Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another reason to keep cats inside

WOODY
June 30th, 2004, 11:28 PM
I just turned on the spot lights outside our house and saw 4 young foxes sitting in the bird feeder area. They are beautiful but do command a fairly high position in the food chain, especially when there are 4 of them hunting in concert. I am not sure but one of my peacocks has been AWOL for a few days and may have fallen prey to the young band of nightime hunters. My three Siamese never go outside However anyone with a cat on the outside around here should have concerns. They have established a home under a house on an adjoining farm and seem to think "my land is their land." (Some sort of old song lyric I think).
While I was watching them a skunk wandered onto the scene and took control of the place they were holding court in. All of a sudden the skunk had the place to himself and the foxes headed across the horse pasture to their den area or some other place with less aeromatic concerns.
I do have a wild garage kitty that has defied being caught but she sleeps inside our attached garage all night long and only ventures outside during the day. We cut a hole in the garage so she could get in out of the cold last winter and that has evolved into a plush bed on an elevated stand and food and water bowls and a night light. She still will not let us catch her but I don't think she will be in much danger from the foxes since she is not out at night and they are not out during the day.
WOODY

Rhonda Rae Gibs
July 1st, 2004, 10:18 AM
I love animals too, and we have racoons....mamas and babies too that I feed every night and water too, my cat even sits up on her hinders like a coon now after watching them.

Perhaps those foxes could be trapped somehow and relocated to a different location somehow? Or could a local nature center help in taking them elsewhere? Then your garage kitty would be safer, but I'll bet the garage kitty is smart enough to keep her distance anyways. (smile)

Lucky Rescue
July 1st, 2004, 10:46 AM
Foxes are so small that they would have to be truly desperate to attempt to take a full grown cat.

Around here, the biggest danger to cats are fishers,with many cats disappearing, and the odd coyote. :eek:

Luba
July 1st, 2004, 03:37 PM
We have neighbourhood foxes that actually catch squirrels in daylight !!!

chico2
July 1st, 2004, 05:15 PM
Nothing much to add,other than it's nice to hear from"our"Woody again :D
Also of course I strongly believe no cat should be outside roaming on their own,the average life-expectancy for an outdoor cat is 3 yrs.
I live in a well populated are and we have coyotes,there was an incident where a Chi had half her face chewed off by a coyote in her own backyard.
Now,I don't hate coyotes,I think they are beautiful,coons are sweet and the little foxes wonderful,it's up to us to make sure our pets don't become dinner.

sammiec
July 1st, 2004, 05:17 PM
Perhaps those foxes could be trapped somehow and relocated to a different location somehow? Or could a local nature center help in taking them elsewhere?

Unfortunately this is the result of urban sprawl... people have taken over more and more land that once belonged to these animals and now they are forced into cohabitation with people that don't want them around.
Animal Control or nature centres in most cases not remove the animals. There are some amny cases of people calling in digust that they have raccoons, foxes, and coyotes in their yards, but most people don't even think about the fact that those animals were there before their home. I don't find that it's far to rehome these animals unless their lives are in danger.

sammiec
July 1st, 2004, 05:19 PM
it's up to us to make sure our pets don't become dinner.

very true chico, wish more people thought that way, but it's very hard to tame the wild out of them!!! ;) :rolleyes: Geez...

WOODY
July 2nd, 2004, 05:23 AM
Generally this is true however where I live we have, on average one house or family per 1000 acres. I guess in that sense we are the urban sprawl and the foxes and other critters might consider us intrusive outsiders however it is my guess were are looked upon more as feeding stations than intruders.
The hawks and other preidtor birds seem to love the mouse population that follows where we have grain fields and storage bins, and all the way up and down the food chain farm land does seem to fit in nicely with the animal world.
There was a ruckus last night when one of the foxes apparently tired to ambush a goose which was sleeping at the water's edge.
I didn't see the lead up to the attack however the nosie afterward was enough to wake the dead and the goose was joined in by her brothers and sisters. It seems the fox tried to take down a full grown wild goose which prompty went into the water and pecked the living bejeepers out of one very surprised and ultimately bedraggled - wet fox. As I turned on the lights the fox was doing his imitation of "walking on water" and not knowing where the rocks were was not helping his performance. He made it out of the pond and the geese are still giving him what for. Of course the crows are now awake and they will be at it for another hour or two. The poor fox will have to hide out in one of the barns for the rest of the day.
My dogs are now awake so I guess I will just have to have coffee and prepare for the day ahead. Being a "statesider" and residing in what most of you must consider "the wrong side of the tracks" I have a 5 day holiday due to the 4th of July. :p

Woody