Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yeast Infection :(

SassyDog
June 4th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Sassy is a Rotweiler/Terrier and the last time we took her for a haircut they said she has a yeast infection, which we knew. We have antibiotics for her but they don't seem to work. She has pills for her skin, but they made her mouth smell bloody and seemed to make it worse. She also has drops for her ears, but after a couple days they get bad again. Her eyes are always gunked up, her eyes smell foul, her stomach & under her arms are all black. She also has a limp from licking her paws. Does anybody have any advice, or home remedies?

"Please help me"< :dog:

Chaser
June 4th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I know there are some senior members, and of course Dr. Lee, who will know a lot more about this - but I'm just curious about what food she is eating and if it might be related?

Dr Lee
June 4th, 2008, 06:36 PM
...she has a yeast infection, which we knew. We have antibiotics for her but they don't seem to work.

A few thoughts. If she truly has a yeast infection (visual inspection alone can be very inaccurate), this is a fungus. Antibiotics kill bacteria which naturally compete against yeast. So... antibiotics in the face of a fungal infection can make the fungal infection worse :eek:or at the least, no better. For fungal infections like yeast, oral and topical anti-fungals would be recommended.:) Ketoconazole is a common oral medication that is used for short courses to help with yeast infections. Miconazole is a common topical agent for yeast.

A anti-fungal home remedy would include topical white vinegar. The acetic acid kills both yeast and bacteria. For topical yeast infections, miconazole can be found in some athlete's foot sprays or lotions or in some gynecologic yeast medications.

As far as recommendations, I would recommend a veterinarian examination where they can perform cytology (usually takes 10-15 minutes) and look at the infection under the microscope. They can tell you if it is a yeast infection or a resistant bacterial infection. If the infection is a resistant bacterial infection, then the yeast medication can also make the current clinical signs worse. Bottom line - lets get a diagnosis first, then figure a treatment. In house cytology is typically inexpensive as diagnostic tests go.

I would also talk to your veterinarian about underlying allergies - either atopy (environmental allergies), food allergies, flea allergies, or a combination of allergies. There can also be other underlying causes such as thyroid disease, Cushing's, liver, diabetes, or a primary skin problem like mites.

Also if she is limping from licking her paws, then two things come to mind. First she is in discomfort :cry:and second that the infection and/or inflammation is deep. Both reasons suggest an appointment with your veterinarian. Please let us know how it goes and if there are additional questions we can answer. :pawprint:

loopoo
June 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
if she has had a skin scraping to determine the type of infection, and her blood tested and there are no underlying conditions, allergies most definitely can be a part of this. what food are they eating? a food switch to one with minimal ingredients or singular protein, and or grain source may be a good idea. a probiotic to replace the good bacteria in her system is another good idea, often the cycle of antibiotics can kill this off and our bodies need the good stuff.
omegas, a good flax seed oil or salmon oil or capsules can help get the skin and coat back on track, and reduce inflammation naturally. if she has had this for some time it will take some time to heal as well.

Malaseb is a name of a shampoo that is well liked by many and has an anti fungal and an anti bacterial to it that can help reduce the smell temporarily. thing is this needs to be healed from the inside out, so while topicals can help, you need to look at an allergy source as the doctor has recommended as well, many times this can be food and switching can help alot, there are other allergies too though contact inhalant that require different routes, and strengthening up your doggies immune system will help but takes time.

Dr Lee
June 5th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Great suggestions loopoo.:thumbs up Malaseb is a great antifungal medication. As far as the omegas - in general both omega 3 (fish oils) and omega 6 (flax seed etc...) are great for the hair coat. However when inflammation is present, we want to have a high ratio of Omega 3 compared to Omega 6. Omega 6 is present in some level in all dog foods, meat products, etc... So for inflammation of the skin Omega 3 competitively inhibits the production of inflammatory mediators. Thus I agree with loopoo - add on fish oils.:pawprint:

SassyDog
June 10th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Thank you for all the responses. We're going to try the fish oils & possibly take her to a new vet.

rainbow
June 11th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Chronic ear infections and darkened skin alert me to hypothyroidism.......I would really have the vet check her for this. Good luck and please post with an update. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

waterats
August 22nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
We took our dog to the vet for constant licking on just one of her paws. The vet put her on 2000mg of Cephalsporin a day and a topical antibiotic for 10 days along with foot soaks in Epsom Salt twice daily. We just finished the course and the same foot is still the focus of her licking attention. It is just one foot. Does anyone know if a foot fungus would affect just one paw? The vet said if the antibiotics did not work it was probably a foot fungus. Any ideas what home treatment may work? Thank you.

russte
August 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
Try some tea tree oil, you can get it at any health food store, Sangters is one.:thumbs up russte

sugarcatmom
August 22nd, 2008, 11:22 PM
Try some tea tree oil, you can get it at any health food store, Sangters is one.:thumbs up russte

Caution with the tea tree oil. NEVER use undiluted, but I personally wouldn't risk it. Better off to ask your vet about some of the recommendations Dr. Lee made.

....tea tree oil toxicosis has been reported in humans, rats, dogs, and cats. Most patients have clinical signs of central nervous system depression. Dogs and cats with tea tree oil toxicosis will appear weak, obtunded, uncoordinated, ataxic, and usually have muscular tremors. Cats may exhibit signs of liver damage. Toxic components are fat soluble and rapidly absorbed via skin and GI tract. There is no antidote. Treatment involves general detoxification, supportive care, bathing with mild detergents, using activated charcoal if ingested.
http://www.veterinarywatch.com/Abstract-tea-tree-oil.htm

russte
August 23rd, 2008, 01:04 AM
Sorry, I should have clarified that, I mean an ointment, which I use on sores and scraps, bug bites on us and our dogs called Derma E Tea tree and E antiseptic Creme. It is a soothing skin treatment, it is an anti-bacterial antifungal antiseptic, and Vitamin E is known for restoring and healing properties. russte