Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Smoke is less two teeth... and up some pretty potent drugs!

krdahmer
May 28th, 2008, 06:04 PM
My poor little Smoke... she looks like a drunken sailor right now. :o The extraction and cleaning went smoothly, and I have her here in the office with me all set up for the next few days. Now if only I could get Palomine (whom she loathes) to just get away from the door... Smoke is camped at the door growling at him as he's reaching his paws under to see whats going on! :frustrated: I think I'll just sit with her a little longer and give her some more lovins.... then I'll go out and put a towel under it and let her get some rest. I'll try soaking some of the food she likes later tonight and see if she'll eat.

They ended up only having to take out 2 instead of 3.... and yet the bill was still $160 more than when Buddy went in! $769! OUCH! I hope these two won't have any more teeth trouble anytime soon!

Oh and we'll see how Smoke likes the Feliway.... it showed up on the porch this morning just in time, so I plugged it in here by the desk. When she's out and about again, I'll move it down to the basement where she is most of the day.

Anyhow just wanted to let you all know she was doing ok. :)

katherine93
May 28th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Awww! glad everything went smoothly! hope she feels better soon :fingerscr

Frenchy
May 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
$769! OUCH!

What ? $769.00 for having 2 removed ? omg ! :eek:

I'm glad it went well ! :thumbs up

otter
May 28th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Aw, poor Smoke :grouphug:
and some extra :goodvibes: for your poor wallet :eek:

onster
May 28th, 2008, 09:19 PM
holy moly! Why so expensive??? ( I have no idea if that's a normal cost for teeth extration)

In any case, hopefully no more teeth problems :fingerscr Hope she's back in tip-top shape soon :grouphug:

krdahmer
May 28th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Well Buddy's was about 600 or so, and Smoke weighs half what he does, so I'd have to look at the bills to figure out why hers was more (considering the actual cost for each removed tooth is only $40.:shrug:

We've had some excitement already, she's still very out of it, but is desperate to get out of the office... clawing under the door etc.... she escaped just a bit ago and I had to chase her around the house and make sure she didn't get under the beds. I've brought in some of her favorite food (the vet dental stuff pureed in a mixer with lots of water) so far it's a no go. I guess that's the problem when you never have closed doors.... when you actually need one closed and left alone, it's suddenly the most exciting thing in your house.:frustrated::rolleyes:

She's so tired she's falling asleep sitting by the door... I think I'm gonna be in the dog house for a while.... she is so mad. So far I am unimpressed with this feliway... :rolleyes: it's supposed to work immediately right? ;) :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
May 29th, 2008, 02:00 AM
My poor little Smoke... she looks like a drunken sailor right now. :o

Now if only I could get Palomine (whom she loathes) to just get away from the door... Smoke is camped at the door growling at him as he's reaching his paws under to see whats going on! :frustrated:

$769! OUCH!

I hate the wobbly-sedative-not-worn-off-yet look :sad: :sad:

:laughing: I can just picture Palomine & Smoke on either side of the door :cat: grrrrrrrrr :cat: :laughing:

I was roughly quoted bwtn $600-$800 for Duffy here in BC so the price is :rolleyes: reasonable if you could call it that :rolleyes:

TeriM
May 29th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Hope Smoke feels better soon :fingerscr.

Love4himies
May 29th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I am glad everything went well for Smoke. Poor girl, needs extra special lovin" :grouphug:

sugarcatmom
May 29th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I paid $813 for Aztec's cleaning and the removal of 3 teeth (including a complicated canine) here in Calgary last September. He got the full-meal deal with that - blood pressure monitoring throughout, pre-surgery IV fluids, antibiotics & really good pain-meds, etc. So ya, that price doesn't seem outta line to me.

Hope Smoke is feeling better!

chico2
May 29th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Awww Dahmer,poor Smoke:grouphug:
I just got my second supply of Feliway plug-ins from the US and it's working really well to keep my kitties from spraying.
Maybe Smoke is sore,or she probably just hates closed doors,like mine would.

That is a lot of money:yell:I hope none of mone need extractions,but what has to be done,has to be done.

My diabetic kitty,Peppi(:rip:)had one tooth extracted about 11yrs ago,it was $150 at the time:cat:

ancientgirl
May 29th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Wow that's a lot of hooch for an extraction. It makes me think I really need to monitor my gang's teeth!

I hope she's doing better today.

On a side note, funny how even kitties have canines. Shouldn't they be called catnines?

14+kitties
May 29th, 2008, 09:33 AM
:grouphug: for poor Smoke. I hope she feels better soon. It's tough being a kitty sometimes when you want to do something and people say no. She probably just wants her basement back.
:evil: Palomine. What's he up to? Just being a bit of a rascal. Silly kitty.
And I sincerly hope that my group does not start with dental issues. $800+ x 21 kitties!!!!!! YIKES!!!!!
:grouphug: to you and Smoke!

krdahmer
May 29th, 2008, 10:13 AM
The patient seems in slightly better spirits today.... she is rolling in the cat tree watching birds out the window so thats good.... although meds did not go over well, not only did I have to touch her mouth, I also put in that terribly bitter antirobe! :yuck: She looked so miffed and even started to kick at her cheek with her back foot.... so I'll have to watch that after I give her meds. I feel so bad like I'm picking on her.... she already gets picked on and harassed by all the other cats, I don't want her to think thats what I'm doing!:sad:

Funny thing though, she would not calm down last night, so I called hubby and put him on speaker phone.... and waalaa! She curled up on the back of her used to be favorite gold rocker (which is now up here in the office) and finally laid her head down! She is such a daddy's girl!

She hasn't drank, eaten or used the box yet... so I'm a little concerned, hoping maybe she's just still a bit out of it, maybe once the meds kick in she'll want to eat a bit. I'll give it until 3ish, thats the 24 hours and then if nothing, I'll call the vet before they leave at 6. Plus I'm giving her Buddy's wet food (which I noticed the past week or so that she comes to finish off once it's a bit crusty:thumbs up) so might have to wait for it to be a bit crusty in a couple hours.

Anyhow Smoke thanks you for the good wishes! (and wants you to know how mean I am... :rolleyes::o )

sugarcatmom
May 29th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Those antirobe drops are nasty!!!! Worst tasting meds ever (I know, I tasted it myself). How long do you have to give them for? Watch out for diarrhea and call your vet immediately if Smoke has any - clindamycin can cause colitis in some cats. If you can get some high-potency probiotics to give her while she's on the antibiotics, that could help.

ancientgirl
May 29th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I feel so bad for her that she gets picked on by the others. I hope she starts to be her old self soon. That's cute how she immediately calmed down when she heard hubby on the phone.:D

krdahmer
May 29th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks SCM, I didn't know about the colitis, I'll keep my eyes peeled, she's been on it for 4 days already as they start them on it 3 days before the procedure, and so far no runny poop. I too tasted it as my vet suggested so I know how yicky it is. Poor girl, I do follow it up with the metacam though, so I hope that helps a bit, it smells pretty sweet.

I think I'll feel better when she eats something.

krdahmer
May 29th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Well she ate a bit, dry food though :shrug:, didn't chew it much so thats good. She had no interest in Buddy's wet food or her favorite that I watered and mushed. But at least she has eaten and had a small drink (she doesn't seem to want to drink but she had a bit and has always only taken what she needs) Right now she is sleeping against my left hand as I type so all is well. She did get in the litter box, but didn't go because Palomine started to rattle the door just as she got in! :frustrated: Bugger! :rolleyes:

Here is her camped out at the door last night falling asleep on her feet! :lovestruck::o

ancientgirl
May 29th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Poor girl. She looks positively p.o'd in that picture.:laughing:

krdahmer
May 29th, 2008, 09:36 PM
You should see her right now! Man is she mad. I just gave her the antirobe again and she HATES it, I think she managed to drool most of it right back out. It was ok when I got to follow it with her treats... but now it's just mean. Does anyone know of an alternative? I'm going to call in the morning to see what else I can give her.... this stuff is just too awful! I haven't opened the new antirobe so hopefully they'll take it back too.

And I think I'll let her retreat to the basement now... where she feels safe. From me!! :yell::sad: (ugh I feel like such a monster!)

sugarcatmom
May 29th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I totally know how you feel. I will never give any cat I know liquid Antirobe again if I can help it. It's just so horrid, and as if the cat doesn't have enough post-surgery stress without being forced to imbibe something as foul as THAT. When I was giving it to Aztec after his dental, he spent the entire time sulking in my bedroom closet. This is a cat that normally follows me everywhere, but as soon as he saw me, he'd run to the closet. Broke my heart. Then by the second day he started having diarrhea. I didn't know at first that this was bad, I just thought it was par for the course for being on antibiotics. On the third day, I was sitting in the computer room and Aztec walked in, pooped liquid on the floor right in front of me, then went back to his closet. Point taken!!! I called the vet and she had me discontinue the Antirobe immediately.

As for something else you can use, Antirobe does come in pill form but it also tastes bad if you don't get it right down the hatch. Ask your vet about Clavamox tablets instead. They can be crushed and mixed with food and are supposed to be relatively tasteless (haven't tasted them myself so I can't verify). Clavamox does have the potential to cause digestive upset in cats but giving it with food helps lessen that possibility. If Smoke won't eat canned food, maybe try plain meat baby food.

krdahmer
May 30th, 2008, 01:56 AM
That is too cute how Aztec made sure to show you his distaste! And I agree I think that is one med I'm going to avoid from now on.... Buddy took it alright, but then he's a lot less delicate that my little Smoke.

I tried the baby food once before.... she is my most stubborn cat about the wet food. The closest I've come to anything wet, is Buddy's leftovers just as they start to get crusty.

I'll ask about the Clavamox, thanks. And seriously, we can make all of our meds taste like fruit now, why can't they make that awful antirobe like chicken flavoured?? :rolleyes:

growler~GateKeeper
May 30th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Hope Smoke is feeling better :grouphug: how cute hearing hubby calmed her right down :cloud9:

Yes everyone should be careful about monitoring and brushing their kitties teeth. Not just for the cost but also the stress of going through surgery and recovery after.

Duffy is on holistic remedies so I'm thankful she doesn't have to taste that stuff :yuck:. btw your bill was better than mine ($1065 :eek:)

chico2
May 30th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I have no idea what Antirobe is,but I agree,they make kids-meds so they taste better,why not for cats:shrug:
Or make all pills in capsule-form so they cannot taste it:shrug:seems to go down easier.
So far Rocky takes his mashed up in a teaspoon of food,but sometimes he tastes it and won't eat:yell:
I hope all the other kitties are nice to poor Smoke today:cat:

krdahmer
May 30th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Well I am officially a monster to Smoke. She even drooled back out most of the metacam this morning and is now holed up under my bed (king size so no way I can reach her). I called the vet and they said it has to be antirobe for dental procedures? So I am waiting for a call back so I can go pick up capsules, although I suspect that will also do no good as she doesn't like me touching her mouth and because of the antirobe, she was drooling excessively before I even put in the metacam. Argh! I just wish you could explain to them that it's going to make them feel better.... I tried and she's not buying it! :rolleyes: And she is so dainty and delicate I am affraid to man handle her like I do Buddy to administer the meds....I should have left her alone in the office a little longer I think, but she is so much calmer out, well except for when I try to give the meds of course. Hopefully she'll be back out by the time I get back with the pills so I can traumatize her again.:sad: :shrug:

And it'll be at least 9 more days like this... at least I know she'll eventually forgive me.... Buddy did:fingerscr. And really he wasn't 100% until the stitches were gone.

14+kitties
May 30th, 2008, 12:02 PM
:grouphug: to you and Smoke. I am sure deep down she knows you are trying to help her. I feel the same when I have to give my kits something. Right now it's Squeak with the Clavamox but she is almost done. She runs from me too. They seem to know when you have that bottle in your hand.

Is she more comfortable in her lair? I would imagine being in a spot that is not her usual would be a little stressful for her too. I am keeping my :fingerscr for you. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
May 30th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I'm sorry you and Smoke are having such a tough time of it. I hate giving mine medication. The only one I've had to give it to often is Kiska, and that was Clavamox. I felt the same way you did, she's so small and delicate, I didn't want to hold her too roughly.

I hope you can get the pills. If you don't have one already, ask if they can give you one of those pill shooters. I've seen it being used at my vets office and it works pretty good.

sugarcatmom
May 30th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I called the vet and they said it has to be antirobe for dental procedures?

While Antirobe does target dental bacteria, Clavamox (broader spectrum) would still work, so I disagree.

So I am waiting for a call back so I can go pick up capsules,

You must absolutely positively follow the Antirobe caps with a chaser of water or food. There is a big risk of these getting stuck in the esophagus and causing painful erosive esophagitis. More info here: http://www.catinfo.org/pillingcats.htm

she was drooling excessively before I even put in the metacam.

This is why I'm a big fan of using a Fentanyl pain patch in dental cases instead of oral pain meds. There's consistent delivery which gradually tapers off over 5 days and you don't have to fiddle with a sensitive mouth.

And it'll be at least 9 more days like this... .

