Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My kitty "Dinker Potts"...

Rhonda Rae Gibs
July 1st, 2004, 09:07 AM
I have a BEAUTIFUL 8 year old female long haired Russian Blue that is so smart she obeys spoken commands and even does tricks like a dog every time without fail and learned these things almost immediatly when I taught her. I'm worried and am looking for insites on her health, though....because she has never been sick until now. At 2:00 in the morning a sudden illness hit her hard, and her left eye was POURING thick clear mucas and she had very light almost white colored runny stools and her normally nice scented saliva aroma on her furr after she cleans herself began to have an almost "bitter" scent to it. Her ears were very very hot to the touch and she appeared weak but her appetite was still OK but not as abundant. Also, every spot that she used her saliva on to clean herself made the furr sticky and stick up almost like hair spray were on it. I am perflexed. I took her to the vet, he did the full bloodtest thing and also rule out leukemia per my request. I asked him about poisons but he did not think that were the case, especially since rarely is outdoors and for no more than minutes at a time and never leaves the yard or go into the driveway or road - she's way too smart for that. I had a concern about our recent TERMITE treatment around our home since when she is outside she runs to those tall thick grass blades and eats them but the vet did not seem concerned with my concern that the tall grass blades for eating may have been contaminated with TERMITE poison. Does ANYBODY recognize such symtoms in a kitty? Dinker Potts has never been sick, and this illness hit her SUDDENLY. She's so smart, we would all be so devistated if something were to happen to her. (she even thinks she can type, loves to get on my lap and force her paws on the PC keyboard when I'm online and gets mad if I try to move her positions....lol). :confused: :confused:

Lucky Rescue
July 1st, 2004, 09:35 AM
Cats are very sensitive to chemicals, and dont' even need to directly ingest them to be poisoned. Just walking on them is enough, since cats will lick any residue off their feet.

Termite poison is usually put in places that cats can't get to, but if any was spilled on the grass or anywhere around your property (or the property was treated with any other herbicides/insecticides) and you let your cat out, she could have gotten a dose of it.

You might want to call the national poison control and discuss it with them.

"Poison Control Center. Alternately, call the National Animal Poison Control Center at (800)548-2423 or (900)680-0000."

Rhonda Rae Gibs
July 1st, 2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks, I'm calling them this morning. My husband (just before her sudden illness) was replacing the bathroom floor and using caulking and I wonder if she stepped on that and licked it. Thank you so much for those phone numbers. :D

Lucky Rescue
July 1st, 2004, 10:39 AM
OH, and welcome to the board! :)

I hope your kitty will be okay. Be sure and let us know.