Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Not Getting Potty Training Help!!!

pixycuts
May 24th, 2008, 12:13 PM
HI,
I have a 10 week old puppy. I have had him now for 3 weeks. I have been at home with him all day every day working on training. However for some reason he doesnt seem to get potty training. I have tried leaving him in his crate for extended periods, and than letting him out, I have tried excessive rewards wheh he goes out.
The problem is not that he doesnt go outside. He pees and or poops every time we go out. And he does it right away. He knows what he is suppose to do out there.
The problem is i take him out every half hour to 45 min, and yet he still wont hold it. I will take him out, he will go to the bathroom, and than come back inside and go 5 min later on the floor. I dont know what to do? I feel like i have tried everything.
And i am slowly starting to run out of patience, he is making no head way. He wont even hold it longer than he did the time before.
He doenst even try to hide it. He does it right in front of me.
What can i do?

BusterBoo
May 24th, 2008, 12:34 PM
It sounds like you are doing everything right but your puppy is still very young to understand that potty is to be done only outside. Do you have him on a schedule feeding/water schedule? Has he been vet checked to make sure there is no medical reason for his accidents? Have you tried pee pads for inside?

Some puppies at 10 weeks old are still with their mother, so you just need to be patient and persistent with him. Outside when he wakes up, outside after he eats/drinks, outside after he plays and runs around.....it's a long process and some dogs are easier than others.

Good luck and please don't get discouraged, one day it will happen!

btw.....what kind of dog and do you have any pictures??? :)

Dingo
May 24th, 2008, 12:40 PM
If he's going again when you bring him back in the house, maybe you're not giving him enough time outside?

Tommysmom
May 24th, 2008, 01:17 PM
At 10 weeks my pup was pretty clueless - the problem is, when they're that young, they don't usually realize that they have to go until they HAVE TO GO. They don't get a lot of warning! I kept watching my pup like a hawk trying to see the signs and prevent accidents and then gradually he just started holding it longer and longer. I really don't think you can expect a whole lot at 10 weeks. I know that it feels like it's been a long time that you've been working on potty training, but remember, he's just a baby. Keep doing what you're doing, and have lots and lots of patience - he'll get it, they all do eventually:).

pixycuts
May 24th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I do have him on a food and water schedule. I have had him to the vet, and he has another apt. this week.
He spends plenty of time outside. He pees every time, sometimes twice.
Its not that he doesnt get that he is suppose to go out there, its that he will come back in and pee again sometimes 2-3 times within the next half hour. Should i be conserned that he isnt trying to hold it at all in the house.
He holds it fine in his cage. will hold it for hours at night.

Tommysmom
May 24th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I would not be concerned... he's only a 10 week old baby. Keep up what you're doing, and he will learn to hold it - he's just not going to be able to hold it at 10 weeks old. If you're very concerned you can have the vet rule out a UTI by giving him a pee sample, just to be sure there is nothing physically out of order.

jealma
May 24th, 2008, 05:56 PM
What we did was we started on the puppy pads and than moved it to outside. Our pup doesn't bark to go out,, she will just sit next to the puppy pad and if we don't notice,, she will do her business there. Most of the time we do notice,, and even if she is thinking of using the pad and we call her,, she will hold till outside. Nice thing is,, if we fail at paying attention, she will use the pad. So try the puppy pads,, that way she will be going in the one spot,, I suggest putting them right at the door.

TeriM
May 24th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Give the puppy a break :). At ten weeks it is unreasonable to expect a pup to be potty trained. This is one of my favorite sayings:

If you have applied these techniques carefully for 4-6 weeks and you are still finding spots or piles after the fact, it's time for stronger measures. Roll up a newspaper and fasten both ends with a rubber band. Keep it handy. The very next time you find a spot of a pile that the dog has left behind, whip out that newspaper, and hit YOURSELF over the head firmly several times as you repeat "I FORGOT TO WATCH MY PUPPY".

It is quite common for pups to not soil their crates but still pee while out and about. They are much more stimulated and honestly do not even know that they need to pee until they are doing it. I find that male pups are harder to read as they basically just do a "tilt" instead of squating so you need to be super observant.

Here are some house training tips:

1) The puppy must have NO time unsupervised in your home. NONE.
If you are not directly watching the puppy, it should be in the
crate, or outside in a safe area. You MUST watch the puppy at ALL
times when loose in the house. Use baby gates, crates, or tie the
leash to your belt.

