Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Ethel The Stray

phoozles
May 31st, 2008, 04:29 PM
Sorry Chris, the name stuck ;)

Some of you might remember Ethel - she was the stray I saw outside my door in late April - pregnant enough to be bursting. The next time I saw her she had obviously had the kittens but I didn't know where they were.

Last night Ethel was walking by. She's ridiculously skinny, AND she's got a hard round belly again. :yell: I'm not sure if she is pregnant again or if she has worms - I've never seen a cat with worms before. Anyway, we put out a plate of tuna for her by our house. She ate a bunch, and then picked up a chunk and started to cross the street. I figured she was taking some to her kittens - which was exciting, because we had no idea where they were.

Anyway, it took a couple of tries for her to manage to get the chunk across the street (she's so weak :sad:) and I watched her (without following her) as she walked beside the old cold storage building across the street. Then all of a sudden she had completely disappeared! I couldn't find her, but as I walked back to my house, I saw her come out of part of the siding of the building.

I'm assuming her kittens are in there, but I couldn't hear them. :shrug: We brought the food closer so she wouldn't have to keep making that trek, but she obviously refused to go back in there with us standing there - which makes me feel like she might move them... Right now there is NO way to get at the kittens from the outside - if I hadn't seen her come out through the siding, I would have never believed there was even a hole there. You can't even see it.

I really want to take her to the vet - to either abort this pregnancy or treat her for worms (whichever she has), but I'm afraid of taking her away from her kittens.. I'm not really sure what to do .. :sad:

I'll keep feeding her in the meantime.. poor skinny lil' Ethel.. She could use some of your good vibes..

Here's some pics we took of her a while back when we first saw her after the babies were born - she's so much skinnier now :sad:

phoozles
May 31st, 2008, 04:32 PM
Here's a few more.. You can see how friendly she is..

See if you can see Jake making a cameo appearance through the door :)

Winston
May 31st, 2008, 04:41 PM
Can you leave her a big bowl of food by the siding entrance? maybe she will at least come to eat that? poor girl

Cindy

phoozles
May 31st, 2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I'm heading out to leave her some more food right now - we still have the plate from the tuna by the siding entrance from last night.. I just hope she's still got them in there and she didn't move them because of me.. Although, if she does, hopefully it's in a better spot where we can get to them! :fingerscr

chico2
June 2nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
Awww ,poor little girl,it can just make you cry:cry:I hope she is not preggers again:fingerscr
Could you possibly catch her for a quick vet-visit,just to determine if it is worms or another pregnancy.?
I don't know for sure,but maybe the kittens could be left alone for a little bit,if,hopefully they are in a safe place:pray:
The best scenario of cource would be to find the kittens.
I bet you this worries you to no end,she is such a pretty little girl.
I just hate idiots who let this happen,who don't care:yell:

Love4himies
June 2nd, 2008, 02:20 AM
Sweet Pea's belly was huge too after she gave birth and was nursing. It looked very strange and I thought she may have had worms too, but she didn't.

ancientgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 03:05 AM
What a sweet looking girl. I hope she's not preggers again. I hope she allows you to get her to the vet.

phoozles
June 2nd, 2008, 04:39 AM
Well, the good news is that she came by again (actually, she's figured out that we're her meal ticket - she comes by at least 3 times a day), and her belly was a lot smaller, so I think it might just be because she's still nursing - her teets are still pretty large..

FH said he put his head up against the siding and heard little mews - I tried later and didn't hear anything, but they might have been sleeping..

We're going to keep feeding her and hopefully she'll trust us enough to take the kittens out of there :fingerscr She definitely knows where her food bowl is, right by the opening, and she doesn't seem to mind when we go over there - she just makes sure she doesn't go in until we're a safe distance away..

I've thought about introducing her to my house after all is said and done with the kittens, but I don't know if that's going to be a good idea.. when she comes by and sees Jake in the window, she hisses and growls, and Jake goes nuts - huffing and scraping at the window .. I made the mistake of trying to pull him away and he got my wrist a bit (nothing major, thank cat) and he took it out on Alley a bit too - enough so that fur was flying.. :eek:

So I'm not quite sure what the next step will be..

Love4himies
June 2nd, 2008, 05:02 AM
I would keep feeding her. If you can get her and her kittens in the house, you may be able to socialize them so they can be adopted out. 14+ will definitely have some tips for you.

Sweet Pea ate 5 times a day about 3x the normal cat diet intake. She had 7 kittens she was nursing.

Without your help, she would probably not have enough milk to feed all her kittens and only the strongest would survive. You are an :angel:

phoozles
June 2nd, 2008, 05:10 AM
Thanks L4H - I just can't bear to watch her get so skinny and just sit back and let it happen.. She definitely wants to eat constantly - I'll make sure to feed her every time I see her come by.. She kind of looks like she's filling in since Saturday - that could, of course, be wishful thinking..

She's been dining on Orijen, because I had a bag for my guys when we go away for the weekend.. She ate some yesterday then ran back over to us for some lovin'.. we hung out for a bit, and then she went in the space between the house and the building next door.. I thought maybe she was scoping out a place to put her kittens - but FH investigated and it turns out she was just taking a poop - and boy did it stink! :yuck: :laughing: .. I thought - that's that Orijen kickin' in! :laughing:

Chris21711
June 2nd, 2008, 05:22 AM
She looks so cute Phoozles and Ethel suits her. I hope you manage to find the kittens :fingerscr

phoozles
June 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks Chris - I agree - and I think we're making progress :thumbs up

chico2
June 2nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Phoozles,I forgot to say,I think you are doing a wonderful thing,without you feeding her,she would be in big trouble as would the kittens,so thank you:cat:

phoozles
June 2nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Aww, thanks Chico2 - I don't know how people can let all these cats roam free in my neighbourhood.. We live near a bunch of farms, but I don't know why - if they are 'barn cats' - they should be allowed to run around and constantly procreate.. poor little things - I look at Ethel and my heart just breaks.. I only hope that all of her kittens (however many there are) have made it - before this weekend, it had been quite a while since we'd seen her..

lizziem1963
June 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
what a nice thing you are doing. she is lucky to have you, i think you are literally saving their lives. she is beautiful, and you can see how friendly she is.

when some neighbours moved out, they just abandoned their 2 cats outside and left. one was pretty friendly and found a home down the block. the other was just terrified. i would put food out for her every evening, and she would eat it. it took weeks and weeks for her to trust me. after a while i started ltaying close by when she came to eat, then closer and closer. i finially nabbed her and her new family said she was the friendliest cat they had ever encountered, but she ran and hid everytime i tried to see her, lol.

anyway, the point of that story is: keep at it, she already trusts you, so if you stay near her 'nest' area and watch to see when the babies start coming out, since she trusts you she may not teach them to fear you and you can nab them. hopefully.

kashtin's kin
June 2nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Phoozles, thanks for the 'Ethel update'. It's always stressful wondering if/where kittens may be. Thanks for caring and being a cat :angel:; that cute Ethel is a lucky gal.

I know there are lots of semi-feral and stray cats in the city too :sad: , but out here in the country it seems we have a steady stream of skinny, homeless cats to try to help...

I've found the trick is not to 'fret' so much over the ones you may not be able to help (despite all efforts), but to concentrate on the ones you can make a difference to. Every little bit helps! :thumbs up

krdahmer
June 2nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Aw... beautiful little Ethel :lovestruck:(and you) have all the :goodvibes: & :pray: me and the kitties can muster! I hope she trusts you, you nab those kittens and her! :fingerscr :pawprint:

14+kitties
June 2nd, 2008, 09:43 PM
I was wondering what had happened to Ethel. :) Thanks for the update!
I agree with Kashtin's Kin. You can only help those you are able to. It drives you crazy to think about all the ones left behind.

Can you sort of pinpoint around the time Ethel would have had her babies? That will give you an idea of how old they are. She should start bringing them out soon. Around here the moms start taking them hunting with them when they are around 5 weeks. I wouldn't push trying to find them before then. She may panic and move them even though she trusts you. Just instinct.

She will most def need more food than she would usually eat. The belly is probably from that. Once you manage to get her and the babies then you can get her to a vet. Or just take in a sample now. You said you had a fresh one the other day. :rolleyes: Wait till you get another one. At my vets it's $17.00 to get it checked.

If you do decide to try to bring the family in a spare room is the best solution. If that isn't possible I personally think dog crates are ideal. The large ones are roomy enough for the whole family and a litter box. You could let them out to eat and play with supervision and then put them back in for safety when you can't be there. Just be aware that some crates the spaces are big enough for kittens to crawl through. I used cardboard around one of mine until the kittens were too big to go through.

You are an :angel: for caring so much about this little girl!! Keep up the great work!

phoozles
June 3rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks guys - I don't even have to wonder when Ethel is around - I just have to see Jake go nuts at the window and then I go get her food :laughing:
(although this morning I could have sworn he was huffing at her - but it was the other one that comes around - who is now known as "Squishy" - FH had to get his way :rolleyes:)

14+ I would assume she had her kittens between April 19-25.. I know exactly when I saw her pregnant because it was my birthday :D .. I believe it was the week after that we saw her again with her hangy belly. So I figure these babies are about 4-5 weeks old (I'm terrible with math) . I guess that means she'll be taking them out soon? :fingerscr

I'm not too worried about rounding her up - she's super friendly - the other day we were running late for dinner and Ethel came by, so I actually picked her up and took her to her bowl, and she wriggled a tiny bit, but didn't lash out at me at all.

I've got a spare room that would be perfect for her and the kittens - Jake will be a little upset because he likes to look out the window in there, but he's got lots of other windows to look out.

Right now I'm feeding her dry food (it's not premium - I really can't afford it right now, but at least it's something, right?) but I'm wondering if it would be better (aside from the obvious reasons) to give her some wet too.. When we fed her the tuna, you could tell she was bringing it in to the kittens, so she's trying to wean them - can she do that with dry food?

I'm pretty sure she doesn't have worms, nor is she pregnant again - her belly hasn't been big since I saw her on the weekend.. Maybe it was just gas :o

chico2
June 3rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
Phoozles,:pray:you'll be able to get Ethel and the kittens at one point,thank dog its not winter..
We have so many great people here,who help these poor abandonned little kitties and you are certainly one of them.
That's what keep me on this Forum,knowing there are people who care about animals as much as I do,although I have never rescued an animal.
Ethel come one,show us where the kittens are:pray:

kashtin's kin
June 4th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Not to take ANYthing away from the wonderful 'rescuers' on this BB, but chico2, do not underestimate your powers! "They also HELP, who encourage and support!!" :angel: Without chico2 zooming here and there with her kind words and Rah! Rah! spirit, we'd all be a bit?! more stressed. Go, chico2!! :thumbs up

Love4himies
June 4th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Not to take ANYthing away from the wonderful 'rescuers' on this BB, but chico2, do not underestimate your powers! "They also HELP, who encourage and support!!" :angel: Without chico2 zooming here and there with her kind words and Rah! Rah! spirit, we'd all be a bit?! more stressed. Go, chico2!! :thumbs up

I agree!!!!!!!!:thumbs up

Plus, chico, you sort of rescue Bailey and take her for walks.;)

chico2
June 4th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Awwww,you girls are getting me all mushy:)
You know,when I read how so many of you care and go all out to save these little lives from misery,I get overwhelmed with gratitude.
I meet sooo many people who do not give a:censored::yell:
How often have I heard"Oh,she's an animal-lover!!"
I have grown to hate that description,as if it was a 4-letter word,shouldn't we all care about all living things period:confused:BOY am I ever all mushed up:laughing:
Sorry for for going :offtopic:Phoozles

Chris21711
June 4th, 2008, 08:27 AM
It's true Chico, you always have something nice and comforting to say :)

14+kitties
June 4th, 2008, 08:32 AM

I totally agree!!!!! There have been many times I have come on here looking for a kind word. You ALWAYS give one, or two, or many more!!! I can't tell you how much I have appreciated it. In fact, I have never heard a negative word out of you when speaking to another member. (I won't mention the comp problems you are having. They don't count!)
So Chico - KEEP UP THE GOOD WORDS!! YOU ARE AN ANGEL IN MY EYES! THE VERY BEST!

Sorry Phoozles :offtopic:

ancientgirl
June 4th, 2008, 08:39 AM
It's a difficult thing helping animals. Many people just don't understand why one does it. Many of us who try to help, always get lectures and we are told why are we wasting our time and money. It's here that we come to get words of encouragement, words we don't get from our friends and family many times.

Chico, even if you believe you don't perform the action of the rescue, you provide the words of encouragement and sometimes that makes the difference to the person trying to help.

phoozles
June 4th, 2008, 10:05 AM
LOL - No worries - I wholeheartedly agree!
Chico2 you're a wonderful cheerleader! :cloud9:
I know that if a situation came up similar to what we've been facing, you'd do the exact same thing! Plus it helps to be encouraged, especially when, as ancientgirl said, people look at you like you're a kook because you don't want to see an animal die in the street if you can help it.. You're an :angel: too!

Not much to update on Ethel today - it was pouring rain last night so I didn't see her. I didn't get a chance to fill up her bowl this morning, but FH is home sick :sick: so hopefully he'll be mobile in a bit and give her a little something before I get home.

hazelrunpack
June 4th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Ethel looks so young in those pics, phoozles! :eek: Hardly more than a kitten herself!

Good luck with Ethel and her family. You're their guardian :angel:, you know.

phoozles
June 4th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Ethel looks so young in those pics, phoozles! :eek: Hardly more than a kitten herself!

Good luck with Ethel and her family. You're their guardian :angel:, you know.

I know Hazel - that's what makes me so sad - when I first saw her, I figured she couldn't be much older than Alley, who's about 10 months now.. I say Ethel can't be much older than a year.. poor thing..

chico2
June 4th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Phoozles,looking at my 3 right now,laying around like satisfied seals all in a row,it's so difficult to imagine Ethel out there with her kittens.
It's been a cold miserable day here today,lets hope she and her kittens are safe and dry:pray:
She really looks young and tiny..

phoozles
June 4th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I know - I was pretty worried about Ethel last night in the rain but there really wasn't anything I could do :shrug:
The weather hasn't been too bad today - pretty warm, even though it's overcast, but we are supposed to get more thunderstorms tonight.. I'm going to feed her again when I get home from work and hopefully she and the brood will hang tight in the siding of that building.. :fingerscr

I wish I could put the food right in that hole, but it's impossible.. I should be careful fattening her up - she won't be able to fit in there! :eek:

growler~GateKeeper
June 4th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Do the people that own the building know they are there? and won't try to repair the hole? :goodvibes:

Mama will keep her babies safe from the T storms :angel:

phoozles
June 4th, 2008, 05:25 PM
The building is weird.. they say it's 'cold storage building' .. It's always locked.. People see me go over with the food and feed her, but they haven't said anything to me yet.. Nor have they moved her bowl. There are stray cats all over my street, and no one seems to care :sad:
I hesitated feeding them at first because I didn't know if they were just other people's house cats, but now I know that Ethel definitely doesn't have a home. Squishy isn't dirty like she is and is a little plump, so he might have one, but he doesn't have a collar. :shrug:

Here's a sad story - the woman who lives kitty corner to us (no pun intended :cat:) is a friend of FH's parents. She came by the other day and said one night in the winter they heard this terrible screeching outside. They figured it was just some of the stray cats 'gettin' it on' so ignored it. The next morning they found a kitty frozen half in/half out of their pool! :yell: :sad: That's what the noise was - the poor thing drowning.. :rip:

phoozles
June 4th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Oh, and back to the hole - you can't actually SEE it.. If you walk by the building - even if you stand right beside it, you'd never know it was there.. If I didn't see her come out from there, I'd never have known it existed.. So Ethel and the kids should be safe! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
June 4th, 2008, 05:29 PM
That's good :thumbs up

:fingerscr Ethel moves these babies out soon & at a time when you can scoop them & her up :goodvibes:

:sad: :cry2: :rip: sweet little :angel2::cat:

14+kitties
June 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM
14+ I would assume she had her kittens between April 19-25.. I know exactly when I saw her pregnant because it was my birthday :D .. I believe it was the week after that we saw her again with her hangy belly. So I figure these babies are about 4-5 weeks old (I'm terrible with math) . I guess that means she'll be taking them out soon? :fingerscr

I am far from being an expert but I would think any time now. It will probably be early morning or evening from what I have seen. :shrug: Is it possible for one of you to sneak over to take a peak in while Ethel is eating and the other distracting her? Then you would know what you are dealing with as far as numbers. I would think she has access into the building through that hole or that there is a bigger spot back there than you think. Kitties like tight spaces but she needs enough room to lie down to nurse too. It is amazing how resourceful they are. Good luck! :angel:

phoozles
June 5th, 2008, 10:12 AM
The way the hole works is there is siding on the side of the building that stops near the bottom. So it kind of sticks out, and then there is a separate base. Does that make any sense? :laughing: I should take a picture of it. I'm assuming she has space to lie down in there, but because of the way the siding meets the bottom part, it looks like they are connected, but maybe they are not.. Yeah, I can't describe it very well :D

It's not really set up so that I can look at it/in the space.. I wish I knew what and how many I was dealing with - she could have even moved them from there since the weekend, I have no idea.. But she definitely lets me know when she is hungry, and I've found that I have to walk across the street with her over to the hole to feed her (that's where the bowl I have for her is).. She'll eat a little bit, then come back to my house. So I have to walk her back there and watch her eat for a bit, and then I can go back home.. It's quite a process. Not quite sure why she does this.. :confused:

14+kitties
June 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM
She wants your company! :cloud9:

Hopefully soon when she comes to visit she will have a litter behind her. :fingerscr

Love4himies
June 5th, 2008, 12:15 PM
She'll eat a little bit, then come back to my house. So I have to walk her back there and watch her eat for a bit, and then I can go back home.. It's quite a process. Not quite sure why she does this.. :confused:

I agree with 14+, she wants human companionship. I wonder if you got a large box with food in it and put it near you house, if she would move her kittens into it.

phoozles
June 5th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Maybe! Hmm.. I wonder what I could make up .. what kind of box? I have a box that the case of Wellness came in, but it doesn't have any sides.. I think FH recently went on a cardboard run to the dump, so we might not have any boxes lying around.. I'll have to take a look..

phoozles
June 5th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I've also gotten worried about her because the building is directly across the street. It's not a super busy street (we do live in the country, after all), but there's usually someone coming or going, and people don't like to respect the stop sign right in front of my house.. :frustrated:

Hopefully if she does bring them over, she'll carry them and not have them walk - she seems to be pretty street savvy.. :fingerscr

Love4himies
June 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Maybe! Hmm.. I wonder what I could make up .. what kind of box? I have a box that the case of Wellness came in, but it doesn't have any sides.. I think FH recently went on a cardboard run to the dump, so we might not have any boxes lying around.. I'll have to take a look..

I would have to be quite a large box, like a toilet paper box with a lid and a cubby hole for a door. If you hubby has a hammer and saw a quick particle board box, doesn't have to be fancy, wood wouldn't ruin in the rain like cardboard would.

NoahGrey
June 5th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I agree with love4hemies.

I seems that she is trusting you more and more and is liking the interaction. I doubt if she decided to move her babies, it won't be far. You are her food source, she will move closer.

I would put out shelter for her on your porch. Next time when she is around I would have the shelter out and try placing the food inside the shelter or right outside of door. SHe will probably end up sniffing it out and since she takes food from you already, placing the food near her shelter, she will probably know that is would be a safe place. Does that make sense?

ACO22

phoozles
June 5th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I wonder if this would work...

We have a low wooden 'cabinet' .. It's smaller than an endtable and it has a door to it. It's pretty big too. I could put some old towels in there and her food and sit it outside my door with its door slightly ajar.. ?

This was the cabinet we put out the first night we saw her, hoping she'd have her kittens in there. We fed her in there and she had no problem going in, but, obviously, she had them elsewhere.

FH (stands for Future Hubby, btw., in case you thought I was eternally mad at him :laughing:) will be a little put out if I use it - it's the table he puts his tools on. You know, the tools he doesn't use. :D

ancientgirl
June 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM
A cabinet sounds like a good idea. It's sturdy and will at least make her feel safe and cozy!:D

14+kitties
June 5th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Just make sure FH is happy with you doing that. If not it's pretty cheap to go to Home Depot or somewhere and get pressboard. A huge sheet is under 20 bucks I think. A few cuts, a few screws and Bob's your uncle. You could make a nifty little house for Ethel and the gang and it could be permanent and FH stays FH and not LH (losta hubby) over his tool table.
FYI - the dollar store sells neat little "emergency blankets" that if you put them up with the shiny side out on the walls will act as an insulator for her body heat. The little spot will stay toasty warm on our cold nights.

phoozles
June 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM
When I got home from work I dragged the cabinet outside (FH won't really mind - it was his idea the first time!) and went to go back to the hole to get her dish to put in there..

When I did...

I saw the kittens! :stork-baby: :highfive:

There are at least 3 - two tabbies and a pure black one, that definitely seems like the adventurous one! :lovestruck:

As I turned the corner, I saw Ethel lying down with her babies climbing all over her. As I got closer they hid back in the hole (and through another one), but Ethel had no problem with me getting close.

She followed me back home where I filled up her dish and put it in the cabinet. She ate some from in the cabinet, and then I stepped in to find a water dish. During that time she had left, so I went to bring her some water to the hole (it's HOT today), and there were the kittens, out again :cloud9:

Ethel came up chattering away and purring, which caused some of them to pop out of the hole to check things out, but when they saw me they headed back in - the little black one hesitating the longest to go back inside. SO CUTE!!

