Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sad story with happy outcome

Jewels&Casey
May 24th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I got Jewels on August 2, 2007 at 8 weeks and stayed home for a week to bond with the new puppy. Casey had been an only dog for over 8 years so I wanted to make sure that both got to know each other.

My first day back at work I wondered all day how little Jewels was doing in her puppy playpen, which was supposed to be puppy proof.

I got home and opened the back door and the first thing I saw was Jewels with her front paws stuck in the darn playpen. I don't know how many hours she spent like that but at that moment I didn't care. I got her un-stuck and immediately put her on a towel. She literally passed out. Only 8 weeks and 6 pounds. I felt horrible as to what happened to her. I put her in the kitchen sink and washed her down as she had soiled herself. I called my vet and rushed Jewels over. She was barely awake while we were at the vet and while he examined her. He explained that her little paws were mangled and that she probably couldn't walk for a few days until they healed properly. He gave her a shot for the pain and told me to watch her closely.

We went home and when little Jewels needed to go potty I had to carry her outside and hold her front paws up so that she could go as she couldn't walk. This went on for two days. I had taken 2 extra vacation days from work.

All I kept thinking through out this was that I was a bad person and I was going to kill my puppy.

I finally went back to work and I put Jewels in the 1/2 bath on the main floor with the babygate securing her in. She had her pillow, her blanket and he chew toys to keep her entertained. She could move about but wouldn't hurt herself as well. Yeah, right. I came home that night to another shock. Not only were her front paws healing well enough but she managed to jump the gate. I found her upstairs on the 2nd floor with Casey. She climbed up but couldn't figure out how to get down. She spent the day upstairs with Casey. Safe and sound. She was grunting away and her little tail was wagging like crazy. She was happy and safe. When I picked her up she buried her little nose in my neck and continued her grunting (she sounded like a little piglet)

I think I could have had a heart attack with what she put me through that week. Today she's a happy hellion who likes to wake me up by sitting on my head and chewing my hair.

The hellion's mom

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk249/jewels_casey/

growler~GateKeeper
May 25th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Certainly an adventurous start that's for sure. Glad she's all healed up & doing better w/both the paws & her nose

Great pics Jewels & Casey are both beautiful :lovestruck:

TeriM
May 25th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Wow, those were some scary moments :eek:. I'm glad things worked out :thumbs up and your dogs are gorgeous :lovestruck:.