Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog drinking excessively due to new dog food?

embached
June 2nd, 2008, 09:06 PM
My five year old mixed breed male had recently had a bout of vomiting and diahera. We took him to the vet and he was put on antibiotics, and given xrays and blood tests with no negative results. His health returned after he had finished his meds. Recently we changed his dry dog food in an attempt to help him with wieght loss as the vet said he was a candidate pancreatitis (sp?) I need spell check. This food is a premium dog food which doesnot contaiin any grains, only meat and vegetable products. Anyway the new food caused some loose stools however they seem to be getting better except now he seems so thirsty all the time. He will drink a whole bowl of water several times a day, much more than in the past, however he doesn't seem to have to urniate more often to rid himself of the extra fluid intake.
Lastly, he had his head out the window of our car last week (we don't usually allow this!) and he now has a runny eye. Could he be harbouring a fever from infection and therefore want to drink? He has not lost his appetite.
I appreciate any thoughts.

Dr Lee
June 2nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
I am not a fan of foods that increase water consumption as they are typically those that are too high in either salt or protein. Food is not supposed alter your water balance. I would suggest that you find a brand of food that meets the requirements that you are looking for but does not alter water consumption. :pawprint:

rainbow
June 3rd, 2008, 02:25 AM
I thought if dogs were fed a high protein grain free kibble you want them to drink lots of water. :shrug:

Dr Lee
June 3rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Rainbow, yes you are right that dogs on a high protein grain free kibble diet will and should drink a lot of water. I also need to temper my answer with the fact that the medical world (both human and veterinary) has gotten a few things wrong with nutrition and there is still much to learn.

There is debate about whether dogs are carnivores or omnivores. While they are of the Order Carnivora, they are currently still classified as omnivores. This very different from cats who are considered obligate carnivores. Dogs that are fed a meat only diet are at risk for developing nutritional-secondary hyperparathyroidism. There are some conditions where high protein low carbohydrate diets can be very beneficial in dogs such as dogs with cancer. There are also conditions where protein should be restricted. At the end of the day, the current veterinary thought comes back to "everything in moderate" with canine protein consumption.

While most of my posts are not controversial (I hope), I realize that this is an area of debate with many traditional medicine veterinarians on one side. It is possible that at the end of the day, we will not be correct. Wonderful thing about Science, Truth is Truth. We are always searching for it. Again, realize that my posts are here to represent traditional veterinary medicine, which is not always a complete picture.

If a dog is going to be on a heavily protein diet then I would recommend blood testing and urinalysis. Although this is a good idea for all pets right?

Thanks for the question Rainbow. On the subject of nutrition, I believe multiple views are important. :pawprint: