Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog swallowed a stone!

Doha
May 29th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Just before dinner my dog, a 5 months old German Sherpherd accidentally swallowed a stone which has a diameter of approximately 3cm. It happened an hour ago and my dog behaves normally. What should I do? What sign and symptom should I watch out for? Will the stone pass out from the other end and how long will this take? If it does not come out, will it cause any internal injury to my dog in the future? Shall I go to the vet as soon as possible? I'm really worry.Thank you for your help.

Dr Lee
May 29th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I would recommend a radiograph study (X-Ray) with your veterinarian. Then she or he can determine if it is best to wait and watch or if further measures, such as surgery, are needed. Any vomiting, abdominal pain or lethargy should be considered a serious clinical sign in light of this history - at this point you cannot wait at all. Your veterinarian my recommend laxatives and/or fiber supplementation if she or he thinks that it is better to wait and watch. Radiographs will help. :pawprint:

Doha
May 29th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Thank you very much for your advice, Dr. Lee. I will refer to my vet as soon as possible, that is tomorrow morning.:fingerscr

Dr Lee
May 30th, 2008, 06:25 PM
How is your puppy? :dog:

Doha
May 31st, 2008, 08:57 AM
Thank you for your concern. I called my vet the next morning and she told me to observe my puppy closely. If he behaves abnormally, rush him to the clinic immedietely. However, my vet told me the stone would most likely come out together with his poop. But till now I have not found any stone in his poop. Anyway, the puppy is playing and eating as usual. May I know what is your advice?

Thank you.:dog:

Jim Hall
May 31st, 2008, 09:37 AM
whats a puppies gut run 36 hrs ?

Dr Lee
June 2nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
whats a puppies gut run 36 hrs ?

Transit times can be rapid in the dog. Here are the transit times.

Gastric transit time is up to 4 hours.
Small intestinal transit time is up to 5 hours.
So for food, in a normal healthy dog without any GI upset, food will move from mouth to colon in 9 hours or less. Once in the colon, the time till it makes a loaf on the grass:yuck: is variable on amount of stool present in the colon.

For those interested, the cat transit times are:
Stomach: 1 hour
Small intestine: 3 hours:pawprint:

Kashi
June 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
For those interested, the cat transit times are:
Stomach: 1 hour
Small intestine: 3 hours:pawprint:

WOW ! That is fast.

Dr Lee
June 2nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
It is fast. I was surprised when I read it and have to re-look it up when I write it out because it always seems so fast. Makes you wonder about a fly's GI transit time!:)