Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Basil's an idiot

pitgrrl
June 2nd, 2008, 06:20 AM
Three days ago Basil walked through a bunch of glass, but just kept walking along, totally normally for 3 more blocks. I obviously should have checked his feet right away, but I didn't since he never even slowed his pace, so it was only then that I noticed blood on his foot.

We did a street corner patch up job, pulled a big piece of glass out of his foot which he'd been walking on, and then I cleaned his foot when we got to work.

For almost 3 days I cleaned his foot after going outside, he didn't show any sign of pain what so ever, and I thought it was healing fine. We walked a good 5 miles a day or more, he acted totally fine.

This morning I go to clean his foot and what do I discover? A few more pieces of the glass he walked through embedded deep inside the cut :eek: The freak has been walking on this for days, what is his problem? Why would he not let me know?

I then had to dig around in his foot with tweezers, trying to get all the bits of glass out and sweet (but idiotic) boy that he is he just stood there letting me do it.

I wish they could talk :laughing:

Love4himies
June 2nd, 2008, 06:22 AM
Oh my, not even a limp??? How about licking?? Could it be he couldn't feel the pain?

What a silly goose!

14+kitties
June 2nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
I wouldn't call him an idiot. I think he is very brave putting up with that, poor fellow.
Have you taken him to the vet so they can check to make sure there is no more imbedded glass? That stuff is nasty. It can get deep down and not show up for quite a while.
Good Luck with him. :grouphug: for Basil.

Frenchy
June 2nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
Why would he not let me know?

Because he's a big macho dog ? :laughing: Sam and Bailey are the same , very high pain tolerance.

Poor Basil :sad:

Frenchy
June 2nd, 2008, 06:25 AM
:offtopic: oh and BTW , yes I do have a 27 ft pool. The dogs don,t go in that one , they had their own kiddy pool which they never used :frustrated:

pitgrrl
June 2nd, 2008, 06:27 AM
I know he's not really an idiot, I just wish the dogs weren't so stoic sometimes, it's kind of sad. I'm actually really happy I have dogs that let people handle them so easily, but a little more sense of self preservation would be nice.

pitgrrl
June 2nd, 2008, 06:28 AM
:offtopic: oh and BTW , yes I do have a 27 ft pool. The dogs don,t go in that one , they had their own kiddy pool which they never used :frustrated:

So we're never going to get to see pictures of you swimming along side Sam, Baily and Nelly? :sad:

Frenchy
June 2nd, 2008, 06:33 AM
I have dogs that let people handle them so easily,
note to self : Basil and Streets would be easy to dognap:whistle:
So we're never going to get to see pictures of you swimming along side Sam, Baily and Nelly? :sad:

Nope :D do you guys have a car ? You could come this summer for a swim !

Chris21711
June 2nd, 2008, 06:33 AM
Ooch pitgrrl, just reading about you pulling the glass out of his foot was giving me the willies, such a good dog letting you handle him like that :dog:

pitgrrl
June 2nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
note to self : Basil and Streets would be easy to dognap:whistle:

You could poke them in the eye repeatedly without a problem, but try to take them away from their people and they'd start screaming. Really. :laughing:

Nope :D do you guys have a car ? You could come this summer for a swim !

Alas, no car, that's why we live half a block from our vet.

Frenchy
June 2nd, 2008, 06:44 AM
You could poke them in the eye repeatedly without a problem, but try to take them away from their people and they'd start screaming. Really. :laughing:

yes , right ..... :rolleyes: :laughing:

Alas, no car, that's why we live half a block from our vet.

Oh darn :sad:

ancientgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 07:19 AM
Poor Basil. He probably didn't want to worry you. I hope you managed to get all the glass out.

Maybe he needs some shoes!:D

pitgrrl
June 2nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
Well I am making him wear a booty on that foot until the cut closes up. :evil:

I actually wish I could put them in plastic bubbles so nothing could get to them and then they'd live forever. Is that crazy? :shrug: :laughing:

ancientgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Well I am making him wear a booty on that foot until the cut closes up. :evil:

:laughing:I'm sure he'll love that!

I actually wish I could put them in plastic bubbles so nothing could get to them and then they'd live forever. Is that crazy? :shrug: :laughing:

Not crazy, I wish I could do the same.

hazelrunpack
June 2nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Poor Basil! :eek: Owie!!!!

I hope he's better soon!

And I'm glad he managed to limit the damage to just one foot! :dog:

Longblades
June 3rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
It's a good thing he didn't lick. Then his tongue would be lacerated. That might have made it noticeable sooner though.

want4rain
June 3rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
:yuck: oh gosh Longblades...

hope Basil is feeling better soon! do we get some 'sick Basil' pics?? huh huh?? please??

you guys are a freeking hoot!!

-ash

mastifflover
June 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
These bull breeds have such a high tolerance for pain it is incredible. I am glad Basil is getting better. What a trooper letting you pick at his foot like that.

growler~GateKeeper
June 4th, 2008, 12:41 AM
:goodvibes: for Basil heal quick handsome

Nice that he just stood there & let you do what you needed to :thumbs up my growly boy sure wouldn't have :laughing:

pitgrrl
June 4th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Well, he wouldn't have hurt his tongue because the glass was literally wedged so far in you couldn't really see it from the outside, it was only because I caught a slight reflection of light that I checked it out.

