Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Border Collie Puppy Messes In Same Spot

cynlee
May 28th, 2008, 12:43 PM
My border collie puppy has done rather well with the training except he messes in the same spot in my dining room everyday. He is given a lot of attention and is taken out regularly. He will mess outside as well, but more often than not chooses to wait until he is inside and then goes in the dining room. I keep my eye on him constantly, but it only takes a second for him to disappear. He knows he has done wrong because when I discover what he has done he slinks away. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have two Shelties as well so I'm not new to this. Thanks again.

Chaser
May 28th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Is your dining room carpeted? The smell may be sinking in and luring him him back....hard for them to resist. I got a portable steam cleaner (Bissell Little Green) that really seemed to stop this from happening.

But if you don't have carpet...then I have no idea! :confused:

Good luck!

sugarcatmom
May 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Can you close off his access to the dining room? He probably shouldn't have so much freedom in your home until he's 100% on the house-training. Keep him under your complete supervision at all times and if you can't be watching him, he needs to go in a crate.

cynlee
May 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
The dining room is hardwood...go figure lol. Guess it will just take time. Thanks for replying.

14+kitties
May 28th, 2008, 03:16 PM
You need to find a product that will remove the smell of the urine or feces off the floor. You may not smell it but he can and that is why he goes back to the same spot all the time. Once that is gone then he may stop. He's a puppy, there may be accidents.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:L2P6cfXKEAYJ:www.planeturine.com/dsp_hardwood.cfm+products+for+removing+urine+smell s+from+hardwood+floor&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ca

http://stason.org/TULARC/animals/dogs/assorted-faq/021-Removing-Odors-and-Stains.html

Just a couple of sites for ideas.

Make sure whatever you use does not have ammonia in it. That is in animal urine and will draw them back to that spot.