Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Still at it again

Spoiled
July 1st, 2004, 10:36 PM
OK, so we don't have leadership problems, but we're having dog aggressive problems again. I still have the upper paw, but Bentley is acting up again when we're around other dogs. It is embarasing. There was this huge gentle giant of a dog when we were walking, and me and Bentley got into the situation where I knew that Bentley would probably attack. The guy who was with the big dog said "Oh, its OK, my dog is good with other dogs" but still, wouldn't it be a little bit breathtaking if I was a big dog like that and I was attacked by a little dog Bentley's size?

Anyhow, the long and short of it is that unless I can do something about it, Bentley is dog aggressive on leash, but fine off leash. I think he's just protective, but how can I minimize this? It is getting really anoying, and I need some pointers to help get over this. I have tried all the ones from last post. :(

Luba
July 1st, 2004, 10:46 PM
Oh boy thats frustrating huh Spoiled.

What does he do when you give him the command to sit when a dog approaches? Does he listen to you?

Spoiled
July 1st, 2004, 10:48 PM
He does sit, but he watches the other dog while obeying the command.

Luba
July 1st, 2004, 10:50 PM
It's ok that he watches but does he lunge/growl?

At what point does he become aggressive? So he's sitting and you wait for the dog to pass or do you talk to the owner and ask them to come closer if you know them but far enough apart so they don't lunge at eachother like we were talkin about before.

I'm just trying to visualize how he behaves.

Spoiled
July 2nd, 2004, 07:51 PM
OK, I position the choker high on Bentley's neck and sit him and hold him in that position. I usualy walk to the edge of the sidewalk for this. The other dog passes, and Bentley begins to snort. IF the dog is unlucky enough to come to sniff noses, he gets attacked. :rolleyes:

Karin
July 2nd, 2004, 08:40 PM
OK, I position the choker high on Bentley's neck and sit him and hold him in that position. I usualy walk to the edge of the sidewalk for this. The other dog passes, and Bentley begins to snort. IF the dog is unlucky enough to come to sniff noses, he gets attacked. :rolleyes:

Looks like you have manners well in hand, good job.

*rolls eyes * also.

Lucky Rescue
July 2nd, 2004, 10:33 PM
and me and Bentley got into the situation where I knew that Bentley would probably attack.
You must get him OUT of the situation before he's getting ready to attack.

Redirect him, and get him out of there. If you are allowing other dogs to get close enough to him so that he can bite them, then you are not keeping him safe. If he feels insecure, he will attack to defend himself from perceived threats.

Spoiled
July 3rd, 2004, 04:37 PM
You must get him OUT of the situation before he's getting ready to attack.

We couldn't. Our only way out was towards the dog. There was a fence on two sides, people on the other side, and the dog blocking the other. I tried to move him out as quickly as possible. :)

Heather MH
July 12th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Daisy, my female BC off leash is a dream. She may give a little bark if someone comes into our yard, but by telling her to "cool it" she comes and sits beside me. Put a leash on her and its a total different story. When a person, dog or almost anything approaches she lunges, barks, growls... I will put her in a sit position and give her the same command "cool it" She will growl but not move until the person, or dog passes then as soon as they pass she will lunge at them again and bark. Never being close enough to acctually make contact with the person as I expect this. Now I have two 11 month old BC and when walking alone it becomes difficult to control her in these situations because I am also holding Chevy. I'm not sure what it is about the leash that changes her mannerisms. Now granted even though she makes a big stink if a person is to just approach her regardless of her attitude she is there best friend and is fine. I suppose it is just a protective thing??
Anyway I just wanted to see how things were going spoiled? Any new pointers you could pass along?

Spoiled
July 12th, 2004, 06:20 PM
:confused: Now I'm really stumped. OK, I decided to try something different, and I held the leash loosly when another dog came by, and Bentley acted perfect!? Why is this?

Heather, I've always found it helpful to walk Bentley on the other side of me. He doesn't act up as much then. Of course, I can't always be walking him on the wrong side.

cmt489
July 12th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Spoiled,

Maybe I can offer some assistance with what has helped with Oliver, my Shiba, who is almost a year old.

As some may know, Shibas are notorious for being dog aggressive. Therefore, I started his socialization very early which has GREATLY helped (and I know you socialized Bentley so don't worry, this is not my point) but lately, he can be more dog aggressive than I like - probably partly due to the fact that Oliver is intact (before anyone asks why, he is supposed to show once he grows out of his geeky teenager stage) and partly, well, because he is a Shiba.

What I have found helps is to NOT make a big deal of it (ie holding him to me, tightening the leash, etc.) since he is then alerted to being "on the defensive". Instead, I either distract him with treats or, once the other dog is near enough, let him have a "civilized" greating and, if he is good, lots of praise and treats. If he growls, I give one firm tug on the leash, say no and let him "meet" again. When he does it without growling/aggression, praise and treats.

My reaction in the beginning was to avoid interaction and pull him away, but I found this made it worse. What I am doing now is really working for him. This may help with Bentley, I don't know... In any event, good luck to you!! :)

Michelle

glasslass
July 13th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Have you ever seen two men posturing for a fight? They push, snarl, make threatening gestures. As soon as companions jump in to separate them and hold them back, the violence escalates. Held back, they're safe to lunge like they're gonna tear each other apart. I know, dogs pass that line of reason and would actually fight at that point, but couldn't resist the analogy. :p

Spoiled
July 14th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the advice Michelle! That will help a lot. Thanks again! :)