Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog left on side of the road to die! (WARNING - graphic pic)

katherine93
May 25th, 2008, 05:26 PM
My mom was called into work 4 nights ago at 3 in the morning because a dog had been hit by a car. And who ever hit it, had obviously gotten out of his car and kicked it to one side and left it their to die, He seems to be a black lab? He got 2 broken legs and is pretty beat up. He had many open wounds that had to be stitched up and im not even going to show you the pictures of his back and stomach they are so disguisting. Mom took him home with her today so she could moniter him closely because the only people that are staying in the animal hospital tonight do not have enough experiance to deal with this kind of case yet(and mom pretty much got a hospital set up in our basement lol .He had surgery thursday morning and he is in his crate at the moment. But i had to take a picture to show you guys. He's awake and is even moving around a bit(mom thinks hes a real fighter) It is so sad. i really wants to keep him! Hes so sweet even when hes beat up like this:( (BTW- i have named him Jazz)

otter
May 25th, 2008, 05:31 PM
OMG :eek: It's not bad enough to hit the dog, but to know you hit it and kick it off the road to die, unbelievable!!!

As much as it would be great for you to keep him and know that he's safe and in a great home... don't let that stop you from finding his owners, they might be someone just like you, looking for a lost friend :cry:

I know all the care and compassion you and your Mom have for animals will bring you good things :angel: You are both amazing!

:pray: and :goodvibes: for Jazz and a happy ending to his story :fingerscr

katherine93
May 25th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Thank you! Mom has called all of the animal shelters and has put up posters to see if anyone is missing him.He didnt have a collar nor was he microchipped or tattoed so we are going to wait a month or 2 and then if he makes it (which i know he will! ) than we will decide if i will keep him or not! Hopefully casey will be home to befriend this new doggy soon!:)

*On the plus side, if he gets bored he can pick up radio stations with that big sattelite dish on his head! :P

BusterBoo
May 25th, 2008, 05:47 PM
:grouphug: to you and your Mom for taking Jazz into your home for his recuperation! I pray that the :censored: who did this to this beautiful pup is caught. Hopefully he/she won't be able to sleep at night knowing that an innocent animal was tossed to the side of the road!

:pray: that Casey comes home soon to meet Jazz!!!

Winston
May 25th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Katherine Jazz is a beauty! thank dawg for Angels like you and your mom!! Does your Mom work for a vet? Casey is beautiful and I am sending good vibes your way for her to come home and meet Jazz!

Cindy

katherine93
May 25th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Thank you- My moms very close friend opened a veterinary clinic and my mom works for her along with 3 other vets and a few assistants, My mom is a vet also though, she just didnt open her own clinic.

the gang
May 25th, 2008, 08:32 PM
f. people make me sick thank god for good people like your mom good luck jazz brenda and the pins

ancientgirl
May 25th, 2008, 09:01 PM
It's disgusting that someone would hit an animal and kick it to the side of the road like that to leave it to die a painful death. What would it have taken for that person to drive that poor animal to a vet and get it some care! The no doubt didn't want to be bothered with paying for the care of an animal they just hit.

Your mom is a wonderful person for bringing him home and nursing him to health. It sounds like he's getting some great one on one care. Please please keep us updated on Jazz's condition.

Frenchy
May 25th, 2008, 09:11 PM
omg that poor / lucky dog , your mom is an :angel: !!!!

growler~GateKeeper
May 26th, 2008, 12:03 AM
:sad: porr Jazz :grouphug:

Tell your mom :thankyou: for taking him home & lookin' after this poor guy

lots of :goodvibes: for Jazz get well soon! :dog:

happycats
May 26th, 2008, 06:12 AM
It sounds like you have an amazing loving family!!! you guys are :angel2: for helping this sweet dog!!

chico2
May 26th, 2008, 06:23 AM
OMG,look at those eyes,that face:lovestruck:
Your mom certainly deserves a great big:grouphug:as do you,hopefully the way things sometimes seem to go,Casey will soon be back home:pray:

hazelrunpack
May 26th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Oh, poor Jazz! :grouphug: You and your mom are :angel:s for this poor boy!

Is he in casts for his broken bones or did your mom pin them? I hope he's feeling better soon! :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes:

katherine93
May 26th, 2008, 09:16 AM
he doesnt have casts on but he does have bandages, So i guess that mneans they are pinned...i will ask her when i get home from school to make sure :)

Dingo
May 26th, 2008, 09:48 AM
It might be nice to include a warning before posting graphic images like that one. I personally don't want to see photos of a beaten-up dog.

katherine93
May 26th, 2008, 09:52 AM
:sad:Sorry Dingo, i didnt really think about that at the time, i will put a warning in the title. Really sorry! :sad:I guess i wasnt thinking at the time:shrug:

cpietra16
May 26th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Katherine,I'm glad Jazz is in your care. Nice to know there are people who will stop at the edge of the road to see if the poor animal is still breathing. Jazz looks like he's got alot of spirit. What a beautiful face.

krdahmer
May 26th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Cut, bruised and broken, but still a very lucky pup.... give your mom a big hug for me.... and that poor Jazz a get better soon kiss! :grouphug:

And I hope the monster that hit him and left him, gets treated the same some day! :sad::frustrated:

Frenchy
May 26th, 2008, 11:30 AM
:sad:Sorry Dingo, i didnt really think about that at the time, i will put a warning in the title. Really sorry! :sad:I guess i wasnt thinking at the time:shrug:

It's ok Katherine , the rest of us are ok with this , we've seen lots worse !

Dingo
May 26th, 2008, 12:02 PM
It's ok Katherine , the rest of us are ok with this , we've seen lots worse !

I don't think it is ok. It's not that I'm squeamish, it's that I don't feel a need to look at images of a suffering animal, regardless of the relative degree of suffering.

Frenchy
May 26th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I don't think it is ok. It's not that I'm squeamish, it's that I don't feel a need to look at images of a suffering animal, regardless of the relative degree of suffering.

:confused: Did you read the thread ? This dog was saved from death , by katherine93's mother , who are giving this dog the cares he needs.

Dingo
May 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Which is fantastic. I just don't need to see a photo of its injuries. After all, I don't think people who come to these forums need to be convinced not to treat dogs this way.

Winston
May 26th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Dingo this is the reality of what some of us deal with regularily...Maybe the title should have been enough for you to not go any further...oh well lets hope Jazz pulls through this horrible ordeal!

The point here should be more about the sicko that left this poor pup on the side of the road to die!

Cindy

BeagleMum
May 26th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Awww, the poor puppy!! You guys are angels for saving his life. I hope he makes a fast recovery!!

ancientgirl
May 26th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Dingo, I understand your feelings, but did you read the title of the thread? That alone should have given you a hint it wasn't going to be neither a pleasant read or viewing. I don't like seeing things like this either, but I readied myself knowing there may be an image. Not to mention, you can tell there's a picture slightly below the entry.

rainbow
May 26th, 2008, 12:39 PM
OMG....how could anyone be so cruel. :eek:

Poor Jazz. :sad: :grouphug: Your mom is awesome for bringing him home :angel: .....he will recover so much better with you both there. :goodvibes: I hope Casey comes home to help with his recovery too. :fingerscr

want4rain
May 26th, 2008, 12:41 PM
either way something was said and Katherine was gracious enough to apologize and probably spent a good chunk of time trying to edit the nameof her post to only find out she cant (or tried, assumed it has when it didnt) but come on folks, she is only 15... cut her some slack. given the week or two she has had.... im sure most of this could have been taken care of in PM and politely.

-ashley

Dingo
May 26th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Uh, yeah, I read the title, obviously. But I didn't expect an image, and certainly not a graphic one. Why would I anticipate an image of a beaten up animal being placed in a thread on Pets.ca?

want4rain
May 26th, 2008, 12:42 PM
im sure stranger things have happened. :laughing:

-ashley

Dingo
May 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM
either way something was said and Katherine was gracious enough to apologize and probably spent a good chunk of time trying to edit the nameof her post to only find out she cant (or tried, assumed it has when it didnt) but come on folks, she is only 15... cut her some slack. given the week or two she has had.... im sure most of this could have been taken care of in PM and politely.

So now I'm being rude? The more this goes on the more incredulous I'm becoming.

Look, all I'm saying is that if people feel it's really necessary to post graphic images -- and I'm not convinced it is, myself -- then a warning would be appreciated.

Love4himies
May 26th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Oh Katherine93 aren't some people sooooo mean in this world! Good thing there are some like you and your mom and the person who stopped to rescue this poor dog.

Most of us who have worked with local shelters have seen so much worse, I think it is important for us to see the results of what some do, makes it more real and gets some of us to do more.

want4rain
May 26th, 2008, 12:48 PM
no, all im saying is that you didnt think about responding back about her picture any harder than she though about posting it. peace eh?

-ash

Dingo
May 26th, 2008, 12:51 PM
all im saying is that you didnt think about responding back about her picture any harder than she though about posting it

Sorry, but I have no idea what this means.

want4rain
May 26th, 2008, 12:53 PM
So now I'm being rude? The more this goes on the more incredulous I'm becoming.

Look, all I'm saying is that if people feel it's really necessary to post graphic images -- and I'm not convinced it is, myself -- then a warning would be appreciated.

no but she isnt an adult yet. she is touched and inspired about this mammoth deed her mother performed for nothing more than 'just a dog'. i doubt at all that she saw a beaten and battered dog but instead a poor creature that was in need and had beautiful eyes... but also was a physical manifestation of the sheer coolness of her mother too.

most of us adults remember to post a graphic warning (anyone remember Hunters face last year?!?!) when pictures like that are included... but you know, im twice her age. ;)

-ash

chico2
May 26th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Dingo,I understand what you are saying,but I knew reading Katherines post,that the pic would show the wounded pup.
Seeing an animal suffer,usually will destroy my mood for days,but in this case,looking at Jazz,knowing he is beeing lovingly cared for,makes all the difference.
:pray:for Jazz

happycats
May 26th, 2008, 04:33 PM
just think, we only had to look at the picture, they had to pick this poor dog off the road, and help it....they LIVE it! Besides they are looking for his owner so posting pics would be the best thing to do for that.

katherine93
May 26th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Im sorry for causing an argument :sad: But i tried to put a warning and i dont know how to do it. :sorry:

A little update for the ones that actual care able the poor creature and not the picture that is posted (sorry if i sounded snobish or rude) - He is extremely underweight for a dog of his breed , but i would like you to know that he has a very healthy apetite and is getting along greatly with matrix and the rest of the gang. Matrix is very protective over him, he lays nest to his kennel all day and growls at the other animals to give them a warning to "stay away" . It heartwarming to watch, but at the same time i hope he doesnt get to over protective and bite one of them! (I doubt he would , but still its worrying me)

Can anybody tell me how to fix the title of the thread?

diandpat
May 26th, 2008, 05:18 PM
So glad to hear everything seems to be going well in your little "menagerie" Katherine93.

About the title, I suppose if you messaged Marko he could do something. If not, don't fret too much. The poster made their point, you issued an apology and their was no malice involved.

Don't know how this thread got so far off track. I only want to know about the poor abandoned pooch!

ancientgirl
May 26th, 2008, 05:25 PM
No need for further apologies, you didn't do it on purpose.

It's nice matrix has taken a liking to Jazz. He must sense Jazz is not able to protect himself and decided he better do it for him. It's very sweet. It sounds like Jazz is going to be okay huh? Maybe you will have another furry family member.:D

And congratulations again on the good news!

happycats
May 26th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I'm sorry for going :offtopic: I really do care about this sweet pup :lovestruck: and would love to hear updates.

katherine93
May 26th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Oh it is no problem at all happycats , i was mostly referring to Dingo. Thank you all for defending me. I do feel bad about it though.

HC- I know you care about the well being of the poor pooch:) , no need for apologies :)

marko
May 26th, 2008, 05:52 PM
It's no problem - we all make mistakes or forget the sensitivities of others.

I've added a warning to this thread title and for future reference all it takes is PM or email to me and it's more than my pleasure to edit a thread title.
In fact a quick post in this thread that a PM was sent to a mod/admin would have been fine. All good though - let's move on please.

Thanks for being an :angel: Katherine93

happycats
May 26th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I do hope you end up keeping this poor guy, because your family sounds like the perfect home for him!! If not, I'm sure you will find him a great home!
I guess right now you just have to work on getting him all better!

katherine93
May 26th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I forgot to mention ,We may have found his old owners, but by the sound of it, hes better off here. They are the type of people that shouldnt really have a pet. One of their neighbors reported them to a animal shelter a few months back but nothing was done about it. They let him roam free and didnt give him shelter or anything. And according to the neighbors , the only food they saw him getting was from them and other concerned neighbors. We are going to call them tomorrow if they can release their phone number. I hope i can keep him though. i doubt the authorities will let them take him back , all i need to do is show them the picture of the dog and anybody with a heart wouldnt let him go back there ( because hes super skinny). But we will know for sure if these are the people tomorrow :) Some people just P*** me off! GRRR :frustrated:

happycats
May 26th, 2008, 06:19 PM
If they are the people and they do want him back I would give them the BIG huge vet bill!! I'm sure that will change their mnd real quick!
If they don't care about animals, they would never pay the vet bill.

katherine93
May 26th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Yea i know, Mom figures they will just tell us to keep him anyways, or even deny ownership even if he is theirs! Ugh sickens me! Its funny how some of the sweetest animals in the world go to such Jerks :frustrated: I mean, WHY do people get an animal if they have absolutely no intensions of caring for it? Do they think they are doing the animal a favour by giving it a "home"? He's Such a well behaved dog for someone who has had absolutely no trainining.. i dont think hes housetrained or anything (wont know for sure until he can get up and walk around), But he sure do love being in a nice safe, warm crate!

Dingo
May 26th, 2008, 06:32 PM
If you find the owners are you going to report them?

ancientgirl
May 26th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I'd make sure that vet bill was REALLY high.

katherine93
May 26th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Dingo- It depends on if the owners truley care about him and werent letting him run free. If the people we are goiing to cal tomorrow are the owners we WILL without a doubt be reporting them. Im accually more concerned about finding the Jerk that hit him and kicked him to one side. Because if we do not find his owners, i have gained a new life long friend! (sorry if that sounded selfish)

ancientgirl- Oh trust me, it will be REALLY high! we had to buy a new crate for him and everything. Our dogs are territorial over their crates and that wouldnt fly with the other dogs. And the ones at the clinic are built into the walls. Therfore , thats more money coming out of our pockets! Not that we mind really, Just an excuse to raise the price higher!

rainbow
May 26th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Do you really know for sure that he was hit by a car? Did someone actually see it? If the jerks you mentioned are the real owners then who knows what they were capable of doing to him before he was found? :sad:

katherine93
May 26th, 2008, 07:26 PM
The people who brought him in accually seen him get hit, they watched as the man got out of his truck and kicked him to one side. The man sped off while they approached. They dont know the make or the year of the truck though:sad: if they did it would be easier to find the B-A badword that did it..

Frenchy
May 26th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I'd make sure that vet bill was REALLY high.

I second that. A skinny stray dog ... never sounds good to me ! I'm glad he's eating well , that shows he's feeling good and will get better with the good care he's getting :thumbs up

good job katherine93 and mom ! :thumbs up can't wait to see pictures of him all healed up :cloud9:

Stacer
May 26th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Nice work katherine. Sounds like he's healing well and getting all that extra love is probably making him heal faster.

P.S. That pic isn't really that graphic. He's still cute despite the cuts and scrapes.

angeldogs
May 26th, 2008, 11:47 PM
The pic is heartbreaking.but what pic with an abused animal isn't and it's not that graphic.thank you to your mom and you for helping this poor guy and caring.and you's find out who did this nasty deed to him.it's good that he is a fighter and recover quickly

chico2
May 27th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Katherine,that you might have found the "owners",worries me a little:frustrated:
The way the law is regarding pets and pets as property,not living beeings..
But I somehow doubt these people would fight for this poor pup:fingerscr

Even if you did find the person who hit him and pushed him to the side,nothing will happen to him.
He can just say,he thought the dog was dead:yell:
We can only hope,that somehow,one day it will be pay-back time for people who don't care.

Hopefully Jazz will recover quickly:grouphug:to mom and you!
I don't suppose there is any news of Casey??

SIL
May 27th, 2008, 07:57 AM
katherine93...I'm glad everything is going ok with Jazz. I hope you are able to keep him so that he can get spoiled...he deserves it.
Chico2...Casey is back home http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52408&page=3 so it's all good news.:thumbs up

chico2
May 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM
SIL,I just saw that thank's....your avatar with Billy gets me all teary,I wish Billy would come home too:pray:

katherine93
May 27th, 2008, 05:02 PM
So, Mom called the people we thought were his People, And turns out they were (WERE being the key word :thumbs up) his owners.They Inherited him 6 months back when the mans dad died suddenly of a massive heart attack.(He was 3 months when they got him, so that means , despite the little bit of grey on his chin, that hes only 9-10 months old :shrug: or so they say, Aparrently he is pure bred, which i beleive 100 % :frustrated: So if he is as old as they said he was, he will probably grow some more! (Even though hes pretty big already, except for the fact hes under weight). Anyway, they told us that they didnt want him and they only kept him for so long because he was Something to remember his dad by:frustrated: Anyway, hes safe now! And as far as i know, mom is going to let me keep him!!! :):) If anybody would like me to clarify anything about the post just ask, because i was in a rush to typpe it so i may have left something out!

I hope KARMA comes back and bites those people on the ASS!:evil:

ancientgirl
May 27th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Yay! I'm so glad you are keeping him. He's going to be a happy boy.

It amazes me just how stupid people are. Why do they keep getting pets for wrong and stupid reasons?

loopoo
May 27th, 2008, 11:17 PM
another happy ending.. so glad this beautiful boy will have a loving home with people like you:) the grey on his muzzle doesnt surprise me a vet once told me stress of their living conditions can do that as well... one of the reasons they thought the dog i now have and rescued was older.. but he is fact a few years younger is what most vets have said

chico2
May 28th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Katherine,that's good news:thumbs up
He will once again be loved and cared for,the "dad"can rest in peace now,knowing his pup will be ok:thumbs up

Love4himies
May 28th, 2008, 07:07 AM
That is good news, Katherine, your family are just :angel:s. I am sure this dog is going to show his appreciation for life.

katherine93
May 28th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Thank you! I just hope he isnt scared for life!

:offtopic: Does anybody know anything about conservation officers? I would like to look into becoming one when im done school. (also on my list- Vet/obediance trainer, Lawer/obedience trainer,Nurse/obedience trainer..lol)

Id like to know any info possible! Sorry its so off topic! Should i start a thread somewhere else about it?

Winston
May 28th, 2008, 05:39 PM
In Ontario you could check out the MNR site..Ministry of Natural Resources @

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/index.html

Lots of info on the net!

Good Luck!

How is Jazz DOing today?

Cindy

katherine93
May 28th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Jazz is doing great! He ate 4 mcnuggets today(SHHH dont tell mom!) His wounds are healing up nicely.. in a month or so you wont even be able to notice anything happened to him! I cant wait for him to get up and walk around! How longs that gonna take! ugh cant wait! Thanks for the link!

onster
May 28th, 2008, 08:15 PM
katherine, I just wanted to say that u and ure mom are such angels :angel:.

Jazz's, although roughed up in the picture, looks absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see pics of him post recovery in your wonderful home.

It's nice to see someone so young so caring too. Youre doing a great job :thumbs up

katherine93
May 29th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Merci beucoup! (dont think thats spelled right) .. Hes still doing fine. Such a differance in his face already! if my stupid camera would work i'd get you some pictures!

Ford Girl
May 29th, 2008, 05:07 PM
another happy ending.. so glad this beautiful boy will have a loving home with people like you:) the grey on his muzzle doesnt surprise me a vet once told me stress of their living conditions can do that as well... one of the reasons they thought the dog i now have and rescued was older.. but he is fact a few years younger is what most vets have said

I agree, dogs who go thru illness and stress grey quicker. Look at JanM's 3 year old Bobby. :angel: He went thru some illnesses and his face is whitish..still very handsome. Distiguished. :angel:

Thank you! I just hope he isnt scared for life!

:offtopic: Does anybody know anything about conservation officers? I would like to look into becoming one when im done school. (also on my list- Vet/obediance trainer, Lawer/obedience trainer,Nurse/obedience trainer..lol)

Id like to know any info possible! Sorry its so off topic! Should i start a thread somewhere else about it?

Whomever is his long term forever family (is they you guys?) will need to work on his confidence, lots of way to get them back to normal, they "forget" the past if their humans do. Thats all to come, once he's all better. :goodvibes: Lots of time for that...

Ok, I have to say this and I hate to be negative, my husband has a forestry/CO degree from a University in Ontario, went to shcool, loved it, wanted to be a CO, graduated top of his class, and to be honest....someone has to die or retire to get a job at the MNR, the employment rate sucks, they actually cancelled most froestry/CO related courses at most Ontario colleges and universities...dont mean to rain on your parade, but I'd check out the job industry before you do 4 years of school. Foresty/consevation is a dying field. There are jobs, but they are hard to come by.

When we moved to the Alberta from ONatario after trying to get jobs for 4 months, all he could get here with his degree was "urban" forestry jobs which is basically lawn pruning and tree trimming...we even tried in BC, but it was also slim pickings. We actually both have degrees we dont use. :o

Sorry, :offtopic:.

katherine93
May 29th, 2008, 06:24 PM
We are now his furever family! Hes doing so well, we can tell he likes us as much as we do because he is even beginning to wag his tail( before he seemed a little depressed) but he is coming around tremendously! :cloud9:

Oh, thats to bad about the CO situation! Id rather be a vet anyways i think! lol (fox and the sour grapes):p

ancientgirl
May 29th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Sounds like Jazz knows he's found a wonderful new home.:D

katherine93
May 29th, 2008, 06:43 PM
He sure does! lol Ive never had a lab before, any special i should know about them? (i have casey but everything about her is German Shepherd, you wouldnt be able to tell there was lab in her if her face didnt show it).. And mom as only delt with them in the clinic, never owned one. So any special considerations?

Stacer
May 29th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Ok, I have to say this and I hate to be negative, my husband has a forestry/CO degree from a University in Ontario, went to shcool, loved it, wanted to be a CO, graduated top of his class, and to be honest....someone has to die or retire to get a job at the MNR, the employment rate sucks, they actually cancelled most froestry/CO related courses at most Ontario colleges and universities...dont mean to rain on your parade, but I'd check out the job industry before you do 4 years of school. Foresty/consevation is a dying field. There are jobs, but they are hard to come by.

When we moved to the Alberta from ONatario after trying to get jobs for 4 months, all he could get here with his degree was "urban" forestry jobs which is basically lawn pruning and tree trimming...we even tried in BC, but it was also slim pickings. We actually both have degrees we dont use. :o

Sorry, :offtopic:.

I too am a forestry graduate in 2001 of an Ontario school. I personally have had absolutely no problem finding jobs since graduating and in fact have found that the prospects in the last year alone have been great. This green revolution that the world is going through is creating jobs for people like me and is only going to grow. My husband is in forestry as well and has remained employed in the field since graduating as well. There are always new jobs popping up if you know the right places to look.

As for the MNR, pfffft, I agree it's impossible to get in there. I've all but given up. I like to stick to the Conservation Authorities.

Katherine, if you want to be a CO, you should pursue it, there are jobs out there and I would suspect that in the near future there will be more.

Frenchy
May 29th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Congratulation on the adoption !! :highfive:

chico2
May 30th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I definetly have no respect for MNR,it seems to me,the only thing on their agenda is not to protect our wildlife and natural resources,but in many cases how to destroy it:yell:
Not an organisation I would want to work for..

Love4himies
May 30th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I am so glad you decided to adopted this dog, I am sure he will be a terrific companion!

Ford Girl
May 30th, 2008, 10:28 AM
As for the MNR, pfffft, I agree it's impossible to get in there. I've all but given up. I like to stick to the Conservation Authorities.

Katherine, if you want to be a CO, you should pursue it, there are jobs out there and I would suspect that in the near future there will be more.

:offtopic: :) Thats cool Stacer, for sure, it's great you got to work in the field of your choice :thumbs up...Just a different personal experience, a very negative one for us. But what did we know at 18 eh? LOL! Neither of us would have taken what we took if we knew then what we know now. :rolleyes: I don't use my degree either. :frustrated:

And I agree with Chico, as far as MNR is concerned, they are there for show, not to help develope and preserve...the fish cops in Alberta are a joke. I deal personally with them every time they bring in tree huggers to try and close the land designated for recreational use and paid for by the public. Booo Hisssss!!! :laughing:

Woo hoo for keeping him Katherine...thats awesome!!! :highfive: You and your family are :angel:'s.

Longblades
May 30th, 2008, 11:24 AM
My OH was a Conservation Officer in Ontario for a short time in the 70's. After wanting to be one all his life and miss spending his youth in hunting, fishing, trapping (and shooting pool ;)) he discovered he did not like carrying a gun, laying charges and basically doing a job that was sometimes categorized as "enforcement" or "compliance" and had little to do with conservation. At the time, however, it greatly depended on what MNR District you worked in as to how the job in that area was directed. Some are better places to work.

Things have improved somewhat, in that there is now at least radio backup available. When he was in the field there was no support, not even a link to the OPP. He was out there on his own, dangerous job.

Now we truly agree that the MNR is a sad place these days but it is not due to a lack of dedication by the staff who are COs but mostly to budget cuts that hamper them so severely they have to ration the gas in their vehicles. If you want to complain about inaction on the part of OMNR remember it is the voters who put in place governments that continually cut taxes and that has adversely affected not only OMNR but our health system, our road infrastructure, our education system to name but a few.

Is it NFLD where there is a controversy over allowing COs to carry a gun? Or is it NS? I forget.

katherine93
May 31st, 2008, 03:11 PM
Thank you all for the information! Its greatly appreciated!

Jazzy Update- his face is almost completely healed, his fur is growing back already! ..In a month or so, he'll look like a normal lab! You wont be able to know anything happpened to him.. Except he probably still wont be walking right. Hes starting up theropy next week! :fingerscr that he will regain all walking ability! :goodvibes:

Winston
May 31st, 2008, 03:42 PM
Hey Katherine would love to see an updated pic of your Jazzy! How is he getting about now? I cant recall if you said he had broken bones or not?

Cindy

katherine93
May 31st, 2008, 04:04 PM
His back legs are broken, and pinned. Amazingly he can stand up to pee, but my dad has to help him up, the pain meds are helping him alot im assuming.

Love4himies
June 2nd, 2008, 02:45 AM
Poor dog :sad: good thing there was somebody to rescue him and your mom to fix him up.:thumbs up

katherine93
June 2nd, 2008, 07:23 AM
thanks! The scrapes on his face are healed, the fur is almost grown back, AlMOST looks normal when you look at his face. in a week or so you wont be able to tell that it was scrapped up! He'll look like a normal healthy lab.Except for his hind legs!

hazelrunpack
June 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Good luck with Jazz's therapy, Katherine! :goodvibes: that it all goes well! :thumbs up

lizziem1963
June 2nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
wow, what a wonderful 3 pages of posts. katherine93 - you & your mom are wonderful people! jazz is beautiful - even scratched and scraped - hes gorgeous. what a lucky dog, even though the guy who kicked him off the road should rot in hell, at least he got him off the road and didnt just leave him in the lane to be hit over and over again. (please, dont think for a second i am defending this driver, im just saying how good it was for jazz)

katherine, i have a thought for a future job for you, how about a wildlife rehabber? i sure wish we had some around here. i dont think you will ever ever be rich with money as a rehabber, but rich with life and goodness. with everything you are learing from watching your mom, and your compassion you would be fantastic.

about giving the dog back to the original owner, im glad there was no problem, but, i have found a few stray dogs in pretty bad shape over the years. if the owners are terrible people who shouldnt have an animal, then what happens is the dog just happens to run away before they can get it back. "oh no, im so sorry, he just got out the door and took off, looks like you will have to keep looking". now, to be honest, i have never had to do it, the dogs hadnt been claimed and we ended up keeping them or finding them good homes. BUT, i would do that in a heartbeat if i had to to protect a dog r cat.

id love to see an updated photo of jazz.

katherine93
June 2nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Wow , thanks lizziem1963. That would be a great job for me! :cloud9: I will try to get an updated picture as soon as possible, but as of now i cant, i leant out m y camera charger to a friend of a friend, and have yet to see it back :frustrated: But as soon as i do i will most definatly get some pictures for ya!

sophistikitten
June 4th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Katherine93~
Kudos to you and your mom - you've saved this beautiful dog! This is my first post here and had to say that to you.

I'm also a first time dog owner. My dog was found last year by a friend. She saw a car drive by, throwing a dog out of a car window into a ditch (and he's a big boy). He certainly didn't look as bad as Jazz did but he had so many scars all over his head from being hit with something and was very scared of everything. We ended up taking him home.

katherine93
June 4th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Thank you so much sophistikitten for the compliment and for the story! You are obviously a great and caring person for taking that poor doggy in:D i have such a soft spot for doggies, more especially ones that have a bad past. Keep up the good work with your little guy!!! :thumbs up

BTW- Welcome to pets.ca!:thumbs up You will meet alot of great animal lovers here!! Hope to be talking to you soon! Give your little guy (or big guy) a great big hug for me!!!