Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peppi le Pew

chico2
May 30th, 2008, 08:21 AM
We have a visitor this morning:yell:sorry,for obvious reasons I could not get any closeups:laughing:
He is right now in our front-yard feasting on grubs(I think).
Is it not unusual for a skunk to be out in the open in the daytime??
I am soooo worried he'll go out on the street:sad:
Oh no,he is back in backyard,the kitties will be staying in today,as will we.
What do I do if he does not go away?

Lukka'sma
May 30th, 2008, 08:56 AM
He should be heading off to bed very soon:sleepy:
Must be just looking for one more snack before turning in:)

Frenchy
May 30th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Peppi le Pew :laughing: they're cute hey ? :lovestruck: I don't think he will stick around ... :fingerscr

chico2
May 30th, 2008, 01:15 PM
He was awfully cute,big fluffy tail:lovestruck:,luckily he wandered off to my neighbor on the left.

ancientgirl
May 30th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Aww, I love skunks. They really are just so cute! Too bad they are the stinky.

JanM
May 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM
He is cute! I hope he doesn't decide to take up residence nearby - for your sake that is!

A raccoon came into my yard the other day - Amber went berserk - barking at it. It jumped up onto the 6' chain link fence so I banged a metal thingee against the fence - that and Amber's barking made it retreat thank goodness.
Not knowing much about them I checked on the net and apparently if they are found out during the day - which this was - there are two likely possibilities - rabies or they are very hungry. I don't know if this holds true for skunks or not but it's worth checking...

I'm sticking with the hungry story!

Hope your skunk is long gone - they're cute but not fun to live near!

bendyfoot
May 30th, 2008, 03:12 PM
It's really not that weird for them to be out during some of the day, I wouldn't worry about it, especially in urban environments. If you've got a good grub infestation, he may become a regular visitor...and keep an eye out for burroughs under porches/sheds/steps, they'll nest in there, and it's nesting season!

chico2
May 30th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Bendyfoot,we always check everywhere and don't really have anywhere where an animal would feel safe to make a home,but there are plenty of people with messy backyards and sheds up the street.
I see Raccoons here every night,I do not feed them anymore,but I have birdfeeders and Squirrel-feeders they are interested in:laughing:
I would never hurt any animal,Skunks,Raccoons,Possums or whatever,I love to see them.
This little guy is welcome to dig up grubs as much as he wants,I was just surprised to see him.
Actually Vinnie spotted him first from inside,I thoght it was a cat,could only see the tail,so I went out to shoo it away.
No,not in a mean way,but Rocky reacts violently to strange cats:yell:
Did I ever run,when I realized it was no cat:laughing:

onster
May 30th, 2008, 05:44 PM
he is kinda cute :p glad he found somwhere else to hang out tho :crazy:

:offtopic: but I was going to call Bunduk Peppi le mew, lol. When he was little he STANK, farted a lot. In fact, my gramma who visited last summer when he was still a kitten calls him "rawayeh", meaning "scents" lol :crazy:

happycats
May 30th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Awwww so cute!!! I love skunks!
I find that at this time of year many nocturnal animals will be out in the morning light, or during the day, becuase they have hungry little mouths to feed, so they spend more time in search of food.

angeldogs
May 30th, 2008, 10:51 PM
They are cute and we used to get alot around here.as soon as i made some noise it was gone running

Jim Hall
May 30th, 2008, 11:30 PM
spot on bendyfoot

all the NOCturnal anmals will be out for a while in the beginningof the day usually for that reason as bendy says when you see them out in late day or miday then it gets tricky allso remember if there are skunk or racoon kits around mom will get aggresive

krdahmer
May 30th, 2008, 11:48 PM
My inlaws feed every living thing in a ten mile radius I think! And when the racoons are out in the day it's usually a very very hungry mother racoon. Maybe the same for skunks, when they are nursing they stay out longer for food.:shrug:

chico2
May 31st, 2008, 07:38 AM
I thought she might have babies too,especially this time of the year,we'll just keep the grubs in the lawn:laughing:lots of protein for the critters..
Last year a mum skunk and 2 babies were killed on the road,it's soo upsetting:sad:
I've had Raccoons sleep in my huge pine-tree in the front and the big tree in the back,they'd sleep all day,not carig that we were around.

growler~GateKeeper
June 3rd, 2008, 01:32 AM
cute little guy :cloud9: as long as s/he has no reason to spray then it's all good :laughing:

Melinda
June 3rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
talk to him/her when its there, let it get to know your voice, we have a resident skunk who appeared about 6 yrs ago, wasn't scared of us at all, in fact it got caught in our live trap (trapping stray cat), we had to soak it with a hose to get it out of the trap *L* she was too comfy, I phoned the ministry to ask if it was normal for a skunk to not even lift it's tail to warn us and they said the skunk "knew" us, , knew our voices so wasn't afraid and felt no need of protection. So enjoy it *L* ours isn't even afraid of Brina, our lab, although if friends have their dog over for bonfires the skunk won't make an appearance

chico2
June 3rd, 2008, 08:00 AM
Melinda,if I try talking to the skunk,hubbie might very well have me comitted:laughing:but I understand what you mean.
I had to warn"my"Baileys owner not to let her out own her own in the backyard at night,but to take her for a walk.
She got skunked last year and ended up in the shed for a few nights:sad:but the stink in their house was really bad.
I just let the skunk be to go about her business,I have nightvision binoculars and really love watching the creatures of the night out there from my window.
It was a first time I see a Skunk in the daylight.
Last night,my windows were all open and all of a sudden,phew!!we closed all the windows:laughing:
I have not checked yet,but I hope she is not crushed on the street:pray: