Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chondriaton - a question

JanM
May 28th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I went to the store to get Chondriaton and MSM to add to Bobby's Glucosamine supplement but did not get the Chondriaton. What stopped me was a warning about possible bowel side effects and another warning about "be sure to check with your physician if this is being taken long term".

I'm very cautious about medicines of any kind and wonder if anyone has any insights into these two label warnings.

JanM
May 28th, 2008, 10:28 PM
just bumping this up...

TeriM
May 28th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I have used the Gluco/chondo/MSM combo together with no problems at all. I currently actually use the liquid formulation http://www.wellesse.com/ that I buy at Costco. I find the liquid stuff seems to work the best for my guys, I think the absorption is a bit better :shrug:. I would be sure to give it with meals just as an added precaution.

JanM
May 29th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I have used the Gluco/chondo/MSM combo together with no problems at all. I currently actually use the liquid formulation http://www.wellesse.com/ that I buy at Costco. I find the liquid stuff seems to work the best for my guys, I think the absorption is a bit better :shrug:. I would be sure to give it with meals just as an added precaution.

Thanks, TeriM - I've read posts where it seems lots of people use it but when I read the precautions it made me think twice for sure! Since Bobby already has so many digestive problems I'm reluctant to use anything new that might make it worse!

Maybe I looked at the wrong product - the one I was looking at said to feed between meals. I'll go back today and check again...

Longblades
May 29th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I wonder if you should just ask your Vet about it? I used it and swear by it, for our Lab girl. But my sister's BC, who also had a lot of digestive issues, cannot take it. It did cause some kind of bowel problem as he had blood in his stool.

I used the capsules because they were easier but I have also read the absorption rate is better with the liquid.