Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heavy ceramic/pottery water bowl

dbg10
June 3rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
I have a very heavy large ceramic water bowl. These bowls used to be available in every pet store I went into but now that my Pepper's bowl is cracked I can only find light weight bowls that do not keep her water cold. I've checked out Pet Valu, Petcetera and Petsmart and can't find one anywhere. They seem to be leaning toward the auto-fill bowls that you fill and then the water in the flask above the bowl keeps the bowl full. The only ceramic bowls I've found are much lighter than hers. The width of the sides of her bowl were about 3/4" whereas the newer bowls are 1/4" if that.

To make a long story short, does anyone know of any place that carries the old heavy ceramic or pottery bowls? The reason I prefer the old bowl is that it kept her water cold for her.

Chaser
June 3rd, 2008, 10:20 PM
I don't know for sure that they are thick enough for you, but I've noticed HomeSense carries a lot of ceramic bowls that seem pretty sturdy. :)

dbg10
June 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks I'll give them a try. They were usually available in all the pet stores and I was surprised when I couldn't find them anywhere. There are still a couple of pet stores I haven't checked but since I couldn't find them in the big chain stores I doubt I will find them there. I'll give home sense a try and see what they have. :)

LavenderRott
June 4th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I got mine at Wal-Mart. Not sure if it was in the pet section or with the dishes.

ancientgirl
June 4th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I don't know if you have Ross over there but I got my gangs water bowls there and they are super heavy. Target might be a good place to look too.

goldengal
June 5th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Believe it or not, I have a ceramic bowl about 10" across that I bought at Michael's years ago. I am sure it was meant to plant something in it, but my last Golden had it for years, and my current Golden has been using it for almost 4 years. It is very sturdy and will not tip over. Might be worth taking a look in any garden place to see if they have anything similar.

dbg10
June 5th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks everyone. I checked Walmart and they didn't have any but might be out of stock. so I'll look again. I can try Target and Giant Tiger too which may have some.

Goldengal I LOL when I read yours because I plan to use the existing water bowl as a flower pot. You are right the garden centers might have something similar.

I was surprised when I couldn't find one because they are so good at not tipping and keeping the water cold. Yes mine is about 10 inches across. They seem to have gone to plastic bowls and water delivery systems like the animal was a plant or something. There is a pet store near me that I haven't checked but might just have one. He has a lot of old stock in his store and very high prices so I tend to avoid his store if I can. If I find one I'll let you all know where I found it.
Thanks for all the suggestions! :)

Longblades
June 5th, 2008, 11:23 AM
If you buy them from a source not specifically marketed for pets better make sure the colour and glazings are lead free. I guess even those made for pets, if from a dubious source, (lead in children's toys made in China, remember?) should be tested. Here's a link to lead testing: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2007/2007_173-eng.php

ppassat
June 5th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I found mine at Petsmart in Daly city, ca. they have them. good luck.

dbg10
June 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I'm going to check another petsmart store in the next town to me and see if they happen to have any. I can't believe they have stopped making them, but maybe they have. I'll let you know if I find one there.

dbg10
June 15th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Success :thumbs up I found a 2 liter (quart) white ceramic bowl with a silver label on it "My Dog" at the Petsmart store in the next town. (whitby). Pepper went with us and chose the bowl :) she tried to drink out of it in the store so there was no doubt in my mind that it was a good choice. It was a little on the expensive side $22.99 but it was the only one that size that looked like it would keep her water cold. It is not as thick as the previous one but I think it will work well.

The 2 liter one won't be empty as often and that's what I was more concerned about with the new bowl than anything else. I was filling the 1/2 liter one I was using in the interim three or 4 times a day and often found it empty. In the heat we've had here recently, it is important that she have water available at all times.

Just thought I'd let everyone that Petsmart has the large heavy ceramic bowls. There was a black stoneware one with white paw prints on it, that was more like her previous one in thickness but the largest one was about 3/4 liter which isn't big enough for her.

:D

Longblades
June 16th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Gosh, if I'd known you might do that I'd have posted this sooner. Our big 3 litre water bowl is the white ceramic one that belongs to a mix master. For any one else who might try this route we got our first one at a garage sale and the second at Goodwill. Very cheap.

HelenNutmeg
June 16th, 2008, 09:53 AM
look at this one.. lol

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/393822/unique_drinking_bowl_for_dogs_the_ceramic.html

Longblades
June 16th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Ha, ha, good one.

Praellwyn
June 16th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Hi!

:lightbulb: Try U.K. sites for the authentic heavy ceramic bowls (made in England). Alternatively, try www.hagen.com (yes, Hagen). They make the heavy ceramic bowls for rodents & cats, probably for dogs too. Use www.dogpile.com (Google, Yahoo, Live Search & Ask simultanuously- VERY good).

Praellwyn
June 16th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Hi!

Forgot to mention, beware of country of fabrication of ceramic bowls, especially if from 3rd World countries. Depending on mud/water origin possible lead poisoning over time.

:dog: