Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nail "cutter"

Frenchy
May 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I need to buy another / bigger one , for Nelly. It took me one year before she let me trim her nails (the vet would do it with my help :p) I did it twice , but now , she hates it. She yelped a bit for 2 nails out of 3 that I trimmed last Sunday . I did not cut the quirk , she was zooming right after so I know she wasn't hurt ! She's just a big wuss ... anyway , I figured maybe a bigger one would make it easier for me and her. The only big pet store here is JE Mondoux. If I want the best quality , should I go to the store or to the vet clinic ?

I use the guillotine ones.

Winston
May 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Frenchy I use the same type and I have yet to find a good pair anywhere in the local pets stores..My vet doesnt sell them..But I did find one good pair at a pet show...those now need to be replaced...I find that because I have a big dog the ones you buy just dont work well and are very cheaply made.....If you have the metal one and you like it, I heard that you can buy replacement blades for them??

Cindy

Frenchy
May 28th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I heard that you can buy replacement blades for them??

Cindy

hummm , I will ask my vet as I bought it there. It's good with the goldens but a bigger one would be more suitable for Nelly. I guess I will take Nelly and ask my vet to do her nails and see if they have extra-large ones :laughing:

I never had any problems trimming the goldens nails but Nelly :eek: omg !!

Chris21711
May 28th, 2008, 01:10 PM
We have the bigger one for the Bassets, their nails are super thick, I don't know where Ethel got it, I will ask her. Their groomer lifts their feet behing them bent at the knee that way they can't really see but they are tied. Doing Reb's nails is a Holy nightmare, Skip lays on the floor while someone else tickles his belly. The others co-operate.

hazelrunpack
May 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
We used to use the guillotine ones, but they get dull too fast so we switched to a scissors-action one. They work much better and don't dull up nearly as quickly. :shrug: Seems like for bigger nails, they're much easier to use :thumbs up well, for hazel, anyway. :D She has wimpy hands

Longblades
May 28th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I have read that the scissors action one is more uncomfortable for some dogs who are sensitive to the compression that occurs before the nail is cut. The guill ..... wait, have to scroll down to see how it is spelled, :) ...guillotine one slices as it goes. Or have you tried a dremel?

t.pettet
May 28th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I have a set of Rosco Guillotine (yellow) for large dogs and got them from Pet Supply House for $13.95. They're large enough to accommodate a Saint Bernard.

otter
May 28th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I've heard some people really like the scissor ones but i've always stuck with the guillotine ones... the real trick being to make sure they are always sharp. Actually, I don't trim nails much, I don't know why but Chloes nails never needed trimming and even Molly seems to be keeping hers in check, maybe it's all that time running on the beach :D

Oh and i'd totally recommend checking out the Pet Supply House (in Guelph, ON but they mail order) cause they carry all the stuff groomers use - much better selection than any pet store i've seen.

And Nelly... TOUGHEN UP!!:thumbs up silly girl:lovestruck:

Frenchy
May 28th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Or have you tried a dremel?
I remember M3X posting about this , and just googled it , no thanks :laughing:
I have a set of Rosco Guillotine (yellow) for large dogs and got them from Pet Supply House for $13.95. They're large enough to accommodate a Saint Bernard.
Funny you're mentioning St-Bernard :cloud9:

And Nelly... TOUGHEN UP!!:thumbs up silly girl:lovestruck:
I told her she was a big wuss and that was her reply to me : http://bestsmileys.com/tongs/10.gif

You guys are right , I will look for a new blade. I never thought about getting a new one :headslap:

aslan
May 28th, 2008, 09:33 PM
quincy was a big weenie about it too, he would watch me intently when i would file my nails so one day i lightly filed a couple of his, now he comes and puts his paw in my lap if i'm filing. Easier to clip now that he's used to having his feeties played with.

Frenchy
May 28th, 2008, 09:44 PM
quincy was a big weenie about it too, he would watch me intently when i would file my nails so one day i lightly filed a couple of his, now he comes and puts his paw in my lap if i'm filing. Easier to clip now that he's used to having his feeties played with.

I play with her paws all the time ... but maybe I should try your idea :thumbs up

I hate cutting their nails. :sad:

otter
May 28th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I hate cutting their nails. :sad:
If you want to bring Nelly over here :laughing:, i'd be happy to do it for you (no matter how Wussy she is) :D:D

Oh, and the dremel thing scares the heck out of me too.... that thing is deadly :eek:

Frenchy
May 28th, 2008, 10:04 PM
If you want to bring Nelly over here :laughing:, i'd be happy to do it for you (no matter how Wussy she is) :D:D

14 hour drive .... :laughing: but we would get to see the beach :cloud9:

otter
May 28th, 2008, 10:10 PM
14 hour drive .... :laughing: but we would get to see the beach :cloud9:
and the beach acts as a natural nail file :D

Boubou
May 28th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Why don't you bring the gang over to see us on a Saturday - it would be a great excuse to get to see Nelly....we're there if you need us! And it should only take about 15 minutes for all 3...

TeriM
May 28th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I much prefer the scissor type as well. It is way easier to take tiny bits off at a time plus you can kinda work around the sides as well to get closer to the quik.

Nelly, be good for your mom http://bestsmileys.com/misbehaving/5.gif

ancientgirl
May 29th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I use a guillotine right now for my gang, but I just ordered something called Peticure (http://www.peticure.com/) It's similar to a dremmel, but it has a guard on it. Mine aren't crazy about having their nails cut but Oksana gets downright nasty when I do her. Plus there is always that fear of cutting their quick. I'm hoping this new thing will be safer for them. One quick file and that's it.

Frenchy
May 29th, 2008, 12:47 PM
And it should only take about 15 minutes for all 3...

annnnddd , $20.00 worth of gas just to get there :laughing:

DoubleRR
May 29th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I prefer the scissors type, and dremels work very well too.

Frenchy
May 29th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I bought a new blade for the guillotine and I bought the scissor type too :

http://www.bamboopet.com/all_products/detail.php?ID=514371219&nID=2z2

Tried it on the boys and I like it. TRY to get Nelly but nope .... I will have to tire her out this week end and will get her while she's exhausted :laughing:

Winston
May 29th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Frenchy! I tried that one for Winston and it did not work for me! His nails are large and that one there didnt cut correctly all the way through...it also made a popping type noise and Winston hated it! Glad you could get a replacement blade too!

Does Nelly like cheese slices? Thats how I got Winston to like it..I would lay the cheese on the floor and he would have to let me do all the nails and he gets his cheese...in the beginning I used 1 slice per paw..now we are down to 1 or none....

Cindy

Cindy

Frenchy
May 29th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I would lay the cheese on the floor and he would have to let me do all the nails and he gets his cheese...

I think I would have to lay on her so she wouldn't get to the cheese first :laughing: