Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Buster went to ER on Saturday

BusterBoo
June 2nd, 2008, 03:07 AM
Well, Saturday was supposed to be a quiet day, nothing planned, just some R&R and then in the afternoon Buster started panting and pacing in circles.....I kept checking him and couldn't see anything and then I noticed blood on his neck (under his ear). He didn't want me to touch it and wouldn't calm down, so off to the ER (always happens on a weekend!)

They had to muzzle him to be able to look at the sore and then took him in the back to shave the area and clean it. They aren't too sure what it is......but have called it a hot spot, possibly due to allergies or a bug bite or stress. He had a shot of benadryl and cortisone and I have an antibacterial spray (Topagen) to apply 3 times a day.

Poor little guy just wanted to snuggle up on my lap and sleep, as soon as I put him down, he started pacing in circles again.

It was a little odd going into the hospital and then when I saw the Vet on call, it was the same one who looked after Harley and put him to sleep......The Vet remembered me and we talked about Harley a bit. He wasn't surprised to see me there with Buster, he knows how I am with my dogs! It was the first time Buster had been to see any Vet besides for his regular check ups.

Sunday morning I gave him a benadryl tablet and within 4 hours he was WORSE! he paced non-stop and was extremely stressed. Luckily the ER Vet was excellent and I was on the phone with him several times during the day. This morning he seems a bit better, he only got up twice last night for water.

I have never had a dog with a hot spot......hopefully it will go away soon.

Sure wish the forum was opened on the weekend, I needed to get some feedback from all you knowledgeable people!!! :)

KimandAutumn
June 2nd, 2008, 03:09 AM
awww. Healing vibes for Buster. Hope he's feeling better soon. :grouphug:

Love4himies
June 2nd, 2008, 03:19 AM
Aww poor Buster, sending some :goodvibes: that it clears up soon.

Yes it always happens on the weekend!

ancientgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 03:31 AM
I hope he gets better soon. I have never heard of a "hot spot". Is this something he will get over? Is that always going to be something you need to watch out for?

BusterBoo
June 2nd, 2008, 03:42 AM
I am not sure if it can re-occur or not. Basically it is an area of the skin that gets infected and can get pretty gross very quickly. My daughter's dog (tzu) had to be admitted to hospital as he wouldn't stop scratching and they had to sedate him for a while to clean it and let it heal. Buster's isn't quite that bad but it must be painful as he will not let me touch it. That's why they gave me a spray instead of cream to put on. Much easier!

clm
June 2nd, 2008, 04:03 AM
Our first dog used to get hot spots all the time. Unfortunately they were usually on his legs and he turned into cujo if you even looked anywhere near his feet (following a cortizone shot from a former vet), so it was a challenge. We got a special shampoo to bath the hot spots with from the vet, and some cream to put on them from the vet as well. We had to muzzle him of course every time we gave him a treatment which was at least once a week, usually 2 or 3 times a week in early summer. Only had the problem during the summer months. Never tried gold bond powder with Freddie, they didn't have it then.
Hot spots are not fun, I don't envy you or poor Buster.

Cindy

happycats
June 2nd, 2008, 04:11 AM
Awww poor Buster, I hope he gets better soon!

Frenchy
June 2nd, 2008, 06:43 AM
I am not sure if it can re-occur or not.

Goldens are prone to hot spots but it only happened once here ... Sam , 2 summers ago. It never came back. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
June 2nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
I'm glad Buster seems a little better now. :grouphug: Hot spots are nasty.

So he needs lots of TLC, and all his favorite toys, some gourmet meals, and of course, lots of special lovin' from mom to get over it. :dog: The Pack tells me that nothing less will do. :o

BusterBoo
June 2nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
Yes, lots of spoiling happening! He seemed better this morning, then this afternoon he took a turn.....started shivering and pacing. I HAVE to go to work tomorrow so he will be crated all day (and I will worry all day!) but if he is no better tomorrow night, I will take the rest of the week off and get him back to the Vet. The spot is now crusty, brown looking, not sure if that is normal or not?? He finally just ate some of his food because I mixed some cheese in it....he also ate 2 ice cubes, didn't want water.

I never knew that hot spots were that bad for dogs!!! I will give it 24 hours and then head to the Hospital if there is no improvement. :sick:

want4rain
June 2nd, 2008, 07:08 PM
:grouphug: for Buster. :grouphug: for you too!!

-ash

rainbow
June 2nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Awwww, poor Buster :grouphug: and poor you. :grouphug:

I hope he starts to improve and recover quickly. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

t.pettet
June 2nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
They can be quite painful especially for sensitive little guys, wishing you a quick recovery Buster.

14+kitties
June 2nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
Sending :fingerscr and :goodvibes: for Buster.

Frenchy
June 2nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
They can be quite painful especially for sensitive little guys, wishing you a quick recovery Buster.

My vet told me the same thing , he had to shave Sam leg right on the hot spot (was as big as his leg , green puss stuff and blood) but Sam was ok.

BusterBoo , it's good that it's getting crusty , you don't want it humid with green puss. I was using Topagen too , it works pretty fast , speedy recovery to your little guy :fingerscr

BusterBoo
June 2nd, 2008, 08:46 PM
thanks Frenchy ! I feel so useless...nothing I can do for my little guy and he is getting more skitish as time passes...I am sooo worried about him, I can't lose another dog..... :sad:

Frenchy
June 2nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
ok sit down and breathe , you will not loose him :grouphug:

Bailey does that , shivers , shakes , when he does not feel good. It's like a comfort mechanism for them. I freaked out the first time it happened, but it's usually when he gets an upset tummy.

TRY to relax , the vet visit might have stressed him , and being on meds is not always fun for them , but he will get better in no time.

If you want to make sure he is ok , you could take his temp.

:grouphug:

angeldogs
June 2nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Poor Buster.i do hope he recovers quickly.

BusterBoo
June 3rd, 2008, 06:37 PM
Well, some good news for now......I went to work today and Buster was crated for the day, I figured it might keep him calm (yes, I am the crazy tzu lady who obsesses over the well being of her dog!) I have taken the rest of the week off work incase he needs some extra TLC! :D

so, I came home and he was doing ok....a little sleepy but he did manage to eat, pee, poop and even brought me his Cuz to play with. I got kisses on the nose and now he is sleeping at my feet. His neck is still quite scabby and some fresh blood spots. I should have given him his antibiotic spray as soon as I came home but I know just seeing the bottle makes his nervous, so I will wait until bedtime to give him the meds.

Yes....I am a worry wart when it comes to my Busterboo! :o

ancientgirl
June 3rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
I think we all understand quite well about your worrying. He's your baby.

Frenchy
June 3rd, 2008, 09:10 PM
even brought me his Cuz to play with.

omg omg , hot spot and he wants to play , not a good sign :eek:

:laughing: I'm just http://bestsmileys.com/poking/2.gif :laughing:

I'm glad he's doing better :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
June 3rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
I'm glad Buster did so well today and then wanted to play!! :highfive:

:goodvibes: for super-fast healing! And :grouphug:s for both of you!

Love4himies
June 4th, 2008, 07:16 AM
(yes, I am the crazy tzu lady who obsesses over the well being of her dog!) I have taken the rest of the week off work incase he needs some extra TLC! :D

:o

This is normal behavior for us:D

Glad to hear Buster is feeling better and wanting to play:grouphug: