Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another bird I need help identifying

clm
June 2nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
This one is another bug catcher. Bigger, about sparrow size. Not the best pics in the world, but front and back shots.

Cindy

aslan
June 2nd, 2008, 09:43 PM
hmmm looks like a baby cardinal..

clm
June 2nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
This isn't a baby, it's an adult. Haven't seen any baby cardinals yet. Lots of other baby birds though. This one is an expert flier.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
June 2nd, 2008, 10:02 PM
It's another Empidonax flycatcher. :D (Sounds impressive, doesn't it? :p)

That means it could be one of a number of birds--best distinguished by its call. Have you heard its call, yet?

aslan
June 2nd, 2008, 10:04 PM
lol, i had like 6 different sarcastic comments go through my head hazel.....

ok i know nothing about birds.

clm
June 2nd, 2008, 10:05 PM
No, didn't hear a peep from it. It was hunting alone yesterday afternoon, so I guess no one to call to. Didn't see it today.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
June 2nd, 2008, 10:15 PM
If you hear "fee-be-oh", it's probably an Alder Flycatcher; "fitz-bew" would be a Willow Flycatcher, but they tend to stay more south. Yellow-bellied and Least Flycatchers are smaller, but it could still be one of those. The small ones are hard to tell apart because Yellow-Bellied sometimes sounds very similar to Least--a two syllable "che-bek". But Yellow-Bellied also whistles a two-syllable, ascending phrase. :shrug: I suppose it could be one of the other Empidonax, but those 4 are probably the most likely in your area.

aslan, I want you to drive out there and report back as to what you hear. :crazy:

clm
June 2nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
aslan, I want you to drive out there and report back as to what you hear. :crazy:

:laughing::laughing:

It's bigger than a yellow belly, sparrow size, but not as pudgy as a sparrow, more swallow shaped really. Love the little crested head look it has too.

Cindy

aslan
June 2nd, 2008, 10:21 PM
i'll get right on that tomorrow hazel, clm stay outside and listen for me yelling your name.:D

clm
June 2nd, 2008, 10:28 PM
i'll get right on that tomorrow hazel, clm stay outside and listen for me yelling your name.:D

:laughing::laughing: I'll be waiting. :laughing::laughing:

aslan
June 2nd, 2008, 10:29 PM
can i get a hint should i start in north or south mississauga.

Frenchy
June 2nd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Have you heard its call, yet?

lol, i had like 6 different sarcastic comments go through my head hazel.....

I got a bird for you
http://bestsmileys.com/cartoon/10.gif

:laughing:

clm
June 2nd, 2008, 10:43 PM
can i get a hint should i start in north or south mississauga.

Don't confuse me with north and south, :laughing:. Brampton, Mississauga, Etobicoke border. That way no one likes to take responsibility for the roads in the winter. :laughing:

Cindy

clm
June 2nd, 2008, 10:44 PM
I got a bird for you
http://bestsmileys.com/cartoon/10.gif

:laughing:

Oh you guys are really quick tonight. :laughing::laughing:

hazelrunpack
June 2nd, 2008, 10:49 PM
:laughing::laughing:

It's bigger than a yellow belly, sparrow size, but not as pudgy as a sparrow, more swallow shaped really. Love the little crested head look it has too.

Cindy

Are we talking English (house) sparrow? If so, I guess it's possible it's a pewee, but they tend to be browner in color and the one you caught in the picutre is greener than the pewees we have around here. :shrug:

ETA: and I don't think the head is relatively big enough for it to be a pewee...