Wow, more than 10 days on antibiotics seems like a lot to me, although granted, I don't know all the details of Smoke's situation. When Aztec had his dental, he was only prescribed Antirobe for 5 days twice a day (ended up only half of that because of the diarrhea), and he's diabetic (which would technically make it harder for him to fight infections). So ya, I feel your pain!! I think if I had to pill Aztec for 10 days of anything, I'd make the vets come over and do it! lol That just wouldn't go over well with him at all.

hazelrunpack
May 30th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Poor Smoke...she sounds pretty miserable! But at least the procedure went well! :grouphug:

Heal up fast, Smoke! :goodvibes: :cat: :goodvibes:

phoozles
May 30th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Aww, Smoke - poor thing! :grouphug:

krdahmer
May 30th, 2008, 11:28 PM
You must absolutely positively follow the Antirobe caps with a chaser of water or food. There is a big risk of these getting stuck in the esophagus and causing painful erosive esophagitis. More info here: http://www.catinfo.org/pillingcats.htm

This is why I'm a big fan of using a Fentanyl pain patch in dental cases instead of oral pain meds. There's consistent delivery which gradually tapers off over 5 days and you don't have to fiddle with a sensitive mouth.

Wow, more than 10 days on antibiotics seems like a lot to me,

You always have such great info SCM! Thanks again, the tech did mention that I could follow it with water.... good thing I did! She was a bit leary when I first grabbed her, but the pill went down fine, and she freaked a bit at first when I squirted the water in, but then after a second or two realized it didn't taste bad and calmed right down, even stayed long enough for me to get her a few treats! :thumbs up And I had no idea there even was a patch (although wouldn't they chew at it?- I don't like to use the c-collars).

The antibiotics are 3 days prior and then 10 days after, so we got 8 days of pills today. It was the same for Buddy. :shrug: Not sure if thats a lot or not.

And thanks for all the :goodvibes: guys, she came to see me when I was on the couch and even took up her spot on the back of the chair in the living room tonight... even stuck around a bit after having her pill too! So we are making progress! :highfive: From now on all her meds will be in pill form. MUCH easier.

Oh and I did get one of those pillers Ancient, but the look on Smoke's face said that was gonna be a fight, so I just did it by hand.... I can hand pill all of them but Palomine (he bites too hard if my hand slips).

Thanks again guys for the support and advice and encouragement! It is always appreciated! :D:grouphug:

And Growler I keep kicking myself.... I kicked myself for not asking for Buddy's teeth.... and then forgot to ask for Smoke's too! Duh. The only ones I have are Windy's two baby teeth I knocked out while we were playfighting when she was a kitten.:o

growler~GateKeeper
May 31st, 2008, 01:17 AM
Very glad Smoke is out & about to her fave spots today :thumbs up :goodvibes: for continued pilling success & great recovery :goodvibes:

One more reason I love homeopathy.......Duffy has 1 pain/healing remedy to give as needed for the 1st 24hrs and a 2nd one to give once a day for 5 days. No liquid, no pills (it's granule) and there's no foul taste & not too much struggling - Duffy just doesn't like me in her mouth but that's nothing new I'm always checking tarter on teeth makes her :frustrated: :cat:

Yeah I used to have Duffy & :rip::cat: Mischief baby teeth after finding them on the floor but :shrug: don't know what happened to them :sad: I do however have the teeth they pulled :D

sugarcatmom
May 31st, 2008, 11:35 AM
And I had no idea there even was a patch (although wouldn't they chew at it?- I don't like to use the c-collars).

For Aztec, they stuck the patch at the very base of his tail (shaved it first), and then wrapped it in gauze and tape. He completely ignored it. I think the drugs were so good that he was just like "hey man, everything's groooooooovy". He wasn't zonked, just doing normal stuff in a mellow way with occasional episodes of staring at the wall. Ya, I don't do cones either (Aztec freaks out so bad that he's at greater risk with one on than off). But I do love those pain patches!

Anyway, glad that Smoke is doing better. Hopefully those evil drops will be a distant memory and she finishes up the rest of her meds like a trooper.

krdahmer
May 31st, 2008, 12:07 PM
That sounds so much easier than the metacam, next time we have to have a procedure that requires pain meds I'll request the patch! And same reason here for the c-collar... we had Fagan in one for a while when he first started chewing his belly before we knew what it was, he got so depressed and lost interest in everything (after he was done freaking out and running into things trying to knock it off), which I think was worse than him having some sores on his belly.

Meds went well again this mornin as she jumped on the bed for her mornin treats as usual, although she was still not impressed with the metacam:rolleyes:. I think nightime will be much easier with just the pill. And I think there are only two more metacams!:thumbs up