The foot is healing, slowly, but now Basil's gone and licked the shaved area (from an IV when he got his tooth extracted) to the point of red, swollen, weeping nastiness, so be looks like a disaster walking done the street with one leg bandaged up and a boot on the other. :rolleyes:

I swear this dog is a danger to himself.

hope Basil is feeling better soon! do we get some 'sick Basil' pics?? huh huh?? please??

I don't have any 'sick basil' pics because he's still running around like the maniac that he is.
Here's a me and Basil at work picture though:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3275/2516823787_494c8da8f3.jpg

Frenchy
June 4th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Maybe he would be safer at my place :whistle:

pitgrrl
June 4th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Maybe he would be safer at my place :whistle:

Are you sure you want him? He comes with a 49lbs, brindle, intense little side kick. The two of them are trouble I tell you.

I'll put on their backpacks, give them a map and some snacks and send them to you if you want though :shrug:

just writing that almost made me cry. I'm such a total geek.

Frenchy
June 4th, 2008, 11:48 AM
just writing that almost made me cry. I'm such a total geek.

:laughing: I bet you just pictured them with their little "baluchon" :laughing:

baluchon : a bag made of a blankie , at the end of a stick. :D

pitgrrl
June 4th, 2008, 11:54 AM
baluchon : a bag made of a blankie , at the end of a stick. :D

Oh trust me, I know that word well, my father would threaten to send me to my grandmother's in the lac saint jean with one if I didn't do my french homework:laughing:

Frenchy
June 4th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Oh trust me, I know that word well, my father would threaten to send me to my grandmother's in the lac saint jean with one if I didn't do my french homework:laughing:

:laughing: that would be quite a walk :eek:

growler~GateKeeper
June 4th, 2008, 05:25 PM
aww Basil's so cute :cloud9: now we need a pic of his sidekick ;)

I used to use a shoelace to loosely tie on a sock to minimize the licking damage by doggie tongue but Cally would still end up w/a soaked sock :rolleyes:

pitgrrl
June 4th, 2008, 06:46 PM
aww Basil's so cute :cloud9: now we need a pic of his sidekick ;)

Like I can resist that request.....
This is from the same day at work, we were bored :laughing:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/2516823425_aebaa9c650.jpg

Frenchy
June 4th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I didn't even saw the first pic earlier ... :sorry: You look different from what I pictured you (actually , I don't really know how I pictured you :laughing:)

Basil and Streets : yep , still cute ! :p

pitgrrl
June 4th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Well now I'm totally curious, how did you picture me?:D

growler~GateKeeper
June 4th, 2008, 09:16 PM
awww Streets too :cloud9: both so handsome :lovestruck:

:thankyou: for the pic :cloud9:

Frenchy
June 4th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Well now I'm totally curious, how did you picture me?:D

More hard core :laughing:

jiorji
June 4th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Like I can resist that request.....
This is from the same day at work, we were bored :laughing:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/2516823425_aebaa9c650.jpg

heheh HAHAHAH i like that picture. Look at his face. Silent cry for help has never been louder!

"heeeeeeelp meeeeeeeeeeee. send for heeeeeeeeeeeeelp!" :laughing:

pitgrrl
June 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM
More hard core :laughing:

Don't be fooled, I was just wearing my granny sweater that day. :laughing:

....and for the record, I was not torturing Streets, he was freaked out because he thought a thunderstorm was on it's way. I swear I don't strangle the life out of my dogs.

luckypenny
June 5th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I swear I don't strangle the life out of my dogs.

:rolleyes: Pictures speak louder than words :D .

You could poke them in the eye repeatedly without a problem

:eek: And how often do you do that??? :laughing:

I think Basil deserves a stroll down The Main for a yummy meaty treat for being so brave :angel: hint hint.

want4rain
June 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM
seeing him NEXT to you makes him look so LARGE!! youre so pretty. :lovestruck: your dogs are pretty. :lovestruck: and your fella isnt too bad either, if i recall correctly!!

-ashley

pitgrrl
June 5th, 2008, 09:54 AM
:eek: And how often do you do that??? :laughing:

I think Basil deserves a stroll down The Main for a yummy meaty treat for being so brave :angel: hint hint.

Oh, I like to give them a good poke in the eye at least once a week, just so they remember I'm the alpha :laughing:

....and by the way LP, you obviously just don't work enough, because we go by there numerous times a week on our way home from work, the dogs stop and stare in longingly looking for you and your son, and you're not there :sad:;)

seeing him NEXT to you makes him look so LARGE!!

Those pictures make them look huge, but it's just the angle and the fact that I'm shrimpy. Basil's only 55 lbs and he's the big one.

Frenchy
June 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM
stare in longingly looking for you and your son, and you're not there :sad:;)

LP , fax your schedule to pitgrrl :D

hazelrunpack
June 5th, 2008, 08:40 PM
How's Basil's foot today, pitgrrl? Still on the mend? :fingerscr

pitgrrl
June 6th, 2008, 08:02 AM
It's at least staying closed at this point, and I found a better solution to keeping it covered since Basil was really, really hating the one boot :laughing:

Of course we still need to try and heal the area on his other leg that was shaved to put an IV in which he licked into a big, chaffed sore. It's always one thing or another :rolleyes: