Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Duffy post dental surgery & teeth pics :)

growler~GateKeeper
June 2nd, 2008, 10:53 PM
Duffy had a total of 6 teeth removed/crown amputations done on Thursday. She got some nice homeopathic remedies to ease the pain & help healing, seems to put her to sleep too :laughing: And I did ask for the teeth & got them back too :D

Thurs nite after surgery, she's finally gotten to eat, had her pain remedy & is sleeping off the last after effects of the anaesethia

Friday waiting for dinner......It's been 1/2 hr since the remedy, can I eat now? :cat:

jiorji
June 2nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
awwwwwwwwwww lil Duffy sleeping :cloud9:

I like that last picture "ummm it's past my dinner time...what do you think you're doing?!?!"

growler~GateKeeper
June 2nd, 2008, 11:00 PM
This is the tooth that was removed placed next to a dime for comparison, check out the root (below the pink line) it's bigger than the crown!

This is the crown amputation they did, they were not able to remove the root it was growing imbeded into/attached to the jaw bone, so they cut the crown & abit below the gumline & sutured over. The black spot pointed out w/the arrow shows the reabsorptive lesion (cavity)

Saturday nite she's feeling all better except for a little soreness in the gums, still doesn't want me in her mouth at all, although she will stay still for me to administer the remedy :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
June 2nd, 2008, 11:01 PM
Here she is Sunday afternoon good as new & feeling fine (just don't look in my mouth! :cat:) :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
June 2nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
awwwwwwwwwww lil Duffy sleeping :cloud9:

I like that last picture "ummm it's past my dinner time...what do you think you're doing?!?!"

:laughing: She's was like Has it been 1/2 hour yet? has it? are you sure? :cat: She was very happy to hear the alarm go off to let me/her know it was dinner time! :D

hazelrunpack
June 2nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
She's looking super!!!

So when they amputate a crown that way, what happens to the nerves in the tooth? :eek: Do they do a root canal? :confused:

jiorji
June 2nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
awwwwwwwwwwww teeny Duffy teefs!!:cloud9:

those bugger cavities!! I'll kick them for you Duffy!:mad:

growler~GateKeeper
June 2nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
So when they amputate a crown that way, what happens to the nerves in the tooth? :eek: Do they do a root canal? :confused:

They will if the nerves are "active" but I think since the roots on those were attached into the bone they were pretty much dead below the gumline :shrug: They did cut the tooth far enough down in order to suture gum over top so if the nerves were still active she won't feel anything.

I do also have the insisors and some small chips off the other tooth as well, they pretty much saves as much as possible for me to take home. I also have the pics the Dr took of before & after the procedure, plus her homeopath vet will email me the xray pics when they receive those too :D

angeldogs
June 2nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
That is good that she is feeling better.i like the waiting for dinner pics.

growler~GateKeeper
June 2nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks :), Yeah she wasn't real happy about me making her wait but she felt better for it :D

angeldogs
June 2nd, 2008, 11:35 PM
That must of been a little painful for her having the teeth removed.but a better pain then when the teeth were in her mouth.

KimandAutumn
June 2nd, 2008, 11:41 PM
oh my goodness. poor kitty you've been through alot!! healing vibes. :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
June 2nd, 2008, 11:49 PM
Duffy's dental story is here http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52735

Silly :cat: never really showed she was hurting unless you directly touched the reabsorptive lesion & the other teeth removed she didn't really show signs of pain they were only suspected, but showed up as definate problems on the xrays

angeldogs
June 3rd, 2008, 12:15 AM
Oh ok.that's good she didn't seem to be in any pain before the surgery

14+kitties
June 3rd, 2008, 06:31 AM
Ouch! Brings back not so distant memories of root canal. :eek:
Poor Duffy! Glad she is doing well and much better those teeth aren't in her mouth any more! :goodvibes: for continued wellness.

Love4himies
June 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM
I am glad Duffy is doing well.

Did you have any concerns about the anesthetic due to her kidneys?

Chris21711
June 3rd, 2008, 10:24 AM
She is too pretty Growler. Hope you asked permission to take photos :D That sure is a lot for any animal to go through let alone a 17 year old cat. So glad that ordeal is over for her. :cat:

krdahmer
June 3rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
Aw Duffy is down some teeth... but still as gorgeous as ever!!:lovestruck:

Ford Girl
June 3rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Awww, she's so beautiful. :cloud9: Pubert had teeth out in the early spring...fun times eh? LOL! He healed quick. :goodvibes: :goodvibes: for Duffy.

ancientgirl
June 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Poor Duffy. That one tooth with the long root looks like it was painful!

I'm glad she's feeling better.

wdawson
June 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
ouch :sad: the dentist is the worst

growler~GateKeeper
June 3rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the good vibes & well wishes everyone :)
Duffy's doing great :D her eating has not been affected at all, I gave her no-bone raw for a couple of days and she's back on bone-in, didn't seem to have any problems/soreness with that.

I am glad Duffy is doing well.

Did you have any concerns about the anesthetic due to her kidneys?

Yes that was what was stressing me the most, but they had her on IV fluids throughout the procedure and said she did great except for the blood pressure drop @ the beginning which is common and was easily resolved. She does have a blood & urine recheck scheduled for August. :goodvibes:

Her vet said unless she has any lasting soreness/discomfort with her mouth he is fine w/not checking her mouth, but as of today she seems totally back to normal and she has dissolving sutures of course so no worries there.

She is too pretty Growler. Hope you asked permission to take photos :D That sure is a lot for any animal to go through let alone a 17 year old cat. So glad that ordeal is over for her. :cat:

Thanks Chris, Duffy doesn't care if I take her pic aslong as she gets dinner :laughing:

loopoo
June 4th, 2008, 12:26 PM
i dislike dentists as a rule, necessary evil lol so glad your kitty is feeling better now:)

growler~GateKeeper
June 4th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks loopoo :)

Duffy had a great vet dentist and I myself have also had 2 wonderful human dentists look after me so I'm okay with them :laughing:

rainbow
June 9th, 2008, 01:24 AM
What a little trooper Duffy was :thumbs up and just as beautiful as ever. :lovestruck:

I hope she got to put each tooth under her pillow for tooth fairy prezzies. :D