Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Overweight Daschund

Jokersbrew
June 2nd, 2008, 10:28 PM
My Daschund has a little weight problem. I know that the breed is prone to being overweight but she is heavier now than she has ever been. About 2-3 years ago she had some stones in her bladder that had to be removed and after that the vet said that we must feed her only the Hills Prescription Diet c/d dog food. It has only been since then that she has seemed to constantly just keep creeping up in weight. I really don't know what to do as I have completely cut out any kind of scraps or other human foods. She only gets a cup of the Prescription diet as recommended. I have also tried feeding her half a cup in the morning and the rest in the evening as well as taking a walk around the neighborhood but have failed to see any result. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can help her lose weight. Since she has already had a hip/back problem I would prefer to avoid her having another.

A few facts about my dog:
-Female
-Mini-daschund
-Current weight, 20lbs.
-Activity level, Medium

p.s.
I have also seen a food from Royal Canin that Petsmart sells. It says it is specifically designed for Daschunds. Has anyone tried this type before? If so were there any noticeable changes?

Thanks

Dr Lee
June 2nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
I would certainly agree with your concern regarding weight gain, especially in a Daschund. The key is to have less calories going in than being used up. One option is to reduce the amount of food by as much as 50%. This is a safer option than to increase exercise. Increasing exercise can be dangerous and lead to problems such as a herniated disc. Swimming however can be one alternative exercise which can a low impact safe option to help burn more calories. There is also a new drug made by Pfizer called Slentrol.

Metabolic or endocrine causes. If your pet is 5 years or older and has not had blood work within the last 6 months then a blood panel may be beneficial. Also if you decrease the food intake by 50% and no change in weight is noted, then I would again recommend blood testing.

As far as diet changes, the other prescription diets will likely mimic Hill's c/d. They all focus on urine pH. You may want to check the calorie levels of the various prescription diets but they are likely similar. I would NOT change to non-prescription diets though without talking to your veterinarian. I would not want to risk stone recurrence. Good luck. :pawprint:

growler~GateKeeper
June 3rd, 2008, 01:23 AM
Your dog is not only at risk of back/hip injury but also cranial cruciate ligament injury (in the legs) which would be just as bad.

I agree the decrease of calories is more crucial than increased excercise as that can lead to over doing it (especially when you see weight loss), then she is more prone to a CCL injury.

Swimming is a fabulous suggestion Dr Lee :thumbs up are there any beaches/dog pools near you? or with summer upon us you could buy a kiddie pool for the backyard :)

*Ask your vet* about mixing another lower calorie food in together w/the Hill's c/d :shrug:

:2cents: I would stay far away from any Royal Canin food (2007 toxic recall resulted in kidney failure in my cat) :2cents:

LavenderRott
June 3rd, 2008, 05:26 AM
I would avoid any dogfood that is marketed to a specific breed - it is a marketing ploy and if memory serves, the price tag on the RC breed specific foods is pretty high. Any supplements that might help the breed are so far down the list of ingredients list that they are ineffective.

Besides, despite the high price, RC is not one of the best foods out there.

SnowDancer
June 3rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Is your Dachshund eating the Hill's CANNED c/d or the dry (I am assuming there is a dry now, but could be wrong). My mini Dachshund had to eat the canned for 6 months back in 1989 after the removal of 4 bladder stones (they took out the stones during his TOTAL! back and neck disc surgery, so obviously weight was an issue). You indicate that your pup's current weight is 20 lbs. and that she is a mini - but how big of a mini - my guy's optimum weight was 12 lbs. - but I know there are mini's called "Tweenies" whose ideal weight would be say 16 lbs. - almost a small Standard. But if you girl should weigh 10 - 12 lbs., weight is definitely an issue and with the back problems even more so. I definitely think you are going to have to cut down on the amount of food you feed your Dachshund - and I know 100% how hard this will be - Dachshunds are the worst food hogs in history. The reason I asked whether food was canned or dry was to try and figure out how much your pup was actually getting to eat, considering the water in the canned food. I would also agree to steer clear of the food made especially for Dachshunds. I have to tell you that my guy did not like the c/d - it looked like white lard. But we were fortunate - we were told to feed it to him for 6 months at which point he would be X-Rayed to see if further crystals had developed which would turn into stones. Fortunately they had NOT!! So he was able to resume his preferred diet - the gourmet of gourmands. The stones were "adopted" with him - he was 3 at the time of his major surgery after having suffered through 3 back related "events" - but surgery was new at the time - so I guess the crystals just continued to form into stones during the 1 1/2 years we had him. If you give her any pieces of vegetable, you should watch the purines and oxalics they contain - and avoid any high sugar vegetables - "human" cooked sweet potatoes come to mind as all of my Dachshunds absolutely loved swee potato. We now have an American Eskimo - a breed also prone to stones. So far, so good - he is now 4. But should he develop a stone, the Hill's food it will be. Eskies are also food hounds.