ate would be transferred to my gang.

Love4himies
June 5th, 2008, 08:01 AM
:eeew:

We may have snow and the cold, but we don't have the bugs you do down in Florida.

ancientgirl
June 5th, 2008, 08:18 AM
One of the great things I loved about living up north, was no roaches! I lived in Illinois and Michigan until I was 14, and the only roaches I ever saw were the really tiny ones. When we moved here to Florida, I was shocked at how big they were!

phoozles
June 5th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I gotta tell you, stepping on them might not be a good idea. Apparently they carry their eggs on their backs, so stepping on them actually spreads the eggs around :yuck: Your best bet is to flush them down the toilet..

I wish I could say I just heard that somewhere, but the first house a few girls and I rented in University was attached to a home that looked like it was right out of the movie Se7en. :eek: Their house was infested, and so, then was ours. I remember one day just over the course of making some spaghetti I came across 6 - one by the pot, one in the drawer where the spoon was, one by the fridge - well, you get the idea...

We came to know the bug guy by name - Steve - every week he'd come by and say "I think I got all of them", and then we'd see some babies in the bathroom :yell:

Most pest control companies use a kind of goo stuff (okay, so NOT the technical term), that lines along the walls - they are harmless to pets, so you might want to find out what they are using to treat the problem..

That's actually why I got Jake - he was supposed to be a roach killer.. wouldn't you know that he couldn't care less about the bugs.. plus some of them were almost the same size as him! :eek: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

ancientgirl
June 5th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I didn't know that about the eggs. I'll sometimes find just dead ones and pick them up with a paper towel, then mush it just to make sure it's dead. That's what I did last night. I got it out of Oksana's mouth, covered it with the rug and went for a paper towel. Grabbed, smush and toss:yuck:

Jim Hall
June 5th, 2008, 03:08 PM
yup makes sure yo hit the spot with some enzyme or bleach where you smash em cause the roaches will be atrracted to that the goo stuff is good they eat go back to nest die and get eaten then they die etc

havent relly seen any thing i vcould really trust about how safe it is

thats why i \likes the enclosed ones fuzzbits cant get at it

Dracko
June 6th, 2008, 03:32 PM
OMG! Thank gawd we don't have roaches up here. Well I've never heard anyone I know say they've ever seen one. I'd be absolutely freaked out beyond belief.

Is it inevitable roaches will be in all houses down there or is it possible to irradicate them? I imagine it's harder to keep them out of apartment buildings cuz you never know what someone else is doing to encourage their presence.

ancientgirl
June 6th, 2008, 05:08 PM
You can really only control them with regular pest control, but it's still hard. Where I used to live several years ago, they would have someone come in monthly and spray in the corners and along the baseboards of every apartment. I rarely saw any roaches when I lived there. But I'd be wary of anyone doing that now with my cats.

All I can really do is just keep my own space clean.