Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My baby needs surgery! Please help me find help

LittleDee
May 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
My baby Little Dee, a basset/fox hound mix can't walk on her right side. The vet said she has to have surgery. They called me a murderer to my face because I don't have the money to have the surgery done as they would have to put her to sleep. I started crying and got her out of there fast. She's happy, eating, loving me up as always. I can't stop crying and thrown up several times. I have no family and my alcoholic ex husband destroyed our credit so bad that even carecredit.com won't help me. No vet will do the surgery without cash up front. I just can't kill her! I can't even squash bugs and they freak me out. Please, if you know of anyway I can get her the help she needs, Please tell me. I'm in SW Missouri.

TY

Little Dee's mama

katherine93
May 25th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Maybe you could look around and find a vet that will work out a payment plan for you. You may have to travel a bit (by car maybe just a few hours) until you can find a vet that cares enough to take the time to make a payment plan that could stretch out over a few months. My mom does it for people all of the time and so far nobody has tried to screw her over yet (pardon my french). Im sure somebody around you that is a vet cares more about the animals more than the money. they are hard to find but it is worth it. Good luck with you doggie and finding a good vet that will try to helop you out! Maybe you could post some pictures of your little angel :p we love pictures :D Oh and hunni! DOnt mind what that dumb F***** said to you. If you can't afford it , you can't afford it, Dont let ANYBODY Make you feel bad because you cannot afford a surgery that probably costs thousands of dollars. You are NOT a murderer, you love and care for you doggie, alot of pet owners wouldnt have even taken her to the vet, they would let her suffer or they'd take her out back and shoot her in the head. So you are NOT a murderer. You love her!

Also , if you cannot find a vet to make a payment plan and you absolutely CANT get her the surgery, instead of getting her put down m aybe you could Get her a home with somebody who can afford the surgery, it may take a while but in the long run its worth it, Thats just my two cents worth, im sure other ppl can help you more :)

LavenderRott
May 25th, 2008, 02:58 PM
So, your dog needs surgery, you don't have the money, the vet isn't willing to work out any kind of payment plan and they are calling YOU a murderer!?!

Isn't it a shame that vet medicine has become a matter of making money instead of helping animals.

Call some local rescue groups. They might have a vet that would be willing to help you out, maybe not with actual cost but with payments.

otter
May 25th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Katherine and LavenderRott have some great suggestions for you.
That vet you went to is cruel :evil: I can't believe they wouldn't give you any help :frustrated:
Keep looking, i'm sure something will come up :thumbs up
:goodvibes: and :pray: for you and little Dee.

Dr Lee
May 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM
While you are by no means a murderer, it is very common for vets to refuse service without payment. This situation is horrible and devastating to you and your family but unfortunately this is an all too common occurrence for us as veterinarians. Furthermore it is very difficult for many veterinarians to do payment plans. If payment is not made, collections agencies often do not collect and they take 40-60% of the payment on the few times they do. It is not possible for the business to survive on 0-60% collection of fees. I don't mean for this to sound cold, and most veterinarians that I know, myself included, find it very, very difficult to say no to a pet in need. It may not show in the room but I can tell you it tears us up every time. Also this year, I have done billing on serious emergency cases with clients that were fairly new to me. Out the 6 or 7 cases, I still have 4 of the pets now as abandoned dogs that we are trying to find homes for. I realize that this would never be you but the fact is that the veterinarian does not know who is who.

I wish there were other billing options. Held checks are not allowed by laws and will not be enforced by the DA. Banks used to help with credit but now seem to only lend money to the people that don't really need it. Carecredit is better but still so many families that need the credit are denied.

What can you do?
1) as suggested, try to find a vet who can help with the finances. This is not usually a vet who cares more but one whose hospital can afford the consequences of clients not paying. (again, do not take it personally, they do not know you and we see this so common. Times are very tough economically right now).
2) www.imom.org is a organization who can help pay for these type of situations. Your vet can write a letter to them. I have done this several times.
3) sometime veterinary school universities can help. They work at a 70% loss (made up by vets tuitions :)) They also often have some creative financing plans.
4) is there family or friends that can borrow? Often if you can come up with a deposit, vets will be happy to give you a 10-25% discount when you talk to them.

Again, I don't want to sound cold; but most vets I know really do care and this situation is one of the top reasons that many vets are not lasting in this job. I wish you the very best, and try www.imom.org

otter
May 25th, 2008, 04:03 PM
That vet you went to is cruel :evil: I can't believe they wouldn't give you any help :frustrated:
Keep looking, i'm sure something will come up :thumbs up
:goodvibes: and :pray: for you and little Dee.
:sorry: Dr. Lee. You make a very good point, i'm sure most/all vets are very torn by the inability to provide service when the patient can't afford, it must be heartbreaking for you all. I just was hurt by the fact that a vet would call her a "murderer" - that's the cruel part. And, like the suggestions you provided, I would have thought the vet might have steered her to some other options :shrug: Thanks so much for your info Dr. Lee :thumbs up

I'm hoping and praying you will find something to help you with this very hard situation LittleDee :fingerscr:goodvibes::grouphug:

Dr Lee
May 25th, 2008, 04:07 PM
No worries Otter. And I wasn't there and calling someone a 'murderer' sounds a bit unprofessional to say the least. This situation is a high emotional one for the owner, the vet and of course the poor pet. There needs to be more organizations like imom...