Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pets and febreeze

CJPARSONS80
July 1st, 2004, 04:11 PM
I was thinking of getting Febreeze for my furniture and bed clothes just to make the house feel fresher (even though as a pet lover the "smell" of animals hardly bothers me). I heard it causes cancer in humans so I checked a few websites and I found claims that it can kill pets. Can someone clear this up for me, is it a myth or has it just not been proven either way. Thanks.

heidiho
July 1st, 2004, 04:15 PM
I just have to say it seems sometimes here it just goes overboard on all these things that are bad for your pet,i have never heard such a thing,not picking on you,i just read things here and sometimes think people are just a little paranoid....................It seems like we should keep our pet in a bubble.......................

rebel24
July 1st, 2004, 04:19 PM
i have to agree with heidiho i have never heard such a thing. i use febreeze in my house all the time and have had no problems with us or the dogs.

chico2
July 1st, 2004, 04:44 PM
We did discuss it here a while ago,apparently Febreeze has something similar to anti-freeze as an ingredient and supposedly two dogs died from it.
The manufacturer says it is not so,I for one stopped using it,firstly it's expensive,secondly any airfreshener will do the same job and why take a chance with my cats,it's just not worth the risk.

heidiho
July 1st, 2004, 04:49 PM
It just seems everything gets analyzed so much everyone would be paranoid,like what about carpet fresh,house sprays,and so on...........

sammiec
July 1st, 2004, 04:57 PM
Here's a previous thread about a similar topic - Swiffer Wet Jet. I have not had a problem with using Febreeze with my pets. I tend to try and keep them off the furniture until it is dried while using the product - same with the carpet deodourizer and such.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=4277&highlight=swiffer

chico2
July 1st, 2004, 05:04 PM
Sammiec.that's right it was Swiffer Wet-Jet we were talking about,not Febreeze,my misstake :rolleyes:

sammiec
July 1st, 2004, 05:06 PM
No problem. I think they are made of a similar ingredient. I have looked and I haven't been able to find anything stating that it is dangerous for dogs. I might have over looked something though ... Luba can probably find something for or against this claim...LOL ;)

heidiho
July 1st, 2004, 05:22 PM
People need to stop looking for things that could be bad for your pet,i just cant believe how many things i see here that people to me just want to have something to be a problem,not sure if that makes sense i cant find the right way to word it....not trying to cause a fight,just something i have noticed here,alot of people think everything is bad for pet...I do love this site dont get me wrong........................

sammiec
July 1st, 2004, 05:33 PM
I think it's all just concern and love of their animals heidi. There are a number of things that you wouldn't consider harmless to animals - like househould plants, but some are deadly if your animal eats them.
There will forever be inquiries about what causes cancer and is dangerous for the health of you and your dog. For a long time - and even still I think - there are talks that drinking out of a pop can will cause cancer. It sounds rediculous, but it's out of concern that people question it - you just want to be able to rule things out. Keeping your pets health and safe is very important, and they need our help to ensure that.

heidiho
July 1st, 2004, 05:49 PM
And i understand that completley,i just think sometimes it seems to go to the extremes that's all.......

glasslass
July 1st, 2004, 08:09 PM
This is an internet hoax! Whenever I hear something like this, I go to Hoaxbusters. This is their site.

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org

Just click on Search and type in Swiffer and all kinds of stuff comes up regarding this hoax. :p

glasslass
July 1st, 2004, 08:14 PM
One of the links on Hoaxbusters is from the ASPCA

http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=16054&security=2220&news_iv_ctrl=1400

rebel24
July 1st, 2004, 08:40 PM
that link to hoax busters didn't work. that bites(no pun intended)

sammiec
July 1st, 2004, 08:42 PM
both worked for me :confused:

glasslass
July 1st, 2004, 09:37 PM
You can type "internet hoaxes" into google and it'll bring up Hoaxbusters as one of the 1st links. :)

rebel24
July 1st, 2004, 10:16 PM
it just gave me a blank screen when i came to that site. :confused:

Karin
July 1st, 2004, 10:21 PM
www.snopes.com.

Is another site..

Spoiled
July 1st, 2004, 10:28 PM
People need to stop looking for things that could be bad for your pet

I am always carful. With pet treats, I look at the ingredients. If there is anything that looks and is bad (like propelyn glycol, the first ingredient in antifreeze) I don't buy them. I actualy make my own dog treats at home, because I can't find a treat store bought that my dog likes.

If we go for a walk, I'm always looking for poop, broken glass, garbage, leftover food, and hazards like that that could harm my dog.

The truth is I'm always looking at ingredients and stuff like that because I want my dog to be healthy.

Luba
July 1st, 2004, 11:24 PM
FYI

Indoor air fresheners especially spray chemicals and plug 'in' air fresheners actually cause 'indoor' pollution and smog in your home. So the air in your house is more polluted then the air outside of your home.

It's worth it NOT to use this crap, I never do...my house doesn't stink. I just prefer to use non toxic products!

*Good for you Spoiled, thats my girl!!*

glasslass
July 2nd, 2004, 01:16 AM
I wish someone would monitor what I eat like I do for Den-Den! It's harder to do what I know is good for me. :o

glasslass
July 2nd, 2004, 01:39 AM
I made homemade dogbones years ago. We had a trespasser come into our backyard one morning. It was at a time when a serial rapist was terrorizing Sacramento (about 1 1/2 hrs. away - not close). Everyone was nervous about leaving sliding doors unlocked, etc. The police officer who came out kept looking over at my drainboard and I realized he was looking at the dogbones on a cooling rack! I think he thought they were homemade marijuana brownies or something the way he kept looking at them. I explained what they were and gave him a baggy full for his police dog out in the car. Never heard if the woofer liked them! :p

Rhonda Rae Gibs
July 2nd, 2004, 03:42 AM
I wouldn't worry so much about the Febreeze, cats are smart about poisons that have an oder, they'll stay away from it usually. I am very fond of perfume, and everytime I spray any my kitty runs super fast out of the entire room, same goes for hairspray. Take care......

CJPARSONS80
July 2nd, 2004, 09:33 AM
well to heidiho, maybe I am being paranoid but I would rather ask a question then buy it and have it be potentially harmful to my animals. If you haven't heard anything about it just type febreeze into any search engine and you will see various sites addressing this topic. Even the Febreeze website addresses the topic. It was a simple question and I don't think you needed to rant on about people going overboard about things that could hurt their pet and your statement, quote "People need to stop looking for things that could be bad for your pet" is ridciulous, we can't stop looking for products that could harm or even kill our pets. Anyway since you put your two cents into this thread I thought I would answer but I really thought you wasted a lot of space ranting about nothing when you could have stayed on topic and given a good answer like Luba did or glasslass.

Luba
July 2nd, 2004, 10:48 PM
There are some very safe alternatives, check out your local health food store :D

Catt31
July 4th, 2004, 01:28 PM
When we first got Brick a few months ago, he was itching and scratching and nibbling his legs and feet. We knew it wasn't food allergies, so we narrowed it down to "oust" a product just like Febreeze. We figure he is allergic to it, and it really bothered him. Once we stopped using it, he was fine, no more itchy and scratchy shows!!! I doubt there is enough chemical to kill an animal unless they ingest it, but we just choose to not use it anymore!

Luba
July 4th, 2004, 02:03 PM
I rememba when dat happen too :D

Catt31
July 4th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Yeppersssssss!!! He is good now! :D :D :D

Rizzobitz
July 31st, 2004, 04:47 PM
I was just looking up what chemical properties are in Febreeze when I found your post. My son had exposure to Febreeze this last Friday and he's not the same since. His eyes look like he's mentally retarded now, which he is anyways but he's with autism and never has looked abnormal. Now he has epicanthal forlds and very thick in between his eyes. He had a severe reaction to it after rolling on my mothers carpet after she had sprayed some on the day before. i think it wise to consider any chemicals in your house. They affect us all. That's why we don't live to be hundreds of years old like Noah... and if you want to believe all the bologna being produced by the government on us living longer, why don't you look in the obituaries. People in the older generation are dying older, but people are now getting otns of deadly diseases earlier and earlier and you can blaim them directly on our un-natual foods and toxins we're exposed to.

we all make our own decisions though. I wish you luck.

melanie
July 31st, 2004, 07:21 PM
as far as looking for dangerous products in our purchases goes- well in this day and age a miriad of man made chemicals and synthetic materials are made up in labs out of god knows what and go into our everyday products. many of these products are made out of materials i have never heard fo or even pronounce, i personally find this quite worrysome. as we have seen many times there are often unwanted affects associated with using and relying on chemicals, for eg- the incedence of brain tumor in children has risen by 10% in the last 20 years, simply put as a result of modern lifestyle and pollutants, products such as margarine have thousands of manmade chemcals in them, hmmmm yum, and shockingly many of the chemicals in foods have actually been found to alter our behaviour, health and emotions. so i think it is very important to know what we put into oursleves and our pets, i will not give my dog anything i dont understand and will not use chemicals on her body, my general rule is if i cannot squirt it in her eye safely i dont use it on her body, i only bath with baby shampoo and never use tick stuff etc. she only eats a natural diet.
as far as fabreeze goes- well i have been using the stuff for years, BUT i do not use it on the floors or furniture, it is onyl for curtains. i dont use it anywhere my dog can go, and i use it sparinly, she has never had any adverse reactions. for the furniture and floors i use eucalyptus oil spray, used sparingly it gives a nice fresh scent to a room and lasts a fair while, i aslo wash my floors with eucalyptus oil and find it really freshens the place up. :D

Cactus Flower
July 31st, 2004, 09:00 PM
Febreze being harmful to pets supposedly started as an internet hoax email.

The bottle sitting right in front of me on my desk says:
"IAMS- recommended by Iams. Safe to use around cats and dogs"

"Ingredients: Contains water, alcohol, odor eliminator derived from corn, organic polymer, fragrance"

Taken from websites:

"The National Animal Poison Control Center, an organization under the aegis of the ASPCA, tells us that they have no evidence that Febreze, when used according to label instructions, is harmful to pets. In fact, they say it's "now approved by the ASPCA for safe use around cats and dogs."

"Since December, 1998, there have been Internet rumors circulating stating that Febreze may not be safe to use around pets. These rumors are not true. Used as directed, Febreze is safe to use around pets. " (Febreze website)

Just for the record, when I am spraying Febreze allergen reducer around the house, I've been known to give Raja a few sprays as well! I also thoroughly spray her beds. My son has pet allergies/asthma and my Mom (who is moving in with us) has pet allergies/asthma. As long as I keep everything well-dusted, vacuum regularly, brush Raj often and use Febreze allergen reducer- everything is fine. Hope this holds true when Mom moves in!

Rizzobitz
August 1st, 2004, 09:08 AM
Thank you for your reply Melanie. I quite agree with your stance on eucalyptus and natural products. Daniel has been on an organic diet, free from toxins in our home... I switched to stainless steel pots and pans and removed some of our carpet (planning to remove the rest soon), he's been with glass baby bottles instead of plastic, healthy organic cleaners, dish soap, laundry detergent, chlorine free diapers after finding out that his allergy to chloral hydrate is a bleach by product. We now have aromatherapy with this beautiful glass bowl and rock that has a fogging type machine I bought from BioGro.

Daniel has been doctor free for 5 months now. the longest EVER! He was in the hospital every 6-10 weeks before me switching his diet and cleaning up our chemical life.

It has been really hard seeing him digress with the Fabreeze. I consider Daniel a geiger counter. We might not see a visible response in us right now to these chemicals, but you can better believe, that it will affect us in the long term . Children and adults like Daniel will show us what we should avoid in our lives to live healthier and longer.

The only things proven to cause autoimmune disorders after birth are chemcials. This alcohol in fabreeze is called ethanol. It's found in gasoline. It's manmade, not an organic alcohol our bodys know what to do with, nor should a child or pet be consuming it, nor are all pets going to tolerate it the same as the ones in their safety trials. I consider all chemcials dangerous until proven innocent, and considering the trials do not include the fact that we are bombarded with ALL KINDS of chemcials on a daily basis putting stress on our P450 genetic pathway that flushes these toxins, we should be good to our bodies and get rid of as many chemcicals as possible. Autistic kids are known to have their p450 pathway in the liver defective. This is the pathway that flushes toxins. Toxin build up can cause this gene to malfunction.

Thimerozal is found in vaccines and is proven to cause calcium loading apoptosis in the brain, heart, and skeletal muscle. this apoptosis means sudden cell death. Yet we give this chemcial to our children and pets without ever fighting it. My son has a calcium loading apoptosis gene missing on chromosome 12p13.3. to me this might have been prevented had he not been given the vaccines...so would the double pneumonia and 106.5 fever he developed within 2 days of last years flu vaccine. They refused to report this to the vaccine company. How many times does this happen where they don't report adverse affects?

Daniel now has diabetes mellitus from proton pump inhibitors they had him on. He developed dementia, dialated pupils, brain wasting, violence, and now diabetes... I have gotten rid of the dementia and dialated pupils through antioxidants like Acerola fruit which contains a lot of good vitamin C, but these chemicals have still damaged his body permanently.

We'll never stop these pharmaceutical and chemical greed factories until the world gets so bad that we haven't got a choice but to take notice.

Getting off subject a bit, but I also have an issue with nutrition in the world. We do not take in the fats we need to maintain health. DHA and ARA are found in breast milk as apprx. 100% of the fats the baby gets in the womb and through the milk. These fats have to be supplemented in the diet to be available for the baby. They can help prevent heart disease, obeisity, arteriosclerosis, brain wasting diseases, and more (notice all the chubby children out there now? all those bad fats durring and after pregnancy greatly contribute).

All diseases I have researched so far are a malfunctioning of fat storage in the body. Providing the body with the fats that myelinate the brain and muscles and organs, helps the body function as it was meant to. All these "food intoleraces" you seee now adays are because we need DHA and ARA in order to digest our foods and flush toxins. It myelinates the body's peroxisomes and carries out the bodys ability to reporduce properly functioning DNA to make it able to carry out all functions of the body. DHA is in 90% of breast milk. It can be gotten as DHA neuromins if you're hesitant to buy fish oil or eat fish like salmon. ARA is hard to find as a stand alone supplement, but is in all white fish (halibut and tilapia are great). It can be gotten as Conjugated linoleic Acid, also known as "CLA, tonalin". The body breaks CLA down and into ARA (arachidonic acid). Daniel was tested for his fats via organic acid test that the doctors refused to release to me until last week, over 6 months after taking the test. I have been putting all the pieces together for these 6 months, doing genome sequences on my son to find out what his problems and nutritional needs are and now I have proof of his disease with these tests. It's called Zellweger syndrome. it's on his genetics deletion and he has presented with the signs and been sensitive to the exact chemicals that degrade a body of a Zellweger person (such as proton pump inhibitors).

Well, sorry for such a long note. I like to help all children and adults in need of medical articles and knowledge of what they are suffering with. Anyone in need can feel free to contact me.

I wish you all health, knowledge and the desire not to comform and swallow what drug companies feed you. For yourself and those you hold dear.