Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Hate Giving Up, But.....

Byrd
May 29th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Kore's gonna have to go back to Border Collie Rescue. He just hauled off and nailed me on the cheek because I sneezed! He has too little bite inhibition. He's bit me quite a few times now... even for simple things like turning on the can opener. He's bit my sister for coming into the house, and my nephew for coming into the basement. He also charged and attacked someone in the park, luckily it was someone I knew, but he left a mark and tore his pants.

He crapped in the house a couple of times now, right after he's just come in from being outside, and right infront of us.

He's fine when he's being loving and good, but when he's bad he's really, really bad. I don't want a dog that I'm afraid of! Or of what he may do.

I e-mailed Cindy from BC rescue and told her what happened, we'll see what she says.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Lukka'sma
May 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I fully agree with your decision Byrd. If you fear the dog you will never be able to work with him and get him to break his nasty habits. Who knows how damaging the next bite may be.

Byrd
May 29th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Well this one's not even an inch from my eye!

Geez I really hate this feeling of failure... but we're thinking that this may be why he was given up in the first place. My sister and my mom are both afraid of him and don't want to bring the great nieces/nephews over because they may get bit. :shrug:

Jim Hall
May 29th, 2008, 07:21 PM
its a shame i know but it happpens, and i am sure you gave it your best try and made some progress with her

Byrd
May 29th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Yes, he learned 'down', 'watch me', 'come', and is learning 'stay', since I had him... I just can't deal with the biting. I don't want to have a dog that I have to muzzle just to go to the dog park.

t.pettet
May 29th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Hopefully with any luck he will find a 'working' farm where he can do what he was bred for and get rid of his aggression and frustration.

Byrd
May 29th, 2008, 08:18 PM
We were hoping that flyball would be able to do that. However, he can't play flyball yet, even do recalls, because he nails me everytime we try!

:sad:

Frenchy
May 29th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Did the rescue knew about this behavior ? :confused:

Byrd
May 29th, 2008, 08:31 PM
They said he had issues with mechanical noises and I was working on those issues.... but I didn't know about this issue.

She wanted a list of what sets him off so that they really know what to work on, here's the list:

Anything that sprays, he bites the spray.
Anything with fluid in it that sloshes around, he bites the bottle. Like my contact solution, mousse, whipped cream, Pam, etc
Anything with a mechanical sound, the vacuum, drill, can opener, blender, electric knife, he nails the person using the object, I've been working to desensitize him to this and it was working well.
Tires, we found out the other night that he bites wheels that move, Morgan moved Jordan's wagon and he attacked the tires.
Other dogs and people get him excited, he's nailed me a few times in Radical Recall class because the other dogs were doing recalls and he was being held back. Also he screams like crazy when he sees another dog and can't go see it.

They are coming tomorrow or Saturday to get him. :sad:

Frenchy
May 29th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Tires, we found out the other night that he bites wheels that move,

:eek: this poor dog needs LOTS of work ! :eek:

angeldogs
May 29th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Sorry it didn't work out.he sure does need alot of work.Hopefully the rescue will work on the issues.

Byrd
May 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM
They said that he doesn't seem to display the issues until he gets comfortable. Cindy from BC rescue had him for two days and he was fine, but the foster had him for a few months and noticed the noise issues. I've had him for a month and I've noticed all the issues listed above.

I really don't want to put him through this again, he's really attached to me... but I gave him a chance, and this was the final straw.

TeriM
May 29th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I'm sorry things didn't work out :sad:.

Spatx
May 29th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I'm sorry things didn't work out, but you are doing the right thing. Hopefully they'll be able to work with him and get him to a better point. It's disappointing because he's such a handsome boy, but the biting could easily become more serious. I hope things will go better for you and Willow from now on, it really is a very hard decision you've had to make.

hazelrunpack
May 29th, 2008, 09:59 PM
That's so sad, Byrd. :sad: Poor boy has some really major mental baggage, it sounds like. :grouphug: You tried, hun! It's all you can do...and it doesn't always work out.

want4rain
May 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM
*hugs hugs hugs* what a bummer!! Byrd, you cant win them all. sometimes the mountain is just too high for a mere mortal to climb. arent you and the new DH planning on kids??

-ash

Byrd
May 29th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks guys.

We really don't know about the kid thing, I definitely wouldn't trust him with them though.

He just needs to learn to control himself.

Byrd
May 30th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Well, he's gone, they were nice about it and he was happy to see them, he recognized them. I showed them all he's learned and they were pleased with that and understanding about the issue. I showed them my battered cheek (one of the girls at work asked who punched me) and they understood, everything else I could deal with, but face biting I can't!

What got me to give him back was the liability factor, if he bit a stranger like he bit my friend, what then?

onster
May 30th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I'm sorry it didn't work out Byrd but you really did give him a good push towards his future placement. Identifying his issues as well as teaching basic commands was a great thing.

Also, since ure hubby who is coming soon :fingerscr has little experience with dogs (i assume), suddenly having a dog like Kore with so many issues would have been crazy hard to deal with.

U did the right thing :grouphug:

Byrd
May 30th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Yeah, I thought about the hubby thing too.