:fingerscr that she'll move them to my neck of the woods!

onster
June 5th, 2008, 06:57 PM
woohooooo!!!!!!

That's great news!!!

I hope she brings them back to ure place now :fingerscr:fingerscr

ancientgirl
June 5th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Good luck! I hope you find them all there in the cabinet when you wake up tomorrow morning!:fingerscr

14+kitties
June 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM
That is MARVELOUS news!!!!!! :thumbs up Let's hope that she has moved them in the morning. Don't expect miracles. Just let her take her time. The cabinet is new to her and she will have to check it out to make sure it is safe for her babies. If they are there in the morning it speaks volumes to how much she trusts you!
Now I have a question for you. Are you sure you aren't MY neighbour? :laughing::laughing::laughing: The last of the kittens that are outside in our garage are 2 tabbies and a black/white one!!!
Keep up the good work kitty :angel:!!

phoozles
June 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Now I have a question for you. Are you sure you aren't MY neighbour? :laughing::laughing::laughing: The last of the kittens that are outside in our garage are 2 tabbies and a black/white one!!!
Keep up the good work kitty :angel:!!

That would be hilarious - You're trying to save them and I keep trying to lure them away! :laughing:

Nah, looks like the black one is pure black.. so your kittens are safe.. for now :evil:

I'm not going to rush anything - I was just so excited to actually see them and know for a fact that they actually exist!

It's supposed to rain tonight, so I don't know if she'll bring them by overnight, but she did have them out and playing closer to the street - so she might be thinking about bringing them by.. They're pretty skittish, and I really don't know how she's going to get them across the street.. that will be the interesting thing..

Anyway, FH isn't home, so I had to share it with someone! Thanks for being here, guys! :grouphug:

14+kitties
June 5th, 2008, 09:38 PM
That would be hilarious - You're trying to save them and I keep trying to lure them away! :laughing:

Nah, looks like the black one is pure black.. so your kittens are safe.. for now :evil:

That would be hilarious! I know it can't be. We don't have any close neighbours except for the tenant living in the cottage. He isn't coming down to steal kitties. He just had his knee operated on. (and if you were engaged to him I would kick your butt)
The darker one that is outside here is almost all black with the same markings as Chip and Dale. I think I know what daddy is responsible for them! And he won't be making more. :D
My kitties are always safe. If anyone threatens them I turn :evil:!!

:laughing::laughing:

kimnmark
June 6th, 2008, 05:58 AM
That's awesome news. I'll be looking forward to another update today. Hopefully they'll all be safe & snug in your cabinet.

Love4himies
June 6th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I am so excited for you! I am keeping my :fingerscr that momma will bring them across the street to their new home!

phoozles
June 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Well, no kittens in the cabinet this morning - but honestly I would have been really surprised if there were - the cabinet is 'new' and getting those babies across the street will be a daunting task for Ethel.

It's so HOT today (33C/92F right now - 40 with the humidex) - I feel bad for all of them! I saw Ethel this morning - she wasn't yowling for food, but I think that's because I have the bowl in the cabinet. There were a lot of people around the building this morning (one guy painting it), so I doubt she had the babies out - I didn't check cuz I don't want to be crazy meddlin' lady :laughing: - but I saw her take a break under a car for the shade. Which of course freaks me out because I don't want her or her kittens to get hit by a car.. Can't do much about it, so I'm trying not to think about it..

Can't wait to get home from work and check on them!

FH had a bad night at work last night, but when I told him about the kittens he lit up and made sure I told him everything I could about them :lovestruck:

phoozles
June 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM
So I went over to see Ethel today back at the hole, and her kittens went into hiding. So I sat down right next to where they were and pet Ethel.. She gave them the go ahead and slowly but surely they came around :lovestruck:

I felt like that chick from Gorillas in the Mist - no sudden movements, but after awhile I could pet them with no problems!

and YES I took pictures :laughing: You can check them out here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53023

Here's a taste for those that can't handle all the pics.. All three of the kittens - one is black with white hairs, and two tabbies, one with blue eyes and one with brown. :cloud9:

Jim Hall
June 6th, 2008, 07:45 PM
excellent ethel lets you handdle them ? no problem? has ethel checked out the enclousure you made?

phoozles
June 6th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I think Ethel actually called them out to me - because every time they ran back to hide, she would make a noise, and they would come back..

She's seen and been in the cabinet, but I don't know if she'll move them - mostly because they'll have to cross the street.. lots of variables in that.. I think she'd let me move them, but I don't want to rush it and ruin everything..