Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for breeders

LuvEvolution7
June 3rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
hello all. I am new to this forum and I wanted to ask a question. I am in the Niagara region and I'm looking for a Great Pyrenese as a pet. I would rather not buy from a pet store ( I have issues with them) and they are rather difficult to find in shelters, etc.. I was hoping that someone on here might know of a breeder in the area. I seem to remember seeing one across the Welland Canal in Niagara on the Lake, or at least it looked like a breeder. again, not sure, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to any replys and also many years of enjoyment on this forum. thanks in advance.

Shadow's mom
June 3rd, 2008, 07:07 PM
Have you tried searching for breeders in Ontario on google? I know there are some there, what their reputation is would require some research but it's a start. Good luck.

Chris21711
June 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Why don't you try the Pyrenee Rescue Club. If you have never owned one, I would recommend researching the breed thoroughly, they have quite the special temperament.

Shadow's mom
June 3rd, 2008, 07:14 PM
here's the web for it
http://www.canadogs.com/BreedGrPyrenees.htm
By the way "Welcome" I have found lots of great info on this forum and the pictures are great

LuvEvolution7
June 5th, 2008, 01:31 PM
thank you all for your input..................I will check out that website and I will research the breed for sure. I have done some already, but do admit that I need to do more. I am not one to jump in to something feet wet and plan to find out all I can first. I think the rescue club sounds like a fantastic option and will deffinitely look into it. thank you all.

LavenderRott
June 5th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Please make sure that any breeder you decide to get a pup from is forthcoming with information for you.

By this I mean - they should know all of the genetic diseases that the breed is prone to and how to prevent passing these things on. Care should be taken to be sure that professional certifications are done on things like hips, elbows and eyes. An ethical breeder should be able to provide you with copies of such certifications so that you can verify them. (And YES - you should verify them. It is not uncommon for unscroupulous breeders to forge or falsify such documentation.) FYI - these certifications are NOT done at the local vet's office. If a breeder says that their vet said the dog was healthy enough to breed - RUN, do not walk away.

An ethical breeder will not only tell you the good points about the breed but also the bad. They do not want to place a puppy in a home that will not work out, they want the best homes possible.

Don't assume that you don't want showdogs as parents of your pet puppy. Showing in conformation shows that the parents meet the standard in structure and temperment. As lame as it might sound, it really is important and is just one small difference between an ethical breeder and a back yard breeder.

mastifflover
June 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Good advice Lavenderott. But if you decide this is the breed for you speak to the Great Pry rescue they may have a dog for you or could put you on a waiting list. They also may be able to point you in the direction of a reputable breeder. Who if they are will interview you and ask for references. Dogs from a good breeder are quite expensive and giant breeds have giant vet bills. They need twice as much medicine and food is also expensive, I speak from experience I have owned two Mastiffs. Pyrs are great dogs but have minds of their own. So do your homework and this is a great place to get advice.Good Luck and Welcome aboard