Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hairball vs. 5 lb. dog

t.pettet
May 28th, 2008, 07:12 PM
My poor Phoebe (chi x poodle?) was vomiting on Sunday and Monday within 1/2 hr of eating. Took her to vets on Tues. a.m. and she was x-rayed which showed gray mass in stomach at top of intestines. Barium treatment last night did not dislodge or move it, the blockage completely absorbed the liquid so this a.m. she had surgery and the vet removed a very hard, compact hairball. Have never heard of dogs having hairball issues (they can usually pass them) so was really surprised and yet relieved it wasn't a tumour or grow - just a stupid hairball. Phoebe has gone into the grooming room when there is hair on the floor but I hadn't seen her consuming large quantities, maybe just a taste or two. She is going to be eating a small amount of high fibre canned food every a.m. and staying out of the grooming room so this never happens again.

BusterBoo
May 28th, 2008, 07:21 PM
:shrug: have never heard of a dog having a hairball, but luckily that's all it was (not a tumor!!!)

Looks like you have your own little vacuum cleaner!!!

Hope Phoebe recovers quickly!!! :grouphug:

Frenchy
May 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM
omg what are the odds !! And she had to get surgery for it :sad: Speedy recovery Phoebe ! :fingerscr and stay out of mom's salon ! :p

t.pettet
May 28th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the speedy recovery wishes. I asked the vet if he was sure it was Phoebe he removed the hairball from and not a cat on the other operating table? Being on Orijen which is very low in fibre contributed somewhat which is why he recommended a small amount of high fibre canned food every day. Something to think about for tiny dogs that think they're vacuum cleaners.

Dr Lee
May 28th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I am glad she is okay now. I have seen similar cases, not common but it can happen. :pawprint: