Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bored cat

Magicwildwolf69
June 3rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
Hey guys!

Was just wondering if any of you have suggestions for a cat that seems to get bored with everything in about 5 mins. My cat ecplise seems to get bored with everything i give him. I take some toys away hide them bring the back out he plays with them then stops. I will get a laser light out he will chase that and then lay down and watch it only attacks the light if it comes near him. I'll get out string and play with him again about five minutes he's done playing but he's always looking bored. I give him catnip about once every couple weeks that seems to hold his attention for about an hour then back to being bored. Any one else have cats like this or is mine just special lol. We have two other cats. He plays with the one year old i have. He's always climbing my doorways and runs around like crazy. Any suggestions would be good. One note i have pretty much tried catnip filled toys balls squeaky toys i think pretty much everything my pet place has :laughing:

Jim Hall
June 3rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
bored cats will usually show other signs lack of appetite excessive grooming irratibilty

i wouod say if she just seems bored she is not a play cat ive had cats like that and my cat now du is like that a few minutes is all she wants sort of like the time it would take to catch a mouse

does she have acess to a screnned in window seat > that may help

phoozles
June 3rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Hmm.. How old is he? Some older cats just aren't as active as younger ones are - sometimes you don't even notice it until you throw a kitten into the mix!

Is he treat motivated? You could try a hide and seek game with treats.. ? Or you could try this "Smart Toy" - seems to get good reviews: http://cats.about.com/cs/playforcats/fr/peek_a_prize.htm

Good luck!

Magicwildwolf69
June 3rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
He's going to 4 in a month. He's been like this since he was little plays a bit then just lays there. He does love his treats. Hooks his paw around my hand to pull it to him. He used to play with his sister alot then ever since the attack he did on me in February she just stays away from him.

phoozles can they take the toys out of that? I have something similar to that but the toys stay in it they can just whack the toys around but they don't come out

phoozles
June 3rd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Yeah, apparently they can get the toys out - so you can put any toy you want in there - but it's up to you to put them back in :laughing:

My guy Jake has spurts of playing, but he gets bored/tired pretty quickly too.. It especially happened when he was overweight - I think he could only handle short workouts..

Magicwildwolf69
June 3rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Maybe i should try that one lol he loves to have his toys in something but he wants to be able to get them out.

His sister is like that she runs around all the time plays with everything but she is a bit overweight and gets tired easily. You would think the amount of time she spends begging for treats she would just got run laps to lose some weight :rolleyes: