Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The situation with Czarina

ancientgirl
May 31st, 2008, 02:51 PM
It's becoming near impossible to keep her outside safely. That :censored: old lady yet again is trying to cause trouble with her. She got into a huge argument with Miguel on Thursday and threw away her food right in front of him yelling at the top of her lungs. She's crazy. She's an alcoholic and a drug addict, and I'm fearful of what she might do to Czarina. Miguel has to feed her inside his office now.

I think I can block the kitchen opening with the bamboo screen and I'll just have to figure out how to block the pass through. The kitchen is the only place I can maybe keep her as I try to reintroduce them. They can see each other through all the openings so hopefully that might help.

Now this part some of you might not agree with, but I talked to their vet this morning and she agreed, it might be less stressful to her if we put her on some medication.

The last time I had her here, she was very anxious and aggressive towards the others, and I do not want another Kiska situation. She also peed all over the place. The vet said the prozac will help to keep her from being too stressed. She spoke to one of her colleagues who has used it in the past with other cats and she's had much success with it. Czarina has been an outdoor cat for several years and a loner cat as well. I don't expect her to fall in love with any of the others, but I have to at least know that it will get to the point where I can trust to leave her alone with the others and have no fights.

The medication comes different ways. A pill or liquid form will be impossible for me to get in her. She trusts me to a degree. If I have a topical I can easily put it on the inside of her ear when she's sitting on my lap and I'm petting her so that's what I'll get. It's not going to start even working on her for at least 3 weeks, and we'll have to keep her on it at least 6 months before we can begin weening her off. I don't want to have her on this forever, but I think in her case this is the only way I can do this. I don't want to keep her in the kitchen for 6 months either. I'm hoping once it begins to work its way into her system she'll have gotten used to being inside and used to the others being around. Then I can slowly begin to let her out of the kitchen for short periods.

She's got an appointment with the vet next week, just to get a quick check-up and a bath. I'll have them put Vlad's harness on her. That way when I begin taking her out of the kitchen, I can put her on the leash so she doesn't get away from me and I have to chase her around the house to get her back in the kitchen.

This week I need to get the kitchen in some kind of order so she'll be comfortable in there. I have to put litter in there, which I got the Cat Attract, and hope she takes to it. She'll have a bed and I'll keep her carrier in there too.

I've got to make this work this time. I just don't trust her safety out there anymore. She's the only one who hangs out near the office and that nasty old hags apartment is close to the office. She can easily see Miguels office from her bedroom window, and I don't doubt she spends her day watching.

Lukka'sma
May 31st, 2008, 03:11 PM
Why not get her a home with no other cats living there. Seems it would be much less stressful for everyone involved to do that.

ancientgirl
May 31st, 2008, 03:15 PM
I tried that the first time around. I asked my friends, one has dogs and the other doesn't want pets. I asked at my vets office, but they have a hard enough time finding homes for the kittens that get left there. Calling pet finder and the cat network doesn't help either. When I had her here the first time, I called several places to try and find a foster home for her and they weren't any help. There were just too many cats in need of homes.

Miguel took home another stray that was around outside so taking her to Miguel's isn't an option. And besides, he took her home once and she got out of his yard.

Winston
May 31st, 2008, 03:51 PM
Ancientgirl! I am happy for what you are trying to do for this poor girl....but I have to say you need to be prepared for this long term...you have to wait along time I think before even trying to introduce her...so I guess what I mean is that you have to be tough and not feel bad for her and feel the need to get them all together...let it happen whenever it happens and this way you have no stress...I have no doubt that it can work eventually but that could be 6 months or longer before things change..and dont forget what if Czarina never really gets along with yours? having said that if you could at least get her used to being an indoor kitty maybe someone will come along for her in that time? You are an angel for trying to protect this beautiful girl....but patience okay! you can do it! :thumbs up

Cindy

ancientgirl
May 31st, 2008, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I have a feeling this is really going to be difficult. I have to make the kitchen a place for her to feel safe. It's the only place I think I can keep her from the others.

Even if they don't all love each other, it would be nice if she could at least tolerate the others. My gang were open to having her here the last time, but whenever they would approach her, she'd strike out. Of course, she's the outsider. They all know each other and she was the new one. So naturally she felt out numbered. And like you said, if I can't eventually keep her, if I can just get her used to being inside then maybe I can find her a home where it's just her.

Ideally, I'm trying to save money to maybe find a small house to rent. Something that has a yard and maybe I can put up a cat fence or make an enclosure for her.

Right now, I just need to get her out of danger.

Winston
May 31st, 2008, 04:45 PM
Im wondering if you could fix up something yourself? you know with some wood and maybe some screening like you would use on the windows? is there a window in the kitchen?

Winston
May 31st, 2008, 04:47 PM
Ancientgirl it would be so cool to have one of these cat enclosures! they have them for homes and also apartments...

http://www.thecatsden.net/apartments.html

Cindy

ancientgirl
May 31st, 2008, 05:04 PM
Unfortunately, I have zero balcony space. I've got a huge sliding glass door and balcony railings, but my actual balcony is less than 6 inches wide. :frustrated: If I had one it would be ideal.

My kitchen is right beside the front door, as you walk in. I think I can put some screening on the pass through so that will keep the others from getting in and her from getting out. I'm hoping the bamboo screen will also keep her from getting out as well. I hate that I don't have a door in my room. It would make keeping her at least in there easier.

chico2
May 31st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Awww Ancient,you really have a soft spot for that little girl,I suppose you already tried talking to that mean woman?How can she hate a little kitty:confused:
I cannot say,if it's going to work out with Czarina and your 4-some.
It will probably take a long time for her to realize your kitties will not hurt her.
However,with lots of patience and love,who knows,it would be wonderful if she would settle down in your safe place:pray:
Cats don't always love each other,like my Chico and Vinnie,but Chico will now accept Vinnie,as long as he is not bothering him.
Good Luck with the little girl:fingerscr

ancientgirl
May 31st, 2008, 05:19 PM
Chico, I can't explain it, but I just feel this need to protect her. And there is no talking to that woman. She's just a miserable human being. The only animal she likes is her dog. If she would keep her dog on a leash then he'd stop trying to eat Czarina's food, which this ignorant woman insists will kill her dog.

I know they will probably never be totally loving with each other, but if I can get her to a point where she can just be around the others and not hiss and swat whenever they just walk past her.

Love4himies
June 2nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
I don't think anybody will disagree with what you plan to do with Czarina, you are doing what is best for her and medicating her will make it easier on her.

Are there any no kill shelters/rescues that may take her in and socialize her for you?

ancientgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 04:17 AM
L4H, the last time I tried to find her a home I was turned down by 2 of the places that actually contacted me in return. One place told me they had several torties with major attitude problems that were strays too and they had no room for more.

And I realized I'm not going to go through the trouble of socializing her and buying her medication just to put her in someone else's home. For all intents and purposes she's mine. What's one more cat right? :laughing:

The medication is going to help to keep her anxiety level down and to make her not feel the need to be so aggressive. I think once the medication starts to kick in, at least it will be possible for her to allow the others to be near her and it will be, hopefully, a little easier to introduce them all again. The last time around she was really aggressive towards the others. Understandably so, she's lived on her own outside and doesn't trust other cats or people. I think if she feels less need to protect herself and a little more calm, she'll be more inclined to accept being indoors. Then, little by little, we'll decrease her dosage until she no longer needs it.

I'm going to start saving money like a mad woman. My goal is to find a small house or townhouse, something with a yard or at the very least a screened in patio. Something where I can allow all of them to be outside now and then and not feel worried about them getting away.

onster
June 2nd, 2008, 04:30 AM
Ancientgirl, it is wonderful what you are doing, however....

I don't want to be a downer :sad: but have u thought of this in terms of ure asthma and allergies? 5 cats is a lot in a small space and you just recently made a thread about ure asthma and it sounds like its not controlled properly yet. You are just on a new drug and you still cough up stuff a lot and ure supposed to take antibiotics for whats in your chest. Also, I do recall you had a hard time with you allergies/asthma when you added czarina to the mix the first time.

Again, I commend what you are trying to do, but you need to think of your health too from an objective stand point.

ancientgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 05:40 AM
Onster, I've thought about it and it's certainly on my mind. One of the good things about having her confined in the kitchen area is it's easier to keep clean. All tile in there and no A/C ducts. I haven't started taking the antibiotics yet, that I'll do next week so hopefully while I'm taking those it will help with the transition of having her there.

She'll be freshly bathed so that might help a little. I'm sure having her there will be yet another transitional time with the allergies and asthma.

I'm at a loss though as to what to do. I can't leave her outside because I really do fear for her life because of that woman. I can't find any rescue or shelter that will take her the way she is and I don't know anyone personally who is willing to take her on. Anybody I did know would probably just keep her outside, and that would do no good as she would try to get away from their yard.

I really wish there was someone I trusted to give her to or someone or some organization willing to help, but I just can't find any.

onster
June 2nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
Oh I know it sucks :sad: with no one being able to help. *sigh*

I hope all goes well for you and I'm glad u thought about it (i was sure u already did!), hopefully having her in the kitchen like u mentioned will help. Maybe try asking your doctor if there is something u can do in the transition process (maybe up the meds?)?

God that stupid woman who's causing all this...what a retard :wall:

ancientgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
Oh I know it sucks :sad: with no one being able to help. *sigh*

I hope all goes well for you and I'm glad u thought about it (i was sure u already did!), hopefully having her in the kitchen like u mentioned will help. Maybe try asking your doctor if there is something u can do in the transition process (maybe up the meds?)?

God that stupid woman who's causing all this...what a retard :wall:

Yeah, Miguel won't take her because she got away from him the one time, and he's afraid she'll get away again. And now he's taken home another kitty from the complex so she won't get along being outside.

I don't dare tell my doctor I'm going to have yet another cat in my apartment:laughing: In fact, I'm not telling anyone else about it. When my dad comes over I'll have to tell him I'm watching her or something. I don't know, I'll have to think of something.

If that woman wasn't such a :censored: Czarina would be perfectly fine outside. She's got all of her little hangouts and she gets food and water fresh daily. But the situation is so that I can't leave her out there. Not when that crazy b$@&h can harm her.

Jim Hall
June 2nd, 2008, 09:00 AM
sounds like its the loonie who needs the meds

Love4himies
June 2nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
sounds like its the loonie who needs the meds

I think she is on self prescribed meds:laughing:

ancientgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 09:41 AM
Yeah, of the non-regulated kind.

14+kitties
June 2nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
ancient - You have a tough road ahead of you. It isn't always easy to intregrate new kitties. I have been extremely fortunate with my bunch but it takes time and patience.
Have you ever considered a dog crate as a temporary solution? It isn't any worse than if she was in a shelter. In fact the large crates are much better. You can set up a litter box, a bed, make it really homey for her. It is a great solution for when you are at work. The kitties can see each other but can't get to each other. :shrug: I tell you, it's been a life saver for me. It was perfect for when the kittens were babies and keeping them away from danger.

ancientgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 03:22 PM
You know, I hadn't thought of that. It would be a good solution and I could certainly leave her in there during the day. I could put her in an area where she can get some sun and she wouldn't be in the dark kitchen and semi dark hallway all day. And when I came home, I could put her in the kitchen for the evening and over night.

I know the big cages are really expensive though. I think I'll have a look online and get an idea how much one will cost me. I don't know anyone that can lend me one.

I know, it's going to be a long road, that's one of the reasons I'm hoping the medication will help keep her stress free. I don't want to have her anxious for months. I know lots of people don't agree with medication, but if i had more room, and maybe a yard where I could set up some kind of a pen for her it wouldn't be necessary. But I have to keep her inside, in close quarters with 4 cats that are already used to each other and who see her as an outsider.

I know a lot of her aggressiveness is due to her being frightened. My doctor said the medication will keep her calm enough to not be afraid. I don't want to traumatize her more than she will already be.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really hadn't thought about a big crate.

Jim Hall
June 2nd, 2008, 03:38 PM
yummm meds well why not if it keeps her calm and you can always wean her off them can you fiind a rescue to maybe pick up some of the costs and maybe they have a crate for her ?

ancientgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Yes, I'm going to ween her off of meds eventually. I've been looking online and the crates are a bit expensive. I think for now I'm going to try just getting the gates to block off access from the kitchen and the hallway.

I'm supposed to get my "stimulus" check this month, so maybe I'll use some of that money to get a crate so I can at least keep her in there during the day and let her and the gang get used to each other without anyone getting hurt.

krdahmer
June 2nd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Man I really wish I lived closer, I have one of those kitty condo cages that would be perfect.... I actually bought it used from a pet store that stopped selling kittens! (Paid 100 instead of the 2-300 they are new, you should call around-they fold down and can be stored under a bed). I had it for Fagan when he had to recover from his knee injury, now it's just under my stairs awaiting the next injury.

I have to say I am glad you are giving it another go.... I know how hard it is to just leave things be once you care about an animal... and that lady does sound dangerous, and unfortunately not criminally so, or else the solution would be easier (have her locked up!:frustrated:). I have a cat CeCe that spends most of his day in my yard and patio.... and always comes running to see me, I know where he lives and have talked to the owner but they seem to not care at all where he is! Last night driving home I saw a decapitated cat on the road with similar markings and I was almost sick to my stomach fearing the worst. I went back with my hubby to check and it wasn't him TG:pray: and he was on my porch waiting for me when I got home but I still cried all the way home for whoever that poor little soul was. :sad: It is just so so scary and dangerous out there, I can't imagine letting any animal or child roam around unsupervised.

Fagan took the kitty prozac for a little over a year when he had the worst of his skin issues and we didn't know yet what was causing it. He did fine on it, gained a bit of weight though so watch that... although I'm sure a bit of weight wouldn't hurt her a bit. Once he was weaned off it, it was like he had never taken it. I think that is a really good idea, and it may smooth the transition this time.:thumbs up

And I know at four I was very leary of commiting to my 5th.... Palomine, he actually started out being a companion for Chase in the big rig, but got
a URI and then stayed with me after. I thought is was so stressful at first, the other cats hated him, the introductions were a mess (heck Smoke still hates his guts!) and we so didn't have the room!!! But it's now 2 or so years later, we eventually managed to find that elusive larger space AFTER we added yet the 6th cat we weren't really prepared for!

I truly believe that God/life only throws you what you can handle.... and you end up where you are supposed to be, but thats nothing to say about how you get there and how many hissy fits you get to throw along the way!;)

So remember when she is giving you those 'why are you torturing me this way' face, that someone has a bigger plan for the both of you and this is just one step in it. And while you are trying to transition her, you can still keep calling and searching too for a perfect home, for you and her or you or her!

Tons of :goodvibes: and :grouphug: and :pray: coming to you from me and the kitties!

14+kitties
June 2nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
You could also look in the used section of your paper(s). I found both of mine in a freebie paper for $50.00 each. I couldn't have bought new ones either. Not with my food bill every month! :D You could also google "used dog crates" for your area and see what pops up. :shrug:

ancientgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 04:28 PM
krdahmer, that lady is just a miserable life form, that's the only thing I can figure about her. I have no respect for her and whenever I see her I just don't even look in her direction.

That's a horrible story about that kitty you saw. How incredibly sad. I have to say, whenever I walk downstairs and don't see Czarina, I instantly become nervous. I can't help but think the worst. At least now, I won't have to think that way anymore. I'll know where she is.

I don't know why I didn't try the kitty prozac before. It just never crossed my mind. Had I done so from the beginning, she'd be inside by now. The biggest hurdle is the first few weeks of the medication, from what the vet said it takes about 1-4 weeks for it to even begin working. I've ordered more Feliway, hoping that if I have it in the kitchen, where she's going to be it will work better. I can have that in there at the beginning and then just let the medication take over from there.

I've got my mind set that I want to find a bigger place. Right now I'm saving money, because any place I find I'll have to give the usual security/1st & last months rent, so no use in looking now if I can't even afford the move yet. But once I've got a decent amount of money I can start looking. Even if it's a little further from work, as long as I've got more room, it'll be worth it. 5 is just crazy in my apartment, but it will have to do for now. At least having Czarina on medication will make things less hectic and introductions will hopefully be easier this time around.

14+K, I'm going to have a look in the free paper and on Craig's list. Maybe I can find something that will work for me.

chico2
June 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Ancient,what about asking your vet,you certainly are a good customer,maybe he has a crate you can borrow/rent,or maybe he knows where you can get one cheaper:fingerscr
I know how you feel about Czarina,once you get to touch an animal,get to know him/her,that's it,you feel responsible,especially with threat of a moron around.

ancientgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Chico, that's a good idea. I think tomorrow I'll give them a call. I know they have been putting the kittens they currently have there out in the big crates hoping people will adopt them. Maybe they have an extra one I can use/rent for a few weeks, until I can managed t find one I can buy that's inexpensive.

You are very correct. The moment you touch an animal, you automatically get a connection with that animal. I don't know what she''s thinking when she looks at me, but I know what I'm thinking, and knowing that, I can't allow someone to harm her.

Winston
June 2nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Ancientgirl I wish you lived closer! I have picked up many at garage sales for the rescue...can never hurt to have an extra crate!

Good luck with Czarina and just take it one day at a time and I am confident it will work out! Dont give in to her! and those beautiful eyes she has!!! :thumbs up

Cindy

ancientgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Winston, I think this time I might be a little bit better prepared. I've got a few more ideas about where I can have her separated from the others. And the medication will help too. Eventually I hope she realizes how great it is to be inside.

Winston
June 2nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
:thumbs up

Cindy

krdahmer
June 2nd, 2008, 10:42 PM
She will! Especially in your house!;) It took me quite a while to convince my 'wild' guys.... but now you'd never know they ever lived alone outside! :D :thumbs up

ancientgirl
June 3rd, 2008, 09:13 AM
That's what I'm hoping for. I'd like for her to at one point forget she ever lived outside. Hopefully after a while she'll realize how cool it is living inside.

krdahmer
June 7th, 2008, 11:20 AM
SOooooo.... how's it going with Czarina? Or are you still preparing? I'm so excited for her.... I really hope she sees this time how cushy her life would be with you! :fingerscr :pawprint:

ancientgirl
June 7th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Well, right now she's at the vet. I dropped her off this morning to have them run a fecal on her and have her bathed. The fecal came back as negative for any parasites or worms and I left her there.

I came home and asked Rene, the other maintenance man if they had some screen material. I took some and was able to block the kitchen pass through, so I think that will keep the others from getting in that way and hopefully keep her from betting out. I think I have the screen in the kitchen opening pretty secure so that I can have her in there.