2) The puppy should sleep inside the crate by your bedside.
This way you can hear if the puppy should happen to need to go out
during the night.

3) You must go WITH the puppy outside for ALL trips for
elimination. You must have treats with you. When the puppy is
urinating, say "GO PEE PEE" in a nice praise tone of voice the entire
time. When she is finished, pop the treat into her mouth at once, and
praise praise praise. This should be something she gets at no other
time, like tiny pieces of string cheese or boiled chicken. Same for
defecation. Say "GO POOP" while she is going, and food reward and
praise afterwards. You must observe and reward ALL outdoor potty time.

4) Keep a schedule. Feed at the same time, and walk outside at
the same times. Pup needs to go out at when playing, at wake up time, lunch
time, 4-5 PM, after dinner or any other meals, and before bed.

5) Use a key word each time you go out. I say "Let's go out!!"
in a happy tone of voice each time I'm opening the door to go out with the dog.

6) If you catch the puppy IN THE ACT of eliminating in your
house, CLAP YOUR HANDS, say AH AH, OUTSIDE!! And immediately rush her
outside. If she finishes there, do your usual food reward and praise.

The keys to getting your dog reliably housetrained are:

SUPERVISION: NO loose time in the house if you are not watching

REWARDS: ALL outdoor elimination MUST be observed
and rewarded. If you only do this ONE thing, your puppy will get housetrained.

PATIENCE: Anger and punishment have no place in dog
training. Elimination is a natural and pleasurable experience for
your dog. You can teach her to not soil your house, but punishment
will NOT help. It will only teach the dog to hide when she needs to eliminate.

BusterBoo
May 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM
yup....everything that TeriM said and don't forget, your neighbours will think you are CRAZY for standing outside cheering for GOOD POOPS!!!!

It takes time and patience.....don't forget most skin kid can take up to 2 yrs to Potty Train.....so 10 weeks old for a puppy is still very young! (sorry, don't mean to compare kids to puppies.... :)

t.pettet
May 24th, 2008, 10:26 PM
You have unreasonable expectations for a 10 wk old puppy. After he's eliminated outside put him in an area where he can be monitored (no free run of the house yet) or in his crate him until the next outside visit. The fact that he even knows at this tender age to eliminate outside atleast 1/2 the time is a credit to the little guy. He needs patience, monitoring and lots of praise.

Jewels&Casey
May 24th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I have found that with both my girls that just when you're about to give up, they GET IT! I found Jewels harder to house train than Casey. But then, Jewels is a real hellion. I think she did it on purpose just to get my goat. ;)

luckypenny
May 25th, 2008, 06:37 AM
TerriM's suggestions are quite fail-proof :thumbs up . We follow that guidelline for every puppy we've had and have always been successful. At 10 weeks, your pup is still very young to expect him to be perfectly housetrained. We have a 10 week old pup too right now and although he's always been perfectly clean in his crate, he still has an accident every now and then (although it's been 2 days days since his last one, woohoo), but because I wasn't paying enough attention to him.

Some pups take longer than others. Our Penny was almost 6 months (we had her for a month already) before she finally caught on :shrug: so I know not to expect too much from a 10 week old.

BusterBoo, I compare the dogs to the kids all the time....I only wish the kids were as easy to train :laughing: .

Dingo
May 25th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Also, it may be obvious, but dogs like to go where they've gone before, so you have to clean up all indoor messes using a scent eliminator. You can buy them in spray bottles at the pet store.

hazelrunpack
May 25th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Persistence, patience and due diligence. :D I'd just about given up on Cole at 7 months...he was still 'hit and miss' on the trips out. We were considering buying stock in the company that made the deodorizer we used because we were going through so much of it. Ran test after test...all were normal. Finally talked to a vet who told me the story of his golden--took 8 months before he was housebroken. Sure enough, by the end of the 8th month, Cole was rock solid on signalling that he needed out. :thumbs up

Likely it won't take your dog that long. 10 weeks is still extremely young for him to be catching on to the whole thing. But it will happen...just be patient and consistent.

And as a reward: we've found that the ones that take the longest to house train are the ones that are the most reliable at not going in the house for the rest of their lives. :dog: