Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What can I use for a sore bottom? No, not mine.

14+kitties
May 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM
As a lot of you know, Tiny Tim has had diarrhea issues this past week. We are working on getting to the bottom of it. He is now being tested for gardia. I can't see him having it if the other ones in the litter are fine.
Anyway, due to all of the diarrhea he has a ver tender bottom. Is it safe to use vaseline on it until we can get him to the vet on Monday?

chico2
May 24th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Awww Poor little Timmie,I wish I could answer that,but I don't know,hope someone else can:fingerscr

TeriM
May 24th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I would say yes to the vaseline, just be very careful that it stays fairly clean if possible.

Hope he feels better :fingerscr.

Winston
May 24th, 2008, 05:54 PM
14+kitties I am not sure if this is okay for kitties but when Winston had anal gland issues his bumb was soooo sore! The vet gave me pantax cream used for babies and she said it was soothing for him..

Hope he feels better soon!

Cindy

Dr Lee
May 24th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Yes vaseline is safe. Also neosporin or neosporin plus are acceptable. Neosporin plus has the same antibiotic properties of neosporin but also has some steroids in it to reduce inflammation and pain. With most topical medications, the active ingredients are absorbed through the skin in approximately 10-15 minutes leaving only the carrier agent on the surface which is similar to vaseline. :pawprint:

14+kitties
May 24th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks very much for the fast replies. I appreciate it. I went downtown and got vaseline. Guess I should have waited for a few minutes. :o
Thanks Dr. Lee. I will go back down and get some neosporin plus after supper. Until then I put a litte vaseline on his bottom.
Poor baby. I feel so bad for him. Thanks Chico. I know you would help if you could. :)
thanks too Winston and Teri M. :thumbs up

luckypenny
May 25th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Would a product such as Zincofax or Penaten cream be just as effective?