Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Activism!!

want4rain
June 2nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
my little activist in the making!! Cailyn and i are heading down to the court house tomorrow night to show our support for legislation to hinder chaining dogs. :)

we just received notification of it. i wish i had known sooner. not sure how many people we can muster up in 24 hours!!

-ash

t.pettet
June 2nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
Good for you, every extra person who shows up will atleast make an impact.

Frenchy
June 2nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
my little activist in the making!! Cailyn and i are heading down to the court house tomorrow night to show our support for legislation to hinder chaining dogs. :)

What does that mean ? They're making a law against chaining dogs outside ? :confused: :o

If so :thumbs up

want4rain
June 3rd, 2008, 07:40 AM
yes Frenchy, we hope to pass an ordinance that seriously hinders tethering dogs outside. Cailyn and i hada short chat about it last night. im hoping we get more of a chance to talk this evening before we go.

-ashley

katherine93
June 3rd, 2008, 07:48 AM
I dont understand? Could you be a little more specific with what your doing please lol..Are you trying to ban people from hooking their dogs outside during the day wwhile they are gone, even if taken inside during the night and people who tie their dogs when they have to go outside and do their pee pee or people who have them tied up 24/7 With inadequate shelter and are NEVER let of their chain? Just a little confused..lol

IF its option 2 i completely agree with what your doing but if its 1 and 2 im not sure i agree. :shrug:

want4rain
June 3rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
it will not restrict people from tethering occasionally but it will prevent people from as a primary method for containing your dog. for example if we were to tether Mister while out for a while, thats ok but dogs who are *always* on their tether or on it for more than a few hours a day will receive a fine. not sure how it is up there but since our climate is warm enough year round most dogs who are tethered are for their entire life. not just a few hours a day. i personally know of several dogs who have been on a tether since they were 2 months old. since then they ahve not seen the inside of a house, had a chance to actually RUN! let alone be a part of any sort of pack or community.

-ash

want4rain
June 3rd, 2008, 09:11 AM
some more info i got this morning-

Key Reasons for Ordinance

* Public Safety: Chaining contributes to aggression and constitutes a public safety threat. Dogs most likely to bite are male, un-neutered and chained, and chained dogs are 2.8 times more likely to bite (and over 5 times more likely for bites involving children under age 12), according to a study published in Pediatrics (“Which Dogs Bite,” June 1994). In the period October 2003 – September 2007, 175 children in the U.S. were killed or seriously injured by chained dogs. (New Mexico Department of Public Safety)

* Humane Issues: Prolonged chaining is harmful to dogs. It deprives them of necessary exercise and socialization; subjects them to the dangers of becoming tangled and prevented from reaching food, shelter and water; causes injuries like strangulation, trachea damage from pulling and embedded collars; makes dogs vulnerable to attack from free-roaming dogs and wildlife. Numerous Orange County veterinarians have endorsed this tethering restriction.

* Pet Overpopulation: Chained dogs contribute to our community’s pet overpopulation problem. Dogs that are continuously tethered are frequently unsterilized, and no barrier protects the in-tact chained female from unwanted breeding. Indeed every chained female dog that the Coalition to Unchain Dogs has helped locally has had at least one, and often multiple litters of puppies. These puppies end up in our local shelters, further overburdening the system and costing taxpayers money.

* Public Nuisance: Continually chained dogs are frequently neglected, lack vaccinations and proper health care and contribute to public nuisance issues like barking and pet overpopulation, as detailed above.

* An Important Tool for Animal Control: Several North Carolina jurisdictions, including the counties of New Hanover and Scotland report positive results from anti-tethering ordinances, including a decrease in the number of animal cruelty complaints and dog bite incidents. Rather than being an added burden to animal control, these laws have helped animal control officers do their jobs to prevent animal cruelty.

* Special Policy Concerns with Tethering vs. Kenneling: Neglect can happen in any circumstance (in the house, in a kennel, etc.) but the lack of a barrier between the dog and the outside world also creates a danger to the public. Just like an uncovered, unfenced swimming pool, a dog on a chain is both a lure and a clear danger to children in the vicinity. In addition, a dog on a chain cannot defend himself from attack by free-roaming dogs and, if female, is a target for unwanted breeding.

* Alternatives to Tethering: Many alternatives, from fencing to kennels to bringing the dog inside and walking him/her, are available. The 18-month phase in period in the Orange County ordinance amendment means that the public will have ample time to prepare for the law’s implementation, and to take advantage of the community resources that are available to help people lacking in financial resources build fences. The transition to a tethering ban or restriction has gone smoothly in other North Carolina Counties, which report no mass dumping of dogs when the law took effect.

Who Supports Tethering Restrictions or Bans

The U.S. Department of Agriculture, which prohibits tethering as a primary means of confinement under the Animal Welfare Act:

"Our experience in enforcing the Animal Welfare Act has led us to conclude that continuous confinement of dogs by a tether is inhumane. A tether significantly restricts a dog's movement. A tether can also become tangled around or hooked on the dog's shelter structure or other objects, further restricting the dog's movement and potentially causing injury." (July 2,O 1996 Federal Register)

The New Mexico Department of Public Safety:

“Chaining or tethering domestic dogs is a practice which affects public safety and health care costs, which makes it worthy of attention and preventive measures . . .The persistent chaining or tethering of dogs is increasingly being recognized as a form of animal cruelty. . . Humane remedies for New Mexico’s chained or tethered dogs will have direct bearing on public safety.” (January 2008 report)

Dog Behaviorists like Cesar Milan, National Geographic’s Dog Whisperer:

“[Chaining] is a very dangerous and cruel practice – the more tightly a dog is chained, the more pent-up energy he will have; the more pet-up energy, the more aggression. A frustrated dog on a chain becomes a weapon, and is nearly three times more likely to attack or bite a person than a dog that is simply loose in a yard.* Many activists are working to set laws against this practice and I support their efforts.” (Be the Pack Leader, 2007)

Over 60 jurisdictions, including the states of Texas, Connecticut and California, and several towns and counties in North Carolina:

“New Hanover County has had the privilege of [an anti-tethering ordinance]for many years, and our residents enjoy the safety it affords our pets. . . Prior to passing the ordinance, we saw many cases of dogs being left on short leads or ropes for many hours – or permanently – at the household. Many individuals lost their pets due to strangulation, heat stroke, and in some severe cases – the owner’s intentional animal abuse of starvation. We had no means of preventing this abuse until the law was enforceable.. . . Our residents have responded favorably to having a means of preventing animal cruelty in at least one form.” (New Hanover Animal Control Manager Jean McNeil, DVM, 2008)

Who Opposes the Tethering Restriction?

Opposition to this amendment comes primarily from a small group of individuals from the Eno River Coon Hunting Club. At the hearing in fact, at least 9 of the 14 people who spoke against the proposed amendment were from this club. Two others were a husband and wife team of paid lobbyists from Raleigh, representing the NC Sporting Dog Association, whose website states: “The primary purpose of the Association is to protect the right to own, use and breed unaltered animals in sports and for all other purposes.” (Emphasis added.)

One other opponent who spoke at the meeting was Andrea Press an out-of-county pit bull breeder who sells dogs with fighting bloodlines. Ms. Press led the unsuccessful effort to overturn New Hanover County’s tethering ban, and moved from the county after receiving a citation for tethering her pit bulls. [Recall that opposition from the pit bull breeding/dog fighting community has been in the background of this issue since your Board declined to appoint convicted dog fighter Tom Garner to the Tethering Committee, and since Alane Koki, who was appointed to the Tethering Committee as an animal behavior expert, was exposed as a pit bull breeder with dog fighting associations and subsequently resigned.]

By contrast, 16 people at the May 20 meeting spoke in favor of the amendment. These were teachers, lawyers, veterinarians, health care professionals, local business owners and other concerned citizens concerned about the humane treatment of animals

Since the meeting the BOCC has received many emails from out-of-county dog breeders who are opposed to the ordinance, but very few emails opposed from people in Orange County. The vast majority of the email has come from Orange County residents who support the ordinance.

katherine93
June 3rd, 2008, 09:11 AM
thanks for clearing it up for me want4rain, i understand completely, our weather is pretty much cold all year around except for summer, and its not entirly warm here than, adn alot of dogs, like you said have been tied up outside all of their lives trying to live through our harsh winters.. its rediculous.

want4rain
June 3rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
BTW we dont tether Mister. :) but using that as an example.

-ash

katherine93
June 3rd, 2008, 09:17 AM
lo..okay then! I wish i couold help in some way!

ancientgirl
June 3rd, 2008, 09:25 AM
That's a good law. I hope it passes. As with many things I don't understand, tying a dog outside is just another one. Why have a dog if you are going to keep it tied up 24/7 outside?

katherine93
June 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
I do agree with tying a dog, but only to a certain extent. My uncle got a german shepherd and when he gets up for work he brings the dog outside to be tied on. The dog has an amazing dog house , insulated, door to block out the wind, etc. He doesnt like giving dogs the full run of the house, weather hes there or not. So when he gets off work he stays outside for an hour or two with the dog running around in the garden. Than he ties him back up and goes in for supper. Comes out takes the dog for a walk and Comes home ties him back up, than around 8-9:30, the dog gets taken in and put in a crate. I do agree with what hes doing because i know first hand that the dog is loved more than anything in the world and is living a happy, healthy life even being tied up. But in this case he's on a lead, and the lead stretched right across his garden and the rope coming off of the lead is 16 feet long.

If he wasnt keeping the dog inside all night or letting him off and walking him i wouldnt agree with it!

want4rain
June 3rd, 2008, 11:04 AM
but Katherine, look at it this way... what sort of protection does his dog have against aggressive strays? or rabid animals?? my sisters dad had a GSD who was tethered only a few hours a day (when he would go take lunch to my mom at work) when he was attacked by a roaming stray.

i made another post that might have gotten lost up there... check it out??

-ash

Frenchy
June 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
:highfive: That would be a wonderful law !!! I hope it passes , this is tonight right ? Good luck and keep me posted ! :goodvibes:

want4rain
June 3rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
will do!! stopped by my vets office and the SPCA today and reminded them (they needed it!!), i have two other friends who might come out with me. we're pretty excited about it. this will be Cailyns second experience with making our voice heard. the first one was with a friends son. he was 16, had a tour through our police station with his class... over heard one of the officers talking shady stuff to another one. a year later he was running for sheriff... since he couldnt vote, he decided to pull the guys political signs up off the side of the road. not exactly illegal.... but maybe a little unethical. :o he called it 'litter cleaning'. we had several bags of garbage and 48 signs by the end of the evening. apparently the rest of the town felt the same way. the other guy won by 89% heh.

-ashley

edit- we probably wont be able to stay the whole meeting. i will have Cailyn with me. her bed time is 8pm and this thing doesnt start until 7:30. we are hoping to stay until 9ish. hopefully a great deal will happen before then so we can gauge which way this will go.

want4rain
June 3rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
it was painful. im tired and ready to head to bed. they decided to listen to every one speak their opinion but from the beginning decided to 'look things over' then decide at a later date. i wont get into the differing opinions tonight, it was a 'our side' and 'their side' when there was a clear middle ground. we didnt stay long enough to speak but i will be writing in about my opinion. hopefully someone will read it. after today.... i wonder. my pessimism didnt prepareme for the long winded, unproductive blathering. i think a majority of folks think at snails speed... with the need to repeat the last few thigns said until they form the next thought.

-ashley

Frenchy
June 3rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
These things always take a loooooooong time :frustrated:

LavenderRott
June 3rd, 2008, 09:47 PM
but Katherine, look at it this way... what sort of protection does his dog have against aggressive strays? or rabid animals?? my sisters dad had a GSD who was tethered only a few hours a day (when he would go take lunch to my mom at work) when he was attacked by a roaming stray.

i made another post that might have gotten lost up there... check it out??

-ash

Or being stolen, poisoned or attacking a child? The single most common factor in dog attacks is tethering.