Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peeing outside the litterbox - HELP!

MartiniGIrl
June 3rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
My 4 year old cat started peeing outside the litterbox down in the basement on the carpet when I moved homes. It's been almost a year now since I moved and she's still doing it. I took her to to vet to rule out any health problems, and he said she's healthy and thinks its a behavioural problem. He suggested I put her on meds, but I really dont want to do that. I'm not even sure it will work!

I'm going to have to rip up the carpet in the basement near the litterboxes, but I'm afraid she'll start peeing elsewhere.

Any suggestions on how to correct this problem?

I have three cats and 3 litterboxes which I clean daily.

I dont know what to do and I cant stand the mess she's making!!!

duttypaws
June 3rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
hmm mine does it every now and then but its on a litter tray mat.. her butt hangs out the box.... i just make sure the box is super clean and a little of her mark is left outside... else i found she was remarking ...

it may be there is a smell that isnt hers....

sugarcatmom
June 3rd, 2008, 04:03 PM
Sometimes just adding one more litter box and putting it in a different area from the other boxes can help. What type of litter do you use? Perhaps she's decided she doesn't like that particular brand, especially if it's scented. You might want to try some other varieties to find one she prefers (offer a litter box "buffet" and see if she uses one more than the others). There is also a type of litter and litter additive called Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract that I've heard works well. Does she go right beside the box or in another part of the basement? Are the boxes covered?

Here are some links for you to check out:
http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/inappro-elim.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/inappro-elim2.html

MartiniGIrl
June 5th, 2008, 08:40 AM
there are different litters in the litterboxes. I added different stuff thinking she didnt like the litter. I bought The World's Best Litter and my other cats seem to love it, yet this one still pees on the carpet. She pees near where the litterboxes are because I've blocked off the rest of the basement because she was peeing in other areas. My upstairs is all hardwood so the only carpet is inthe basement with the exception of a small area rug in my living room. And no, none of the boxes are covered. I've never heard of that Cat ATtract litter, perhaps I shall have a look for it. thanks.

growler~GateKeeper
June 6th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Make sure you are not cleaning the area with a cleaner that has ammonia in it - it has a similiar smelling base property as cat pee. You need an enzymatic cleaner that will fully remove the smell, then she is not associating that particular spot as a good place to go. If it is right outside the litterbox, I would move that box as well.

MartiniGIrl
June 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I've cleaned the carpet with all kinds of stuff I got at the pet store, that Miracle stuff and whatnot. nothing works. I'm going to have to rip up the carpet for sure now. The litterboxes are all in the basement and this is where she is peeing. The last thing I want is to move the litterbox upstairs and have her peeing on my hardwood.

growler~GateKeeper
June 7th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I meant move the box to another spot in the basement over two feet or something (not upstairs) just so it is in a slightly different area, then hopefully she will no longer associate the carpet surrounding that box as a good place to go :fingerscr