I set up the gangs plates and water out in the dining area.

I have some feliway in the kitchen so I'm really hoping all that helps. By the time I have to change it, I'm hoping that's when the medication will have started to kick in.

I'll pick her up around 2 or 3 then bring her home. Let's keep our fingers crossed everything comes together this time around.

Jim Hall
June 7th, 2008, 12:24 PM

otter
June 7th, 2008, 01:37 PM
:fingerscr:fingerscr and :goodvibes::goodvibes: for Czarina and the gang, you too!

It sounds like you have a great set up for her when she comes home. She might need a little alone time to get over her trip to the vet, bath and new surroundings.... maybe plan for some take-out for dinner, so she can have the kitchen to herself for the night.

She might not fully integrate as a family member with the rest of your gang but, she will have a safe and secure home with you and I think that is the best for everyone. I know my Clover was wild for years before I brought him in - he's been here a full year and as much as he's a cuddle bug with me, he and Misery still pretty much hate each other (though now we're down to just hissing and dirty looks, no more swatting, teeth baring, brawling or raised hackles, fewf!). They just avoid each other now and life goes on.

:pray: for a happy home :grouphug:

Lukka'sma
June 7th, 2008, 01:57 PM
What has this lunatic woman done to this cat. Does she get a hold of her and let her dog terrorize it or encourage her dog to chase it?

chico2
June 7th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Ancient,I am so proud of you,giving this little girl another chance:grouphug:
Hopefully with time,things will go better this time around:pray:

krdahmer
June 7th, 2008, 05:31 PM
We've got all our :fingerscr & :pawprint: crossed here for you! :goodvibes:

Hopefully that screen will do the trick and the feliway will ease her into the indoor lifestyle!:grouphug:

ancientgirl
June 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Well she's home finally. I picked her up from the vet about an hour ago. She's in the kitchen and she's in that little pyramid bed thing she loves. I've got food set out for her, dry and canned and some water. She's got litter (Cat attract) and I even left the big carrier in there for her as well, so she has plenty of places to hunker down if she feels overwhelmed.

I hadn't been able to give her the medication this morning, but she allowed me to give it to her with no problem. She's very scared and unsure right now. Vlad keeps going to the screen and peering in. I also placed the Ssscat right on the shelf of the kitchen pass through. I didn't want any of resident gang hopping up there and bugging her and so far it's worked really well. It sprays the air and the jump down immediately.

Lukka'sma, the old hag keeps throwing her food away. Miguel had to start feeding her in his office, but that means she's got no food anywhere after they leave. So if she's still hungry she's got to wait until they come in the morning. Plus, she doesn't get food Sunday because the hag throws it away. At this point, I really fear for her life. This woman is a complete a-hole and I can't risk her doing anything to Czarina.

Otter, even if she never becomes best buddies with the others, as long as I can get her to the point where she will allow herself to relax and just enjoy being inside.

I'm going to spike my gangs water with Rescue Remedy, just in case as well as Czarina's. The Feliway is in the kitchen and in the living room so hopefully that will start to kick in soon.

I'll leave her alone for the evening so she can relax after her very adventurous day.

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes and keep those good vibes coming our way.

Jim Hall
June 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM
yup spunds like a good plan best of luck

ancientgirl
June 7th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I was just in the kitchen with her for a while. I was petting her and I could feel she was shaking. She came and sat on my lap, then snuggled into me and took a nap for a few minutes.

Vlad's hissed at poor Maks a few times, so I think I need to start rubbing them with some spray I have that smells like baby powder. Maybe that will calm Vlad down a bit. I feel bad for Maks. He loves being near Vlad and getting hissed at by his buddy must be very confusing for him.

chico2
June 8th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Ancient,Vlad is insecure and probably said"Oh no,not her again!!"and will probably lash out at Maks or anyone near him at times.
But it should ease after a while,patience,patience and more patience,you already have the love and good intention.
If this woman,is a drugaddict and alcoholic,maybe her own pup is suffering too,but some people,I know a few,regard cats as no more than vermin,but love dogs.

ancientgirl
June 8th, 2008, 08:00 AM
He hissed at me this morning for a little bit too. He's up in the loft with me now. He gave me some nose nuzzles. I wasn't able to give Czarina her medicine this morning she was a little hesitant and she hissed at me. I'll have to wait until later.

She hasn't eaten or used the litter. I'm hoping she's just still getting used to things. I know it's a huge change and having 4 other established cats around doesn't help.

I had to turn off the Sscat because that thing seems to just want to go off when it feels like it. I was no where in the line of the motion detector and it went off several times. I can probably leave it off while I'm home.

Jim Hall
June 8th, 2008, 09:14 AM
sounds ok she willcome around what kind of medicisne is she taking ?

ancientgirl
June 8th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I'm giving her prozac. It's a topical that I put in her ear. I did it because the last time I had her in here she was so stressed out and aggressive. And she was urine marking all over. I've only been giving it to her for about 4 days, and I won't see any change in behavior for about 2 or 3 weeks. I wanted to make her transition as painless as possible this time. I figure, if she's calm then the others will be more apt to be calm.

I managed to get the medicine on her a little while ago. I've been pretty much just leaving her alone. I'll go in there for a little while every few hours.

So far the screen in the pass through and the one blocking the kitchen are holding up very well.

krdahmer
June 8th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Glad to hear the screens are working! And it may take her a few days to calm down, especially because her last visit was a bit hairy... if she is still not eating later, maybe try some tuna or something. If you give her the tuna with the juice/water still in it, she gets both, and I don't know too many kitties to refuse tuna. (Well except for a couple of my weirdos!:rolleyes:) More :goodvibes: !!! :grouphug:

ancientgirl
June 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Tuna is a good idea. I can walk across the street and get some. I moved the food to right in front of her. I was thinking, maybe she just doesn't want to come out of her little pyramid, so maybe moving the food and water close to her will help.

chico2
June 8th, 2008, 05:15 PM
OMG,I wish we could just tell her what a wonderful life she will have with you,but unfortunately they don't always understand:sad:
I am sure you will eventually have 5 happy kitties....come on Czarina smarten up!!!

rainbow
June 8th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Czarina is so lucky to have you for her kitty angel. :angel: Hopefully the prozac will help to ease the introduction period this time. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
June 8th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Right now I'd be happy if she just used the litter box. I'm worried she hasn't used it since I brought her home, and she probably hasn't gone since yesterday morning.:sad:

krdahmer
June 8th, 2008, 11:45 PM
They can be very stubborn.... I know Fagan was out of sorts and held it almost two days!(we were trying to get a sample with that special litter and he didn't like it. The vet had to make him go.

Most likely once you get her to eat something, the next time it's dark she'll come out and use the box.... but you could move that closer as well. I'm not sure if you can pick her up or not, but I always start the outdoor kitties in the litter box, and if I can without being ripped to shreds rub their paws in it so they see it's diggable... :shrug:

I always get nervous when they don't go too.... but if nothing is going in, it makes sense that they can hold it a while.

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2008, 08:50 AM
She only ate a little bit yesterday, mainly some tuna I had put out for her, but she didn't eat a whole lot of it. When I woke up she still hadn't gone. I went outside and got some dirt, thinking if she sees the dirt she'll know she can go there since that's where she was going outside. I can pick her up, she'll allow me to do that, so I've been putting her in the litter. Later I'll move her feet around, maybe get her started.

I was talking to Miguel about it and he said that when she needs to go bad enough, she'll go. I'll wait a day or two, but if she's not gone by Wednesday, I need to take her in.

How long was Fagan outside, do you know?

Love4himies
June 9th, 2008, 09:01 AM
My Snowball would not go to the bathroom if he was stressed, took 24 hours sometimes (I moved across Canada twice with him so he has been very stressed at times). This is normal for cats and not to worry unless she goes too long without eating or drinking.

You are an angel, ancientgirl, an absolute angel. :angel2:

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2008, 09:09 AM
She only started eating a little last night. I didn't notice her drink any water. I'm hoping to get home a dirty litter box :laughing:

Thanks for the support guys. I keep telling myself "you can do this, your better prepared this time." I just need to keep the imagine in my mind of the day when they are all able to be in the same room with each other and not be afraid to leave them alone.

Love4himies
June 9th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Are you feeding her canned food, if so, that may be enough water for her until she gets more comfy with her surroundings.

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I had some canned set out for her Saturday and yesterday and she didn't touch it. She only had a few bits of dry. I went and got some tuna, and put that in front of her and she started eating. She had I'd say a little less than half a can. This morning she had another bit of dry. I left her plenty of water then moved her little bed near the litter and away from the view of the others. I didn't know what else to do:shrug:

Love4himies
June 9th, 2008, 10:05 AM
"out of sight" is good for stressed kitties! Makes them feel much more secure. You are doing a great job!:thumbs up

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM
"out of sight" is good for stressed kitties! Makes them feel much more secure. You are doing a great job!:thumbs up

Thanks!

I turned the Sscat back on, so the others won't jump on the ledge of the pass through. And putting her bed near the litter blocks the view a little bit from the screen. I remembered reading something about some cats not liking to use the litter box if there are other cats watching or something. So I'm hoping once she sees she's got some privacy she'll be able to relieve herself.:D

krdahmer
June 9th, 2008, 11:58 AM
She only ate a little bit yesterday, mainly some tuna I had put out for her, but she didn't eat a whole lot of it. When I woke up she still hadn't gone. I went outside and got some dirt, thinking if she sees the dirt she'll know she can go there since that's where she was going outside. I can pick her up, she'll allow me to do that, so I've been putting her in the litter. Later I'll move her feet around, maybe get her started.

I was talking to Miguel about it and he said that when she needs to go bad enough, she'll go. I'll wait a day or two, but if she's not gone by Wednesday, I need to take her in.

How long was Fagan outside, do you know?

That is great that she ate a bit! At least you know there is something to come out now. :goodvibes:

Oh and as for Fagan, only 5 weeks, I took him and his littermates in when they were about 5 weeks old. But I was referring to Papa, and Little Momma... Papa cat did really well, only held it about 12 hours then used the box, he had been out we think about 2-3 years at least and Little Momma was the feral I took in while pregnant, outside at least 1 year (:pray: that she still is! we did a spay and release for her) she was too wild for me to get anywhere near her and still used the box after a day or so and she was in a cage. It's their instinct to want to dig and bury it.... so she should use it soon.... hopefully by the time you get home! :fingerscr

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2008, 12:13 PM
That's great to hear! It gives me hope. Did you keep Fagan's papa? I know Czarina's been out for at least 2 or 3 years. I have hope she will come to love her inside life at some point.

Hopefully the pee/poop strike will be over when I get home.:D

Love4himies
June 9th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Cats "think" they love what they know, she will come to love the comfort and security of being inside with time. Right now this is so foreign to her, that she is scared.

:goodvibes::fingerscr

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah, Vlad is always trying to get past me, and sometimes I let him walk in the hallway a little bit with the harness, but after a little while of being outside with all those noises and the heat, believe me, he's ready to go inside. :laughing:

phoozles
June 9th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Congrats Ancient on getting her inside (I have dial up at home, so I can only go online for minutes at a time before I want to throw the computer :laughing:)!

Sounds like things are going well so far - you can expect a little hissing from your other guys - they're probably confused and so they are lashing out..

And if she's eating, even a bit, she's got to be somewhat relaxed - I'm sure she'll come around.. Great idea about the cat attract - I'm going to get some for Ethel and her babies on the way home from work! (forgot all about it)..

Can we get some new pics of Czarina in her new home? :pray:

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I'm going to see if I can get some pictures of her this evening. I haven't wanted to freak her out with the flash or with some weird contraption covering my face.:laughing:

Last night she was sleeping on my lap and I was kicking myself for not having the camera with me. She looked so cute.:lovestruck:

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2008, 09:12 PM
She peed!!!!!!

Whew! Man, what a relief!:laughing:for the both of us.

Jim Hall
June 9th, 2008, 09:22 PM
:thumbs up:laughing::cool::highfive::angel::lovestruck::): ):)

14+kitties
June 9th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Geezzzz, whatcha' gettin' so excited about? It's only PEE!!!!
:D :thumbs up YAY!!!!!!!!!!

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Not only did she finally pee, but she peed IN the litter box, something she never did before. When I had her here the last time, she peed everywhere else but the litter box.

14+kitties
June 9th, 2008, 09:32 PM
:thumbs up :highfive: Czarina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good girl!!!!

the gang
June 9th, 2008, 10:03 PM
good job finally!!!!! she is getting commfy good job!! :thumbs upfor both of you.

rainbow
June 10th, 2008, 01:28 AM
YAY Czarina :highfive: .....that's great news. :thumbs up

Lots of us here have gotten excited many times about dog poop but I think this is the first time on the forum for cat pee. :laughing:

chico2
June 10th, 2008, 07:43 AM
:thumbs upgood girl Czarina:cat:
Nothing is as exciting as a nice flow of pee or nice firm poops,in the box:laughing:

Love4himies
June 10th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Way to go, Czarina!!!:thumbs up

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Well we got the pee out, now we just have to wait for poop.

She hasn't eaten much since Saturday so it's understandable if she doesn't poop right away.

I did have a major break through this morning. She ate some canned food! She never even ate canned when I had her the first time, so I was thrilled she ate some this time. Maybe she just didn't like the Fancy Feast I'd been giving the gang last time. Since they are all eating the Wellness grain free, she might like that better. And since she took to it right away, I think I'll just give that to her later too. I left some of the dry, which is Innova Evo, in case she wants to munch during the day, but since she ate the canned, I'll give her some later too along with the gang. :D

chico2
June 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
ancient,that's great:cat:
I've had my cats on Wellness canned for a while and they loved it,but now they are not too crazy about it..cats are the most frustrating when they snub their food:yell:
Now I also have a few cans of Fromm and Mother Hubbard and they get I can of Fancy Feast,unfortunately they just love that stuff:shrug:
I could give you a big:grouphug:for giving Czarina a second chance:cat:

loopoo
June 10th, 2008, 05:44 PM
glad i found this thread i am like a chicken with its head cut off lately... your a sweetheart for taking her in again, and by the looks of it she is much more comfortable.. these things take time for sure but i have a good feeling it will work out all right:goodvibes::fingerscr

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Chico, in the grand scheme of things, Fancy Feast isn't as bad as some of the others, not like Friskies or 9-Lives. And I was getting them the ones with no wheat gluten so I figured that wasn't too bad. If ever they snub the Wellness, I can always give them the FF again for a while then go back.

I had to give Czarina another chance, I don't think I was prepared the first time around. This time, I've got her set up a little better and the medication should help too.

Loopoo, I think she is more comfortable. There is more room in the kitchen for her to move around, than before. I've also got some Feliway in the kitchen, so I'm hoping that starts working soon along with her medication. As soon as she starts to feel less stressed, I think she'll come out of her shell a little.:fingerscr

otter
June 10th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Yipeee for Czarina and ancientgirl :highfive::D:cloud9::thumbs up:goodvibes:

I'm guessing there are still gonna be some ups and downs still but things definitely are sounding positive! You are such and :angel: to this kitty!

My wild boy (ya right, my FORMERLY wild boy) was on his own for years (8 or 9) before he become my snuggle bug :cloud9: he's got some strange behaviours (like he doesn't eat beef - obviously not a part of "wild" diets! he hates to be covered up or enclosed anywhere, totally different from Misery who LOVES to sleep under the covers on the bed) - Czarina will probably have a few quirks of her own that you will have the joy of uncovering (I think it's soo cool to try and figure these critters out). You guys will be in my heart and prays forever :pray::lovestruck:

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Yipeee for Czarina and ancientgirl :highfive::D:cloud9::thumbs up:goodvibes:

I'm guessing there are still gonna be some ups and downs still but things definitely are sounding positive! You are such and :angel: to this kitty!

My wild boy (ya right, my FORMERLY wild boy) was on his own for years (8 or 9) before he become my snuggle bug :cloud9: he's got some strange behaviours (like he doesn't eat beef - obviously not a part of "wild" diets! he hates to be covered up or enclosed anywhere, totally different from Misery who LOVES to sleep under the covers on the bed) - Czarina will probably have a few quirks of her own that you will have the joy of uncovering (I think it's soo cool to try and figure these critters out). You guys will be in my heart and prays forever :pray::lovestruck:

Wow, 8 years on the street! Otter, you just gave me a whole lot of hope! I know it's going to take some time for her to really get comfortable, but eventually I'm hoping she realizes she's got it good here. No bugs, a nice cool apartment, plenty of food and water and a safe place to sleep. She's estimated at about 3 or 4 years old, so she's really been a stray for a short period of time.

I'm sure she'll have her little quirks, and it will be very interesting to figure them all out.:laughing:

otter
June 10th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Ancientgirl, I was only thinking of you today (just a few minutes ago) when Misery and Clover actually touched NOSES!!!!! What a moment. It's only taken a year for them to be able to look at each other without hissing etc. :thumbs up
There is always hope!

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM
That's wonderful they had that breakthrough! Vlad adores Oksana, but plays too rough and she's always hissing at him when he gets close, but now and then she gives him a break and touches his nose and licks his face. :lovestruck:

I just don't want to keep Czarina in the kitchen forever. I'm hoping for a couple of weeks, at the very least less than a month.

I know she won't immediately adore any of my gang, but as long as she can learn to live with them, and even give them a chance. I'm also hoping my gang is as accepting as they were last time she was here.

Jim Hall
June 11th, 2008, 12:25 AM
well she isnt trying to bust out thats a good thing how does she react when the other cats come around ? as long as she eating and peeing and pooping and not youwling in the middle of the night shes good the rest is patience

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2008, 08:48 AM
When she sees the others she hisses, then goes into her little pyramid.

This morning she finally pooped, and she peed again, so I don't have to worry about that anymore. No meowing in the middle of the night either so that's good.

I didn't give her the medication this morning because I was in a rush, and she was eating and drinking water so I didn't want to interrupt her.

So far so good.:fingerscr

Jim Hall
June 11th, 2008, 08:57 AM
sounds like she doing ok did you try putting comething that smells like the other cats in her place? you coud try gromming her woth a bruch and sneaking the neds on her if i am not mistaken she is getting prozac topically?

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2008, 09:07 AM
It's hard to put any of their beds in there with her. But I do have a towel they have all laid down on, I can put that in her little area.

Yeah, she's getting topical prozac. I just didn't want to sneak up on her while she was eating or drinking anything. I didn't want to associate her eating with a sneak attack. I can get it on her later. She's been coming out little by little in the evening so I'll have a chance then.

14+kitties
June 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Sounds like she is settling in pretty well. Things are a lot calmer this time. :thumbs up That is a great thing!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Yes, I was very happy when I saw her digging in her box! This time I was certainly better prepared, both with the medication and a place to set her up comfortably without the others getting in. I can safely and comfortably keep her in the kitchen for another week or two or maybe a little more.

The other's seem to be getting used to not being able to get in the kitchen. They have their food and water out in the dining room and they have no problem there. Now and then I see one or two stationed at the screen door, wondering just where the other kitty is.

Czarina is still the one doing most of the hissing. The others are mainly very curious.

I have to clean her ears tonight, since the topical can build up slightly so I have to get that film that builds up off of her. She's not going to like it. I'm wondering if maybe I should try wrapping her up in a towel, just to be able to handle her better, but I'm afraid that might dampen her trust in me so I'm hesitant to do that. I may just have to hold her down and quickly swipe the cotton ball with the cleaning solution in her ear.

Man, I really wish I could make her understand I just want to give her a better , safer and more comfortable place to live.

Love4himies
June 11th, 2008, 10:44 AM
She will come to learn that indoor life is better, it just takes time.

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2008, 10:55 AM
She will come to learn that indoor life is better, it just takes time.

I really hope so. I wish I could just snap my fingers and she's used to everything. I'd like to try getting a couple of baby gates so I can make some room for her in the hallway and she can get some more light. I'm looking forward to the day when she can stand in front of the screen and not hiss at the others.

phoozles
June 11th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Things are sounding so much better this time around! :highfive: :thumbs up

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Yes, I prepared better this time around and her area is roomier and better set up. Hopefully that will make a difference too.:D

Winston
June 11th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Ancientgirl! things sound like they are going okay for now....Dont rush things though...I think you will need longer than a few weeks...Just keep thinking she is safe, full tummy and someone who loves her...even if she has to stay behind the screen for a lot longer it is still worth what you are doing for her. I fear that if you let her out sooner that you will feel really bad if something doesnt work out..so please just wait till you know for sure Czarina has adjusted to her new surroundings..I know you want everyone to get along but just think many people rescue kitties just to get them off the street! doesnt mean they are happy right away...but your girl will someday...I am positive of that!! stay strong!

Cindy

chico2
June 11th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I 100% agree with Winston,it will take time,lots of patience and love,which I know you have:cat:

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys. I'm prepared to have her in the kitchen for a while. I realized that last time things were rushed and just went all wrong. At least I'm comfortable in knowing she's got more room in the kitchen than she had last time I had her. And there's no chance of her escaping, at least not unless she climbs the screen which I can't see her doing.

She's not eaten much today, but I know there will be days like that. My main concern was for her to pee and poo and she did. So now I just have to give her time.

I have to say though, I am enjoying being able to cook without my 4 assistants.:laughing:

14+kitties
June 11th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Hopefully you will soon have another assistant when you are cooking. :D
I also agree with Winston. This is going to take time, patience and more time. You are doing well. :thumbs up

Winston
June 11th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Ancient you mentioned you hope she doesnt climb the screen? if she does can she get in with the others? If she can then you probably need to think of away to keep her fully enclosed..you never know if she decides she wants to wander when everyone is asleep? and that could end up confrontational for the rest of the gang! is there any way to make it so she cannot escape?

I missed the pooping part!! awesome! so now its just time and more time..things are looking up! funny how we can get excited over a poop!!! :laughing:

Cindy

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Winston, the screen is a little over 5 feet high. There's no way I can enclose the doorway completely unless I maybe buy some kind of screen type door and install it. But I'm thinking of getting a baby gate, that way I can put that at the top of the doorway. So it will just cover the part the screen doesn't, and if she did climb the screen, there's no way she'd be able to get past that overlap. I have to wait until I have some extra cash for that though. For now, she's staying inside her pyramid and only going out for very short periods, so I have a little time to get the gate. You know, I never thought I'd ever get so excited over poop!

14+K, please let me have my alone cooking time just a little while longer. :laughing:

ancientgirl
June 12th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Last night she was sitting on my lap and one minute she was fine, purring and the next she was growling and hissing. I wasn't even petting her at that moment. I did though cross my arms and just left her alone and she eventually jumped off of me and ran into the pyramid. I imagine she's angry about being in the kitchen, but I know this is a transitional time. Hopefully she'll slowly want to spend a little more time out of the pyramid.

Right now I have it positioned so none of the others can see in, but I'm wondering if I should move it so that they can all see each other. Should I leave things the way they are for now and let her hide from them for a while longer?

krdahmer
June 12th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Provided Buddy stops slappin the keyboard here for a minute, I'm gonna try to catch up (out of town for a couple days at my hubby's pastor's funeral).

That's great to hear! It gives me hope. Did you keep Fagan's papa? I know Czarina's been out for at least 2 or 3 years. I have hope she will come to love her inside life at some point.

Hopefully the pee/poop strike will be over when I get home.

I did not keep Papa, I had him almost a month and then he spent almost 2 in a cage at Petsmart (that broke my heart :sad:and I visited every other day the whole time he was there). Then he got adopted by a nice middleaged couple and now spends his time curled up with the hubby watching 'the game'... I guess he really became quite affectionate after settling in! :thumbs up (He was the first I took in after reaching 6, so hubby wouldn't let me keep him!:rolleyes:)

She peed!!!!!!

Whew! Man, what a relief!:laughing:for the both of us.

When she sees the others she hisses, then goes into her little pyramid.

This morning she finally pooped, and she peed again, so I don't have to worry about that anymore. No meowing in the middle of the night either so that's good.

I didn't give her the medication this morning because I was in a rush, and she was eating and drinking water so I didn't want to interrupt her.

So far so good.:fingerscr

Things are sounding so much better this time around! :highfive: :thumbs up

Man does it ever!!! You are doing so great! And poop and pee.... well I'm a bit embarassed but I was soo excited to read that when I got home, it made my day! :o:laughing:

And hiding in the pyramid after seeing the others is ok, they all need their safe hidey spots. Heck Smoke still does that with the boys... hisses and then goes and hides behind the tv/in the cat tree cubby hole.

It may take a long while but I think with the way you are going about it this time, and all that preparing you did... I just have a really good feeling about it all! :grouphug:

Good girl Czarina!!!:cat: :pawprint: (a high paw from my kitties)

ancientgirl
June 12th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Nice to see you back! I'm glad to hear Papa got adopted, and is now a cuddle bug. I have hopes that Czarina will be like that too:D

Yeah, I was so excited when she finally peed! OMG, it was such a load off of my mind. And when she pooped at least I knew she's be okay. I was worried about her getting a UTI since it had been so long since she went.

The others are being really good about not hanging out too much in front of the screen. They'll go now and then, but I imagine they must wonder what the big deal is since they hardly see anything in there :laughing:

Now that you mention hiding, Oksana does that now and then too, she'll hiss at the boys for something then run off in the opposite direction and usually head upstairs. She likes the closet. I've got a shelf just about a foot off the floor she loves to hide in. Of course I've got clothes draped all over it so it's like a little hole for her.

I'll just leave Czarina's bed facing the way it is for another week or so. I guess when she feels like it, she'll start coming out and hanging outside more often. I don't know why I didn't think about putting her in the kitchen last time. She may have already been running around enjoying indoor life by now. It just didn't occur to me to close off the pass through with screen or block the kitchen door with the bamboo screen.

chico2
June 12th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Ancient,you are doing soo good,although I can imagine it is not easy.
I think most cats like a hidy spot,Chico has his on top of my PC-Armoir(sort of),Vinnie cannot jump that high(a wee bit chubby)and Rocky,there's no way.
He seems to have problems with his backlegs and I usually lift him to high places.
I am sure,a year from now(hope it does not take that long:pray:)you'll wonder what the fuss was all about,when you see Czarina happily playing with the others.

ancientgirl
June 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Chico, I hope it doesn't take a year too!:laughing: But I know I'm in for some long months. As long as in the end she's happy and well adjusted, it will all have been worth it.

She's not eating this evening. But I know there will be days like that. AS a matter of fact, even Maks isn't coming out of hiding spot. Miguel and Rene came over while I was at work and put a couch someone was trying to get rid of in my place. I told them I was on the lookout for something bigger and more comfy. This one is bigger and certainly more comfy. But poor Maks has been under my bed I'm sure since they were here. When I came home I actually panicked! I called for 15 minutes and looked in his usual spots and couldn't find him. Then I looked under the bed and there was my little guy.:lovestruck:

duttypaws
June 12th, 2008, 09:06 PM
ancient... lola was a hisser when I got her but since march she has calmed down A LOT.... she likes her space... i only give her love when she comes upto me.... but if its in her time i get hissed at.... she has got MUCH BETTER... it takes time!!

ancientgirl
June 12th, 2008, 09:24 PM
ancient... lola was a hisser when I got her but since march she has calmed down A LOT.... she likes her space... i only give her love when she comes upto me.... but if its in her time i get hissed at.... she has got MUCH BETTER... it takes time!!

Oksana doesn't hiss at me, but she likes affection on her time too. LOL, I figure Czarina will hiss for a while, but what scares me sometimes is when she spits and swats. It's a good thing they cut her nails when they bathed her.

I've only had her inside for a week this coming Saturday so this is just the beginning.:laughing:

I do find comfort with all of you who comment about your cats, many of whom were strays and outside cats. It gives me hope.

otter
June 12th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Last night she was sitting on my lap and one minute she was fine, purring and the next she was growling and hissing. I wasn't even petting her at that moment.

I'm going to be honest... you might have to get used to that. Clover is getting better but still, for what I can see as no reason, I get the evil hisss and a bite or swat. He used to do it fairly often, now just once in a while. I got to know the "look" that came just a second before the attack. I really thought he was just going to be an evil cat... but, a year later, he's changed a lot. HAVE PATIENCE!! and be prepared for some nasties.

I try and leave him to come to me for lovin' seems the nasties come out more if I go to him... something i'm sure you keep in mind too.

I think cats that have been outside, fending for themselves, have to be EXTREMELY cautious and they bring that caution with them when they come to a safe place. If ANYTHING seems not quite right, the first instinct is to attack, then to hide... makes sense if you think of them in the wild, they need that fight and flight instinct.

Czarina is such a lucky kitty :cloud9:
And ancientgirl, you're gonna do great with her! You've already given her the most important thing she could ever dream of... someone to love :lovestruck::angel:

ancientgirl
June 12th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Thank you Otter, I appreciate your kind words. All the support really keeps me going on the hard days.

I've already set my mind to allowing her to just come to me. Like I said, I'm sort of used to it with Oksana. She's never ever hissed at me, but if I go to pick her up, she doesn't like it and meows like she's being tortured. She hates being picked up and if you go to her on your terms she's really not interested :laughing: But sure enough, she's on my bed in the morning asking for cuddles and she's usually laying next to me in the mornings waiting for me to get up. She's my little shadow and follows me everywhere.

:laughing:

While Czarina has lived a pretty quiet life, here at the complex, I understand how she's had to adapt that "every cat for herself" attitude. I just have to use different psychology when it comes to her.

otter
June 12th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I forgot to mention... she might not know how or want to play either. Clover was terrified of any kind of toy for the longest time (now he'll chase string but that's about it and only for about 6 seconds). Oh, and Catnip..... made him pure :evil:, it was like he was drugged and it scared him :shrug:

Frenchy
June 12th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I'm going to be honest... you might have to get used to that.

I totally agree , I've been there. First cat I ever adopted , she was a kitten when I adopted her. Never liked humans , she would come to me once in a while to get pet , but never ever climbed on me. First time she lay beside me on the couch , she was 8 years old and I suspect she wasn't feeling good that day :p

Patience and don't force anything :fingerscr

14+kitties
June 12th, 2008, 10:31 PM
:highfive: to both you and Czarina!! She has come a long way. So have you!
As to the hissing - hiss back. :rolleyes: My guys hate that when I do that to them. :D They get this "What the heck are you doing? You aren't a cat!" look on their face. But it's usually a long time before they do it again. Make sure you aren't close enough for her to retaliate when you do it though. She may decide she doesn't like it. :2cents:

chico2
June 13th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Oh NO,you got a new scary couch,with scary,evil smells:evil:
A new couch will send the kitties in to hiding,until one of them is brave enough to get up on it,one cautious paw at a time:laughing:
Since I've only ever had one little female cat(Cookie a Tortie)I can only judge by how she was,she was the boss for sure and would only cuddle when she wanted to,although when she did she was really sweet.
She,like most cats,did not want to be carried(except Vinnie who likes to hang his 18lb's on my shoulder:laughing:)cats IMO do not like to be restrained.
With Czarina having lived outside and now in your kitchen,has a lot to get used to,all in her own time,as I am sure you know by now..
Hissing,spitting and swatting is scary stuff,but it will eventually subside to only the occasional hissyfit,like Chico with Vinnie,I hope:fingerscr

ancientgirl
June 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I sat in the kitchen with her last night and she got out of her pyramid and ate the whole plate. I'm very pleased she's liking the Wellness. All she ate outside was Innova dry, and last time I had her she wouldn't touch any canned. It certainly makes it easier now that all of them are eating the same food.

She hissed just a little when she saw the others outside the screen, but not too much. I'll try hissing back at her next time she does it to me, except I'll be sure she's not sitting on my lap, just in case.:D

Maks spent the entire night upstairs under my bed. I felt so bad for the little guy. The others love the new sofa, the backrest is comfy and Vlad likes it to nap on. When I went to bed Maks came out from under the bed and curled up next to me. Poor little guy. Thankfully he was fine this morning and went down to investigate.

Miguel was telling me when they brought the couch into my apartment he looked in on Czarina and she approached the screen and started pawing at him. She really loves him and he misses her. I feel a little bad for taking her away from him, but I've told him he's free to visit her whenever he wants but she's not going outside again.

Saturday I take her to the vet to get the full exam I couldn't have them do last week. I'll have her tested for FIV again, since she's been outside since December. I want to make sure she's negative still. And I've got to have them look at her left eye. It looks like it's still irritating her.

Love4himies
June 13th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I woudn't worry about the hissing, it is her way of telling you enough attention, it is just more of an order, than a request :D. Be patient and watch her signs closely, she may have indicated to you before the hiss that she had enough, don't take it personally or think she doesn't like a pet, it is just new to her. If this was the case, you wouldn't have even gotten her on your lap. Snowball would bite when he had enough, I learned to stop when his tail let out a little flick (I had him since he was 6 wks old)

It will take some time for her to get used to human attention and to be socialized, you are doing a great job, ancientgirl, soon she will love the security and attention of being a house kitty.

Love4himies
June 13th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Miguel was telling me when they brought the couch into my apartment he looked in on Czarina and she approached the screen and started pawing at him. She really loves him and he misses her. I feel a little bad for taking her away from him, but I've told him he's free to visit her whenever he wants but she's not going outside again.

He should really visit her as often as you allow him to. Cats do miss their furry and non furry companions.

ancientgirl
June 13th, 2008, 09:41 AM
L4H, I told him he's free to visit her when he wants. I had to give him a key to my apartment so he could get the couch in there. I have no fear of him losing my key or giving it to anyone. He's a very decent and nice person, old generation type guy. Him and his wife are good people.

As for her hissing, when she does his after I've been petting her for a bit, I stop and she stays sitting on my lap. It seems to me she does like the contact with me, but the petting is still fairly new to her. I just allow her to sit on my lap until she wants to get down, or when she sees the others and starts hissing up a storm. I motion slowly to get up and she jumps off my lap. I feel a little uncomfortable having her on my lap when she's hissing at the others, since I don't know what reaction she'll have, and I don't want her to see me as the closest thing to her to swat at:laughing:

I have zero plans on going anywhere this weekend, other than the vet on Saturday morning, so I'll be able to spend a little more time with her.

Jim Hall
June 13th, 2008, 09:55 AM
she wont swat at you and if you remain calm she will eventually fogure out that since your calm theres nothing to worry about

krdahmer
June 13th, 2008, 10:56 AM
and if you remain calm she will eventually figure out that since your calm theres nothing to worry about

Very good advice Jim! I learned that one the hard way with Buddy...he was only outside about 6-8 months before we got him, but in that time he had been treated very bad by the neighbourhood jerky kids.... so one day after he'd been in about a month or so I had taken him into the bathroom to give him meds or clip his claws or something and everything was going wrong I was dropping stuff, he was squirming.... I was getting frustrated, and it was almost like he got all wound up with me, because all of a sudden he turned and put his paws on either side of my face, and bit me right on the nose (his two bottom canines actually puntured the inside of my nose a bit) he also swiped off my glasses and left some good scratches at my temples! :eek: Left me sobbing and bleeding on the floor. I was lucky I hadn't lost an eye! I was more hurt than angry and so upset that I had scared him like that without thinking. So now I am always very very calm, especially when holding them for claw clipping and the like... and I have made it a point to study Buddy's warning signs! Now all I get from him once in a while is a little nip on the cheek when he gets overly affectionate (like what he does with Fagan when they are bathing each other.... little love bites, they don't hurt, just kind of startled me the first time he did it:lovestruck:).

Good luck tomorrow with Czarina at the vets! :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
June 13th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Holy cow! I'd have been terrified too. You are very lucky he didn't get your eye. I'm trying not to touch Czarina too much other than pet her. I also try to touch her feet now and then, so she can get used to me doing that. Luckily, I don't think anyone harassed her when she was outside, other than COL maybe shooing at her and stuff. But still, she had very little contact with very few people. I recently learned of one woman who was also feeding her on the weekends. I had a talk with her and when I have a chance she told me to call her so we can try to get some of the other cats around the complex S/N. She's got cats of her own and she seems like a very nice caring person.

Anyway, being calm is a very good idea. I always try to be calm and relaxed when I'm with her, simply because I don't want her to notice any tension from me. LOL, I'm using some of the advice Cesar uses on dogs about positive energy.

chico2
June 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Ancient,you seem like a worried little mom and staying calm is really important.
There is always a reason cats do what they do,many people would not bother trying to find out and just dump the cat.
I know you are not one of them,you love her and one day,hopefully soon,you'll be amply rewarded.
Good Luck tomorrow:goodvibes::fingerscr

ancientgirl
June 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Chico, your assessment is correct.:laughing: I'm probably just worrying too much about something that will work itself out with time.

ancientgirl
June 13th, 2008, 08:53 PM
A small advancement. Czarina not only buried her pee, but her poo too! First time she's done that.

I'd also gone to Petsmart to get some litter and decided to get her a cute collar. It's brown with pink, blue and white circles around it, and I got her a little tag. I figured, I'd have it for when she was ready. So I was sitting in the kitchen with her and decided to just see if it would fit her. I put it on her expecting to have to get it off fast, but she didn't mind it. I didn't think she'd like it since she's never worn one. I'm very happy she didn't seem to mind it, since it looks quite lovely on her. I need to find her a more girly tag. The only one they had was a fish one like Maks' old tag. But I'll find her something nice.

chico2
June 14th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Ancient,get your camera out,Czarina-pics are due,haven't checked the pic-forum,maybe you already did:confused:

ancientgirl
June 14th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Chico, I posted some last week of her in the pictures section. I need to try and get some this weekend with her wearing her pretty new collar.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53124

I took her to the vet this morning and I have to put some drops in her left eye 3 times a day for the next 3-5 days. And she's still FIV NEGATIVE!!! So I was VERY happy about that. She's also steady at about 10 pounds, which is what she weighed in at in December.

The vet told me if I was keeping her inside she didn't see any reason to vaccinate her. My others aren't vaccinated since she told me they'd not need it either if they were indoor kitties.

She was so good at the vet. She's actually better behaved at the vet than the other 4, and she's the one who's had less contact with people.

Anyway, we got home and she needed a nap. She's taken to the canned really well. So everybody is on Wellness grain free!!!!:thumbs up

krdahmer
June 14th, 2008, 11:53 AM
:thumbs up WOO! More good news! Way to go Czarina! I'm glad she likes the wellness too, I can only get Buddy and Fagan to eat it.

And yes, I'd love to also see some more Czarina pics too!!!

ancientgirl
June 14th, 2008, 03:19 PM
She's not too happy with me today. She had a busy morning at the vet's office. I'll see if she's more cooperative later or tomorrow.

chico2
June 14th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Well,that's kind of understandable,I am really impressed if you can manage her eyedrops 3 imes/day.
Just checked the pics,she is adorable looks just like my Cookie(:rip:)
With my cats,Rocky is the one who likes to sleep in tight safe cat-thingys.
I would not change her tent,maybe not even remove her hair,she's comfy with the smell and her hair.

14+kitties
June 14th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Yay!! for a negative FIV!!!!!!!!! And for all the other advancements you have made this week. Every little thing is a notch in your belt! Good Going!!!!!!!!!

ancientgirl
June 14th, 2008, 05:11 PM
LOL, I'll be impressed too if I can managed the drops. I have no clue how I'm going to manage that. It's hard enough sometimes just getting the medication in her ear. I need an extra pair of hands, that's for sure. I've put drops in the others, but they're used to being handled by me and I'm not afraid of them hissing or doing anything to me. But she's a bit of a wild girl and I just don't know how I'm going to do this without pissing her off big time.

14+K, I was very happy about the test. I needed to be sure she was still negative. And she's perfectly healthy other than that problem with her eye, which hopefully will be okay in a few days.

ancientgirl
June 15th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Not a good morning. Czarina is NOT pleased with me today. I had to put in the eye drops for the first time and man she wasn't happy. I had to get her on the counter and hold her down a bit since I couldn't do it any other way. I got the drops in her eye, but I don't know how I'm going to get the drops in her eye another two times today. I have to do it 3 times a day and right now i don't think that's going to happen. She's been swatting and hissing at me since I let her go after the first drops. I bought her a cute little dish for her food and she came out of her pyramid for the first time since this morning to eat something and I briefly thought about grabbing her and putting her 2nd drop in her eye for today, but then I was afraid she'd be scared of coming out to eat thinking she might get ambushed. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow to see if once a day for a few extra days would be okay.

Here's a picture of her pretending I don't exist. You can see her cute little collar though. Her tag is like the one Maks used to have.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four%203/010.jpg

14+kitties
June 15th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Not a happy camper. :sad: Oh well, she'll get over it.
I had Squeak in the house for a week a while back. She had a really bad infection in her eye which I had to medicate three times a day. I had a salve I had to put on my finger and then on her eye. That wasn't fun but once we got the hang of it we did fine. Hold her under elbow, pull eyelid down with same hand, pop drop/salve in. Done!
Good luck!

loopoo
June 15th, 2008, 01:42 PM
i have been reading your post all along ancient... my cat, who i have had for 12 years is exceptionally smart... kind of like a dog/cat/human all rolled into one.
that said... she will still turn around and biteme/hiss at me in the middle of a play or loving session or for no reason at all. i look for the signs now though.. swatting tail really quickly, pupils dilated etc. Anyway, just a thought on giving czarina her drops... grab an old big towel, and wrap her in it all but her face cradling her, then quickly put in the drops. this will help her feel a bit more secure.. she will still be upset, but will get over it. plus it will avoid you having to hold her lest she claw you etc. i am sure she will come along just fine.. no cat likes getting meds, and she is still adjusting... anyway.. i hope that helps a bit.

ancientgirl
June 15th, 2008, 02:01 PM
i have been reading your post all along ancient... my cat, who i have had for 12 years is exceptionally smart... kind of like a dog/cat/human all rolled into one.
that said... she will still turn around and biteme/hiss at me in the middle of a play or loving session or for no reason at all. i look for the signs now though.. swatting tail really quickly, pupils dilated etc. Anyway, just a thought on giving czarina her drops... grab an old big towel, and wrap her in it all but her face cradling her, then quickly put in the drops. this will help her feel a bit more secure.. she will still be upset, but will get over it. plus it will avoid you having to hold her lest she claw you etc. i am sure she will come along just fine.. no cat likes getting meds, and she is still adjusting... anyway.. i hope that helps a bit.

Oh nooooooo, I tried that already. It was like having a tiger by the tail. Talk about shooting daggers at someone with their eyes. I had to leave her alone for almost 2 hours before I was able to just grab her with nothing around her. I'd thought the same thing, the towel would make her feel secure. I do that after I bathe my other 4, leave them wrapped in their towel and cut their nails, and they are fine with it. But Czarina would just not have it.

I'm just going to have to try and get her later this evening by surprise.

chico2
June 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Ancient,I can just imagine what you and Czarina are going through,I would have the same problem with my guys,so it's not because Czarina is a stray.
We did use a towel on Rocky too,a really big bath-towel,but he soon got aware of what that towel was for and no more:yell:and we were 2 people I'd hold hm and hubby did the deed.
I don't really think it matters all that much,just give her the drops whenever possible.
I too had a gel once for one of my cats,actually easier to apply than drops.IMO

ancientgirl
June 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Chico, a gel would be easier, since I could at least smear it on her eye really fast. I was just in there and she came out of the pyramid. I grabbed her and put the second drop of the day in. I lost two drops, and the third managed to go in her eye. She was growling up a storm, but I kept hold of her until she stopped growling as much and talked very quietly to her. I'm hoping she at least realizes it's not hurting. I don't think she feels any pain from it.

Man, this is so hard. I wish I had at least another pair of hands to help, but that's not going to happen so I suppose I just need to buckcvx laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Ack! That was Oksana giving her :2cents:

krdahmer
June 15th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Aw Oksana piping up huh... we should let her and Buddy chat... he's always all over the keyboard! And ya eyedrops are never fun.... even I hate them, no one likes someone forcing something into their eye.... especially kitties! (Oh did I mention I have my Lasik appt?? :rolleyes::eek:)

She looks pretty in her new collar... and I am so impressed she didn't freak out, most cats who haven't worn them before usually freak out a bit at first. Heck Fagan is like Houdini with his... I'm always finding it around the house.:frustrated::lovestruck:

ancientgirl
June 15th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I think deep down inside she's a pretty easy going cat. Honestly, I didn't even expect her to let me get that collar around her neck unfastened. But when I saw she didn't even flinch, I hooked it up and it was like she'd worn one for years. I'm going to see if I can get the third drop in her eye before I go to bed. If I can't, I'm not going to worry. I'm supposed to use them 3-5 days, so if anything, I'll just use it the 5 days at 2 drops a day.

I have a couple collar Houdini's too. Whenever I find one I'm more and more convinced break-away collars are the best thing since sliced bread for indoor kitties.

About your Lasik, I wish I could do that. I just can't afford it, and I have to say, I'm very hesitant. My right eye is really the eye that works the most. I'm fearful something will go wrong and ruin my one good eye.

Jim Hall
June 15th, 2008, 07:56 PM
what are the esyedropes for and maybe youcan just swioe her eve with a tissue soaked in is

ancientgirl
June 15th, 2008, 08:30 PM
The drops are for an infection in her left eye. She's sleeping now and I don't want to bother her. If she's up when I go to bed, I'll try a third time, if not I'll let her be until the morning.

The drops say they're sterile, and I'd hate to put them in a tissue or cotton ball and have them lose something.

loopoo
June 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM
:laughing: oksana putting in her :2cents: made me laugh... i think she will be fine, maybe doing twice a day with more drops like you said will ease the pain a bit) i mean figuratively.. shes used to being a fighter... dont worry too much about it.. she will be so much happier with the eye infection healed and she will know that everything you are doing is to help her

ancientgirl
June 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Yes, she is certainly a fighter. :laughing: She gave me a nice growl as I left her just a little while ago. Hopefully in another few days she'll start getting some relief from her irritation so the trouble will be worth it.

ancientgirl
June 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I was wondering when you all think it would be a good idea to start maybe putting her in the carrier and allowing her to be in the living room with the others?

I don't want to do things too soon and have a repeat of the last time. I've had her now inside for a full week and she's been on her meds for 12 days.

I do see her outside her pyramid when I go to the kitchen in the morning, so that leads me to think she's wandering around a bit in the wee hours. I'd love to see her try to approach the screen door when the others are there. The others are super curious and hang around the screen a good bit of the time. I don't want to force anything, but I'm wondering if she's going to want to just stay in the kitchen for the next several months. It was easy to socialize the others because they were all kittens when I got them.

Chris21711
June 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Hang in there AG, even if she does get in a snit, just tell her it is for her own good. Have you tried giving her the drops and then a treat or bit of catnip afterwards?

ancientgirl
June 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I tried giving her a treat yesterday but she'd just hiss and swat at me. I waited a bit and then gave her a little catnip squirrel. I'll do the same this evening and I'll try to give her a treat again.

I do know she likes treats because I gave her some in the afternoon yesterday. She didn't know what to make of them at first but after she realized they were yummy she really liked them.

Winston
June 16th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Ancient! hold off ! way too soon! let her be there for as long as it takes! and then baby steps from there!..you are making progress just think of it as her staying in there for good and when that day comes that she isnt you will be sooo much happier! for now...wait!! I dont want you to be disappointed!

ancientgirl
June 16th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Okay, I guess when she feels comfortable to walk around a little more she'll do it.

I guess I just hate the thought of her thinking she's got to stay in that pyramid all the time. But I suppose if she feels safe, at some point her curiosity will get her out of it.

Jim Hall
June 16th, 2008, 01:24 PM
belive she will get bored

krdahmer
June 16th, 2008, 02:28 PM
She's out exploring the kitchen now... so thats good, leave her like that maybe a couple more weeks even, eventually she'll start coming to the screen more after she gets comfy that she knows the kitchen well, she'll want to see what else there is the more comfy she gets. That pyramid will be like home plate even after she's out and about. Kittens are so much easier to introduce... but it can be done with older cats.... just a whole lot more patience involved is all. Don't worry she'll let you know when she's ready to explore more... maybe in another week you could try a small stint in another room in a carrier, but don't rush it.

ancientgirl
June 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys. I'll wait it out a week or two more. I just don't want her to freak out if I get her in a carrier and put her to where the others can get close to her before she's ready. Right now they have to keep their distance, but once in a carrier I'm sure Vlad and Maks will be jumping on top of it.:laughing:

At least she's got plenty of room to stretch her legs, and if she wanted to, she could jump on the counter and look out the kitchen pass through. Or approach the screen and get better acquainted with the others. It's only been a week even though it feels like longer.:rolleyes:

phoozles
June 16th, 2008, 04:53 PM
ancient, sounds like things are progressing - but I agree, I wouldn't put them together just yet.. If she was constantly going up to the screen it would be one thing, but since she's not, I'd wait it out for some time..
I also know the pain of giving medicine to one that really doesn't want it - yours is hard to give, and my patient is hard to find! :laughing: Hopefully it'll get easier, and at least it's not a long duration.

Her collar looks very nice, and I love that tag - I don't think you need a girlier one! :thumbs up

ancientgirl
June 16th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Phoozles, you're right, she's not an easy patient. But I've been managing. I can only get at her in the morning and in the evening, when she comes out of the pyramid, but at least I'm getting the medicine in her eye.

I'll give her time. I know it can't be easy for her, but she's got plenty of good food, clean water and a comfortable and safe place to sleep.

I had hoped to find a little tag with a little crown on it. LOL, I've seen them before but they didn't have much of a selection this time. I think it looks nice either way. She looks great in pinks and purples.

CyberKitten
June 16th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I admittedly have not read the whole thread - been away - but I would keep your kitty inside where it is safe. There are all kinds of nasty peple out there who think nothing of hurting cats. I actually overheard an elderly nurse (supposedly a caregiver!) say to someone in the elevator at work today how she was going to poison the neighbour's cat because he was digging up her flowers. Boy, did I tell her!

CyberKitten
June 16th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Uhoh, I missed something, why is she sick AGirl? Is she OK? What happened? (I'll read the posts when I have time)

ancientgirl
June 17th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Wow, what a horrible person to think of poisoning an innocent animal! And what a stupid person to actually say it so others can hear. I'm glad you gave her a tongue lashing.

It's nice to see you back. I have Czarina inside because she was in danger of being poisoned too, by the crazy old lady downstairs. I brought her in just in time too, since I was told she was already in the planning stages to get my girl.

She's very healthy, but I've been giving her Prozac, because the last time I tried to keep her inside she was extremely stressed and understandably aggressive. She also was urinating everywhere. I talked to my vet a few days before I brought her indoors and she suggested Prozac. She said it would take about 3 weeks to begin working, but it would keep her calm and keep her anxiety at bay. One of her colleagues had used it many times in the past with amazing results, so I thought this was the best thing to do for Czarina in order to integrate her into the family.

I'm also giving her some drops for her left eye, since she had a slight irritation and infection. Her eye looks like it's getting much better, but I can only get the drops in her 2 times a day and not the 3 recommended. She's understandably really upset with me now since she does NOT like the drops. But she's safe, she has food 2 times a day and clean water. And a very comfy little pyramid bed to sleep in. I'm hoping she will soon begin to feel comfortable enough to start to walk around the kitchen a bit. I've set that up for her to be her area. It's roomier than where I had her set up last time and none of the others can get in. She's also got her litter box in there which she is using really well. She didn't use the box last time around when she peed and she never covered her poop. But this time around she's going inside the box and covering her poop. I had cat attract litter there at first but I put in swheat scoop this weekend and she's doing well with that.

I've also got feliway in the kitchen to further help things along. I've got a long road ahead but I'm better prepared this time so I am positive it will work out this time.:D

ancientgirl
June 17th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Czarina is finally walking around the kitchen for short periods. Right now she's at the screen door. There's a good amount of hissing going on and the others are just sitting on the other side. At least she's out of the pyramid and is seeing the others. That's some progress.

Stacer
June 17th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Yay!!! good for her, she's claiming the kitchen! I hope she keeps it up, she'll be frolicking with the other 4 in no time!

Winston
June 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Ancientgirl! that is really a great sign! although a reminder to you that it is way to early for any introductions! but a wonderful sign that she is a little more accepting of her situation. Perhaps the meds have started to help ease some of her fears....she is safe and thats the main thing! Good Job!

Cindy

ancientgirl
June 17th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I'm glad she's at least getting out and walking around.

Winston, I hadn't wanted to actively introduce them yet, but since she's in the kitchen and the bamboo screen is what's there they can't help but see each other. I'm thinking she knows they are there so if she's out of her pyramid she must be interested in seeing what's out there. She didn't spend much time out of her pyramid so she's limiting herself. The meds might be starting to work. She's been on them for a little over a week so it could be she's feeling the effects now.

CyberKitten
June 17th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Sorry to hear of your nasty neighbour- one wonders what is wrong with ppl like that! But I am glad to hear Czarina is doing well!! Or better! Sounds like you are doing all the right things! You are a goo meomy Ancient Girl!! :thumbs up:thumbs up

ancientgirl
June 17th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah, she only cares about HER dog, but every other animal can go to blazes as far as she's concerned.

Things are going slow, but that's good. I just want her to take her time getting comfortable.

kimnmark
June 18th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Hey that's really fantastic that she's out & about n the kitchen, even if it's just for short periods. It's progress. :goodvibes:hope everything continues in that direction

Love4himies
June 18th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Sounds like you and Czarina are making progress. I don't think you can avoid hisses with some cats during the intro stage. They are reading each other's body language right now, which is OK, it's going to happen no matter how long you keep them apart.

Important thing is that there is no active aggression or aggressive body language (problem I have with Sweet Pea and Puddles, Sweet Pea goes into aggressive stance when Puddles hisses:frustrated:).

ancientgirl
June 18th, 2008, 09:06 AM
For the most part my gang is pretty calm when she's close to the screen. Kiska hisses now and then, but the others just sit there. I think I may be able to stop giving her the drops in her eye by Friday, which is good because she's really not happy with me right now. She won't even sit on my lap like she used to when I'm sitting in the kitchen. Hopefully once the eye situation is cleared I can start gaining her trust again. She still gives me a hard time with the medication on her ear, but I think for her, that's less scary than having drops in her eye.

14+kitties
June 18th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Great progress!! She is doing well! Keep it up!!!

ancientgirl
June 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks. As long as she at least makes the attempt to walk closer to the screen, I think that's progress. And sooner or later, she will spend more time out of the pyramid and be walking around the kitchen more. :D

Love4himies
June 18th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks. As long as she at least makes the attempt to walk closer to the screen, I think that's progress. And sooner or later, she will spend more time out of the pyramid and be walking around the kitchen more. :D

You are right, that is progress!!!!

ancientgirl
June 19th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Oy, my girl is NOT happy with me today. I stopped giving her the eye drops because her eye looks so much better and I was only supposed to give them to her for about 3-5 days. But the combination of putting the drops and then the topical on her ear for the prozac, has made it very hard. Her trust in my has diminished because of the whole grab and medicate thing.

So, I called the vet to see if I can give her the prozac in pill form, but crushed in her food. I don't know if that will diminish the medication at all. If that's not an option then I'll have to try something else. She used to sit on my lap for a while when I'd go in the kitchen, but since the eye medicating thing she doesn't do that anymore.

So I have to keep it hands off for a while with her until she trusts me again.