Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Roundworms

14+kitties
May 26th, 2008, 09:29 AM
After spending every day but one at the vets last week with Squeak or Tiny Tim I think we are finished with seeing them for a while. :fingerscr Except for Sam needing to go in for her heartworm test and meds that is.

The test results came back and the vet phoned at 8:30 this morning. No giardia Thank Cat but was positive for roundworms. So I trekked the 3 kittens down to see him. He weighed and wormed them and gave me a pill for mom. Chip and Dale both weighed 12 ounces. Tiny Tim weighs 6 ounces. I am searching for a diet for him that will be easy on his tiny belly. Hopefully the deworming will get rid of a lot of the diarrhea but when he is this tiny he will always have issues. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. They gave me a few sample packs of MediCal Development Formula but I am not comfortable with that.

Best thing about this visit - he didn't charge for deworming or visit! He only charged me for the pill for mom. Fantastic!!! He didn't charge for the visit for Squeak on Saturday either. Just for the meds and IV she needed.

Second best thing - Mom let me put the pill in her mouth and she swallowed it! I think I may be making headway with her. :thumbs up Not bad for a kitty who was completely feral 2 weeks ago.

hazelrunpack
May 26th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Sounds like progress! :thumbs up So when can you reasonably expect to see improvement now that they've gotten the meds?

:fingerscr and :goodvibes: for a quick recovery! :cat:

14+kitties
May 26th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks Hazel. The bigger 2 never had a real problem with the runs. Only Tiny Tim. We are still fighting that. He eats like a little machine but it goes right through him. I have to try to keep him on just one thing for a while but that is tough when he is still with mom. :fingerscr it will be soon. I am constantly cleaning the floors of little poop trails. :yuck:
So next thing is finding another crate for just the kitties. At this moment there are 10 cats/kitties in the house, 14 in the catuary, and 2 more ferals outside with who knows how many babies.

Chris21711
May 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Sounds like you are making progress 14+k, but you have your work cut out for you. Nice to have a Vet that appreciates what you are doing.

Have you had any luck on locating the feral kittens outside?

krdahmer
May 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Wow... .lots of excitement over there huh! Glad to hear it's just worms...yucky as they are... they are easy to get rid of. As for the vet food, I don't like it either, but it does work. When Fagan started with his issues and we weren't sure if it was food related I fed them the vet gastro food while I researched an alternative. It really did do wonders for them. (And got them off the recalled Nutro food just 6 months before the recall!) And it wasn't a long term solution, more of a bandaid. Hopefully once Tiny Tim is rid of those pesky worms he'll start to grow some. Although if he's the runt he may stay small like Fagan's sister. She still looks like a kitten. :lovestruck:

14+kitties
May 26th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Sounds like you are making progress 14+k, but you have your work cut out for you. Nice to have a Vet that appreciates what you are doing.

Have you had any luck on locating the feral kittens outside?

Thanks Chris. Let's just say I have no problems falling asleep at night. :D I have caught glimpses of the newest kitties (at least 2) but have not had a chance to actively look for them. Maybe on Wed or Thurs of this week.

Wow... .lots of excitement over there huh! Glad to hear it's just worms...yucky as they are... they are easy to get rid of. As for the vet food, I don't like it either, but it does work. When Fagan started with his issues and we weren't sure if it was food related I fed them the vet gastro food while I researched an alternative. It really did do wonders for them. (And got them off the recalled Nutro food just 6 months before the recall!) And it wasn't a long term solution, more of a bandaid. Hopefully once Tiny Tim is rid of those pesky worms he'll start to grow some. Although if he's the runt he may stay small like Fagan's sister. She still looks like a kitten. :lovestruck:

Yep, tons of excitement krdahmer! TT doesn't seem to be too crazy about the vet food. The others don't mind it though. I went downtown to see what I could find and came home with Eagle Pack Holistic Select. I hope that is a good food. Seems pretty good. Over the course of the day TT managed to down about 2/3 of a can (5.5 oz). At this rate he should grow! He also left me a present of a nice long skinny worm on the floor. :rolleyes:I knew that would happen so it didn't take long to clean it up.
His feet are very very tiny. But then so is the rest of him. I think he may always be a small boy. I just want him healthy. The poops did seem a little better by tonight. :fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
May 27th, 2008, 12:26 AM
:eeew: worm presents on the floor :yuck:

:fingerscr just one treatment does it :goodvibes:. Did the Vet think the other inside/porch (who've been inside) kitties might need a treatment too?

Yes Eagle Pack Holistic Select is a good brand :highfive: good for him munching away :D

Winston
May 27th, 2008, 09:24 PM
14+kitties how is Tiny Tim today? cant stay on long but thought I would see if he is a bit better today? and momma?

Cindy
:thumbs up