Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can you find the pitbull?

katherine93
May 31st, 2008, 10:09 AM
Heres a cool link i'd like you to try! See how many times it takes for you to "find the pitbull" Personally, it took me 4 try's, How many try's does it take you? http://www.nokillnow.com/PitbullFindIT.html

LavenderRott
May 31st, 2008, 10:14 AM
I got it on the first try, but that is because I have seen this particular one a bizzilion times.

Here - try this one. It is a little harder.

http://www.pbrc.net/poppysplace/games/AdultFindabull/findpitbull_v4.html

angeldogs
May 31st, 2008, 10:22 AM
I didn't even bother trying i went through 1 pic at a time just to see them all

Rottielover
May 31st, 2008, 10:31 AM
They both took me only 1 try :)

BeagleMum
May 31st, 2008, 10:56 AM
I had seen the forst game before but I had gotten it in the first try, the 2nd one I had never seen before but I got it right away as well. Soem of them are just so obvious but others do look pretty similar (and cute!!!)

Longblades
May 31st, 2008, 01:52 PM
I got it on the first try and I have not seen this before. Several of the others were completely unknown to me.

King
June 1st, 2008, 11:20 PM
I lost count after so many of them but honestly I wouldn't know what a pit bull looks like.

Melinda
June 2nd, 2008, 01:57 AM
first one I'd seen often before, second was new and got it on the first try *S*, but then, I'm around that breed often and mixes

Love4himies
June 2nd, 2008, 02:10 AM
I would tell you how many times it took me, but much to embarrasing:o

ancientgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 04:15 AM
Those tests are a great way to show people they really don't know what they are talking about when they blame pit bulls for all attacks. It's scary though, to know that any dog that looks like what someone thinks is a pit bull can be targeted. As if it's not bad enough pit's are the target of bsl anyway.

The facts are interesting too. Especially the temperament fact and the human aggressive fact. All the more reason to blame the handler/human not the breed/dog.

LavenderRott
June 2nd, 2008, 04:39 AM
I spend a LOT of time researching and writing letters and such to fight BSL and I couldn't get it on the first guess. The only reason I got it so quick on the first one is that I remember the pitties collar. :rolleyes:

Longblades
June 2nd, 2008, 04:45 AM
I only got it because I remember reading somewhere that pits are not scary looking dogs unless cropped, and collared with spikes and covered in scars. Some of those others though. Cropping the ears in particular seems to do it to me, I'd be wary of such a dog.

pitgrrl
June 2nd, 2008, 06:04 AM
I only got it because I remember reading somewhere that pits are not scary looking dogs unless cropped, and collared with spikes and covered in scars. Some of those others though. Cropping the ears in particular seems to do it to me, I'd be wary of such a dog.

Since it's always really interesting to me what exactly freaks people out, can I ask why cropped ears specifically would make you wary?
Would cropped ears on a Boxer or Dobe get the same reaction?

Is scaring scary because it indicates to you that the dog has been fought?

.....and just since tone is often hard to communicate via the internet, I'm genuinely curious, not trying to be antagonistic in the least :thumbs up

Love4himies
June 2nd, 2008, 06:29 AM
I do agree with the cropped ears making the dog look more scary, perhaps it is the pictures of "viscous" dogs engrained into our brains that associate cropped with viscous:shrug:.

I have learned so much on this forum about pits, education is really needed to stop this mass hysteria about them.

Longblades
June 2nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Really and truly, I'm not sure. I do think Boxers and Dobes, when cropped, still have much more ear left than some of the dogs in those pictures. No? Yes? So maybe it is the amount of cropping. And perhaps because I have actually seen real, live Boxers and Dobes and am more familiar with them I have not been afraid of one.

Scarring could indicate an accident, or an operation. Such as the one eyed dog we met who had had cancer in her eye. Scarring, for some reason does not get to me the way cropped ears do. I really, again, have no firm idea of why.

I wish we could enact legislation to prohibit the mutilation of all dogs. No ear cropping or tail docking. Quite perversely, I guess, docked tails don't seem frightening at all to me.

Dr. Stanley Coren has a theory, that I believe he has tested, that ear set is a prime source of communication in doggy body language. He says the lack of ears, and even floppy ears instead of erect as most wild canid species have, can adversly affect not only the ability of the other dog to "read" the cropped ear dog. But also can affect the cropped ear dog because it may often be misread and thus become more reactive in a negative way. It's in his "How to Speak Dog" book. Hey, maybe I speak dog better than I thought?

DoubleRR
June 2nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
Both first try--but I am a dog researchaholic, and know most of these breeds personally as well.

pitgrrl
June 2nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Really and truly, I'm not sure. I do think Boxers and Dobes, when cropped, still have much more ear left than some of the dogs in those pictures. No? Yes? So maybe it is the amount of cropping. And perhaps because I have actually seen real, live Boxers and Dobes and am more familiar with them I have not been afraid of one.

I guess you see the longer show crops on Boxers and Dobes more frequently, but there seems to be a huge variety in styles of crops on pit bulls.

I wonder though, if the difference is not in the crop, but in the assumption about the reason for it and how that assumption would be different for a pit bull vs. a boxer, for example. Like would one maybe think a boxer had cropped ears because it was shown whereas a pit bull had cropped ears because the owner wanted a tough looking dog :shrug:

I wish we could enact legislation to prohibit the mutilation of all dogs. No ear cropping or tail docking. Quite perversely, I guess, docked tails don't seem frightening at all to me.

Well, the little stumpies are so silly looking how could anyone find them intimidating :laughing:
I did have someone ask me if my dogs tails were docked for fighting though. That was pretty weird.

My suspicion is that really no matter what the dog looks like, the person at the other end of the leash plays a huge role in how others react to the dog. Interestingly, I recently saw a couple of little videos on just this topic:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJbZcCppFjY&feature=user
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0a4ALDcza8&feature=user

mastifflover
June 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Got both first try. What cuties in the second one are those big mastiff faces

jessejames
June 23rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
I am new at this. However I have an urgent situation on my hands. I have a 5 year old pitbull and I need to find a foster home before the end of the month. He is well behaved, fully house-trained and vaccinated. I live in Montreal, near the Atwater market and I need help finding a suitable home or a rescue that can help. Please email me with any options that I can use via email at jesse440@gmail.com. I am not too familiar with this site, how to check messages and to navigate. So I prefer a response via email please.

Thank you to anyone that can help.:confused:

Dingo
June 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I got both on the first try. The pictures on the first test are pretty horrible though. Makes it much harder.